PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers.

Jinx
02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
So, what is the time limit before a spoiler is no longer a spoiler?

Loony BoB
02-15-2013, 02:51 PM
In general, or at EoFF?

For me, spoilers are always spoilers, it's just sometimes considered such common knowledge that it doesn't need to be kept hidden anymore.

Jinx
02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
In general.

And you know exactly what I mean. Don't be difficult. :colbert:

Loony BoB
02-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Uhm. Hmm. I don't know, I guess I always consider it "not okay" until everyone else has spoiled it for the rest of the world already. I mean, how long did it take for The Sixth Sense to be spoiled for everyone and their dog? Crazy.

And Titanic! I mean, oh man. How many people already knew the boat was going to sink before it did? Bloody spoilers. :(

Denmark
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
rosebud is tyler durden

e: on topic:
there's not really a set time limit, it's just once it seems to be pervasive in common knowledge. or a few years

NorthernChaosGod
02-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I'd say it depends on the circumstances. It can be different lengths of time depending on the medium or popularity I guess. I would feel no shame whatsoever ruining key plot points to someone about The Hobbit for example.

Jinx
02-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Snape kills Dumbledore

It's been 7 years (holy trout) nearly since this book came out, but people still get up in arms if you mention that spoiler in the wrong circle!

NorthernChaosGod
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Yeah, seven years for that is long enough. If you don't know already, screw you, you shouldn't have waited.

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Snape kills Dumbledore

THANKS FOR RUINING IT FOR ME.

Mirage
02-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Depends entirely on the situation. If you're in a situation where a book has recently been made into a movie, and you're talking to people who don't read books, it is spoilery to tell them how it ends even if the book has been out for 5+ years.

The Man
02-15-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure I'd place it by time. I think it's more a consideration of how much pop-cultural osmosis there has been. I wouldn't even think of spoiling someone for the ending of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly even though it's been out for 47 years. On the other hand, everyone knows the flower girl dies, Snape kills Dumbledore, it was his sled, Vader is Luke's father, Janet Leigh gets stabbed in the shower halfway through the film, and so on. It really depends how much exposure the plot twist gets in the media more than anything, I think.

Mirage
02-15-2013, 08:18 PM
I didn't know more than half of that. Thanks a lot!

Rantz
02-15-2013, 08:23 PM
If you don't know already, screw you, you shouldn't have waited.

I've never really understood this type of attitude. Like, if you spoil something accidentally because you didn't realise someone hadn't read it, fair enough if it's something old, you shouldn't have to be super guarded about it, especially in a private conversation. But if you're gonna be talking big spoilers in public, it's so easy to just give a quick spoiler warning, or in EoFF's case use spoiler tags, and yet people act like it's this huge bother and if anyone gets spoiled it's almost like they deserve it. Which, sure, in many cases spoilers happen in contexts where people should expect them to, but even if they don't people get defensive about their right to spoil rather than just saying sorry.

I'm not even particularly bothered by it, it just confuses me. :p

Clo
02-15-2013, 08:42 PM
I feel like if it's been 10 YEARS and you DON'T KNOW THAT AERIS DIES then TOUGH TITTIES.

Plus it's been more than ten years.

And don't you dare spoiler tag that, you filthy admin. :stare:

Denmark
02-15-2013, 08:51 PM
what the heck aries dies her was my favorite

Rantz
02-15-2013, 09:25 PM
I feel like if it's been 10 YEARS and you DON'T KNOW THAT AERIS DIES then TOUGH TITTIES.

Plus it's been more than ten years.

And don't you dare spoiler tag that, you filthy admin. :stare:

:heart:

See The Man's post re: spoilers that everyone already knows about vs. less well known stuff.

G13
02-15-2013, 10:19 PM
I try to be conscientious of the fact that a lot of my friends aren't die-hard fans of the things I am and I try to reserve some measure of restraint when it comes to talking about books/games/movies no matter how long it's been out. If I'm about to spoil something I usually ask if they're alright with hearing it.

