PDA

View Full Version : 11 Minute Footage of Tomb Raider Released!

Night Fury
02-12-2013, 11:57 AM
An 11-minute 'trailer' has been released by Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics which shows a walkthrough of the level titled "Monastery Escape"

Creative Director Noah Hughes provides an insightful commentary throughout the walkthrough, telling explaining the reasoning behind the AI system inbuilt into the combat system in the game. He comments: "we tried to make the AI adapt to the situation, but also promote movement from the player."

There are fast action sequences when Lara ziplines from one roof to another and falls through it - she takes a nasty tumble and the player has to save her by pressing the buttons which show up on the screen. The crash of course grabs the attention of some pretty nasty looking enemies; and so the player must stay hanging from the edge of the building until they leave. "The best strategy is to assess the situation before you jump in all guns blazing."

The player is also able to use the environment to their advantage, as seen when Lara blows up a cannister and "decimates her enemies" Sometimes however, the environment is out to get her too - whilst falling through a fast flowing river, Lara doesn't move quick enough to avoid getting herself stabbed right through the neck by a very sharp spike.

Perhaps the most interesting feature is the realistic use of injuries. After all of this falling and fighting, one would expect Lara to not be able to stand - well that's not too far from the truth. After falling through the river and parachuting her way down the mountain, Lara is covered in blood and practically crawling across the floor.

"You can't necessarily climb from roof to roof like you might if you were in the best of health."

The basis of the trailer is to show us just how immersive this game is; everything is alive and out to get you, and Lara is never safe...

You think you know Tomb Raider?
Think again.

2NjZtEiosgA
Tomb Raider is due for release on March 5th

[Source: Xbox 360 News: Crystal Dynamics releases 11 minute Tomb Raider video with commentary - Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine (http://www.oxm.co.uk/50125/crystal-dynamics-releases-11-minute-tomb-raider-video-with-commentary/) ]

Quindiana Jones
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Ah, sweet, pointless quick time events. Thank god, otherwise the effort the developers put into creating an immersive world might not've gone to waste.

Raistlin
02-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Does anyone actually like quick time events? They're such a ridiculously lazy game mechanic and seem to be universally reviled.

Otherwise, the gameplay looks pretty cool. I like the dynamic environments, though I hope the game isn't as linear as it seems so far, which would minimize the impact and immersiveness of the environments. The grisly death scene was amusing.

black orb
02-13-2013, 02:27 AM
>>> Wow, I thought this game was about assaulting tombs, fighting mummies, dodge traps and treasure stealing, how wrong I was.

BTW, I dont liked it. I expected mummies..:luca:

blackmage_nuke
02-13-2013, 08:20 AM
I havent played a Tomb Raider game since the ps1 era but it looks like they took a look at the Tomb Raider clone known as Uncharted and decided to make an Uncharted clone.

Night Fury
02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Does anyone actually like quick time events? They're such a ridiculously lazy game mechanic and seem to be universally reviled.

Otherwise, the gameplay looks pretty cool. I like the dynamic environments, though I hope the game isn't as linear as it seems so far, which would minimize the impact and immersiveness of the environments. The grisly death scene was amusing.

I do sometimes. They keep me on my toes if used correctly :P

Quindiana Jones
02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
I find good game design is more effective at keeping my attention.

Iceglow
02-14-2013, 10:33 PM
QTEs are now appearing in every type of game, from 3rd person adventure/action games to FPS games (hello Halo 4 and Call of Duty, looking at you two in particular) sometimes QTEs can be done well and make sense. For example without marking the spoilers the final part of Halo 4, Halo has never been a game with the big "boss battle" set pieces really, sure some parts of the campaign levels are harder than others but these aren't always the end of the game. The closest they came throughout the series so far was the final level of Halo 2 as the Arbiter against the brute leader. The QTE in Halo 4 whilst an exact imitation of how Call of Duty has handled most of it's "final boss" fights since Call Of Duty 4 (especially in the modern warfare series of games) fitted with the need to tell the storyline of the battle with the ability to provide player input rather than just an FMV. Though I think I'd have welcomed an option to have an FMV there perhaps an optional QTEs Off setting in the options.

At least the QTE's of this game don't seem so bad, they certainly fit more with this genre of game than they do with the FPS genre.

Aulayna
02-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Whilst it definately doesn't look Tomb Raider-y and more like Uncharted as the others have said I still think it shows potential and I'll be checking it out.

Iceglow
02-15-2013, 12:23 AM
To be honest the whole "this looks very Uncharted like" crap shot is exactly that; a crap shot. Tomb Raider was the basis for the original Uncharted game. We all knew deep down when Uncharted came out and everyone dubbed it the "Tomb Raider of the PS3 generation" that if there ever was a Tomb Raider produced for this generation then in all likeliness it would be pretty much like an Uncharted game but with a female lead. The idea of going back, rebooting the Tomb Raider franchise is not such a bad idea either as the story by the Angel of Darkness game had gotten pretty darn ludicrous.

I certainly will be keeping an eye on this game and will look to either purchase it or rent it to try it out.

Aulayna
02-15-2013, 01:27 AM
I don't see anyone in this thread saying that the reboot was bad idea?

