PDA

View Full Version : Ten Commandments of Final Fantasy XV

Laddy
02-26-2013, 08:56 AM
What are the ten things you expect, no, demand from FFXV?

Jinx
02-26-2013, 01:51 PM
A decent game.

maybee
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
1 No waiting eight years for it to come out. Five years is the deadline, after that- screw you. Don't " Versus " anymore.

2 Airship is controllable like in the old Final Fantasy games

3 Bring back the old World Map

4 No main character that looks like he should be a female, slightly feminine is alright like Setzer but j-pop star ? No. You Sin.​

5 Bring back the old battle system or have a open battle system like Chrono Trigger or make it like FF X's battle.
No FF XII battle system that feels more like it's WOW.

6 No more FF XIII's evil hallways of doom.

7 Don't make it the FF XII universe. If it's Tactics or FF XII related I'll scream.

8 Have a good Main Character and a good Main Villain. Make him more evil than Kefka.

9 Bring back the classic battle victory cheer.

10 Storyline first, Music second, Character development third, Graphics last. Don't do a FF XIII and have graphics as the most important thing.

ShinGundam
02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
1- I want a Console game.

2- I don't want XV to be an MMO style or vanilla/101 JRPG experience, we already have XI,XII,XIV,4WoL,BDFF and billions of remakes and ports for that. Other publishers already do the same thing now.

3- More high end magic and skills, less auto cast, passive abilities, buff/debuff stuff.

4- Decent and none-randomized treasures.

5- No more brown and muddy worlds like Ivalice and tactics.

Other than that i am OK with anything.

Edit: Also. We need more classic FF style characters.

http://i48.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/30i9h1x.jpg

http://i47.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/ap6z9e.jpg

http://i50.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2ush9xt.jpg

Bolivar
02-26-2013, 07:22 PM
1. Mini-games, if nothing else. Modern JRPGs and WRPGs struggle to give us things to do other than hitting things and talking to people. Give us lots of things to do.

2. Tactical Combat. Square has some of the greatest game system geniuses in gaming history, don't give us the little control we had in XIII. I want some crazy cross between FFXII and Chrono Trigger's combat systems for fights taking on the field screen.

3. Explorable worlds. At the end of the PlayStation 2, we received the twin masterpieces of Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest VIII, games where exploration was inherently tied to the joy of play. Skip a generation ahead and this is something completely disassociated with JRPGs, to the extent people use its absence to criticize the genre.

4. Non-linear customization. XIII's character development system lamentably mirrored the game's progression, in that the Crystarium was a linear affair with deviations as meaningful as they were in the game's dungeons. It's another regression; even since the NES days, we've always been given a system broken down into thousands of pieces and were allowed to build our characters however we wanted.

5. FFXIII-quality characters & arcs. All of that aside, FFXIII set a new benchmark for the series as far as characters who were fully realized and interacted with eachother in major story arcs throughout the game. We certainly can't go back from this.

6. Victory Fanfare.

7. Airship with epic theme.

8. NO Quest markers.

9. Non-Mark-Hunt sidequests.

10. Graphics. Square has always been a graphics studio. They made 3D games on the NES and their battle and spell effects on the original FF's were well advanced compared to the competition. What they did with Mode 7 on the SNES was also ahead of its time. It's only because of the PlayStation era's room for variation that it seemed like Square put a larger emphasis on graphics; in reality, they were just that far ahead of the competition and it became more obvious as the gap increased. It's expected for Square to be at the forefront of pushing console capabilities, and if FFXV is an early PS4 title, I expect it to be the standard bearer that showcases what the system can do. Not Killzone, not Uncharted, I want a Final Fantasy to do it.

Depression Moon
02-26-2013, 07:26 PM
I thought 3d wasn't possible until the N64 generation.

Pumpkin
02-26-2013, 08:42 PM
1. A console game. No online stuff :mad2:. That is the only one absolutely necessary for me.

And I start nit-picking:

2. I want a large cast of characters. Like 12 to 16. I like characters. And good interaction between said characters.

3. An engaging and tragic story.

4. A couple that was started BEFORE the game to avoid any cheesy overdone love stories.

5. I like the ATB system and I hope the fighting system is something like Final Fantasy X-2.

6. Either A) job classes or B) customization available so I can make my own (a la Final Fantasy XII)

7. The ability to switch characters in battle.

8. Many different areas and locations to explore, some optional that you have to find yourself.

9. Fun, engaging sidequests, at least one involving chocobos.

10. Lots of magic spells.

Elly
02-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Rad Racer on the NES had a 3D option...

NeoCracker
02-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Can we just have a World Map again? I miss those. :cry:

Mirage
02-27-2013, 12:10 AM
I want an overworld-like thing.

