PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pokemon Type

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Which type of Pokemon is your favorite? My vote goes to water. It's only weak to electric and grass, which aren't very common attack types anyway. Most water types pack some type of ice move to handle grass types as well. Water Pokemon also range in uses, from the physical threat Gyarados, the bulky vaporeon, or the speedy special attacker Starmie. They also benefit greatly from rain.

Water attacks take care of rock, ground, and fire types, while the ice attacks they usually pack can take care of dragons, flyers, and grass types.

Not to mention the STAB moves they have are all useful. Surf does a good amount of damage, Hydro Pump can give you that extra punch when you need it, Waterfall can net you some flinch hacks, and Scald can make a physical threat damn near useless.

...So what's your favorite type?

Sephiroth
02-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Psychic.

Mewtwo, Mew, Guardevoir, Espeon.

Psychic is simply the type I think of when I think about cool Pokémon.

I don't know why Grass is not common as attack type. Drought teams are common and Drought teams have Plant Pokémon. Chlorophyll Venusaur with Solar Beam or Giga Drain or Ninetales, the Fire type Drought Pokémon with Solar Beam are Over Used. Like Rain teams.

Formalhaut
02-15-2013, 10:21 PM
I've always loved Dark types, because their so mysterious... I mean look. AWESOME LOOKING.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/24300000/Absol-absol-24367497-414-358.jpg

Night Fury
02-15-2013, 10:32 PM
DRAGON TYPES GRRRRRR

Depression Moon
02-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Are dragon attacks even super effective against anything

Sephiroth
02-15-2013, 11:00 PM

Dragons are strong in general but only super effective against other Dragons. Except you mean dragons learn many different type moves.

qwertysaur
02-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Only Dragon types. :p

I like Grass, Ice and Psychic. One of those three. :p

Evastio
02-15-2013, 11:57 PM
I suppose it'd be water first, then ground second since many of my favourites fall under those two types: Blastoise, Nidoking, Dewgon, Politoed, Lanturn, Tyranitar (it's ground type before evolution), Milotic, Flygon, Floatzel, Samurott, Seismitoad, and Krookodile.

Jowy
02-16-2013, 12:03 AM
H2OHHHHHHHHYEAH HYDRO PUMPIN AND SURFIN ALL DAY

Night Fury
02-16-2013, 12:18 AM
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z395/AAlegends/Dragonite.png

But Dragons are awesome because they can learn such a variety of moves! some can be Dragon/Water, some Dragon/Fire or Dragon/Fighting!

They're so strong and versatile AND they look amazing.

Huh. Apparently there are no dragon/fighting types actually... but still! THEY'RE AWESOME.

Denmark
02-16-2013, 12:18 AM
water is the best type but electric has the best pokemon

see: shinx, jolteon, zapdos

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-16-2013, 12:49 AM
But Dragons are awesome because they can learn such a variety of moves! some can be Dragon/Water, some Dragon/Fire or Dragon/Fighting!

They're so strong and versatile AND they look amazing.

Huh. Apparently there are no dragon/fighting types actually... but still! THEY'RE AWESOME.

Dragons are pretty awesome, I'm just not too fond of the 4x weakness to ice most of them share. I like Latias and Latios though. I like to nickname my Latias "Redwings" because of FF4.

Araciel
02-16-2013, 01:10 AM
GENGAR

Pete for President
02-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Been ages since I played a pokémon game, but if I'd start another game I'd make my party consist solely of ghosts and bugs for freak factor purposes.

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Bug type moves have to be my favourite. Hah da da da da, just walking along, laughing at all the weak Bug pokemon with their weak moves, and then BAM. You been Megahorned. There are a load of different Bug type moves that just come out of nowhere and destroy.

Also, my Rapidash in Platinum had Meghorn, and it was obscenely useful. I base my party around what moves can be learned, and I always make sure to have at least two different Pokemon with Bug moves.

In terms of Pokemon type, as opposed to move, Water is a sound choice, and difficult to beat. But Fire will always have a special place in my heart. Most Fire types look really cool or cute or badass, except Ninetales which is all of them. Sunny Day is shockingly useful, as not only does it power up fire types, it also reduces Solarbeam to a one-shot move. If I have a Special Attack Fire Pokemon in my team, there's a good chance they'll be built around Sunny Day. It has another benefit, I swear, but I can't remember it off the top of my head...

Vćrn
02-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Electrode.

Madame Adequate
02-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Rock. All y'all have no IDEA how hard my Golem used to punch things back in the day.

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-16-2013, 11:55 PM
Rock. All y'all have no IDEA how hard my Golem used to punch things back in the day.

Catching a Geodude in the beginning of the first two gens makes the games so much easier. You have to have friends to get a Golem though...stop rubbing it in.

Jowy
02-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Catching a Geodude in the beginning of the first two gens makes the games so much easier. You have to have friends to get a Golem though...stop rubbing it in.

My Kadabra never got to unlock his full potential either.

Madame Adequate
02-17-2013, 12:11 AM
I didn't have friends, just people who knew I raised good Pokemon.

Depression Moon
02-17-2013, 10:15 PM
I'd have to go with Psychic and fighting as my top 2 favorites.

Formalhaut
02-17-2013, 10:36 PM

The thing with rock is that it's sort of the bug type. Only that rock is good on paper, but fails somewhat in practise.

