PDA

View Full Version : British 90's Music

Night Fury
02-12-2013, 04:22 PM
HNB just told me that Blur - 'Parklife', Pulp - 'Common People' and Supergrass - 'Alright' are terrible and he'd never heard of them before I showed him. These, to me, are pretty definitive 90's songs.

He is wrong on so many levels.

British music was bloody awesome in the 90's. Lets discuss why this is a fact.

yuTMWgOduFM

Iceglow
02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Gotta agree apart from the Pulp link there you're spot on. Jarvis Cocker was and will ever be a complete :bou::bou::bou::bou:, thankfully I've had the chance to tell him that to his face.

Shorty
02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
You're lucky Calliope isn't around to hear you say that.

charliepanayi
02-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Pulp were brilliant, especially This is Hardcore. Also the obvious stuff like Blur, Oasis (before they got really bad) and Radiohead. Plus Super Furry Animals and Spiritualized are two of my favourite bands from that era.

Shoeberto
02-12-2013, 05:20 PM
The Brits have consistently put out some of the best and most creative music for some time now, likely going long before The Beatles but they're the earliest reference point I have. No need to bound it to a particular decade.

Iceglow
02-12-2013, 05:35 PM
You're lucky Calliope isn't around to hear you say that.

I'm lucky IDGAF.

Psychotic
02-12-2013, 06:25 PM
You know what, Lockharted? You're alright. :)

Going to say though it was a travesty Oasis lost battle of the bands.

Araciel
02-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Thought it was..

'British music was bloody awesome in the 60's'

/leaves

Forsaken Lover
02-12-2013, 07:02 PM
I prefer British music from the 80s myself. Most of my favorite 80s groups are from good ol' England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSZU3u3eUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShN8UIk5-mw

krissy
02-12-2013, 10:10 PM
yeah this is totes nicky's thread
anywya i am fond of all that
common people etc

guys, check out the futureheads

The Futureheads - Hounds Of Love - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fcMAM9B7yAA)

Aulayna
02-12-2013, 10:25 PM
HNB just told me that Blur - 'Parklife', Pulp - 'Common People' and Supergrass - 'Alright' are terrible and he'd never heard of them before I showed him. These, to me, are pretty definitive 90's songs.

He is wrong on so many levels.

British music was bloody awesome in the 90's. Lets discuss why this is a fact.

yuTMWgOduFM

WTF? I hope you dumped him on the spot for that transgression.

Denmark
02-13-2013, 02:11 AM
british music was awesome in all decades

Jinx
02-13-2013, 04:19 AM
2H5uWRjFsGc

/thread

Pumpkin
02-13-2013, 04:31 AM
Oasis :jess:. Probably other stuff, but I can't be bothered to think.

Calliope
02-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Sup sup sup Krissay & Sarah :love:

I ain't gonna school you kids! If you don't do your homework, you're only cheating yourselves (https://twitter.com/NoelOasisQuotes/status/245213497359740928/photo/1).

Cool Britannia, obvs: Live Forever - Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRHhk1NWZBs)

Modern Life is Rubbish: Blur - No Distance Left To Run Trailer HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJsGq5Znxag)

Bubba
02-26-2013, 01:07 PM
I would say The Stone Roses as well but their best songs were released in 1989. They still influenced a lot of the big 90's Indie bands. I suppose The Smiths as well would count as influences but I can't stand Morrissey. His lyrics are overrated and he has the worst recorded voice in the history of music.

90's Indie was my era and the main names that stand out are... probably in order as well for me.

Oasis
Radiohead
Blur
Pulp
Stereophonics
Ocean Colour Scene
The Verve
James
Supergrass
Muse
Shed Seven
Cast
Placebo
Suede

charliepanayi
02-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Morrissey is one of the best lyricists ever.

Bubba
02-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Morrissey is one of the best lyricists ever.
It is pretentious tripe. I mean seriously.. how many times can you say "Hang the DJ" in one song?

On the Leeds side-streets that you slip down
Provincial towns you jog 'round
Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ

Old Manus
02-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Republica reporting in

Bubba
02-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Republica reporting in
Good call!