I want a cast of 8 characters or more.

I want 2-4 optional/secret characters, where you might have to choose between just one or two of them. If you pick Character A and C, you might not be able to recruit characters B and D.

I want a fast paced battle system with action elements

I want a character progression system with a lot of depth, and that can keep me occupied for hours just figuring out the best ways to develop and build my characters. A job system would be pretty neat.

I want a lot of secret areas that reveal things about the world that you could go through the main storyline not even knowing about.

A controllable airship would be pretty cool. It has been a long time since we had that.

I want a story that is coherent, and characters that feel human.

I want a near-future world setting.

I want them to release it closer to 2 years of announcing it than to 10 years.

Formalhaut
02-27-2013, 12:49 AM
I want a lot of secret areas that reveal things about the world that you could go through the main storyline not even knowing about..

I like that as well. However, I think FFXII did this somewhat well by hinting at superbosses or mark hunts. I remember in Nalbina Fortress throughout the game, a single guard talking about a fearsome wyrm under the Sochen Cave Palace. That level of hinting is quite cool I think. If you made them completely hidden, they might never get discovered, or at least take a furiating long time to find.

Laddy
02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
I. Reimagine the series. Do an almost total overhaul of most FF tropes and ideas. Go a new direction with the series VII did this, to success. I thought XII would do this, which it did to success. You need to reinvent the series, as it has become harder to take seriously after the more anime-like direction has been here for almost 20 years and has led to slews of spin-off, badly-written homoerotic fanfic, but new ideas. Try to make your series be taken more seriously.

II. Westernize. Open up and be more nonlinear and have a more open-ended and explorable world a la Xenoblade Chronicles.

III. But don't Westernize too much. Have one ending and don't even think about incorporating action or FPS elements. Evolve, don't emulate.

IV. Ditch archetypes. FF has become reliant and character tropes that are overused and are, frankly, inexcusable in a modern industry. Try to have a vast in which none of the characters resemble ones from other games in the series.

V. Challenge the player. both in style and implementation. Do what Obsidian's doing. Tackle darker topics and don't be afraid to challenge your Japanophile fanbase. JRPG's, with a handful of exceptions, are too "bright, grand, adventure", which has resulted into its loss of popularity worldwide. Tackle sex, crime, violence. Go for, dare I say, more modernist and bleak story in tone and style.

VI. Make character advancement interesting. Give us options, let us develop our character more or less how we want to while still having each one possessing their own skills, strengths, and weaknesses.

VII. Subtlety, subtlety, subtlety. Show, don't tell. Imply, don't explain. Let us draw our own interpretations and conclusions about characters, events, and ideas, but give us the intellectual room to form them.

VIII. Do something big with the story. As in, very big. End the world halfway through. Kill Aerith again. Do something emotional big that changes the game dramatically.

IX. Try something new visually. FF has always been beautiful, but try to go for a style, or even setting, we haven't seen anything like.

X. But what makes FF what it is. Change, but still do what you do best and don't cave in to an ever-devolving consumer base.

Pete for President
02-27-2013, 12:45 PM
I. Reimagine the series. Do an almost total overhaul of most FF tropes and ideas.

V. Challenge the player. both in style and implementation. Do what Obsidian's doing. Tackle darker topics and don't be afraid to challenge your Japanophile fanbase. JRPG's, with a handful of exceptions, are too "bright, grand, adventure", which has resulted into its loss of popularity worldwide. Tackle sex, crime, violence. Go for, dare I say, more modernist and bleak story in tone and style.

VII. Subtlety, subtlety, subtlety. Show, don't tell. Imply, don't explain. Let us draw our own interpretations and conclusions about characters, events, and ideas, but give us the intellectual room to form them.

VIII. Do something big with the story. As in, very big. End the world halfway through. Kill Aerith again. Do something emotional big that changes the game dramatically.

IX. Try something new visually. FF has always been beautiful, but try to go for a style, or even setting, we haven't seen anything like.

Well spoken, I agree with these 100%.

The subtlety thing should be part of every single game that is yet to be made. It's really flipping frustrating that developers always forget how important subtlety is. Do it right and your game will receive endless praise. This is the very reason Dark Souls gets so much praise in the general gaming discussion. It does it right.

Loony BoB
02-27-2013, 01:17 PM
I think it's extremely safe to assume FFXV won't be another MMO, unless of course they rename FFXIV to FFXV, which wouldn't shock me but also would piss the hell out of FF fans in general... so I don't think they will.

