PDA

View Full Version : Books you've nearly memorized

Shorty
02-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Are there any books you have that you've read over and over to the point of nearly memorizing them?

I'm this way with Ender's Game. I read it atleast once a year and I feel like I could recite a good portion of it if I needed to. I haven't read Speaker for the Dead as often, but that would be probably next on the list.

What books do you pick up over and over again?

escobert
02-11-2013, 11:30 PM
None because I remember lots of things from the first time I read it! so I rarely if ever re-read a book. Same with games. Gotta have lots more stuff for me to do or I'll just never pick it up again.

Jinx
02-11-2013, 11:32 PM
I have large portions of Memoirs of a Geisha memorized.

Chris
02-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Bram Stoker's Dracula. I find myself quietly reciting lines from this amazing book. :(

G13
02-12-2013, 12:21 AM
The Cat in the Hat.

Tigmafuzz
02-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Far too many :( a lot of random novels, textbooks, wikipedia pages... practically all I do in my spare time these days is read.

Pike
02-12-2013, 01:23 AM
I think I've read Watership Down the most of all books (not counting kids' books and such). I don't think I quite have it memorized, though.

When I was little I read a chapter book called Sam the Cat: Detective about a million times and I think I had parts of that memorized for sure.

Raistlin
02-13-2013, 12:17 AM
The closest for me would probably be parts of the DragonLance series (first two trilogies) and Death Gate Cycle, from how often I read those series growing up. I haven't read either of them in years, but I still know almost every detail.

Del Murder
02-20-2013, 05:58 AM
No books, but I can pretty much recite Die Hard, Jurassic Park, and Star Wars from memory.

Rantz
02-20-2013, 06:03 AM
Where the wild things are.

:shifty:

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-20-2013, 06:13 AM
Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn, all by R.A. Salvatore. I've read that trilogy WAY too many times.

Mirage
02-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Science textbooks from high school.

Mercen-X
02-21-2013, 03:23 AM
I rarely ever read books. I don't have a particularly high tolerance for lengthy wordy descriptive run-on sentences of nearing-1000-page novels. I'm fairly selective that way. Aside from the fact that I pretty much glaze over the longwinded descriptive parts, I pretty much am able to remember much of the text of books I read after the first reading. My interest in the book is enough to make nearly every word stand out in memory. However, if I were to read it again, there's a chance I might start to wonder why I read it at all which could cause my interest to dip thus my memory of the text would gradually be replaced by things I like better.

Yeargdribble
02-21-2013, 05:14 AM
Much of H.P. Lovecraft's oeuvre. I'm generally not one for rereading a lot, but they are fairly dense and lend themselves to a lot of unpacking of sentences and interesting vocabulary. Then I started reading a lot of them again with my wife. Then I found the H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast (http://hppodcraft.com/) and pretty much read many of them again to be fresh to listen to episodes.

I tend to listen to audiobooks or podcasts to help me sleep and ones I've heard before make it especially easy, so I've listened a lot of audiobook versions many times (love Wayne June's). I've also probably listened to most episodes of the podcast 2 or more times though most of those repeats are while drifting to sleep. Skeptoid (http://skeptoid.com/) is another fantastic sleep podcast. My wife almost can't sleep without Brian Dunning's voice, but that's sort of off topic.

Outside of Lovecraft, I really had a thing for The Count of Monte Cristo, but that book is a little much to have memorized.

Also, I don't understand the fascination with Ender's Game. I read it and enjoyed it. I got hung up on book 6 in the series mostly just out of being busy, but I've never reread Ender's Game. Maybe it's because the first time I read it I was already nearly 30 and it just didn't hit me the way it might a MS or HS age person. It's a so-so book with a sort of Mary Sue protagonist.

I liked Speaker much more. I feel like Ender's Game is like The Hobbit... lighter and more kid friendly. The following 3 are more like LOTR. Way denser and not necessarily for the youngest audience. They really got deep into some stuff and I personally kept feeling like Orson Scott Card was writing a screed against religion. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I would've thought he was an atheist author pushing his point of view through narrative a la Philip Pullman. It makes me sad that a man who can see the most horrible parts of religious bigotry and even touch on the topic of love not caring about gender... that same man can be so proud of his BS religious heritage and be one of the most vocally anti-gay people out there.

Wow... I suck at staying on topic.

Shorty
02-21-2013, 05:19 AM
Thankfully, he's managed to leave his nonsense beliefs out of the Ender books I've read (so far).

I found this quote today:

"If you don’t read Ender’s Game for the first time as a 12-year-old at the bottom of the social totem pole but convinced of your own transcendent intellect, you’re missing an essential part of the experience.”

That much is definitely true for me. I grew up with it since the age of ten and it just kindof became a part of me. Had I picked it up at my age now or later in life, I'd feel much differently about it. I was reading about Ender at the same age he was in the story and it made it that much easier for me to relate to.

Speaker is equally as fantastic, though, and second on my nearly-memorized list.

Quindiana Jones
02-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Tiger! Tiger! by Alfred Bester.

ChristinaVera
02-21-2013, 07:09 AM
the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Bubba
02-21-2013, 08:38 AM
The Hungry Caterpillar

Madame Adequate
02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Tiger! Tiger! by Alfred Bester.

Dat Gully Foyle!

World War Z for me. :(

NorthernChaosGod
02-21-2013, 07:31 PM
World War Z for me. :(

The Zombie Survival Guide for me. For research.

Freya
02-22-2013, 05:46 AM

And One Last Thing... by Molly Harper. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7100200-and-one-last-thing) I dunno why I love this book so much but I can just pick it up and read it and thoroughly enjoy it every single time. Maybe it's cause the writer is just funny. Her writing is Buffy-esque.

Unbreakable Will
02-22-2013, 06:57 PM
I love Ender"s Game, awesome book.
I've read a few of the Maslazan Book of the Fallen series books enough where I've nearly memorized the plot. If you've never read a Steven Erikson novel then you don't realize that saying that much alone is a huge accomplishment.
So much plot, so little time.

Laddy
02-24-2013, 12:06 PM
I have the first trilogy of Dragonlance pretty well-memorized. Also, In Cold Blood is something I could give a very good synopsis on as I've had to study it so much for a class.