PDA

View Full Version : Science Fiction vs. High Fantasy

Wolf Kanno
02-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Which is your favorite and why?

Depression Moon
02-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Science Fiction because there's more room for possible setting and high fantasy is just restricted to a couple.

Jinx
02-21-2013, 10:37 PM
I refuse to answer this poll.

Shorty
02-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Science fiction because it just clicks with me more. The possibilities that are available appeal to me more than the possibilities that are available with high fantasy.

The entire definition of Wikipedia's term is why it appeals to me:

Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possible worlds or futures. It is similar to, but differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).

The settings for science fiction are often contrary to consensus reality, but most science fiction relies on a considerable degree of suspension of disbelief, which is facilitated in the reader's mind by potential scientific explanations or solutions to various fictional elements. Science fiction elements include:

-A time setting in the future, in alternative timelines, or in a historical past that contradicts known facts of history or the archaeological record.
-A spatial setting or scenes in outer space (e.g. spaceflight), on other worlds, or on subterranean earth.
-Characters that include aliens, mutants, androids, or humanoid robots.
-Futuristic technology such as ray guns, teleportation machines, and humanoid computers.
-Scientific principles that are new or that contradict accepted laws of nature, for example time travel, wormholes, or faster-than-light travel.
-New and different political or social systems, e.g. dystopian, post-scarcity, or post-apocalyptic.
-Paranormal abilities such as mind control, telepathy, telekinesis, and teleportation.
-Other universes or dimensions and travel between them.

Space westerns, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic, alternate history and horror fiction all appeal to me so much. It's not necessarily any of the spacey stuff - I do like that part of the genre, but it's more of a sub-set of what I find interesting. The idea about possibilities in this lifetime that might not require such a stretch of the belief is amazing to me and I find it more enjoyable.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Science fiction, but I love them both.

Bolivar
02-21-2013, 10:49 PM
I enjoy both, they're two sides of the same coin, but I've just read more Science Fiction that totally blew me away and kicked my ass like Hyperion and A Canticle for Liebowitz. The Dune series is also really close to my heart, I honestly thoroughly enjoyed all six books (refuse to touch the son's stuff, though).

It might change soon as I read more fantasy nowadays. I've read A Song of Ice and Fire twice, I'm currently going through Lord of the Rings, and started a little bit of The Prince of Nothing which I'm getting to next, which also seems pretty insane.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-21-2013, 10:55 PM
I enjoy both, they're two sides of the same coin, but I've just read more Science Fiction that totally blew me away and kicked my ass like Hyperion and A Canticle for Liebowitz.

I just finished Hyperion for the first time two days ago. Is The Fall of Hyperion a good follow up?

Also, Speaker for the Dead.

Shorty
02-21-2013, 10:56 PM
YEP

The Man
02-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Do I have to choose? :doublecolbert:

Slothy
02-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Do I have to choose? :doublecolbert:

Yes.

Science Fiction.

Depression Moon
02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
I'd take Modern Fantasy over either though.

Laddy
02-21-2013, 11:38 PM
This poll is mean.

Shorty
02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
This poll makes you take a good hard look at yourselves.

Bolivar
02-22-2013, 12:02 AM
I just finished Hyperion for the first time two days ago. Is The Fall of Hyperion a good follow up?

It's a completely different format, but I feel like you kind of have to read it if you've already read Hyperion. I haven't read Endymion, though, after how awesome Fall of Hyperion wraps up the story of the first two books.

blackmage_nuke
02-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Looking at my top 10 favourite movies I believe that for some reason I seem to enjoy SciFi over HiFan
However if I look at my favourite Books I seem to prefer HiFan.

But I love movies more than I love books.

Ouch!
02-22-2013, 01:28 AM
High fantasy, but just because I like that it's honest about it's magic being magic, whereas science fiction often features magic masquerading as science.

Pike
02-22-2013, 01:38 AM
Easy question. Science fiction.

Because robots.