Thou shalt create a relationship between the final boss and the playable characters.
- DO let us meet the final boss, knowingly or not, inside the first quarter of the game. In FFVII, you meet Sephiroth in the first disc. In FFVI, you discover Kefka early enough. In FFV, Exdeath is always around. In FFII, Mateus is the bad guy from before the game begins. FFVIII/X/XII/XIII did this wrong as far as I'm concerned. I don't care if it's a blunt, in your face, no-twists-attached villain like Kefka. Just don't give me Sin through the whole game and then suddenly reveal the REAL enemy, Yu-Yevon.
- DON'T suddenly change your central antagonist right at the end of the game. Been fighting Barthandelus throughout the storyline? Final boss... Orphan! Wait, what?
- DO let us regularly communicate with the central antagonist throughout the game. We should have some kind of feeling towards the final boss. Don't do an Ultimecia and have them sound different to the people we've been fighting throughout the entire series (Edea/Adel spoke and acted differently to Ultimecia, and notably Edea is always the 'main' enemy I remember from FFVIII, despite this not being the case).

Thou shalt use a job system.
I love the job system. I wouldn't mind a 'remix' of XIII's job system - being able to switch between jobs in battle, having multiple jobs, inevitably having all characters on all jobs but still having it clear that some are better than others. All these things were good. But I'm not so sure on the lack of control over your party members... they still generally did what I wanted them to do, but I wouldn't have minded it being a bit more like XII in that I could hop over to them and force them to do something different. Not gambits, but the ability to switch the character I'm controlling in the middle of battle.

Thou shalt include a non-humanoid playable character.
If it walks like a human, stands like a human, holds things like a human, it's just not as fun or fantasy as, say, Red XIII.

Thou shalt have a traveresable world map.
So I can traverse. I like VIII's style where you can still do things on the world map, you can still access certain environments by walking up to them and whatnot. But it needs to be a bit more amazing to look at. A traversable world map should also mean that, at some point, you should be able to get to almost every area of the game. This is good for additional gameplay value (going back and being able to do new things or reach previously unreachable areas), good for explorers and good for lore (NPC dialogue changes).

Thou shalt shock.
If Sahz committed suicide, my jaw would have dropped.
If Hope turned into a Cie'th and we had to kill him, my jaw would have dropped.
If it turned out Serah was preggers and lost her baby due to all the strenuous fighting she was going through, it would certainly be a first in gaming, and perhaps rather traumatising for players.
This kind of thing can move a game and it's story from 'really good' to 'one of the best of all time'. See: Aeris' death.

Thou many characters shalt have family.
As in, more than two NPC familiy members throughout the entire game. In this day and age where there can be as many NPCs as there are found in the world of XII, we should be able to uncover family members of at least four or five characters and some of them should have little kid siblings, some of them should have aunts, some of them should have grandparents and parents AND siblings. I want to feel the emotion these people go through when they are trying to save the world, but how can I feel anything for someone who simply has no background whatsoever, and is just an "instantly created persona"? Oh, and note I say 'many characters', which means 'more than six'. Eight to ten characters would be cool. Eight I think is about ideal.

Thou shalt have a fantastic world that is clearly not Earth.
I don't want to look at a world and see NORMAL trees and NORMAL green grass and NORMAL mountains. I want to see a world that is clearly not Earth - things like the crystalised sea in the early stages of FFXIII, places like Oerba and the world of Cocoon. These were a great start. I'd love to see more, though - take inspiration from Dr. Suess, perhaps.

Thou shalt entertain in a variety of ways.
This means not just good fighting fun, but good fun doing other things, too. Questlines in MMO's, for example. You can have more than one of them, they don't always involve fighting, they give you experience and they aid you on your journey in various ways. Why not the same for a single player game? There should be quests relating to non-fighting things, including minigame focused quests. I'm talking racing, breeding, crafting, gathering, card games, snowboarding, etc. In fact, gathering and crafting would be really interesting. In MMO's, they are for the economy, but why not have a little gathering in single player games? It would make sense for creating/upgrading weapons and armour and would encourage exploration.

Thou shalt not have missable items.
I hate missable items. At the very least have a Bone Village-like place where you can get them later on if they are no longer obtainable in any way.

Thou shalt have alterable situations and characters.
The date scene in FFVII? That kind of thing should happen more often... things like this that add to replayability while not forcing you into drastic loss is a good thing. So, do allow us to change cutscenes up a bit, but don't do it so that it forces us into missable items, missable summons, missable areas. Just do it so it changes the cutscenes/dialogue (ie, the parts that don't affect gameplay). Unlockable characters are also a good plan for this kind of thing, as unlockable characters always allow things to change. A fantastic idea would be to be able to 'evolve' their personality, so if your main character has options to treat other characters nicely or terribly, they "remember" such things and react differently to you down the line. Sort of like a good-to-bad scale for each character. Do make this completely controlled, don't do it so "not in party = disliked". More like... options in dialogue towards them. Allowing us to interact with each of the characters is done well in other games (see: Mass Effect, Dragon Age) and I think SE could pull it off.