Night Fury
02-26-2013, 03:26 PM
I can't stand Morrissey. His lyrics are overrated and he has the worst recorded voice in the history of music.

He is indeed an irritating little shit.

charliepanayi
02-26-2013, 05:05 PM
He's certainly been irritating over the last decade, but he (he and Marr's partnership anyway) was a genius with The Smiths. Up there with Lennon and McCartney in my opinion.

Iceglow
02-26-2013, 10:33 PM
In my most humble of opinions, Morrisey is like several other artists that release their own material. They shouldn't. They ought to get others to cover their material because they don't have good voices.

Madame Adequate
02-26-2013, 10:47 PM
I still don't understand how we went from the 80s, when we had bands like Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Adam and the Ants, Japan, Soft Cell, Brian Eno, Bowie, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, and so on and so on, to the 90s, when we had some of the worst bands to ever perform, like Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Coldplay, Radiohead, and so on and so on. I don't think any country or culture in any context in the history of the world has undergone such an abrupt about-face or fall from grace.

Iceglow
02-27-2013, 03:09 AM
I still don't understand how we went from the 80s, when we had bands like Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Adam and the Ants, Japan, Soft Cell, Brian Eno, Bowie, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, and so on and so on, to the 90s, when we had some of the worst bands to ever perform, like Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Coldplay, Radiohead, and so on and so on. I don't think any country or culture in any context in the history of the world has undergone such an abrupt about-face or fall from grace.

Well I suppose you can really blame the american market, the dis-satisfaction of an angry and primarily ignored youth who like their predecessors turned to punk. It began with bands like The Melvins and the tail end of the 80s thrash metal scene, and built up to Grunge, from Grunge you get Brit Pop wish was pretty much the uk equivalent of the grunge scene which eventually leads in to the nu-metal scene and also the resurgence of the rap/r&b scene. Not to mention the development of the house market.

Bubba
02-27-2013, 08:26 AM
I still don't understand how we went from the 80s, when we had some of the worst bands to ever perform, like Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Adam and the Ants, Japan, Soft Cell, Brian Eno, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, and so on and so on, to the 90s, Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Coldplay, Radiohead, and so on and so on. I don't think any country or culture in any context in the history of the world has undergone such an abrupt improvement.

FIXED.

Loony BoB
02-27-2013, 10:02 AM
British 90's Music!

Yo, TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT, WHAT YOU REALLY REALLY WA---*shot by sniper*

The Man
02-27-2013, 10:26 AM
MILF and Bubba are both horribly, horribly wrong. No list of the worst bands ever should ever include Joy Division, Radiohead, Blur, or Brian Eno. Both of you need to go sit in the corner and think about what you've done. :colbert:

@topic, my message board is named after a Stone Roses song. Though I guess that was probably released in 1989.

British music was probably best in the '70s though, although there's always been plenty of interesting stuff coming out of that country.

Pumpkin
02-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I like Radiohead a good bit too.

Calliope
02-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Travis, Ash, Gomez, Elastica and Super Furry Animals all deserve accolades in this thread. By no means do Pulp and Oasis belong to any list of "worst bands ever".

Madame Adequate
02-28-2013, 05:59 AM

Well I suppose you can really blame the american market, the dis-satisfaction of an angry and primarily ignored youth who like their predecessors turned to punk. It began with bands like The Melvins and the tail end of the 80s thrash metal scene, and built up to Grunge, from Grunge you get Brit Pop wish was pretty much the uk equivalent of the grunge scene which eventually leads in to the nu-metal scene and also the resurgence of the rap/r&b scene. Not to mention the development of the house market.

Britpop was a reaction against grunge. It was also a bunch of talentless pansies and, whilst I'm not a big fan of grunge, I'd rather listen to nothing but Nirvana for the rest of my life than listen to any Britpop album even once.

Shorty
02-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Can I have an example of 90's Britpop that you would never listen to?

Pheesh
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
It's just British people talking over simple chord progressions. Except for Oasis; that's British people whinging over the top of simple chord progressions.

