PDA

View Full Version : Pope Benedict XVI - Has resigned

Formalhaut
02-11-2013, 05:13 PM
http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2013/2/11/220709/default/v2/rtr3dmsm-1-522x293.jpg

Pope Benedict XVI resigns (http://news.sky.com/story/1050513/pope-benedict-resigns-vatican-confirms)

"The pope is to become the first Pope since 1415 to step down as leader of the catholic church"

So, what are your reactions to the Pope's resignation? Are you glad, or are you saddened? I know there's the odd catholic member on EoFF, so I'd love to hear their take on this as well :D

Personally, I'm glad. He really put a stop to progressive change; he was against homosexuality and marriage, euthanasia and abortion. Sure, it IS the catholic church and he is the head of it, but he was very vocal about such issues.

Because of this, I'm not exactly saddened at all. I'm glad.

Discuss.

Sephex
02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
He probably misses his Hitler youth group.

Shauna
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Cool? I dunno. Don't really care.

Jinx
02-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Woah.

Also, even though I disagreed with his views, as the Pope he SHOULD have those views. It's in the Bible. If you're the leader of your (sect of) religion, you should be preaching what's in your holy book. Just saying.

Agent Proto
02-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I am indifferent to this news. In some ways, it is unprecedented for someone of his stature to step down, but he is citing age and heath reasons. There is this tweet that I found funny. It said something like the pope realized that he is getting too old for this shit. I hope that the next pope is someone of colored and from another part of the world other than europe. Let's see a black pope, dammit.

Chris
02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Growing up Catholic, I feel so sorry for what the Vatican has become. These people must be so sexually suppressed that they act out, and molest the easiest targets available. I hate how people cringe when they hear that you're Catholic. It's become nothing but a joke.

Pumpkin
02-11-2013, 05:47 PM
As one of the other odd Catholic members, I am sad, because it's the pope, but hopefully the next pope can help clean up the church some.

Parker
02-11-2013, 05:50 PM
It would be nice if he said he was closing down the vatican on his way out but never mind.

Formalhaut
02-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I hope that the next pope is someone of colored and from another part of the world other than europe. Let's see a black pope, dammit.

I was watching a Sky News thing about it, and they had a infographic up about possible new popes. Two of the six were black.

So you can only hope.

Yar
02-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I can't post my true thoughts about the Pope or The Catholic Church without being banned. :) So I'll just say that I really don't care too much about this. When they start actually fixing their corruption, call me~

Madame Adequate
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Cristina Odone – Telegraph Blogs (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/author/cristinaodone/)

Apparently it's harder to be a Catholic now than in Diocletian's day. Who knew?

Rantz
02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
I vote Benedict Cumberbatch for next pope. Won't have to change the t-shirts.

krissy
02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
with the next pope rome is supposed to fall

Prophecy of the Popes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes)

and now for some comedy:

i hear disney's hiring for the next star wars movie though

i hear apple's hiring also so

scientology's picking him up ain't they

well quitting like that's gonna ruin his unemployment insurance plan

now back out of comedy:

there's already betting going on on who'll be next

5/2 Cardinal Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson
3/1 Cardinal Marc Ouellet
4/1 Cardinal Francis Arinze
6/1 Cardinal Angelo Scola
10/1 Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga
14/1 Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone
14/1 Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco
16/1 Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio
25/1 Cardinal Leonardo Sandri
25/1 Cardinal Claudio Hummes
25/1 Cardinal Wilfred Fox Napier
33/1 Cardinal Dionigi Tettamanzi
33/1 Archbishop Raymond Burke
33/1 Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera
33/1 Archbishop Gianfranco Ravasi
33/1 Cardinal Timothy Dolan
33/1 Cardinal Camillo Ruini
33/1 Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn
33/1 Cardinal Ivan Dias
40/1 Cardinal Francisco Javier Errazuriz Ossa
40/1 Cardinal William Levada
66/1 Cardinal George Pell
66/1 Monsignor Pietro Parolin

that first guy BLACK guys
black

HIV/AIDS and condoms
In 2009, he reaffirmed the Catholic social teaching on contraception, in regard to statements made by Pope Benedict XVI that condoms were not a solution to Africa’s AIDS crisis and were taken out of context by the media.[16] Turkson did not rule out condoms in all circumstances suggesting they could be useful in the situation of a married, faithful couple where one partner is infected; although he warns that, as the quality of condoms in Africa is poor, their use could engender false confidence. He said abstinence, fidelity, and refraining from sex if infected were the key to fighting the epidemic. He also believes that the money being spent on condoms would be better spent providing anti-retroviral drugs to those already infected.[17][18][19]