Pumpkin
02-27-2013, 01:22 PM
I agree with most of what BoB has said.

Wolf Kanno
02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
I think Laddy largely stated my personal wants. May still give this a shot with a few things not directly mentioned or elaborated.

X - Thou shalt allow the player to play the game: Seriously, let's stop with A.I. party members. If you're going to stick to it, then do it like XII where I can switch over to them and still manually control everyone if I wanted to, and give me a Gambit system to program the A.I. But also I want to extend this to the dungeons and story. I want more interactivity, pace cutscenes better, give me dialogue choices that can slightly alter the story, give me short but fun mini-games that merge with the story (think Cloud doing CPR in VII or Celes fishing in VI). I don't need another 40 hour game that is split between non-interactive cutscenes and traversing uninspired dungeons.

IX - Thou Shalt spread the side quest wealth throughout the game: Easily my biggest pet peeve in Final Fantasy, DO NOT LEAVE 90% OF ALL THE OPTIONAL CONTENT TO FINALLY UNLOCK WITH THE FINAL DUNGEON. I don't care how epic and wonderful you feel your world and story are, sometimes, I like to take a break and do something else for awhile. It cleanses the mind and gives me a chance to chew over the story and characters, instead of just constantly trudging forward with no real time to just sit back and reflect. If the plot is good enough to keep me hooked to the end, that is fine but still you should give the player the option to do something else from time to time.

VIII - Thou Shalt make the Sidequests have meaningful story purposes: No more MMO style "go collect x amount of y" or "kill a amount of b" I don't mind Mark Hunts but I need some story reasons to go after this creature and I want it to involve actually talking to more than one NPC and I want it to have the party get involved.

Example:
DO NOT DO THIS: Player enters town, see's a character with a question mark over their head.
NPC: Hello traveler, I need your help, my son went to the cave over yonder and has not returned, I fear he may have come in contact with the evil Killer Bunny. Could you please go check up on him?

Player goes to cave, finds Killer Bunny, fights and kills it. Unlocks Datalog entry about the Killer Bunny.

Jimmy: Oh thank you traveler, I was exploring the cave, looking for some moss gto use as fertilizer for my dad's farm, when the Killer Bunny attacked. Now I can help my dad, here have this: RECIEVE MOSS ITEM.

DO THIS INSTEAD: Player enters town, overhears a conversation or starts talking to NPCs

NPC: Hey, did you see Farmer Brown? He rushed past here a awhile go with a concerned expression. I wonder what's wrong.

NPC: What am I going to do? I lost another shipment to that blasted Killer Bunny monster. I told the convoy to avoid it's lair but they took that damn shortcut anyway.

Merchant NPC: Tell me about it, I tried to hire some guys to pick up some of the caves moss for my shop, but that damn monster mauled or scared off anyone I sent to the cave.

Player wanders town, here's more stories about the moss, the monster, and Farmer Brown, until player finally meets up with Farmer Brown at the town entrance.

Father Brown: Oh what should I do?!

Player talks to him

Player: Hey, you alright, you look a bit worried?

Father Brown: I... I can't seem to find my son Jimmy. He was helping me plow this morning but we had to take a break because I ran out of fertilizer.

Female lead player: He might just be out playing

Male lead: Yeah, you're right, he's a young kid, he's probably just out playing with his friends.

FB: That's what I thought too, but his friends haven't seen him since this morning either. I'm worried something may have happened.

female lead: Well, we'll ask around town and see if we can find something.

FB: Can you? Oh thank you for helping me!

Player party explores town and asks questions, finally the merchant npc mentions talking with Jimmy this morning about the moss that grows in the killer bunny cave. They tell Farmer Brown and he flips out, runs after his son. Party travels to the cave where they finally meet FB and his son, but they are being cornered by the Killer Bunny. The party fights the KB and whoops its ass.

FB: Oh thank you travelers!

Female lead: No problem

Secondary party member: We couldn't just let that monster eat you both up.

Jimmy: I'm sorry daddy, I was trying to get some moss for the fields and sneaked in when the killer bunny was out, but it came back before I could sneak away.

FB: That was still reckless son, I'll puniash you later, but for now I'm just happy that you're safe.

Male Lead: Well, all's well that ends well.

FB: Thank you travelers, here, take some of the Moss my son got from the cave. It may not seem much but this moss can make anything grow big and strong.

Secondary character: *suggestively* Anything?

Female Lead: *smacks secondary character* get your head out of the gutter...