Loony BoB
02-15-2013, 12:57 PM
To be honest the whole "this looks very Uncharted like" crap shot is exactly that; a crap shot. Tomb Raider was the basis for the original Uncharted game. We all knew deep down when Uncharted came out and everyone dubbed it the "Tomb Raider of the PS3 generation" that if there ever was a Tomb Raider produced for this generation then in all likeliness it would be pretty much like an Uncharted game but with a female lead. The idea of going back, rebooting the Tomb Raider franchise is not such a bad idea either as the story by the Angel of Darkness game had gotten pretty darn ludicrous.

I certainly will be keeping an eye on this game and will look to either purchase it or rent it to try it out.
Yeah, pretty much this... I haven't played Tomb Raider much before, and I'm not sure if this is a complete reboot, either. What I mean is that they may keep it in the same canon/universe/chronology as the other games despite the title. With that in mind, they can't have her experiencing mummies for the first time if it's already established that she already experiences them for the first time later in her life (ie, in an earlier TR game). If anything abnormal was a 'first' for her in the other TR games then it should not be used in this game. With that in mind, I think it will be somewhat lacking in the weird and supernatural.

Also, I don't mind if there are Uncharted clones because Uncharted is one of my favourite series ever. Being likened to some of the best games of all time is not always a bad thing. =]

Iceglow
02-15-2013, 10:00 PM
the biggest argument there BoB is; is Tomb Raider mimicking Uncharted? A game which owes everything about it to the original series of Tomb Raider games? If so does that make Uncharted still the Tomb Raider clone? All of a sudden my head is beginning to hurt and my eyes are glazing over.

Either way the game so far looks interesting and pretty good. I'm especially happy with some of the scenes we've seen there, it looks like Lara will have multiple routes to an objective rather than purely one scripted path perhaps, I foresee that making the game interesting to play.

Loony BoB
02-16-2013, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't know, I've never played the first Tomb Raider games. :D But I suspect it's kind of like saying every FPS is a Quake clone, because you can look around and jump and shoot things in the middle of your screen... sometimes the games just are similar.

To me, it looks like Uncharted is rather different because you certainly don't go around picking up equipment like lighters. Also, I do wonder what happens when you press 'X' over those dead scavengers in that video (now that I've finally watched it). I'd say they're different enough based on that video, though, yeah.

Shauna
02-16-2013, 10:55 AM
What I mean is that they may keep it in the same canon/universe/chronology as the other games despite the title. With that in mind, they can't have her experiencing mummies for the first time if it's already established that she already experiences them for the first time later in her life (ie, in an earlier TR game). If anything abnormal was a 'first' for her in the other TR games then it should not be used in this game. With that in mind, I think it will be somewhat lacking in the weird and supernatural.

It is a prequel in the same universe. Before she becomes the badass seen in the original TR games. Also regarding the mummies/supernatural... she genuinely doesn't seem to give a damn about any of the weird crazy supernatural stuff she comes across in the original TR series. She just deals with it and moves on. xD So, I imagine that supernatural could occur if they so feel like it.

Aulayna
02-16-2013, 04:59 PM
the biggest argument there BoB is; is Tomb Raider mimicking Uncharted? A game which owes everything about it to the original series of Tomb Raider games? If so does that make Uncharted still the Tomb Raider clone? All of a sudden my head is beginning to hurt and my eyes are glazing over.

I really don't see what you're trying to achieve here other than being excessively nitpicky.

Yes Uncharted was influenced by Tomb Raider, likewise Tomb Raider was influenced in part by all those old DOS text adventure games and the likes of Flashback from the 16-bit era. People drawing similarities is not a bad thing. Nearly everything is influenced by something these days. They are still very unique games in their own right.

The fact is, from this 11 minute trailer it's very clear that this reboot has taken onboard some of the design changes and influences of the Uncharted series. No-one's writing it off based on these 11 minutes but these 11 minutes do show something that is far more action orientated than what lifelong fans have been used too which is where people are drawing the connection from.

Considering Uncharted is a fantastic series in it's own right I'd hardly say that "it looks like Uncharted" is such a negative remark as you seem to be implying it is.

Iceglow
02-16-2013, 07:35 PM
BoB gets where I'm coming from more I think Aulayna. I'm getting at the whole labelling it an Uncharted clone means you have to label Uncharted a Tomb Raider clone and so on and so forth until it becomes ridiculous to do so, especially since you're then saying Tomb Raider is a clone of a game which is a clone of Tomb Raider which is a bit of a stupid statement to make I'm sure we can all agree. I say the same thing when people label Halo 4 a Call of Duty clone, or when they label any JRPG as a Final Fantasy clone... Yes games evolve over time and whilst not everyone will agree the changes made are for the better such as the recent upset over how different Halo 4 was from Halo Reach and Halo 3 before it (which yes affects me too, to an extent I've still enjoyed playing Halo 4 online though) and how much it seemed to reflect things from Call of Duty; sprinting, loadouts, equipment unlocks depending on level/certain requirements of usage of weaponry/equipment or even the destruction of certain equipment which make being a higher level more advantageous. Labelling Halo 4 which still has a core set of Halo skills and mechanics which make a difference a Call of Duty clone is silly because you could as BoB rightly pointed out link every FPS back to Quake and from there take that equally as easily back to Doom and Castle Wolfenstein.

Madame Adequate
02-17-2013, 12:13 AM
QTEs were great in Shenmue and haven't ever been used well since.