PDA

View Full Version : What classes/jobs would you like to see?

Rostum
02-26-2013, 09:09 AM
What classes/jobs do you hope they introduce in the future?

I would really love a Beastmaster class. I do love pet classes in MMO's, and I know they have Summoner coming out but I love the idea of taming beasts. I'd be cool if you could utilize the personal stables in your housing to keep a few favorite pets. :)

Otherwise I'd be interested in a thief, ninja, and samurai class.

Loony BoB
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Thief, definitely. It's probably the most needed class out there when you consider what we already have.

Red Mage, sure.

Beastmaster, sure. I'd also be very interested in some kind of pet-capturing (shephard-esque) gatherer, since minions are now in the game. I think it would be pretty cool if a shephard style gatherer had to capture monsters before the Beastmaster makes use of them. But I suppose merging that so that Beastmaster just does the whole thing would work, too.

Samurai and Ninja I find kind of boring, but I suppose they can go in, too. I just fail to see how they are very different gameplay-wise to what we already have. I know ninja focuses on high evasion, but personally I don't like them because I'm very much in love with being a meat tank, and if evasion tanks are better than meat tanks then I won't be happy. The idea of a Ninja Roegadyn playing the evasion tank role just sounds absurd. xD

I'd love for there to be some kind of Mystic Knight or whatever, a mage-warrior that, unlike Dark Knight, focuses on weapon-enchanting. Sort of like a Buffer-DD, I suppose, but in a different way to Bard.

Rostum
02-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Ninja I find kind of boring, but I suppose they can go in, too. I just fail to see how they are very different gameplay-wise to what we already have. I know ninja focuses on high evasion, but personally I don't like them because I'm very much in love with being a meat tank, and if evasion tanks are better than meat tanks then I won't be happy. The idea of a Ninja Roegadyn playing the evasion tank role just sounds absurd. xD

I think Ninja would be better if it weren't a tank - leave that to Warrior and Paladin. Using Ninja magic, whilst also being high in evasion, they could be quite a sneaky burst damage class along with different kinds of poison attacks (dot on HP, MP and TP for example).

Ouch!
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Yeah, ninja as a tank was never SE's intention in FFXI. The reason it got used so much in that manner is because when the job was first released, utsusemi: ichi was completely broken in that when a ninja evaded damage at the expense of a shadow, no enmity was depleted. By the time they changed this so that enmity decreased even when a shadow was consumed, ninja tanks were already commonplace. If, from the beginning, ninjas had to fight to maintain hate, I doubt we would have ever seen ninjas emerge as tanks, and they would have instead become a frontline melee/debuff/elemental damage class.

Ultimately, I'd like a structure something like this (as I've mentioned elsewhere):

Marauder: Warrior, ???
Gladiator: Paladin, Dark Knight
Lancer: Dragoon, ???
Pugilist: Monk, Puppetmaster
Archer: Bard, Ranger
Thaumaturge: Black Mage, Red Mage
Conjurer: White Mage, Geomancer
Arcanist: Summoner, Scholar
Ronin: Ninja, Samurai
Musketeer: Corsair, Thief

I also think a base class that specs to either beastmaster or blue mage would be pretty cool insofar as for one job you learn the abilities of other monsters but on the other path you learn an ability to tame monsters.

Loony BoB
02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Musketeer - Thief? So Thieves use guns? Nooo! Dagger ftw.

Scout - Thief / ???

Ouch!
02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm not convinced that second jobs would require the same weapon as their class counterpart, but yeah, musketeer to thief isn't perfect. I originally had it as scout to thief/??? as well.

Elpizo
02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
I wonder if we'll ever see a Blue Mage. They were one of the most versatile and awesome classes in V, but I have no idea if they would work in a MMO.

Ouch!
02-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Blue mage is currently the best solo-class in FFXI, and they have a number of other uses as well. They were done very well there, I don't see why they wouldn't also be awesome in FFXIV.

Loony BoB
02-27-2013, 09:22 AM
I can see something like this happening someday...

Shephard: Blue Mage / Beastmaster

Ouch!
02-27-2013, 03:12 PM
If I remember correctly, shepherd was in the .dats as a new disciple of the land class.

It would certainly be interesting if it was a job that could interact with non-aggressive animals (such as the sheep outside of Limsa) to sheer them and get their wool and stuff like that.

Loony BoB
02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I just couldn't think of what else would fit in with Blue Mage and Beastmaster without getting summons involved.

EDIT: On a sidenote, check out this thing I put together before jobs were even announced (http://www.aiyon.com/keke/ffxivjobs.png). Not a bad prediction of how things went down, really. :D

Del Murder
02-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Bluuuuuuuue Maaaaaage!

How do the pet classes in this game work?

Loony BoB
02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Nobody has used a pet class yet. Arcanist - available at launch - will be the first one.

Khaotic
03-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Another vote for Blue Mage. Love the concept of learning skills from your enemies.

Roogle
03-25-2013, 06:07 PM
I would like to see new job classes like Scholar and Rune Fencer or Rune Knight. My favorite job class from the Final Fantasy series is something like the Oracle from Final Fantasy V. I doubt that I would see something like that in this game, but you never know.

Valerna
06-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Would love to see Dancerclass in it, with debuffing spells like the Songstress dances from FFX-2 ^^'

Hattoria
06-25-2013, 09:14 PM
I would love to see Red Mage, Fencer, Ninja, Thief, and Oracle. There's plenty of more but it would just sound like I am naming any class/job I can think of at that point.