Madame Adequate
02-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Can I have an example of 90's Britpop that you would never listen to?

Yes. Yes you can.

Pick any 90s Britpop song.

There.

Shorty
02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
I should have been clearer. I don't know what constitutes as Britpop, although Philip helped clarify.

Pike
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
I prefer British music from the 80s myself.

Jinx
02-28-2013, 05:38 PM
D_XI_290cfw

NeoCracker
02-28-2013, 07:26 PM
D_XI_290cfw

...The fuck is wrong with you woman?

Calliope
02-28-2013, 07:26 PM
As far as the sound goes, Britpop artists have pulled influences from psychedelia, shoegaze, punk, and mod leanings; which are then best served by being showered in cocaine, wrapped in a Union Jack banner, and served atop an inverted picture of The Queen.

I think the thing that makes Britpop, Britpop is the direct, repeated mention and celebration of very British themes and places (Camden, Sheffield, Colchester, Manchester), regional accents (http://juliusseizure.tumblr.com/post/40463745176/prettygallagher-liam-gallagher-singing-the-word), and the working class. Let me see if I can think of some relevant lyrics:

There's panic at London, Heathrow, everybody wants to go up into the blue, but there's a ten year queue. Blur, He Thought of Cars.

Bank Holiday comes six times a year! Day off from work to which everyone cheers! Bank Holiday comes with a six pack of beer, then it's back to work A-G-A-I-N! Blur, Bank Holiday.

If you could make an order, could you get me one? Two sugars would be great, 'cos I'm fading fast, and it's nearly dawn. Pulp, Bar Italia.

Just behind the station, before you reach the traffic island, a river runs thru' a concrete channel. I took you there once; I think it was after the Leadmill. Pulp, Wickerman.

We want your homes, we want your lives, we want the things you won't allow us; we won't use guns, we won't use bombs, we'll use the one thing we've got more of - that's our minds. Pulp, Mis-Shapes

As stated by IMOM, Britpop was a reaction against grunge and America.

Also: Manic Street Preachers :love:

In conclusion, this (http://24.media.tumblr.com/64fd3ea46ce0f54bad7b4f359d8a8588/tumblr_mipqpx555g1qhuyx7o1_1280.jpg).

Loony BoB
02-28-2013, 09:02 PM
But where is Scary Spice in that picture? :confused:

Calliope
02-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Jeez Daniel, I can't post everything if you don't tell me what you want, what you really really want!

Denmark
02-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Jeez Daniel, I can't post everything if you don't tell me what you want, what you really really want!

I'll give you everything, on this I swear, just promise you'll always be there!

Loony BoB
02-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Stop right now, thank you very much.

Calliope
02-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Too much of something is bad enough.

Bubba
02-28-2013, 10:40 PM
You're swelling out in the wrong direction.

Loony BoB
02-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Who do you think you are!?

Denmark
02-28-2013, 11:06 PM
I need some love like I've never needed love before. :(

Jinx
03-01-2013, 03:42 AM
D_XI_290cfw

...The smurf is wrong with you woman?

Horrifying, isn't it?

I'll never look at Rose Tyler the same way.

charliepanayi
03-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Not to mention that she was married to Chris Evans (no, not Captain America).

Shauna
03-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Did you not know about Billie Piper's excellent singing career before she starred in Who, Sam? You poor child. :p

Night Fury
03-01-2013, 11:46 AM
OMG as if I missed out on some EoFFers Spicing up their life! <3

And I had Billie's album, aptly named.... Billie. Or it might have been 'Honey to the B' or at least that was a single...

Jinx
03-01-2013, 02:43 PM

Billie Piper?

Did you not know about Billie Piper's excellent singing career before she starred in Who, Sam? You poor child. :p

No, no I did not. D:

Denmark
03-01-2013, 05:45 PM

Billie Piper?

yeah, this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Evans_(presenter)), only 16 years older than her

Calliope
03-01-2013, 05:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkSSn_Mfg-o

NSFW, due to Gallagher brothers talking, sums up the turn this thread has taken though. I guess I still don't know how to embed videos? ><;;;