*party receives moss*

END EXAMPLE

The Quests should have a story focus as well, and it should be well written enough to be mistaken for being a part of the main plot.

VII - Thou Shalt let the Player Explore!: Xenoblade has changed me, while I have never been terribly bothered by the lost of the world map, I am terribly bothered by how lackluster world area designs have been for Squenix. I do no want a pretty but terribly linear and empty world like XIII, and while XII had a nice MMO style design, let's face it, Xenoblade is a game changer and the idea I'm restricted from climbing, jumping, and swimming on the world stage is just not going to cut it. Especially since Xenoblade allowed me to do all this in a world that is larger than XII's Ivalice and it was on the Wii, a console every modern gamer is always quick to point out its inferior output. XIII on the powerful next gen consoles gave me mostly a pretty tube.

PSbt9ccmwmM

Xenoblade gave me a world

1CUNNyNK-4w

Basically, if I can see it, I should potentially be able to reach it and interact with it.

Though the main thing to understand about Xenoblade's dungeon design is that it mixes both linear and open world styles. Some dungeons and cave are fairly linear, but open spaces tend to be huge and have tons of secret passages and nooks and cranny's to explore. It's all about balancing and using both for their strengths rather than one being superior to the other.

VI - Thou Shalt have Humor: Seriously, when did FF get so serious? I mean if you compare the amount of times X, XII, and XIII tried to make you laugh as opposed to IV-VII its pretty staggering how serious the series has become. Humor is great for a variety of reasons, it allows the player to bond with the characters more, because we get to see another side of them. It also creates more contrast for the player and keeps the drama from overloading the player. We also need this to come from the party, kooky NPCs are nice but sometimes they can undercut the world and mood of the story. Instead you should just stick to the principle that most of the party and game cast can stoop to humor, even the bad guys.

V - Thou Shalt Have Challenge: Seriously, we need to make these style of games a little more difficult. I get you're trying to keep it easy cause you're more focused on narrative but let's face it, these are games and not interactive movies. I hope SE learned from FFXIII that fans are not going to take the bulltrout of making the series into just about the plot and realize we want a game in there but more importantly I feel its time we need to make the games main campaign more challenging. I can't fathom why this is so difficult to do. I mean if your point is to keep the narrative flowing then take a lesson from Atlus and the Persona games and just add difficulty modes, I mean for smurf's sake you already do it for Kingdom Hearts, why not FF? The other issue here is that I feel you need to find new ways to make the games challenging instead of just upping the enemy stats, raising item prices, and lowering how much gil and XP you get. All you really accomplish is just making us work longer for the same types of battles and strategies. Let harder difficulties allow enemies to utilize different weakness and abilities, it should change how we approach fighting them not just level grind a few extra hours. Regular encounters should not be something the player dreads, you should make it one of the more fun aspects of the game not just a means to an end...

IV - Thou Shalt have real Job Classes: Don't ever do FFXIII's bulltrout MMO wannabe "class" system. I want real classes, give me a thief, or a dragoon or a black mage, not a character who does DD magic damage, a melee character who happens to have a flashy attack that looks like Jump, and a class system where your ony options are hit it with a weapon, cast a spell to hurt it, cast a spell to debuff it, cast a spell to heal you, cast a spell to buff you, and block with your face. Those are not what I consider to be classes and I don't know why you feel the need to emulate the MMO community who simply use said terminology to break down and organize the game's actual honest to god real classes that can actually do more than the six things I mentioned above. I want abilities, they are the spice of life and keep the genre from being boring. I mash X because game developers don't make games that offer a need to use anything more than that, but I don't actually want to be mashing X, I want to feel the need that skills like Darkness or Jump will turn the battle. I want to feel like Blind and Silence are important. I want to anguish over having a Time Mage for Haste and Slow or having a White Mage with Shell and Protect, not just "Buffing Class". I like having Thieves who can increase my loot and get me a cool item long before I would naturally get it. I love Blue Mages for the shear variety of their skills and the challenge of getting all their skills. I want to see Dancers and Geomancers who are collage of various class traits in a single package and weigh them aginst the traditional single skill classes. I wand to do more than use Attack and Magic -> Cure spell and if you are making the games more challenging you need to build strategies around making the player use these skills instead of making them window dressing to make the character a little less generic.

Formalhaut
03-03-2013, 02:33 AM
I've agreed with most everything so far. I really wish SE read these sort of fan suggestions and try and implement them :p

DMKA
03-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Honestly, I'd be just fine for them to continue on the path of FFXIII/FFXIII-2. I love the battles being both fast-paced and turn-based at the same time, please don't go real time, or revert to a slower system, please. So I don't have any demands, but I would like...

