PDA

View Full Version : Parks and Rec

Shorty
02-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Can we talk about Parks and Rec? I can't believe that the best show on tv doesn't have it's own thread here.

I'm a little behind on season five - haven't yet got to THE BIG EPISODE but it's successfully been spoiled for me by the internet.

Share your P&R love! Or you can just go to babe's profile and see it splashed all over his visitor notes!

krissy
02-23-2013, 09:22 PM
i've only watched up to season 4 so if anyone spoils whatever it is you're talking about i will cut off their head

anyway i love parks and rec

Shorty
02-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Season four is really good!

One of the things I love about Parks and Rec is that it changes and the characters change, but the changes are so subtle and isn't intrusive to the character of the characters. I feel like everything about shows like 30 Rock and The Office change so drastically from start to finish from appearances to behavior, even ranging to the addition of new characters and the overall feel of the show. All of that sounds really great and progressive, but when you look at Parks and Rec, the integrity of the show from the original season is all still there and they've managed to make it so much better by only adding and tweaking things here and there so slightly.

The biggest thing I feel that happened in this show was adding Chris and Ben to the cast and since then, it's all been so smooth-flowing and things continue in the way that they should without the writers bending and twisting to try to make things interesting and exciting for the show. If I didn't know any better, I could watch an episode of season two and watch an episode of season five and the only things that would be at all different are perhaps Leslie, Ann and April's hairstyles. Character progression doesn't have to be so in-your-face all the time and Parks and Rec has nailed that. That's what makes a good show to me.

Del Murder
02-23-2013, 09:37 PM
It's a great show, possibly the greatest show on right now. It's certainly the best comedy.

One thing I like about the show is that it makes all the characters likeable. Comedy is not easy, but it is easier when your characters have flaws that get exploited by their situations and therefore make them unlikeable (Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory, Arrested Development). Being a jerk is funny when it's not happening to you, after all. It's a lot harder to create characters with flaws, make you root for them, and make it hilarious at the same time. P&R has done this. All of the main cast are very endearing even though they all have their quirks. You just want to be their friends really. Except when they're mean to Jerry. Poor Jerry.

Also, Leslie Knope is the best female lead for any comedy series ever with the possible exception of the great Lucy Ricardo.

Rantz
02-23-2013, 09:39 PM
I tried to watch Parks and Rec once, but my interest faded pretty quickly and I stopped watching after a few episodes. A couple of months later when babe got into it she started nagging me to try again, which I did, watched the whole first season. Lost interest again. But she just kept on nagging! We started watching the second season together and it got so much better. I started liking it, then I started loving it. It's totally one of my favourite shows right now.

Shorty
02-23-2013, 09:41 PM
I told you you would! :love:

krissy
02-23-2013, 09:49 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YBu1P0pZhXU/TvFAyFNBpUI/AAAAAAAAAjA/vyLO7znv-Ug/s1600/april+the+barbarian-fin_blog.jpg

Shorty
02-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Oh shit, is that Andy in the background?! I never noticed that!

Shlup
02-24-2013, 01:51 AM
The last couple of episodes relied too heavily on awkward humor, and I prefer laughing over cringing so I am displeased. I'm at least glad they didn't go the "Oh, our paths are just too different, let's break up so the show has more drama" route like most shows do.

Miriel
02-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Parks and Rec might go down as one of my favorite TV shows ever, and Leslie Knope is already like... I mean I wish she were real and I wish she were my best friend. I LOVE her. Love love love. P&R is smart, hysterical, and so full of heart. I mean, it has got to be the most endearing TV shows out there. At it's core it's about good people who care about each other and aren't shy about showing that they care. That's pretty smurfing rare. And the show is so unapologetic about it. They embrace what they are totally and completely and that's why it all works so well.

I also love the world that they've developed, an entire city with its own character and a slew of amazing Pawnee citizens. Characters like Perd Hapily, JJ from JJ's Diner, Lil Sebastian, etc. Everyone fits in so perfectly into this little world of Pawnee Indiana.

The last couple of episodes relied too heavily on awkward humor, and I prefer laughing over cringing so I am displeased. I'm at least glad they didn't go the "Oh, our paths are just too different, let's break up so the show has more drama" route like most shows do.

Waaa? Are we watching the same show? The last few episodes have been EVERYTHING. Pitch perfect. Some of the most perfect television I've ever seen. I was dying. Crying and laughing all over the place. This was me the whole time the last two episodes:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/887dd61a6d9697f8182912182871c491/tumblr_milq8nEVk71qf4k1oo7_250.gif

Too freakin' good. Just TOO GOOD.

I love you and I like you. Gaaahhhh. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

For anyone who has finished catching up to the latest episodes, watch this and cry at the amazingness:

VvtFc8QcC2E

Is that just not the best thing in the universe???

Shlup
02-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Awkward humor really irritates me, and the last few episodes have used it a lot. Leslie being unable to put together any sort of speech after what's-her-face stole her jokes just made me cringe, not laugh. Leslie also has a habit of demanding a lot out of her friends for her own benefit, which bothers me, though Leslie's an awesome character overall. The whole time they were scrambling for a wedding all I could think about was all the vendors they were fucking over, especially the restaurant they went to all the trouble to pick out. Though they did get the guy out of bed to serve them waffles last minute at least.

Shorty
02-24-2013, 07:38 AM
spoilers spoilers krissy's gonna kill you!

Shlup
02-24-2013, 07:41 AM
If you're reading a thread about a show you're a season behind on, you are not smart and I do not feel sorry for you.

Miriel
02-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Awkward humor really irritates me, and the last few episodes have used it a lot. Leslie being unable to put together any sort of speech after what's-her-face stole her jokes just made me cringe, not laugh. Leslie also has a habit of demanding a lot out of her friends for her own benefit, which bothers me, though Leslie's an awesome character overall. The whole time they were scrambling for a wedding all I could think about was all the vendors they were smurfing over, especially the restaurant they went to all the trouble to pick out. Though they did get the guy out of bed to serve them waffles last minute at least.

I guess I didn't see any of that as awkward. At the corespondance lunch I LOVED:

Leslie: I just opened a can of whoop ass on myself!

Leslie: Oh Ann, you’re too beautiful to be funny. It’s not your fault. You’ve never had to compensate for anything. The rest of you ugly nerds need to give me some jokes, stat.

And then Chris' reaction shot to being called ugly. Oh my god. I cracked the smurf up. Probably one of the best moments.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/97b6ecae-fb36-4ea3-b361-d95b4ca4e7e1_zpsa60f38c3.jpg

I wouldn't say any of this was "awkward" humor. I don't like awkward humor so much. The Office is pretty much all awkward humor. This is just humor humor.

Leslie demands a lot from her friends, but look how much she does for them in return. The fact that she is such a loving friend is the reason why these people are so willing to help her out when she needs them to. It's one of the best qualities about the show, how much they all just LOVE each other.

Shlup
02-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Chris's face was funny. That part was funny.

Rantz
02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
VvtFc8QcC2E

Squeeeeeeee!

charliepanayi
02-24-2013, 10:08 AM
They're finally going to start showing this on UK TV next month. Hooray! Looking forward to finally seeing it.

Shauna
02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
I started watching this because of people on this very forum mentioning it as their favourite TV show. Mr Shauna and I watched all 4 previous seasons of it within like a month and a half, we were pretty much addicted to the damn thing. xD Whoops accidentally watched 7 episodes in a row sort of thing.

Definitely a great, and I thoroughly enjoy watching it. :D A highlight of our week!

krissy
02-26-2013, 06:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/TjYgMw9.jpg