Bierhumpen_Kukki
06-25-2013, 09:46 PM
not sure what youre imagining when thinking about a red mage... but since you can use cross class abilities you can already create a makeshift red mage by using thm and adding some whm skills...

from what ive heard a lot of ppl want ninja and samurai(me included). and i think yoshi partitially confirmed having at least thought about getting those two jobs in. and of course if they go for ninja i really hope it wont become a tank again like in ffxi. samurai was also in ffxi and was one of the most loved dd there was. hope they come with some cool armor and use one-handed weapons with a stance to go two-handed depending on skills needed. reading what i described right now it reminds me of the cnj's cleric stance.

for those who want a blue mage, there is one in ffxi and ppl love it. so its possible. i just have no idea how theyd make him work with the already existing classes/jobs.

well, enough ranting from me.^^

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Thief. Most definitely, yes.

Geomancer as a job for CNJ would be awesome. Not too sure about a second job for THM though. Though likelihood for THM would see to be some sort of buff/debuffing job? Maybe something like a Green Mage/Time Mage? :D? One more Discipline of Magic would be nice too. :D

Also, something like a Mystic Knight/Rune Fencer would be good too. :D

Dark_Vincent
06-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Well, since the weapon of choice has a lot of influence on class/job development, I'll write down some ideas I would like to see realized.

Rapier-style swords -> Red Mage / Blue Mage / Rune Fencer (Mystic Knight)
Scythe -> Dark Knight
Marauder -> Berserker (more DPS oriented than Warrior) / Geomancer
Archer -> Ranger
Gunner -> Corsair / Machinist (seriously, Machinist would be AWESOME)
Dagger-user -> Dancer / Thief
One-handed Axe -> Geomancer / Beastmaster (by the way, I loved dual-wielding WAR/NIN in FFXI... sad)
Conjurer -> Time Mage
Katana user -> Samurai
Kunai/Wakizashi user -> Ninja

Ouch!
06-27-2013, 07:09 PM
I know a lot of people are talking about scythe/great sword for dark knight, but Yoshi-P has been using dark knight and paladin coming from gladiator as an example of two jobs from one class all the way back as far as Live Letter III. I'd love to see Berserker (or Viking!) as the second job for Marauder, though. Have it be a full-on damage dealer, especially now that one of WAR's most important abilities reduces damage dealt by 35%. I'd love seeing Berserker/Viking getting war hammers. They're close enough to great axes, right?

Dark_Vincent
06-27-2013, 07:17 PM
I know a lot of people are talking about scythe/great sword for dark knight, but Yoshi-P has been using dark knight and paladin coming from gladiator as an example of two jobs from one class all the way back as far as Live Letter III. I'd love to see Berserker (or Viking!) as the second job for Marauder, though. Have it be a full-on damage dealer, especially now that one of WAR's most important abilities reduces damage dealt by 35%. I'd love seeing Berserker/Viking getting war hammers. They're close enough to great axes, right?

It'll be interesting to see largely opposing jobs branching off the same class. I've been thinking it would be hard to do because the base stats for Gladiator would make Dark Knight a crappy DPS, BUT... if they change it into a tank, then it might be an interesting take. Either that, or give Dark Knight a "two-handed" trait to make that sword swinging more dangerous. What do you think?

You nailed it on the Berserker/Viking class btw! Just as WAR's abilities reduce its damage dealing potential, they could make it the inverse for Berserker/Viking.

Ouch!
06-27-2013, 07:29 PM
The problem with giving dark knight a two-handed weapon ability is that too many of the abilities they'll carry over from gladiator are shield-based. I think it's most likely that we see dark knight as a tank, but functioning a bit differently than paladin. Where paladin is far and away the best single-target, damage-mitigating tank, I can see dark knight functioning more similarly to warrior's role in 1.x as a damage-dealing tank that's good at tanking multiple-smaller targets.

I think it would be interesting to see dark knight as an off-tank damager dealer with an ability that allows it to deal more damage as it takes more damage. Perhaps it gets an area of effect darkness-based sword skill? It'll be interesting, and I'm certainly open to new interpretations of jobs similar to what they've done with scholar.

Dark_Vincent
06-27-2013, 07:35 PM
The problem with giving dark knight a two-handed weapon ability is that too many of the abilities they'll carry over from gladiator are shield-based. I think it's most likely that we see dark knight as a tank, but functioning a bit differently than paladin. Where paladin is far and away the best single-target, damage-mitigating tank, I can see dark knight functioning more similarly to warrior's role in 1.x as a damage-dealing tank that's good at tanking multiple-smaller targets.

I think it would be interesting to see dark knight as an off-tank damager dealer with an ability that allows it to deal more damage as it takes more damage. Perhaps it gets an area of effect darkness-based sword skill? It'll be interesting, and I'm certainly open to new interpretations of jobs similar to what they've done with scholar.

Very true! I liked the mechanics of FFXI's Blue Mage and the potential Puppetmaster had (not sure if it ever became a good job, but back in 2006~2007 it just sucked). Here's hoping for more of that creative juice

comma
06-30-2013, 01:16 AM
Thief and pirate crossed my mind, but the game puts so much focus on doing good that it would be hypocritical to be a thief.

But if you look at some of the official art for the Maelstrom company, there is a pirate with a gun in it. Possible expansion? http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/4/4d/Maelstrom_Banner_%2B_Art.png

I've always liked Red Mage, as well, but that's always been a self-sufficient kind of class. They have good damage, if I recall correctly, plus white and black magics. They wouldn't fit in with party play very well.