[edit]Reform of the international financial system
In response to the global economic crisis started in 2008, Cardinal Turkson together with bishop Mario Toso elaborated a proposal to reform the international financial system by creating a Global Public Authority and a Global Bank that consider the interest of all developing countries. The document of 40 pages was officially presented in October 2011 and criticizes the actual structure of International Monetary Fund and other institutions

Denmark
02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
nobody likes a quitter

Laddy
02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Fuck it, I'mma be Pope.

Psychotic
02-11-2013, 06:18 PM
I would like to direct you all to this post. (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/148512-if-you-had-money.html#post3212234) This is the first step. :cool:

Bunny
02-11-2013, 06:26 PM
I heard about this earlier and then I ate a sandwich.

Faris
02-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Who? Wha? Oh... Ooookay

qwertysaur
02-11-2013, 08:01 PM
I guess they didn't let him take wild joyrides through all the roads of the world in the popemobile. :

Old Manus
02-11-2013, 08:10 PM
I thought the papacy was some sort of divine burden? You can't just quit. I bet God is pissed.

Rantz
02-11-2013, 08:23 PM
I thought the papacy was some sort of divine burden? You can't just quit. I bet God is pissed.

I heard the quitting thing was just for appearances. The truth is that the economy is so bad that even God is laying people off.

Forsaken Lover
02-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Have the anti-Catholics ever heard a little saying "let he who is without sin cast the first stone?" I forget who said it - some hippie fag probably.

But the point is, religious people and non-religious people tend to be equally irritating and self-righteous.

krissy
02-11-2013, 08:31 PM
not sure how that statement is relevant to the thread
there's no anti-/pro- debate going on here
it's mostly jokes about a news event

Shorty
02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
It doesn't affect me and I could not are less.

Jowy
02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Betting on the papacy? I'd say that's cardinal sin!

Formalhaut
02-11-2013, 10:42 PM
It's only betting if there's money involved :p

Denmark
02-11-2013, 11:31 PM
anyone else think he's gonna come back on easter and be like "jk i was just giving up the papacy for lent"

Raistlin
02-12-2013, 12:36 AM
I hope the next Pope is slightly more sane, but I'm not holding my breath.

My only thoughts on the former Pope can be adequately summed up by Tim Minchin's song "Fuck the Pope." (NSFW if you look it up on youtube)

Cuchulainn
02-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Next pope should be Irish. Irish and this guy

Tigmafuzz
02-12-2013, 12:50 AM
what's a "pope?"

Formalhaut
02-12-2013, 12:56 AM
http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2013/2/11/220841/default/v2/161482140-1-252x337.jpg

Oh no! His resignation has invoked god's wrath. This picture was taken just today! (http://news.sky.com/story/1050513/pope-benedict-resigns-and-stuns-the-world)

krissy
02-12-2013, 01:29 AM
there's a camera trained on the basilica taking snapshots every second?

Clo
02-12-2013, 02:12 AM
I'm the new Pope.

May it rain toads on ye heathens!

DrAssenov
02-12-2013, 03:02 AM
As a Catholic, I'm sad to say that I am used to all the hatred and ignorance about my faith. I can't really blame you all for not knowing, though, since we are all different and come from all corners of the world.

However, what I cannot stand for is bullying of other people's religions. This is unreasonable and you all know better than that.

Jokes aside, we should all have a general respect for one another, treating each other with the dignity that we all deserve as human beings. We all have our reasons for believing what we do, some are considered strange, some ridiculous, and some tainted by the errors of those who supposedly practice the belief. If you don't know the full extent of a situation or a belief and don't have anything nice to say except for a nasty generalization, then don't say anything at all. All this is doing is pissing off people in an unreasonable way. Religious intolerance is unacceptable.