1) The ability to directly control all my characters again. Please. PLEASE!
2) Sidequests! Super Bosses! Super Good Hard to Obtain Equipment! Plenty of Minigames!
3) No pretty bishonen femboy characters. You did a pretty good job of getting rid of them with FFXIII, please don't bring them back!
4) An original theme song. I loved My Hands, but I'd very much prefer a song written specifically for the game please!
5) A fast-paced turn-based battle system. FFXIII is the general idea in terms of pace, but more interactivity please!
6) PLEASE MAKE BATTLES ENGROSSING AGAIN, NONE OF THIS AUTO-BATTLE CRAP! Also, please make spells significant, enemy weaknesses to different elements, etc!
7) A romantic interest for our protagonist!
8) A story-based ability system like materia/Guardian Forces/Crystals/etc!
9) More customization options for my characters! Let me choose which spells to equip and weapons and armor and accessories!
10) A world map with ability to backtrack and stuff to do when you back track to said areas!

Mercen-X
03-03-2013, 05:06 AM
Secret Character SIDEQUESTS: this is entirely different than simply the sidequest to unlock the character followed by one to get a powerful weapon or attack. This is about latching onto the story of an out-of-party character (like Laguna, Kiros, and Ward). Perhaps there are 2 or 4 hidden characters, but not all of them are accessible.
Unlocking one (or two) may lockout the others. Playing through the sidequests allows your party to acquire items and experience while playing through a part of the story they should otherwise not know about which is still integral to the overarching story. This would also help to fill plotholes without removing the player from the action.
Maybe a sidequest could be a jump to the past to fight an optional superboss (of course, the game's ultimate boss should become more difficult after the superboss is beaten).

A HIGH-SPEED CHASE sequence for which the goal is to avoid combat (something like on a vehicle or an animal).

I find myself fond of the powered gang enemy. WildARMS has done this repeatedly. Dirge is another example.

MINI-GAMES involving more than just pressing a button. Maybe accuracy via fps or coordination or something.

SHOCK VALUE: Have the typical bishounen main protagonist killed off partway into the game. Replace him with someone who knows what s/he's doing and can properly utilize the vengeance felt at losing the original.
Heavily imply a main character experienced rape.

DESIGN: Can a world be bright and beautiful on the outside but still manage to feel painful and disturbing?

MAKE THE MAIN ANTAGONIST A GOD who is trying to behave like a human being.

CUSTOM CONTROL: Allow unlockable default jobs but also allow the player to microcustom stats and abilities. Weapon evolution: I love upgrading weapons through process rather than exchange. Alternate outfits. They don't do anything but it always bugs me that characters are running around for days or weeks in the same clothes...

PARTY: 12-14 CHARACTERS most of whom come from different walks of life.
Possibly:
-someone who looks like a Catholic priest (I've always found the image of them in combat to be awesome)
-gang-member (either the leader or lone survivor)
-an actual angel revealed shortly after joining
-a werewolf
-a moogle
-a saxophonist

A fantastic idea would be to be able to 'evolve' their personality, so if your main character has options to treat other characters nicely or terribly, they "remember" such things and react differently to you down the line.smurfing LOVE!

BATTLE SYSTEM: Like XII though with a more reliable AI's system.

MAGIC: Specific names for spells like Torrent, Blizzard, Avalanche, Conflagration, Stroke, Tempest

black orb
03-05-2013, 04:13 AM
>>> Too lazy for the ten... whatever..
Just one advice:
Hey SE Money is not everything, take some pride in your works and put some effort on it, right now FF is the laughing stock all the gaming world. Just tossing Moogles, Cactuars and Chocobos wont make a FF game..
And if you seriously think your games are really that good then fire everyone and hire more talented people..:luca:

NeoCracker
03-05-2013, 02:58 PM
You know, here's a second thing. NO superbosses. At all.

How about the threat you are dealing with is actually the most threatening thing in the game? You know, so it doesn't feel trivial when compared to 3-5 other threats just casually walking along the sea floor? That would be nice to see again. :p

Loony BoB
03-05-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't mind optional superbosses because there aren't (to my knowledge) difficulty levels in these games, and it pays to be able to have all kinds of people be able to finish the game while still allowing for challenging fights for those who are more invested in honing their skills. The other option would be creating difficulties, and I would hate to have to do everything in a massive (which we hope it is) FF game just to unlock another difficulty and have to do it all again. I don't think JRPGs should really have difficulty levels like that.

VeloZer0
03-05-2013, 03:39 PM

How about the threat you are dealing with is actually the most threatening thing in the game? You know, so it doesn't feel trivial when compared to 3-5 other threats just casually walking along the sea floor? That would be nice to see again. :p
Or if the final boss is the super boss. Build on the FF7 idea where the last boss scales with your levels.