Though some things are going to get spoiled whether it's by me or someone else. I know a shocking number of people who have never seen Star Wars, but if there's a running fan nearby everyone's shouting "Luke, I am your father" into the blades. It's still a spoiler, but after a certain amount of time the stigma fades away.

Bunny
02-15-2013, 10:25 PM
If you don't want something spoiled, don't fucking read shit about that thing. Stop expecting the world to stop just because you don't have any self-control.

Spoilers are bullshit.

Shlup
02-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Seven days for TV shows, seven years for movies, 40 years for books.

If you don't want something spoiled, don't smurfing read trout about that thing. Stop expecting the world to stop just because you don't have any self-control.

Spoilers are bulltrout.
Aside from the people who spoil trout on purpose. Like the "SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE" fiasco. I had two big A Song of Ice and Fire things spoiled for me in random /r/AskReddit threads by assholes, though they seemed so ridiculous that I thought they were screwing around, so it wasn't too terrible.

Raistlin
02-16-2013, 12:04 AM
There is no set time limit; it all depends on the context. Some things are so widely known at this point that most people who haven't already seen the movie or played the game already know about it (see: Aerith's death, or Kong's fall (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/12/05)). But if something is not already public knowledge, I would consider it a spoiler and wouldn't tell people unless I knew they had already seen/read/played it.

Araciel
02-16-2013, 01:06 AM
People who don't like spoilers... shouldn't go on the internet

So I dunno... a spoiler doesn't have a time limit I guess - If I didn't know who Luke's father REALLY is until ten minutes ago, it would have been a spoiler for you to have told me before I saw the movie.

Would I feel it unfair for someone to be upset about having that plot point spoiler'd?! of course! but it's still a spoiler.

Clo
02-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Spoiler: everybody dies.

Madame Adequate
02-16-2013, 08:03 PM
I've gone through and cleaned up this thread; please put spoilers behind spoiler tags from now on.

Ouch!
02-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks for ruining Hamlet for me, jerk.

NorthernChaosGod
02-17-2013, 05:30 AM
If you don't know already, screw you, you shouldn't have waited.

I've never really understood this type of attitude. Like, if you spoil something accidentally because you didn't realise someone hadn't read it, fair enough if it's something old, you shouldn't have to be super guarded about it, especially in a private conversation. But if you're gonna be talking big spoilers in public, it's so easy to just give a quick spoiler warning, or in EoFF's case use spoiler tags, and yet people act like it's this huge bother and if anyone gets spoiled it's almost like they deserve it. Which, sure, in many cases spoilers happen in contexts where people should expect them to, but even if they don't people get defensive about their right to spoil rather than just saying sorry.

I'm not even particularly bothered by it, it just confuses me. :p
I'm not actually mad or anything at people, by the way. :p

I think people should not read threads or join in conversations about things they haven't finished with yet. I couldn't care less whether people are caught up or aware of spoilers.

Clo
02-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Oh, you are all impossible.

G13
02-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I think people should not read threads or join in conversations about things they haven't finished with yet. I couldn't care less whether people are caught up or aware of spoilers.

That's a strictly enforced rule for me when I haven't finished a game or book. I steer clear of the Lounge until I'm caught up. Keeps me from joining in on good conversation though. :(

Baloki
02-17-2013, 10:21 AM
OH SCREW YOU ALL, I'VE NEVER GOT THAT FAR IN FF7 AND NOW YOU'VE ALL RUINED IT FOR ME!

I'M LEAVING THE INTERNET FOREVER! :mad2:

qwertysaur
02-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Don't you mean King Lear?

Spoilers are only bad if you find them from places you would not expect to find them. If you are spoiled on the ending of FF XIII by looking at the FF XIII strategy guide, then that's you own fault. If you are spoiled that ending on a website about trimming cactus plants, than you have a right to be annoyed.

Jinx
02-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Are you kidding me?
Everyone knows all of this junk.
Really?
I'm pretty ashamed of you, Hux.
Seriously.

