PDA

View Full Version : American Currency (I pitch a game, you approve)

Mercen-X
02-19-2013, 08:12 PM
I created a concept for a game a while back but due to the format I used in summing it up, apparently it sounded like some kind of long-winded essay.

The concept builds off of the Grant Theft Auto series somewhat or basically any crime-related sandbox game. There are so many options in those games. It wasn't until playing Fable II that I realized there was another game out there which provided honest work for your character in-game.

Simple
Anyway, the idea is to create a character and, well, live your life. The story is affected by the path you take (like in Fable). If you choose to be a criminal, the easiest line of work, you will constantly have police and other criminals coming after you. There is an actual in-game prison life for getting caught. There are actual interiors for hospitals if you get injured. Of course, if you can make the right decisions to become a "clever con" you can build a seemingly normal life.

Complex
If you choose an honest life, the path is far more tedious with less adventure and more study. Of course you could use the sandbox exploration to help you acquire knowledge through play rather than reading. The options for an honest life are limitless once you obtain a (few) degree(s). Doctor, Firefighter, Lawyer, Cop, Detective, Architect/Designer (like for theme parks or whatever), Trainer, Arena Fighter, Gameshow Host, etc. (lol obviously some jobs don't require study)
Multiple jobs can be held at once. Jobs can be changed/exchanged at any time, but certain jobs require notification before leave otherwise your Reputation will drop.

Interact
I suppose the main difference between this and the Sims is that you physically control your character and you have no control over the environment except perhaps to decorate an apartment you're renting or a house you own (or customize your car).
Speaking of cars, while criminals will simply hijack a vehicle without consideration, an honest player can hitch a ride (at the passenger's side) without fear of consequence. Hitching a ride would behave like calling a cab with options appearing to show where you want to go. Some driver's will charge you for the ride.

"Relate"
There is also the ability to build a family which actually grows over time. Depending on your actions toward them, certain people will retain close attachments to you regardless of the path you've taken. This results in perks like gifts, loans (money or cars *try to bring it back in one piece*), free rides (cel contacts will appear when you're ready to hitch), if you befriend your boss at work you can get away with more crap.

Post if you have ideas on how this can be improved. Add more jobs to the list (some jobs don't translate well to a gaming format either because they're too complicated or because "Why the f would I want to do that in a game?")

Some people will doubtlessly post to say this game sounds tedious and uninteresting. I ask that they post some constructive suggestion aside from "don't".