For every sidequest/optional boss you complete the last boss gets stronger. So optional boss #24 will be stronger than the last boss if you were to fight him as part of the natural story progression, however the final boss will always be stronger than any other boss you have fought.

Pumpkin
03-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I see what mikecracker is saying here. When I was playing FFVII, my first reaction was, if Ruby and Emerald Weapons are so strong, why don't they just go beat Sephiroth? And yeah, it happens in most games where they have optional super bosses. It's like, This is the big bad guy, you will need all of your strength to defeat him, he is super powerful, this is the FINAL battle, a test of strength, a battle of wills. But that thing over there? Actually much stronger. Kay, have fun.
:|

Loony BoB
03-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't mind that happening. Just because they are the most powerful enemy in the game doesn't mean they have intent to destroy the world that will force you into a long and emotional journey.

Let's put it this way: Just because Hitler was the danger to the world in WWII doesn't mean there weren't tougher enemies to face in solo fights.

Pumpkin
03-05-2013, 04:27 PM
I get what you're saying. I guess it just upsets me at their apathy at the situation. Like dudebro super monster guy thing whatever you are, main villain is trying to destroy the world, kay? Right? That includes you. Maybe since you are clearly made out by the game to be extremely powerful, maybe you could do something to help out?

I get that they don't care or whatever, it just bugs me. Like the weapon's shop owners who decide to charge me 60 trillion gil for a sword towards the end of the game when they know you're off saving the world (in games where this applies). It's like, yeah, I'm saving your ass too. Maybe give me some supplies for free since it's helpful to me winning and if I don't win you will never make any more money ever. Maybe at least a discount without me needing a special ability for it.

Loony BoB
03-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I get that they don't care or whatever, it just bugs me. Like the weapon's shop owners who decide to charge me 60 trillion gil for a sword towards the end of the game when they know you're off saving the world (in games where this applies). It's like, yeah, I'm saving your ass too.
You know, I have never considered this and I couldn't agree more. From now on, I don't want to have to save up that much gil for a new weapon. :( Instead of farming gil, we should farm for parts so we can create weapons... which would make more sense. Which fits in with my suggesetion in the Ten Commandments post of having gathering/crafting added to the single player games instead of restricting it to the MMO's. Beat the toughest enemies and use their hides to create the toughest armour and their teeth to make the toughest weapons.

NeoCracker
03-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Persona 3/4 has difficulty levels that are all available from the get go, and they work marvelously. (Even if the game does still have a superboss. :( )

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Persona 3/4 has difficulty levels that are all available from the get go, and they work marvelously. (Even if the game does still have a superboss. :( )

To be fair, the superbosses in Persona tend to be contractually obligated not to interfere and also tend to not give a fuck about what's going on in the story.

NeoCracker
03-05-2013, 05:57 PM

To be fair, the superbosses in Persona tend to be contractually obligated not to interfere and also tend to not give a fuck about what's going on in the story.

I admit with Shin Megami they generally have a pretty good reason for this, so I give it a bit more of a pass then other games, though it still bothers me. :p

I've just kind of come to accept that it's a part of gaming though. Kind of like scaling enemies in open world games.

Spooniest
03-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I don't need ten things, I only need one.

Get the Gooch back, or no dice.

Depression Moon
03-05-2013, 10:54 PM

Or if the final boss is the super boss. Build on the FF7 idea where the last boss scales with your levels.

For every sidequest/optional boss you complete the last boss gets stronger. So optional boss #24 will be stronger than the last boss if you were to fight him as part of the natural story progression, however the final boss will always be stronger than any other boss you have fought.

I like this idea a lot.

Mercen-X
03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Instead of difficulty levels, I think all of the major boss fights should have an optional handicap a player can activate if for some reason they can't handle the boss as is. You know, some kind of mechanism in the dungeon somewhere that can be triggered without too much hardship. Then the extreme players can brag they never had to use the handicaps. Of course, it's not something I think should be made painfully obvious like "if you hit this switch, the boss up ahead will be handicapped so your weak ass can stand a snowball's chance in that fry pan, wuss." Instead, it would be something like "this conduit must supply power to something incredibly dangerous. Should we mess with it?"

gathering/crafting added to the single player games instead of restricting it to the MMO's. Beat the toughest enemies and use their hides to create the toughest armour and their teeth to make the toughest weapons.

Them japs don't think we're ready for an RP that crams in so much activity. :eep:

Freya
03-09-2013, 07:33 PM
I just want a more fantasy game. Go back to that, less omg mix of tech gun that's a sword but then transforms into a cellphone! Go back to the more fantasy in final fantasy. Even if you can't help but throw tech in, do it like FFX did.

