PDA

View Full Version : You Know What's Dumb?

Laddy
02-24-2013, 01:49 AM
Fucking pennies. What good are they? They're stupid and fill up your goddamn wallet/purse with useless coins you never use!

Let's talk about why pennies are the worst coin.

Sephex
02-24-2013, 01:52 AM
Obama is going to get rid of the penny.

Obama Open to Getting Rid of the Penny - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/02/obama-open-to-getting-rid-of-the-penny/)

Thanks Obama, etc.

Laddy
02-24-2013, 01:56 AM
Obama Best President Ever 2016

Slothy
02-24-2013, 02:03 AM
As usual, you Americans are behind the times.

Laddy
02-24-2013, 02:09 AM
What are you talking about? We just found out the gay isn't contagious!

blackmage_nuke
02-24-2013, 02:14 AM
I hope im not only one who read "penises" instead of "pennies"

Also if you make an effort to spend your change some days you go out and end up spending no notes at all.

Faris
02-24-2013, 02:23 AM
We ditched the penny. It hurts when I don't get my two cents back :(

Shlup
02-24-2013, 02:27 AM
I don't get all this penny hate. Next it's going to be the nickle, and they'll have to make $1000 bills because our wallets are becoming so bogged down by the amount of hundreds we have to carry.

I say bring back the half penny!

Slothy
02-24-2013, 03:27 AM
I don't get all this penny hate. Next it's going to be the nickle, and they'll have to make $1000 bills because our wallets are becoming so bogged down by the amount of hundreds we have to carry.

Change is redundant in the digital age. And when something happens which makes paying digitally utterly impossible, odds are your money will be worthless.

I haven't payed with cash on a regular basis since I was getting an allowance from my parents. Fuck the penny. Damn things just sit in jars oxidizing until I have such an obscene amount that they're worth rolling and taking to the bank.

Shiny
02-24-2013, 04:07 AM
There needs to be more $2 bills so I don't have to carry quarters. I hate carrying any coins.

Shlup
02-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Change is redundant in the digital age.

Why?

I like to eat at a lot of small family-owned places that can't afford credit card fees, so I need cash to eat there. I also enjoy dollar coins, and in Japan I used coins most of the time.

Shorty
02-24-2013, 07:03 AM
The penny would be useless if things were priced appropriately, ie in whole dollar or quarter amounts. Get rid of all the other crap.

Madame Adequate
02-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Bring back the denarius tbqh

Formalhaut
02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
The English equivalent is the 1p coin. My god is that thing useless. Even the 2p and 5p coins are virtually useless unless I'm buying something incredibly cheap.

I think the problem is though, back in the day, the lesser coins out there probably had some worth where prices were lower. Now though, you'd be lucky to get away with using those same coins with today's prices.

Chris
02-24-2013, 01:09 PM
I love Obama.

Rantz
02-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Obama is going to get rid of the penny.

Obama Open to Getting Rid of the Penny - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/02/obama-open-to-getting-rid-of-the-penny/)

Thanks Obama, etc.

jkQxHlr2fXM

escobert
02-24-2013, 01:42 PM
The only thing I use cash for is rent and pot. I have a penny jar to throw the random pennies I get into.

Parker
02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
I hate carrying change, it's useless and weighs down my pocket. Fuck off.

Yar
02-24-2013, 02:15 PM
I also enjoy dollar coins, and in Japan I used coins most of the time.

Yeah. Paying with a debit card is almost unheard of here.

They also have 500 and 100 yen coins, which would be the equivalent to a $5 and a $1 coin. I love them. I'm sold on America switching to coins for dollars.

Right now I have amassed a mountain of useless 1 yen coins, and I have no idea what to do with them. They aren't worth enough to carry around. :/ They do float on water though, so that's cool.

End the penny please. :colbert:

Night Fury
02-24-2013, 02:55 PM
I like pennies!

'Find a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck!' :jess:

Cloudane
02-24-2013, 03:50 PM
That awkward moment when you have to wait for a penny change and don't really want to say "keep the penny" because it's like giving a really bad tip to the cashier or something, maybe it's against company policy so it makes it awkward for them, there's no donation box etc. And they're like "here's your PENNY!" and you're thinking "I knowwww"

Probably just me :p

They are useful in that they're probably good news for charities. I've had many instances of a bulging wallet full of pennies and just dropped them into the charity box to get rid of them.

Bring on the cashless society I say, let's have little proximity cards you can top up with £10 or whatever. Some banks have it but currently they rely on expensive terminals that only Greggs have.

Slothy
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Change is redundant in the digital age.

Why?

I like to eat at a lot of small family-owned places that can't afford credit card fees, so I need cash to eat there.

Doesn't happen here. I can't even remember the last time I went anywhere that didn't have a debit machine.

The comic book store I go to used to have a policy of buying at least two comics to pay with debit because the fees made it so paying with debit for one basically ate all of their profits on the sale. That was a few years ago though. I went in a month or two ago and there was only one new release on my account. I had no cash on me so I offered to just run to the bank around the corner and get some, but was told not to worry about it. They pay next to nothing for the machine and for using now since the fees are really being levied more on the consumer than on the business now, which is kind of the smart way to do it if you want electronic payments to become the norm.

TLDR: You're banking system is smurfed.

Also, come to Canada if you like $1 coins so much. We've even got a nifty looking $2 coin. It has a polar bear on it.

Denmark
02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
pennies are a symbol of FREEDOM

Psychotic
02-24-2013, 09:59 PM
NOT PENNYS BOAT

yeah not so fucking dumb now is it

the_best_noob
02-24-2013, 11:20 PM
They slip out of my pocket and roll everywhere. I can't actually remember the last time i used a penny. Nickels are more useful. Just make more $1 and $2 bills and smurf pennies.

rubah
02-25-2013, 12:07 AM
I keep my pennies in a piggy bank until there's enough to roll up then I go cash them in at the bank for $7 in quarters then do laundry.

Shiny
02-25-2013, 12:38 AM
I hate the dollar coins I get from the MTA machine especially when I put in a $20. And that's another thing irks me about money distribution in this country. Why can't I take out a $10 or $5 bill from the ATM?

NorthernChaosGod
02-25-2013, 04:30 AM
I don't even like using physical money anyway.

Bubba
02-25-2013, 02:09 PM

Your wish is granted. Leigh Halfpenny - Welsh international rugby player.

Formalhaut
02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Your wish is granted. Leigh Halfpenny - Welsh international rugby player.

I would. While he is 'tooo' muscular, still. I would.

Pike
02-25-2013, 09:06 PM
All of my change goes into a plastic bank with a digital counter on it and I've got like $49 in it currently and there's still plenty of room in there, so penny-haters can just send me their collection; I've got a place to put them :)