Don't try to act all tough.
I don't care if you're a mod.
Everyone knows.
See what I'm saying?

The Man
02-18-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm sure she must have been talking about life.

Also I have to say that if you go into a thread about what kind of spoilers should be marked and expect there not to be unmarked spoilers then, well, you got what was coming to you :monster:

qwertysaur
02-18-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm sure she must have been talking about life.
The Bard's works trumps life

Jinx
02-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Shakespeare sucks.

Clo
02-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Dude, they're called TRAGEDIES. Of course almost everyone is going to die.

Pike
02-22-2013, 01:34 AM
MY EDITING PROFESSOR

spoiled "The Usual Suspects" for me before I watched it

I will never forgive him for this

The Man
02-22-2013, 02:04 AM
Ok, that's actually smurfing serious. :colbert:

blackmage_nuke
02-22-2013, 02:17 AM
There is no time limit on spoilers, if someone doesnt want to hear a spoiler they should leave a conversation but people should warn about spoilers if theyre about to suddenly change the topic.
Jesus gets crucified

Also I saw the Usual Suspect twist coming a mile off.

Unbreakable Will
02-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Going along with the "it just depends" circle jerk.

I was severely upset when they told me Alf wasn't a real alien. I mean c'mon, look how real he looks.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Spoilers do not ruin things for me. Often, I will spoil things for myself. :D

Clo
02-22-2013, 09:23 PM
*hyperventilates at everyone*

NorthernChaosGod
02-23-2013, 03:43 AM
*hyperventilates at everyone*

:aimkiss:

Citizen Bleys
02-23-2013, 04:12 AM
Shakespeare sucks.

You just got stricken off of my cool list

The Man
02-23-2013, 04:13 AM
I long ago learned that apart from Doctor Who and ASoIaF, Sam's taste is pretty much hopeless.

fire_of_avalon
02-23-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure I'd place it by time. I think it's more a consideration of how much pop-cultural osmosis there has been. I wouldn't even think of spoiling someone for the ending of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly even though it's been out for 47 years. On the other hand, everyone knows the flower girl dies, Snape kills Dumbledore, it was his sled, Vader is Luke's father, Janet Leigh gets stabbed in the shower halfway through the film, and so on. It really depends how much exposure the plot twist gets in the media more than anything, I think.
This is exactly what I wanted to say but said better than I would've said it.

I think people should not read threads or join in conversations about things they haven't finished with yet.

I agree with this, which is why I avoid certain threads and certain forums (specifically anything relating to A Song of Ice and Fire or GoT tv show) because I'm still in the middle of the existing series. That being said, it's in places you wouldn't expect the spoiler or in conversations with others that I get spoiled that pisses me off.

#eoff should be considered a spoiler free zone. :stare:

This is exactly why The Walking Dead tv show thread makes me scared, even though I started it, because I've already gotten major future storyline spoilers from people who've read the comics.

With that being said, I like to make o_O mad by giving him pretend spoilers pretend spoilers about the Walking Dead because I watch it on Sunday and he doesn't watch until Wednesday. An example: MIKE. DO YOU KNOW WHO IS DEAD IN THIS EPISODE. THE WALKERS.

Jinx
02-24-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm not cool because I don't like Shakespeare? Pretty sure 99% of people who say they like Shakespeare are just saying it to sound cool and get pretentipus hipster points. :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-24-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm not cool because I don't like Shakespeare? Pretty sure 99% of people who say they like Shakespeare are just saying it to sound cool and get pretentipus hipster points. :p

But I like Shakespeare...:(

Cloudane
02-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Circumstances. IMO with FF a spoiler is always a spoiler as some people start with newer games and then go back and play the older ones later. I don't even want to know what happened in FF3, because I want to play it one day.

The only exception is the FF7 event. Everyone knows that one, it would be impossible not to. Surely? It's like, more synonymous with FF than Chocobos.

Other things would depend on the thread. You wouldn't read through a thread for a movie or series and not expect spoilers.

