PDA

View Full Version : New Benchmark and Gameplay Videos for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Raistlin
02-22-2013, 02:59 AM

Square-Enix just released three new videos for the highly-anticipated MMO Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/category/101-final-fantasy-xiv.html).

The first video is essentially a trailer of footage from the official benchmark, and it has a lot of action (including a group of chocobo riders running a gauntlet of monsters):

I38WppE345o

The second video is the premier of a tour of Eorzea, which includes gameplay perspectives from both the PC and Playstation 3 versions of FFXIV:

KW6fL5X1fM4

The tour shows a comparison of the PC and PS3 versions, as well as showing off the wonderfully detailed environments of Eorzea. I think the PS3 crowd can be pleased with how ARR looks on their system.

The third and final video released is a gamepad demo with developers’ commentary (including everyone’s favorite Yoshi-P):

0J7kO8BTZDU

In this video, Yoshi-P demonstrates the controls of the gamepad as well as navigating the user interface. Yoshi-P also confirmed that players will be able to fully customize the gamepad settings on both the PC and PS3.

Two of the biggest takeaways from the gamepad demo are targeting and selecting hotkeys. For the gamepad, FFXIV allows you to auto-target the closest target, or use the D-pad to either cycle through all targets, cycle through only party members, or cycle through only monsters. It’s not exactly point-and-click, but it sounds easy enough to get the hang of. For hotkeys, abilities and actions can be set to the “cross hotbar” that appears on the bottom of the screen that become activated by the normal gamepad button just by pressing L2 or R2.

According to Yoshi-P, the gamepad is so intuitive that with the right setup, “it might even be faster than using a keyboard.” I am skeptical of that daring claim (and I think it would take longer to customize things on the gamepad), but the end of the demo features Yoshi-P taking down a monster in short order using the gamepad.

That’s all for today, but the next Live Letter (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2367-final-fantasy-xiv-letter-producer-live-set-february-22.html) is set to begin tonight, which should have a lot more info as the media block is lifted. And of course the beta will begin on Monday (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2372-final-fantasy-xiv-realm-reborn-beta-start-february-25.html).

Only a few more days! We can wait a few more days! … Right?

chionos
02-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Eorzea's looking amazing. Hopefully the losers who weren't invited to the first round of the beta get phased in quickly.

Loony BoB
02-22-2013, 07:31 AM
I have to say that I am very impressed with how they have improved the environments.

nirojan
02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
PC it is. I knew the PS3 version would be looking a little worse for wear compared to its PC counterpart, but I don't think I can get over the screen tearing and the stuttering. That Street in Ul'dah looked like FFXI running on the PS2 (when they showed the PS3 version) low rez and choppy as hell.

Xannidel
02-22-2013, 03:31 PM
That could just be a problem they are fixing right now, might also explain why the PS3 beta is later on.

I say we give the PS3 version a chance, I know I am and the controls really do look awesome.

Rostum
02-23-2013, 04:29 AM
...looked like FFXI running on the PS2...

I think sometimes people forget just how FFXI looked like on the PS2, you have to be trolling if you're going to make a claim like that.

chionos
02-23-2013, 07:49 AM
...looked like FFXI running on the PS2...

I think sometimes people forget just how FFXI looked like on the PS2, you have to be trolling if you're going to make a claim like that.

Yeah really, I played for the first 5 years or so on PS2, and it didn't look a thing like even the worst shots from this FFXIV footage. I'm not real happy about the stuttering either, but that should be something they can fix.

Loony BoB
02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I'm confident they won't release something knowing it stutters.

nirojan
02-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Don't look now, but a PS4 version may be coming down the road:

Final Fantasy XIV's road to the PS3 has been rough. But now that the game is finally coming to the PlayStation 3, Square Enix's Yoichi Wada was asked whether or not the game is headed to the PS4.

"Basically," said Wada, "I want to offer it through any means possible, but only after we've nailed the PS3 version we promised everyone."

Naoki Yoshida, Final Fantasy XIV's game director, added that after the PS3 version is optimized and successfully launched later this year as FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, if they have the chance, he'd like to discuss it then.

So, yeah. The PS4 was just announced. The PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIV isn't out yet. Everyone chill.
Is Final Fantasy XIV Coming to the PS4? Somebody Asked That Question. (http://kotaku.com/5986656/is-final-fantasy-xiv-coming-to-the-ps4-somebody-asked-that-question)

Raistlin
02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Yeah, that issue was discussed in the Live Letter. It looks like there is a possibility for a future PS4 release, but nothing is currently being done about it.

Mirage
02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
I'll probably buy both versions. It'll be nice to be able to sit back in my couch and do things casually now and then.

As for gamepad support. I played FF11 for 5 years on a keyboard, then switched to a gamepad because i was getting repetitive strain injuries. After configuring it, which was really easy, it really felt wonderful to use. I don't miss using the keyboard for gameplay controls even a second, and only use that to chat with people.