I'm not really expecting much as a response from this post of mine, but as a fellow believer in a religion I love, I couldn't just watch silently.

Now, onto the original post -
I think it's alright that Pope Benedict is resigning. He is probably really tired -- he's pretty old. I just wonder who will be next...

qwertysaur
02-12-2013, 03:11 AM
I'm the new Pope.

May it rain toads on ye heathens!
Will you take everyone for rides in the popemobile? :bigsmile:

Clouded Sky
02-12-2013, 05:56 AM
Read this somewhere on the internet and had a good laugh:

I'd quit my job too if my boss never showed up.

Araciel
02-12-2013, 06:05 AM
lol pope

Old Manus
02-12-2013, 12:42 PM
assorted indignation Don't worry, I'm sure the Lord has set aside a particularly cruel flavour of eternal damnation for those heretical enough to poke fun at the absurdity of his divinely selected terrestrial mouthpiece deciding to pack it all in.

Shauna
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Ex-Benedict, etc.

Jinx
02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Pope Benedict Arnold XVI

Shiny
02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Now time to elect another child fucker.

Formalhaut
02-12-2013, 11:24 PM
However, what I cannot stand for is bullying of other people's religions. This is unreasonable and you all know better than that.

If you don't know the full extent of a situation or a belief and don't have anything nice to say except for a nasty generalization, then don't say anything at all. All this is doing is pissing off people in an unreasonable way. Religious intolerance is unacceptable.

I'm not really expecting much as a response from this post of mine, but as a fellow believer in a religion I love, I couldn't just watch silently.

I don't really think it is in 'bad taste', as such. It certainly isn't targeted to any individual, at least not on my part. I'm sorry if I have offended you Dr. Assenov! If there's any posts of mine that you feel has been disrespectful, I am more than happy to amend the mistake! :D

I do see where your coming from though. From a comedic point of view, jokes about Catholics and paedophilia is definitely in bad taste, perhaps even downright insulting, not to mention very old (as old as jokes about Aeroplane food)

I take a very pragmatic view to world religions anyhow. As a Christian, perhaps I'm not really in a position to argue with other religions as sometimes it does get a very bad reputation, not just for Catholics. All sorts of religions get a bad name, which really isn't justified: Muslims get called terrorists, Catholics are downright homophobes and child smurfers, Jehovah's Witnesses are downright nut-jobs with a door-knocking fetish. It is not on.

We should definitely have rights to disagree though. I'm definitely against many of the Pope's teachings on abortion, homosexuality, contraception etc. Does that mean I should call him and his religion a bunch of paedophiles? Of course not. It'd be a massive over-generalisation to do so. I guess it is easier when you have friends from many different religions. I was friends with a Jehovah's Witness and while I was incredulous with their lack of approval for birthdays, I liked him anyway.

I fear I may have gone off-topic, on my own thread. *sigh*

Bunny
02-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Religious intolerance is unacceptable.

So is intolerance based on religion.

Formalhaut
02-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Religious intolerance is unacceptable.

So is intolerance based on religion.

I find 'an eye for an eye' mentalities slightly unhelpful. It quickly turns into a "well their against [insert controversial topic here] and that, so why can't I claim their all a bunch of child fiddlers?"

While I can understand perhaps why you might be tempted to start countering with their own faults, eventually we just start picking faults, almost for the sake of doing so.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-13-2013, 02:18 AM
The problem is that this is Gen Chat, so no one is going to be overly serious here, thus you gotta take the pedo comments with a grain of salt. Not saying it is right to categorize the whole clergy as pedos, just that it is Gen Chat where things like this happen. :/

Shorty
02-13-2013, 02:27 AM
TSoL is correct. DrA, this is General Chat. Unfortunately for Catholicism and every other moderately serious subject that is posted in this forum, this thread was made to be taken in light and is not the source of ignorant bullying. If you've taken offense to what has been said here then I am very sorry, but the members of this forum are allowed to speak freely here as long as it's all in good fun (which, I can assure you, it is).

I can't be the only one who thinks that the pope looks like Anthony Hopkins and, by extension, Hannibal Lector.

Sephex
02-13-2013, 02:31 AM
THE EOEO VIRUS IS SPREADING! SOMEONE CONTAIN IT!!!

