PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Saves - or doesn't save

Cloudane
02-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Anyone else been playing through the new FFVII PC only for their save games to disappear all of a sudden? My profile page says I have never played the game, 0 saves, 0 achievements.

Cloud-only saves are a really smurfing stupid idea.

Edit: It seems it does keep a local copy, it's just a rather broken system. For anyone else having this issue here's how I fixed it:
a) disabled my network
b) launched FF7, it said I don't have a network connection and my progress will be saved locally, and my saved games appeared
c) re-saved
d) re-enabled the network
e) Started FF7 again and it synced properly and now my profile lists everything again.

Stupid thing.

Laddy
02-25-2013, 12:54 AM
I knew this sounded like a bad idea when I first heard of it. Not surprised it was so broken and ill-planned.

Cloudane
02-25-2013, 08:29 AM
It's a wake up call about all this "cloud computing" rubbish for sure. Always keep backups of your local copies (which thankfully FFVII has) and just say no to anything that is cloud-only. It's far too easy to think "they're a big company, surely they can keep a cloud service working and everything safe" only to get proven wrong. With no recourse thanks to small print. If I were to lose a 99 hour save game to this, "annoyed" would be a huge understatement!

It's one of these things where there was one really good implementation (Google Apps in the case of cloud computing and iPads in the case of touchscreens) that makes someone a lot of money and so the entire computer industry gets dollar signs in their eyes and goes "CLOUD AND TOUCHSCREEN EVERYTHING NAO!!!!!!" even if it's completely stupid and terribly implemented (see also Windows 8). It's become a pet peeve of mine.

Madame Adequate
03-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Yeah this is the big downside of the re-release. Sometimes it just doesn't want to sync and you have to sit there for a few minutes while it retries, either until it succeeds or until it gives up and switches to local saves.

Burtsplurt
03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm finding this annoying. It wouldn't be so bad in a game when you can save whenever you want, but you can go for an hour or so without being able to save in FFVII. It can't be like that many people have bought the game and are overloading the servers, surely?

Madame Adequate
03-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Oh wow I've had nothing like that, the worst I've ever had is about seven or eight minutes. I just have a couple random fights or go alt-tab and fuck around with online shit and it gets sorted.