PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Obsessive Compulsion

Laddy
02-19-2013, 09:54 PM
What things are you particularly obsessive-compulsive about?

Chris
02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Keeping my hands clean. Constantly.

Shorty
02-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Twisting my rings. Can't fucking stop doing it.

Parker
02-19-2013, 11:50 PM
Not quite OCD but I can't stand being late for things. I tend to leave early. Sometimes I'll get to a lecture or the train platform ten minutes early and sort of have to stand there for a while but no way am I comfortable leaving so I arrive just as lecture starts or the train arrives.

qwertysaur
02-19-2013, 11:52 PM
it's CDO Laddy!

Denmark
02-20-2013, 12:07 AM
been on [website] for a minute? better reload

Raistlin
02-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Cleaning my glasses. There can be no dust or smudge or hair that impacts my vision in the slightest, or else it bugs the hell out of me.

Madame Adequate
02-20-2013, 12:55 AM
When I'm reading stuff on a computer I highlight and unhighlight the paragraph/sentence I'm reading over and over and over.
I dislike having tabs open but I'm slowly getting more accustomed to it.
When I was a kid/teenager I had massive OCD about symmetry. Everything I did had to be repeated with the other side of my body until it was symmetrical. Once was not enough; I had to go deeper. Let's say we're talking about tapping a desk with my knuckles. L represents my left hand, R my right.

'Normal' symmetry would be L, R. But that's very unbalanced.
Better symmetry would be L, R, R, L.
What I had to do was more like this: L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L.

NorthernChaosGod
02-20-2013, 05:57 AM
When I'm reading stuff on a computer I highlight and unhighlight the paragraph/sentence I'm reading over and over and over.
I dislike having tabs open but I'm slowly getting more accustomed to it.
When I was a kid/teenager I had massive OCD about symmetry. Everything I did had to be repeated with the other side of my body until it was symmetrical. Once was not enough; I had to go deeper. Let's say we're talking about tapping a desk with my knuckles. L represents my left hand, R my right.

'Normal' symmetry would be L, R. But that's very unbalanced.
Better symmetry would be L, R, R, L.
What I had to do was more like this: L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L, L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L.

Jesus, dude.

I Took the Red Pill
02-20-2013, 08:11 AM
When I'm reading stuff on a computer I highlight and unhighlight the paragraph/sentence I'm reading over and over and over.I do this too and I usually don't even think about it. Whenever someone watches me use a computer though, they're like "wat r u doim"

Pumpkin
02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
I don't like my food to touch. Also i have to tear the toilet paper exactly on the line.

Night Fury
02-20-2013, 03:54 PM
I make my bed every morning, perfectly straight. I hate it all creased and messed and I hate when people sit on my bed and then don't fucking straighten it back out when they get up!!

I'm very obsessive about hygeine when it comes to cooking meat. If I've made something with chicken, I will clean down everything with bleach straight after (benches and chopping boards and stuff) and I'll wash my hands every time I touch raw meat before I touch anything else.

When leaving the house, I speak aloud when I do something... I'll say "Okay, hair straightener is unplugged, laptop is switched off at the wall, window is shut, door is locked" as I do each of those tasks - I have to say it otherwise I get anxious when I leave that like.. I left my hair tools on or something.

I also tidy everything away in my room before I get into bed on a night. I can't sleep if my room is cluttered. I also can't do uni work if my room is cluttered. In fact there's an empty yoghurt pot on my desk right now and it's PISSING ME OFF.

Jinx
02-20-2013, 04:14 PM
O.C. Disorder

Loony BoB
02-20-2013, 04:25 PM
When I'm reading stuff on a computer I highlight and unhighlight the paragraph/sentence I'm reading over and over and over.I do this too and I usually don't even think about it.
Yeah, me too.

The main thing I have that people notice is that... well, it's hard to really describe. Newspapers... they have those little hole-like bits near the edges which are sort of punches out, presumably from some kind of machine when they are printing the papers. Of course, they don't simply make holes, they leave the little punched-in bits of paper attached and they end up making a bump of some kind. Anyway, these annoy my fingers when I'm reading the paper so I have this thing where every day I pick up the Metro on the bus and scratch the little bits out one at a time until the side of the newspaper is nice and smooth. Danielle finds it weird, and I suppose I do too, but oh well.