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-13-2013, 02:44 AM
IT IS TOO LATE. It is like homosexuality: contact contaminant.

theundeadhero
02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
If I was that old and I wanted to stop doing something I would quit too. What are they going to do, tell him how disappointed they are in him? He's too old to care.

Renmiri
02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Pope Scola - Coke will sue

Madame Adequate
02-13-2013, 04:44 PM
I can't be the only one who thinks that the pope looks like Anthony Hopkins and, by extension, Hannibal Lector.

You are, because he clearly looks like Emperor Palpatine.

Old Manus
02-13-2013, 04:58 PM
No, you're thinking of Arsene Wenger (according to BoB).

http://i.imgur.com/Sax2q.png

black orb
02-14-2013, 08:44 AM
>>> The next one will be the last..:luca:

Jinx
02-14-2013, 03:19 PM
>>> The next one will be the last..:luca:

I've heard that too.

DrAssenov
02-14-2013, 03:53 PM
I don't really think it is in 'bad taste', as such. It certainly isn't targeted to any individual, at least not on my part. I'm sorry if I have offended you Dr. Assenov! If there's any posts of mine that you feel has been disrespectful, I am more than happy to amend the mistake! :D

I do see where your coming from though. From a comedic point of view, jokes about Catholics and paedophilia is definitely in bad taste, perhaps even downright insulting, not to mention very old (as old as jokes about Aeroplane food)

I take a very pragmatic view to world religions anyhow. As a Christian, perhaps I'm not really in a position to argue with other religions as sometimes it does get a very bad reputation, not just for Catholics. All sorts of religions get a bad name, which really isn't justified: Muslims get called terrorists, Catholics are downright homophobes and child smurfers, Jehovah's Witnesses are downright nut-jobs with a door-knocking fetish. It is not on.

We should definitely have rights to disagree though. I'm definitely against many of the Pope's teachings on abortion, homosexuality, contraception etc. Does that mean I should call him and his religion a bunch of paedophiles? Of course not. It'd be a massive over-generalisation to do so. I guess it is easier when you have friends from many different religions. I was friends with a Jehovah's Witness and while I was incredulous with their lack of approval for birthdays, I liked him anyway.

I fear I may have gone off-topic, on my own thread. *sigh*

Thank you! All religions certainly have had their uh, bad apples that don't represent their teachings ("I love Christianity, but I hate the Christians.") I have a wide variety of friends from different religions, and even amongst my Christian friends, there's bantering and jokes there. I try to avoid it because it's ridiculous and like you said, as old as ever and will never end.
You definitely have the right and free will to choose what to believe, and that should never be taken from you or be made fun of. I'm sorry if I came across as um, excuse the term, hard-ass, but sometimes it's hard to express yourself online with only text! I still love hanging here with you guys and everything.

Anyway, it should be interesting to see who's next. Last time, for lack of motivation to actually GOOGLE it, I believe they had to pray for quite some time to select the next pope. Something about shutting in a bunch of bishops to pray and vote on the next pope for several days... I can't imagine praying that long! I think at the end of each day, they light a fire in the fireplace, and the color of smoke that comes out of the chimney signifies whether or not they voted on a pope yet. Very interesting... I guess they don't like using electronic ballots, ha ha.

Did not know about the lack of approval about birthdays-- had some interesting events with Jehova Witnesses in the hospital, though.

Formalhaut
02-14-2013, 06:09 PM
and the color of smoke that comes out of the chimney signifies whether or not they voted on a pope yet. Very interesting... I guess they don't like using electronic ballots, ha ha.

It's the Catholic church. They've only recently started Twitter :p

As for the smoke, basically, black smoke means no pope has been decided, while white smoke means that he has been found.

Jinx
02-14-2013, 06:13 PM
and the color of smoke that comes out of the chimney signifies whether or not they voted on a pope yet. Very interesting... I guess they don't like using electronic ballots, ha ha.

As for the smoke, basically, black smoke means no pope has been decided, while white smoke means that he has been found.

I wonder what they are smoking.

Formalhaut
02-14-2013, 06:14 PM

I wonder what they are smoking.

Why did I know you would say that :D

Jinx
02-15-2013, 04:16 AM

You are, because he clearly looks like Emperor Palpatine.