Maybe I'm just harking back to the days where the Rock Gym is just laughably easy to defeat, as it is often the first gym. Seriously, there's a trend here:

Gen I: Brock, first gym
Gen III: Roxanne, first gym
Gen IV: Roark, first gym

All, very, easy. You could argue if you went with Charmander in Generation I, it is a slight challenge, but still, it's the FIRST gym.

NorthernChaosGod
02-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Fire is the coolest. Charizard, yo.

Depression Moon
02-18-2013, 01:08 AM

The thing with rock is that it's sort of the bug type. Only that rock is good on paper, but fails somewhat in practise.

Maybe I'm just harking back to the days where the Rock Gym is just laughably easy to defeat, as it is often the first gym. Seriously, there's a trend here:

Gen I: Brock, first gym
Gen III: Roxanne, first gym
Gen IV: Roark, first gym

All, very, easy. You could argue if you went with Charmander in Generation I, it is a slight challenge, but still, it's the FIRST gym.

Rock is amongst the weakest. It might have the most weaknesses out of any type.
Water, Grass, Ground, Fighting, and Steel.

I never thought anyone considered Bugs to be cool. What are they even effective against and I only recall one bug move in gen 1, don't think I ran into any in 3.

Ultima Shadow
02-18-2013, 01:36 AM
For me it's a tough call between Dragon and Steel. While Gyarados is my number 1 fav pokemon, both Dragon and Steel have many of my other favourites.

I never thought anyone considered Bugs to be cool. What are they even effective against and I only recall one bug move in gen 1, don't think I ran into any in 3.
Scizor is like... the coolest pokemon ever (save Gyara). Heracross and that new fire/bug one which I forgot the name of are pretty cool too. The typing itself isn't too awesome, aside from it resisting both ground and fighting (which can be very relevant though). Bug moves are only effective against Grass, Psychic and Dark. It's resisted by 6 types.

NeoCracker
02-18-2013, 01:42 AM
Scyther is my favorite, I always thougth his upgrade looked kind of stupid. :p

DownDiagonalLeftA
02-18-2013, 02:02 AM
Yeah rock is pretty lame, but stealth rock is SO dope.

Quindiana Jones
02-18-2013, 03:04 AM
Stealth Rock takes the absolute piss. Combined with Spikes/Toxic Spikes, it can pretty much destroy an entire team before the fight even begins.

Depression Moon
02-18-2013, 04:05 AM
Stealth Rock takes the absolute piss. Combined with Spikes/Toxic Spikes, it can pretty much destroy an entire team before the fight even begins.

What the hell is stealth rock

Xannidel
02-18-2013, 04:11 AM
Psychic.

Mewtwo, Mew, Guardevoir, Espeon.

What no Drowzee or Alakazam?
This dissapoints me greatly.

But yeah I always liked Psychic types and Sabrina was my favorite Gym leader from my Blue game.

Ultima Shadow
02-18-2013, 03:37 PM
What the hell is stealth rock
A move that places "floating rocks" around the enemy team, making each pokemon that switches in (on the opposing team) take damage depending on their resistance/weakness to the rock type. 2x weakness to rock means 25% of max hp as damage on each switch-in. 4x weakness, which many bug types have, mean 50% max-hp as damage upon switching in. And Rock is actually a pretty good offensive type since Flying is so common. The "normal" damage is probably 12,5% if I remember correctly.

In short, it makes every switch you do painful.

...you can, however, remove Stealth Rocks by using Rapid Spin.

Formalhaut
02-18-2013, 03:56 PM

Bug types are of incredibly limited use. Their main function, to inflict a melange of status ailments, can be done just as easily by Grass and Poison types, and Toxic Spikes (one of those popular competitive moves) can be achieved by other types and pokemon. In terms of typology, bug types are very shaky generally. They are weak to fire, flying and rock, and as many bug types are paired with flying, also have secondary weaknesses to Electric and Ice as well as a X4 rock weakness. In terms of stat totals, they also generally have rather low totals even among the fully evolved bug evolutions.

They do have some worth though. They are strong against Grass, Psychic and Dark with the latter two being very popular builds, making bug moves a great countermeasure. However even here, Psychic are weak to Ghost and Dark which are much better options generally than a shaky bug pokemon. The only other saving grace is that they can be a 'jack of all trades' pokemon, and can learn quite a diverse type move pool: Psychic moves, Grass moves, Poison moves, etc.

But yeah, I find bug types to be mostly useless.

qwertysaur
02-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Bug is seen as a weak type because it is often a dual type with another one of it's weaknesses. Bug/Flying is 4x weak to Rock, Bug/Steel and Bug/Grass is 4x weak to Fire and Flying, Bug/Fighting is 4x weak to Flying, and Bug/Fire is 4x weak to Rock. But people forget that bug can be pretty solid defensively. A Bug/Poison like Scolipede will wall Fighting Type moves, (4x Resistance) and Bug/Steel, while being 4x weak to fire, has that as it's only weakness, and resists Bug, Dark, Dragon, Ghost, Grass, Ice, Normal, Psychic, Steel and is immune to poison. That means a pokémon like Forretress will last a long time on a Rain team, because it can take a hit from almost anything and survive.

Bug types also have fantastic offensive moves. Megahorn, Steamroller, Bug Buzz, Silver Wind, Signal Beam and U-Turn. These moves will kill Psychic and Dark types, which most are weak to Bug and lack a secondary type that resists it. as well as grass, though Grass/Poison dis more common and does take neutral damage from bug.

In short, bug is not useless. There is no type that is useless, some just have different uses than others.

Chris
02-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Always loved the Poison type. An all-Poison/dual team is fun to use. :P