PDA

View Full Version : The peerless white mage

qwertysaur
02-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Same idea as the black mage thread. Which one is your favorite?

Jinx
02-14-2013, 07:13 PM
WHAT, NO POLL?

QWERTY

:mad2:

qwertysaur
02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
WHAT, NO POLL?

QWERTY

:mad2:
I was making the poll. look up :p

Laddy
02-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Minwu is badass.

Forsaken Lover
02-14-2013, 07:26 PM
I personally always liked the style with which Paine conducted herself.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj43/sailorsaturn-2009/Paine-WhiteMage.jpg

Sassy.

Jinx
02-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Eiko. She's awesome. She's also insanely useful.

Yuna was my second choice.

Gamblet
02-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Minwu, because.... Minwu.

black orb
02-15-2013, 06:06 AM
>>> Minwu..:luca:

maybee
02-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Eiko. Because of how handy she is in battle. Minwu comes a close second.

Forsaken Lover
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Minwu didn't do crap.

Except die.

Like a busta

Elly
02-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Yuna, because once again FFX made magic usefull, the reasons i gave for the Black Mage apply to the White Mage as well...
abysmaly low power, lucky to do 1/2 the damage the other characters do (BM), spends most of her MP on healing her own HP (WM), run out of MP just barely out of the towns gate just trying to keep up with the other characters in general... MP restoration items are usualy the most expensive or rare items for any kind of restoration...
FFX changed all that and made Mages usefull... Having free MP restoration at every save point saved the Mage Class altogether, along with nerfing the Fiends to where you could only use certain character effectivly on certain fiends...
now all of this assumes normal gameplay, not power leveling every character through at least 3 other characters grids...

Formalhaut
02-16-2013, 02:30 PM
I chose Minwu, if only because of my friendship with the White Wizard of Fynn.

Also, he's MALE. That right there just automatically goes up in my equality rankings. If I didn't choose him, I'd go for Yuna, which I agree with Elly, made magic awesomely useful.

Seriously, my Lulu was so powerful she was my main damage dealer for big battles.

Wolf Kanno
02-18-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm going to say Rosa Joanna Farrell from FFIV. I'm basing this on their talents as an actual White Mage and not going to account secondary roles like Summoner or abilities.

FFI White Mage - Gains Cure for major single target damage and Heal for group healing as well as the Harm spells for Undead but by end game outside of her Life/Raise spells the WM loses its usefulness through items. This may be my second choice though...

White Mage 8-Bit Theater - Okay maybe she's actually my secondary chose cause she did create the cosmos and defeated Chaos...

Minwu - Badass and only prominent male White Mage in the main series, I can understand the love this guy gets cause his high stats and knowing most white magic gives the player a nice cushion to level grind early. He also has some good story significance but sadly Minwu is not in your party as long as one would like and due to how the leveling trick works, its pretty easy to have your party overtake his awesomness. He would be awesome if he was a bit more flexible in building him.

Porom - Yes she has higher stats than Rosa and learns major spells significantly earlier than Rosa can but she's also only in your party for two dungeons and gets taken out of the plot fairly quickly.

Garnet - Terrible White Mage, which is sad cause she actually has pretty good stats but her spell list is terrible in comparison to Eiko and other White Mages, with her mainly stumbling with status inflicting abilities and never learning bread and butter spells like Full-Life, Holy, Esuna, and Dispel. Garnet is obviously a Summoner first, White Mage second...

Eiko - The opposite of Garnet, being a White Mage first and a Summoner second. Eiko gets most of the useful White magics and her Trance gives her the ability to Dual Cast making her an inherently better White Mage than most on this list, sadly she shows up almost halfway through the game and her best abilities are end game fair meaning that you can suffer with Garnet if need be or use the more versatile Quina as a support character.

Yuna - Ew... well let's do this with baseball rules:

Strike One - Yuna's white magic is single target, meaning you have to deal with the inferior Pray skill for emergency group healing or you can choose to use Rikku (or Kimarhi) and her infinitely more useful Al Bhed potions (which the game throws at you) for superior group healing.

Strike Two - In a game where Save points not only restore all mp, but health as well and said save points are plentiful and not spread too far from each other meaning if you are not badly injured, its pretty easy to just hoof it to the next save point and not bother with using healing magic...

Strike Three - Like Garnet and Eiko, she's in a game that is not all that difficult to begin with and really doesn't require a dedicated healer to be in your party. By the time you reach things that are actually challenging for the group, Tidus should be entering her Sphere Grid and his Time Mage antics make him infinitely more valuable to be consistently in the action. That or your dealing with the Monster Arena creatures in which case, everyone should have gone through her Sphere Grid and know healing magic by this point.

So you're out of here...

Rosa Joanna Farrell - Is actually in your party the second longest of the final party behind Cecil.Has really good spell list with status spells that are actually useful for the game, has the Pray skill which actually buffers the need to use items and MP to restore helath and if used strategically, can mean she'll have plenty of party saving white magic during the tougher sections of the game. She also gets several of the useful Time Mage spells like Haste, Slow (which stacks) and Stop (which actually works more than you would think) and her Holy spell gives her an offensive edge. She's basically the ultimate support character out of this bunch and she's in a game that is still difficult enough to where her full repertoire of abilities are important for actually beating the game.

Mirage
02-18-2013, 11:18 PM
If "white mage" from FF1 is good enough to be a poll option, my white mage in FF11 is too!

So that's my vote.

NeoCracker
02-19-2013, 05:44 AM
Garnet, the only White Mage I actually liked. :p

Eiko may be the better character, but she annoys the living hell out of me.

Couldn't get into FF III enough to know about Minwu, and Rosa is just kind of meh for me.

Raistlin
02-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Despite the fact that I'm not exactly fond of her, I'm surprised that Aerith is not an option.

I voted 8-bit theater's version as a cop out, because I just didn't care for most of the dedicated white mages, at least as characters. It sounds like Minwu was interesting (and notably male in a female-dominated role), but I haven't played FFII. FFI's White Mage would probably be my choice anyway if I had to pick from the actual games, as he/she was fairly useful and had the added benefit of not being annoying (the lack of character development/dialogue does have some perks).

Del Murder
02-21-2013, 04:47 AM
I feel Rosa was the most useful as a white mage to the party. She saved my ass a number of times and a lot of battles simply could not have been won without her.

Yuna is the most powerful though, since her summons can pretty much solo every battle in the game.