An interesting one is threads like "saddest moments in gaming" which are threads that I avoid because its difficult to expect everyone to state what game it is then put the moment in spoiler tags. Though I would prefer if threads like that did operate with such a rule so I could take part.

Citizen Bleys
02-24-2013, 10:04 PM

In faith, methinks thou'rt full o' trout on that;
'Tis verily not so easy to fake.

Pike
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM

Shakespeare is great, except for King Lear. King Lear can step on a lego.

Macbeth <33333

G13
02-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Remember whenever we logged off the site would spoil one of the most important events in FF VII?

I miss that shit. :(

Pretty sure 99% of people who say they like Shakespeare are just saying it to sound cool and get pretentipus hipster points. :p

Here's goodly gear!

Night Fury
02-27-2013, 01:45 PM
But.. but! Hamlet, Macbeth, Twelfth Night, A Midsummer Nights Dream.. MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.

How can anyone not love Shakespeare?!

The Man
02-27-2013, 05:41 PM
King Lear is amazing too :doublecolbert:

Madame Adequate
02-27-2013, 08:00 PM
If you dislike Shakespeare it's because you're still in high school and are being forced to read it when you don't really understand it all. When you grow up a bit you'll start to really appreciate his genius. :)

E; Megan don't worry, the TV show has diverged pretty hugely from the comic at this point, I don't think there's anything but the most broad strokes that can be spoiled in the former by referencing the latter.

NorthernChaosGod
02-28-2013, 02:52 AM
If you dislike Shakespeare it's because you're still in high school and are being forced to read it when you don't really understand it all. When you grow up a bit you'll start to really appreciate his genius. :)

I actually started liking Shakespeare because I had a really good English teacher my freshman year of high school.

G13
02-28-2013, 03:43 AM
That was pretty much the same for me. We actually got to act it out rather than sit there and read to ourselves. Plus we got to watch the movie where Basil Exposition played Tybalt and we totally got to see Juliet's boobies. :shiny:

Bunny
02-28-2013, 04:46 AM
If you dislike Shakespeare it's because you're still in high school and are being forced to read it when you don't really understand it all. When you grow up a bit you'll start to really appreciate his genius.

I still don't like him all that much.

Citizen Bleys
02-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Plus we got to watch the movie where Basil Exposition played Tybalt and we totally got to see Juliet's boobies. :shiny:

You know that Juliet is canonically 15 years old, right?

G13
02-28-2013, 09:02 AM
I was 14 years old watching a movie with boobies in it at school. The fact that the character's age that an actress was playing was by a legal standpoint underage didn't really cross my mind as I was running to the bathroom.

NorthernChaosGod
02-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Plus we got to watch the movie where Basil Exposition played Tybalt and we totally got to see Juliet's boobies. :shiny:

I watched it when I was a freshman, too. I was probably only 14, so suck it. :p

Clo
03-02-2013, 04:11 PM
I could make Sam like Shakespeare with my ELA teacher charms.

Bunny
03-02-2013, 05:19 PM

The actress who played her was also 15.

Denmark
03-02-2013, 09:22 PM
guys guys guys

if it weren't for shakespeare we wouldn't have two of the greatest films/plays/what have you of all time (note: opinion)

1) the lion king
2) rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

and these are both based off of the best shakespeare play, hamlet (note: opinion)

which takes place in denmark

:cool:

Jinx
03-03-2013, 08:41 PM

Am I a bad student? Are you gonna have to punish me, Miss Clo?

Setzer the Gambler
03-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Honestly, I don't care if something is spoiled for me; I am not much of a person who likes surprises... Best I know in advance so I can get ready for what is coming.
Life, on the other hand, there ain't no spoilers for life ;)

NorthernChaosGod
03-04-2013, 08:07 AM

This is my fantasy.

Jinx
03-04-2013, 03:38 PM

This is my fantasy.

No, it is mine. And you were not invited.

NorthernChaosGod
03-05-2013, 03:09 AM

This is my fantasy.

No, it is mine. And you were not invited.

I come and go as I please.