Formalhaut
03-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Of course, it's not something I think should be made painfully obvious like "if you hit this switch, the boss up ahead will be handicapped so your weak ass can stand a snowball's chance in that fry pan, wuss." Instead, it would be something like "this conduit must supply power to something incredibly dangerous. Should we mess with it?"

Actually, FFXIII-2 did something like this in Chapter Two. When you fight that huge-ass biomechanical called Atlas. Halfway through the chapter, you have a choice: either attack it head-on, or instead head deep into the ruins and activate a device that powers it down somewhat. At that point in the game, it's virtually impossible to defeat it head-on, but later on in the game you can go back to these events and redo the battle at full-strength.

While not quite what you were talking about, it's probably the best example of it I can think of.

Loony BoB
03-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Them japs don't think we're ready for an RP that crams in so much activity. :eep:
Actually, if you look at FFXIV, you'll find that it's Westerners who enjoy crafting/gathering with complex minigames associated with them, while the Japanese don't like these aspects as much. Going by the percentages from my memory of the Player's Polls, anyway.

Del Murder
03-10-2013, 10:16 PM
1. Bring back the whimsy (don't take it too seriously)
2. Have interesting characters AND NPCs
3. Have more than 'mark hunt' or 'fetch quest' sidequests
4. Use some form of job system
5. Have actual exp - no crystarium/sphere grid
6. Sidequests available throughout the game and not just at the end
7. Some form of world map (even if its like FFX where you just pick the location)
8. Can control all of your characters in battle
9. Actual armor slots instead of just accessories
10. A side game like Triple Triad/Blitzball (not terribly important but they are a nice distraction)

Mercen-X
03-14-2013, 03:44 AM
I despise "Armor Slots". The tiny pictures representing the armor try to look different, but the only time you see what the armor really looks like is in concepts and fanart. If there's going to be a supply of armors, I prefer it change the character appearance. If not, stick with bracers that don't need to be differentiated or shields that are easier to design that a full-on suit for several "unique" characters.

Formalhaut
03-17-2013, 12:09 AM
I despise "Armor Slots". The tiny pictures representing the armor try to look different, but the only time you see what the armor really looks like is in concepts and fanart. If there's going to be a supply of armors, I prefer it change the character appearance. If not, stick with bracers that don't need to be differentiated or shields that are easier to design that a full-on suit for several "unique" characters.

I generally don't like the whole armour changing appearance idea though. I mean, let's assume that was applied to FFXII. Do you really see Penelo wearing a full suit of heavy armour? It looks slightly clunky if you ask me.

If they do it, they'd have to do it very well to please me. I quite liked how FFX and FFXII did it to be fair.

Renmiri
03-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Would love a return to FFX Spira or FFVII Midgar

Mercen-X
03-18-2013, 10:17 PM
I generally don't like the whole armour changing appearance idea though. I mean, let's assume that was applied to FFXII. Do you really see Penelo wearing a full suit of heavy armour? It looks slightly clunky if you ask me.

My idea would probably work best for a game with defined character classes with characters who could only equip a specific type of armor. But even then, I would prefer there be some differentiation in how the characters appear while wearing similar types of armor. I know there was a game that did this once. There was a generic picture of the armor to represent it in your inventory, but when equipped, each character had a subtly unique appearance.

Bolivar
03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
^ I'm feeling that, but even if I did want to build Penelo as a heavy armor character, I should get to see her all clunked out!

Formalhaut
03-19-2013, 07:21 PM
^ I'm feeling that, but even if I did want to build Penelo as a heavy armor character, I should get to see her all clunked out!

I guess they could make it an option in the settings menu.

Spooniest
03-19-2013, 09:58 PM
1. Thou shalt have no other game influences before Final Fantasy. (No more WoW or MMORPG gameplay)
2. Thou shalt not take the names of previous Final Fantasies in vain. (No more remakes or sequels for a while)
3. Honor thy ATB system, that it may go well with you, and your game may have long life on earth with challenging battles. (and it better run as fast or faster than FF6!)
4. Remember the release date, and keep it holy. (Can you release a game on time, SE?)
5. Thou shalt not murder. (Don't do Aeris again)
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery. (I'm serious, no more WoW or MMORPG gameplay)
7. Thou shalt steal. (Give me a thief right away, and keep him or her in my party frequently)
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against the ending. (No sequels, I want a complete package all at once)
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's gameplay styles (I don't like MMORPGs, stop it!)
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's character designs. (Come up with something ORIGINAL this time, the characters have become weeeeak)

And don't forget the 11th commandment, which is and always will be "Thou shalt not be tacky."