PDA

View Full Version : A Scream Too Far?

Formalhaut
02-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Shopping Centre Bans Screaming Children (http://news.sky.com/story/1054532/shopping-centre-bans-screaming-children)

Imagine the scene: You and some friends are walking down the main area of a shopping centre, walking casually and chatting away about the window displays. Then, mid-sentence, you hear this.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH, Mummy, I wanted THAT ONE!!!!"

This is a typical situation not just in shopping centres, but in restaurants, stores, etc. Normally, our responses is a death stare, but we move on bemoaning the next generation. However, one Australian shopping centre has decided to take decisive action.

They have banned screaming children. This Sydney shopping centre has put up notices around the centre stating "Screaming children will not be tolerated in the centre". Naturally, this has sparked up a controversy storm among the parent community. Some are for it, some find it is in breach of the UN Rights of the Child. (Apparently, screaming like a snotty-nosed brat is their right)

So what do you guys think? Can a shopping centre impose a ban on screaming children? Do you care?

Discuss.

Jinx
02-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Good for them.

I think every parent should get a pass. Your child starts screaming, if you can do something about it and calm them down, great. You can stay.

If your child is a little brat who won't shut up, or a baby that won't stop crying, take them outside.

Psychotic
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Yeah, Scream 3 was more than enough (sorry Lev, you can't kill off Randy and expect me to stand for it) much less making a fucking fourth one.

the_best_noob
02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
I think parents have forgotten the good old belt. I know that some people are afraid it will be considered child abuse if they whack their kid as a punishment, or the kid will call the police. No. There are parents who will look down on you for giving your child the belt, but it helps. Some of the least stuck up and bratty kids I know all got the belt. It helps, it really does, and parents are responsible for keeping their kid in line.

Mirage
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Should just chain your kids to some utility pole outside the shopping mall.

the_best_noob
02-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Solution here.

Night Fury
02-20-2013, 09:25 PM
That's ridiculous. Yeah, it's annoying when kids scream and make a fuss. But they're kids. They do that. The parent does have a responsibility to get them to quiet down, but to throw them out? That's a bit harsh to be honest and would make the child worse and just embarrass the parents. Screaming child in a shopping centre is just one of those things...

Also, about kids who are least stuck up and bratty because they got the belt - bullshit. Absolute bullshit.

Shorty
02-20-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm sure that this was meant to punish parents who can't properly control their children, but I think that this is asking for trouble.

Parker
02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
put ring ropes everywhere (And I Mean Everywhere in sihgt), bounce the little shit off of them and BOOM spinning lariat to the jaw followed by epic moonsault off a fountain or whatever is available i guess (havent worked out the exact details but im just an ideas man)

got a problem with it guess what. theres another mall down the street go shop there

Night Fury
02-20-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm sure that this was meant to punish parents who can't properly control their children, but I think that this is asking for trouble.

This.

Quindiana Jones
02-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Sweet. If this works, it'll revolutionise child discipline. "I'm sorry, baby, but this is a no pooping area. You will use the bathroom, or you will be removed."

the_best_noob
02-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Maybe not less stuck up or bratty, but they tend to better understand the concept of no means no because it was literally beaten into them

Sephex
02-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Well, I suppose I could always take my goat to the mall.

xCoD-TELD0A

the_best_noob
02-20-2013, 10:50 PM
You have a goat? Jealous

Denmark
02-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Well, I suppose I could always take my goat to the mall.

xCoD-TELD0A

not if it's a kid you can't, you gotta wait till it's old enough

Madame Adequate
02-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Maybe not less stuck up or bratty, but they tend to better understand the concept of no means no because it was literally beaten into them

Yep that's the way to make productive, healthy members of society. Living in constant subconscious fear doesn't cause problems, and inculcating the idea that behavior matters only insofar as misbehavior is punished :monster:

Formalhaut
02-20-2013, 11:36 PM
I can't imagine being a parent with a kid as bratty. What would you do? I do sympathise with some parents with incredibly misbehaved kids; I wonder how they do it.

With this ban on noisy kids, I've got but one fault. What if that child has ADHD or other behavioural disorder like it? Surely then that child has an excuse to be noisy or whatever? You can't turf out children because they might have ADHD or whatever.

Parker
02-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Remember when they banned hoodies?

Messed up.

Shlup
02-21-2013, 12:35 AM
I've always disliked organizations that let children get away with behavior that an adult would be punished for. At schools children can assault each other, steal, cheat, and all kinds of things, with little to no punishment. In a shopping center, a screaming adult would be asked to leave. I understand children sometimes have meltdowns, but it should be an expectation in any public place that, if you're being loud and disruptive, you should leave.

fire_of_avalon
02-21-2013, 02:22 AM
This is already my personal policy with any kid who has ever been in my care (all like four of them.) They all knew if they started whining/crying/screaming/running for no good reason, we were out of where ever we were.

NorthernChaosGod
02-21-2013, 02:49 AM
Cool, fuck that noise. I may be wearing my nostalgia goggles pretty damn tight, but I don't remember seeing as many screaming/unruly children when I was younger.

Jinx
02-21-2013, 03:54 AM
Cool, smurf that noise. I may be wearing my nostalgia goggles pretty damn tight, but I don't remember seeing as many screaming/unruly children when I was younger.

Yeah.

Curious how many people here got the, "Children should be seen and not heard, " line growing up.

Cos I heard that shit way more than I wanted to, but when I heard it, I knew I better shut the fuck up.

maybee
02-25-2013, 08:49 AM
When I was little parents always went like really early in the morning when the kids were half-sleepy and not barely awake to go shopping and then quickly get what they need and in zoom out of there. They even had kids rooms where a movie would be playing and a staff member would stand by and guard the kiddies watching the movies.

I remember this because it was the first time I saw The Lion King 2 :love:

So everybody seemed wiser back in the oooold days.

Don't know about America though.

I think it's because it's the PC attitude we have now, that's causing kids to be getting away with trout that they never would of done ten or twenty years ago. Some countries have even banned smacking kids on the bottom which sounds a little silly.

theundeadhero
02-25-2013, 02:31 PM
It depends on how old they are, really. If they're three then it's going to happen from time to time. If they're eight then they should know better and the kids should be removed.