Also aliens and planets and post-apoc and science.

But mostly robots.

Bunny
02-22-2013, 01:54 AM
I enjoy Fantasy more than Science Fiction. No real reason, I just do. Both are, in my mind, equally restricting though.

NorthernChaosGod
02-22-2013, 01:54 AM
High Fantasy. But this poll is mean.

Madame Adequate
02-22-2013, 03:43 AM
I love fantasy, but not close to how much I love sci-fi. It is the Best Genre.

Mercen-X
02-22-2013, 03:49 AM
My favorite projects (including one I'm writing) combine both. One example is Marvel's Thor. The recent release of Xenoblade Chronicles is another (though I have yet to play it since I don't own a Wii).

Del Murder
02-22-2013, 06:01 AM
lasers & space ships > swords & horses

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-22-2013, 06:48 AM
Fantasy in all it's iterations. Also, the poll is bias since it allows for the variety of sci-fi subgenres but it is limited to High Fantasy which itself is a subgenre of Fantasy. BOO.

Del Murder
02-22-2013, 06:56 AM
What is high fantasy? Fantasy on drugs?

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Wikipedia speaks for me! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy)

Basically, LotR. A fantastical setting with big important heroes (mostly) whose goal is to save the world or something like that. It is about bigger issues than personal ones (not that there cannot be person stories just that they are secondary).

Madame Adequate
02-22-2013, 07:18 AM
High fantasy = LotR.
Low fantasy = Conan.

Denmark
02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
science fiction (ooh ooh ooh)
double feature

Jinx
02-22-2013, 04:42 PM
I ended up choosing Science Fiction for the reasons Shorty mentioned. Also, Doctor Who.

Ouch!
02-22-2013, 05:25 PM
I ended up choosing Science Fiction for the reasons Shorty mentioned. Also, Doctor Who.

Doctor Who, as much as I love it, is a prime example of fantasy in space rather than science fiction. Science and advanced technology is used to wave away so many things in that show. The sonic screwdriver may as well be a magic wand. Don't get me wrong, the show is awesome, but it's exactly an example of why science fiction is really just a subgenre of fantasy in most cases.

Shorty
02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
but it's exactly an example of why science fiction is really just a subgenre of fantasy in most cases.

It would seem to me that fantasy is a subgenre of fiction, like science fiction is.

Psychotic
02-22-2013, 06:08 PM
I choose Doctor Who visits Middle-Earth.

The Man
02-22-2013, 06:10 PM

I would watch the trout out of that crossover.

Araciel
02-22-2013, 06:50 PM
High Fantasy

I loves me some sci fi but fantasy started my geekdom.

Unbreakable Will
02-22-2013, 06:59 PM
High Fantasy for me, I've liked a good bit of the science fiction I've read but not enough for me to have said I enjoyed it more.

Clo
02-22-2013, 09:31 PM
I think science fiction is more imaginative, but I hate how smutty authors sometimes feel they have to be. :colbert:

NorthernChaosGod
02-23-2013, 03:41 AM

I would watch the trout out of that crossover.

+1

Elly
02-23-2013, 12:21 PM
id have to go with Sci-Fi, its not as restrictive as High Fantasy is...
its totaly honest with the whole magic thing as magic is and has always been science unexplained, nanomachines and microbiology are great for things like that... some people just dont like having the mystery removed from magic and Sci-Fi loves to do that... case in point Midichlorians, those that hate it often cite that they dont like it cause they liked the old days when Jedi were "Wizzards in space" as opposed to just being gifted with being in touch with their Mitochondria... i personaly love that explanation as it gives a scientific reason in a Science Fiction universe...
Sci-Fi is just way more flexible in what it can do when High Fantasy has to stick to the same orcs, trolls, and elves unless someone crossbreeds some of them, then those are abominations that are killed by the end of the storries...

escobert
02-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Fantasy all the way. I like some scifi stuff but not a whole lot.

Mirage
02-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Science Fantasy.