Beyond that, I dunno. I like to be organised (ie, things should be on the correct shelf) but I'm far from OCD about it, it just makes finding things easier.

Bubba
02-20-2013, 07:00 PM
I have to stir my tea exactly 32 times. 16 times clockwise, 8 anti-clockwise then 8 clockwise again.

Literally no idea why.

Shiny
02-20-2013, 08:30 PM
I use to obsessively check if the door was locked because my Great Grandmother did it and I sponged on her behavior. Now that she's gone I don't get the urge to do it at all.

Shlup
02-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Symmetrical physical sensations. Like if I step on the edge of a stair, I have to step on the edge in a similar fashion with my other foot or I am bothered.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-21-2013, 12:47 AM
I have a similar thing to MILF, except it's dragging my finger from left to right across the desk, then back to left. I do the same pattern, L R R L, or vice versa. I don't have to do it nearly as much apparently.

I also have certain patterns and methods I go through as I work on cars.

NorthernChaosGod
02-21-2013, 01:23 AM
I have a similar thing to MILF, except it's dragging my finger from left to right across the desk, then back to left. I do the same pattern, L R R L, or vice versa. I don't have to do it nearly as much apparently.

I also have certain patterns and methods I go through as I work on cars.

I should get you to do all my repairs then. :p

Shauna
02-21-2013, 11:10 AM
When leaving the house, I speak aloud when I do something... I'll say "Okay, hair straightener is unplugged, laptop is switched off at the wall, window is shut, door is locked" as I do each of those tasks - I have to say it otherwise I get anxious when I leave that like.. I left my hair tools on or something.

This is actually super useful to remind yourself that you've done something. You will remember that you've said "I've locked the door" better than the actual action of locking the door.

Uh something OC I do... I have three bookshelves in front of me. Every book and game on these shelves are organised into alphabetical order. They have to be. Or else I get antsy about it.

Jinx
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM

This is actually super useful to remind yourself that you've done something. You will remember that you've said "I've locked the door" better than the actual action of locking the door.

Uh something OC I do... I have three bookshelves in front of me. Every book and game on these shelves are organised into alphabetical order. They have to be. Or else I get antsy about it.

Yes. And books are alphabetized first by author, and then by title (excluding "the") for multiple books by one author.

This isn't OCD. This is just being organized.

Denmark
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Yes. And books are alphabetized first by author, and then by title (excluding "the") for multiple books by one author.

organized alphabetically by title are you MAD

chronologically please

because here's harry potter organized alphabetically (american titles): chamber of secrets, deathly hallows, goblet of fire, half-blood prince, order of the phoenix, prisoner of azkaban, sorcerer's stone

that would be one whack-ass series

i do chronological ordering for music too

Jinx
02-21-2013, 05:57 PM

organized alphabetically by title are you MAD

chronologically please

because here's harry potter organized alphabetically (american titles): chamber of secrets, deathly hallows, goblet of fire, half-blood prince, order of the phoenix, prisoner of azkaban, sorcerer's stone

that would be one whack-ass series

i do chronological ordering for music too

Well, DUH. Of course you arrange book SERIES in the order they came out.

Denmark
02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
okay good you're not 100% inSANE then

also one other thing i just noticed about myself: when i'm at home and scooping sugar into my coffee i always have to scoop exactly twice. this forces me to alter the amount of sugar per spoonful when i only have a partially-full cup of coffee and it takes a lot of effort to get exactly right

also when i'm out and getting coffee from starbucks or whatever i take the sugary poury thingy (http://images.containerstore.com/catalogimages/92655/GlassSugarDispenser_l.jpg) and make seven circles around the outside of the coffee while pouring to get the exact correct amount every time

why isn't that number even oh god what have i done

NorthernChaosGod
02-21-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm going to come to this thread anytime I feel weird.

Madame Adequate
02-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Symmetrical physical sensations. Like if I step on the edge of a stair, I have to step on the edge in a similar fashion with my other foot or I am bothered.

Oh yeah, I have to do this too!

Pike
02-25-2013, 08:26 PM
I actually am obsessive-compulsive. Numbers are a biggie for me; it used to be I had to write them down somewhere if I liked the sound of them, these days I just dump them into DuckDuckGo. Hey, it's a step in the right direction, right?