PDA

View Full Version : Silly things you thought as a kid.

Lonely Paper Star
02-28-2013, 01:04 AM
For example, when I was ~5 or so, my mom told me that the chicken skin on KFC chicken was bad for my heart. I thought I would literally drop dead on the spot if I ate too much of that, and semi-freaked out because I ate a small piece.

Example 2: To remember where the utensils went when setting the table, I labeled the spoon as the damsel in distress being held hostage by the knife villain and the fork knight had to get through the plate castle to rescue her. Idek. :eep:

What are some silly/funny things you thought as a kid?

Agent Proto
02-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Oh, I remembered that my dad would say that whenever we hear thunder, God has made a strike while bowling in heaven.

Denmark
02-28-2013, 01:13 AM
on that note

rain is angels spitting on us

Jinx
02-28-2013, 01:15 AM
I thought rain was God's pee. :confused:

CimminyCricket
02-28-2013, 01:17 AM
I believed that one too. xD

Agent Proto
02-28-2013, 01:20 AM
No, that was God spitting down on us.

Jinx
02-28-2013, 01:25 AM
WELL WE'VE GOT A TON OF DIFFERENT STORIES

WE NEED TO FUCKING FIGURE OUT WHERE RAIN COMES FROM

Denmark
02-28-2013, 01:26 AM
this thread is about silly things you believed as a child IT IS NOT A PLACE FOR ARGUMENTS

just accept that we're all different already

gosh where is the TOLERANCE

G13
02-28-2013, 01:34 AM
I was told rain was when the angels showered. A less disgusting option than pee and spit to tell a child, I suppose.

I was also told the crescent moon was my dad's toenail.

I, for some reason, believed that anything that could ever happen to a person would happen at least once before they die. Naturally I focused on bad things happening, so by that logic I knew that in my life I would be shot, stabbed, run over by a car, fall off a cliff, etc. I'd decided that I was going to save falling into a volcano until my death because why would I want that to be first, right?

Sad thing is I think I just made that shit all up on my own. :confused:

Citizen Bleys
02-28-2013, 01:39 AM
I used to believe there was such thing as justice.

Denmark
02-28-2013, 01:40 AM
on a more adorable note

i figured that if someone broke into the house at night that the most important thing to save was my stuffed animals

i'd wrap them up in my blanket

i planned this out multiple times

Sephex
02-28-2013, 01:42 AM
All cartoons weren't on tape. The animators had to make the same exact cartoon every single time from scratch.

Denmark
02-28-2013, 01:44 AM
All cartoons weren't on tape. The animators had to make the same exact cartoon every single time from scratch.

i believed something similar about movies

at the beginning of a VHS you could sometimes hear what sounded like a telephone being dialed

i thought this was the VCR calling the actors in the movie and somehow getting them behind the TV so they could act out the movie for me

Shlup
02-28-2013, 02:04 AM
I really did think their was a monster under my bed, but we got along really well. I fed him my pistachio shells.

Futan
02-28-2013, 02:04 AM
Santa Claus/Easter Bunny/etc. were real. Don't think I believed it but I was told thunder is angels bowling. Can't really remember anything interesting. :-/

NorthernChaosGod
02-28-2013, 02:54 AM
I used to believe I'd grow into a fully functioning adult and a productive member of society.

:(

Pumpkin
02-28-2013, 03:02 AM
I tried to hibernate like a bear once. It didn't go so well.

I also thought cars drove themselves. I thought you had the option to drive it yourself (manual) or it could just drive itself (automatic) :|.

Shorty
02-28-2013, 03:35 AM
I always thought there were vampires skulking around the house after the lights went out and that I'd see one slip past my doorway if my head wasn't under the covers. They all looked like Nosferatu in my brain because we had an old VHS copy and although I hadn't seen the movie, his face looked scary to me.

G13
02-28-2013, 03:35 AM

i believed something similar about movies

at the beginning of a VHS you could sometimes hear what sounded like a telephone being dialed

i thought this was the VCR calling the actors in the movie and somehow getting them behind the TV so they could act out the movie for me

Same here. I used to think that people were at my windows waiting to run off and tell the actors that I was about to watch them. Previews were a way to stall until they were ready.

maybee
02-28-2013, 05:47 AM
I thought that when you go to jail that for punishment they force you to eat paint. I also thought that ever since playing Sonic 2 that there was a robot behind me and that he was going to attack me, because of the battle with Sliver Sonic. I was so paranoid for ages.:G

Denmark
02-28-2013, 06:06 AM
I also thought that ever since playing Sonic 2 that there was a robot behind me and that he was going to attack me, because of the battle with Sliver Sonic. I was so paranoid for ages.:G

for a time I thought that everyone but me was a robot. it made perfect sense! how could i prove it wasn't true

Tigmafuzz
02-28-2013, 06:10 AM
I thought that nearly everyone my age other than me was an idiot, and that I could only depend on myself if I wanted to survive.

Although not quite so "silly" because one of those was (and still is) true.

Shiny
02-28-2013, 07:57 AM
I thought the toilet could suck out my intestines so I'd get up quickly after flushing. Bastard toilet wasn't gonna get me!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-28-2013, 08:05 AM
I used to think god was real.

Night Fury
02-28-2013, 10:06 AM
I thought the toilet could suck out my intestines so I'd get up quickly after flushing. Bastard toilet wasn't gonna get me!

Or that some creature was going to swim up the toilet and bite me on the ass.

Pike
02-28-2013, 10:48 AM
I used to think that all of us were remote controlled by some sort of all powerful being with a giant remote control. That was the only way I could figure out how people moved.

I also used to think that the hour hand moving on the clock was magic, because I never actually saw it move.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
You know how in pokemon gameboy games, while it looked like you were moving around, your character stayed in the middle of the screen the whole time?

I used to pretend I was walking in place all day and it was the buildings that were moving. This thought failed me once I thought about all the other people moving.

Cloudane
02-28-2013, 12:35 PM
The tooth fairy
Santa clause {section 31}

And that eating the crusts on your sandwich makes your hair curl (and that I even wanted curly hair)

sharkythesharkdogg
02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
A kid in my 4th grade (maybe 5th) brought his two pet rabbits for show and tell one day. He went on to explain to the class how you could tell the male from the female because "she has two butt holes."

There were the kids on the bus who would snort pixie sticks and crushed up sugary candy, swearing it worked like drugs. I would watch while they screamed in agony, and then sneezed rainbow colored boogers the rest of the day. :|

I know I also had some stupid ideas, but I just can't remember them right now. :(

Pike
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Oh also, you know those "chasing" Christmas lights? Where they blink in such a way that it looks like the light is moving?

Yeah I thought they were actually, physically moving until I was like 13 or 14 when I finally figured it out

NinjaCoachZ
03-01-2013, 02:57 AM
I thought that if I physically went behind the TV, I would appear and be able to interact with everything on the screen.

I thought that the world was flat and that if you drove to the edges of the Earth, you would be stopped by a massive brick wall.

Jinx
03-01-2013, 03:17 AM
After watching too much Little Bear, I believed if I used my imagination reeeeeal hard, when I crawled underneath my covers I'd go to China or under the sea or some shit.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-01-2013, 03:20 AM
I used to think Toy Story was legit.

Sometimes I would open my bedroom door from the outside just the slightest so I could peek in and see if the toys were conversing with each other.

Unbreakable Will
03-01-2013, 03:59 PM
I was told that thunder was the 'tater wagon going through the sky.
Fucking rednecks.

Shiny
03-01-2013, 05:32 PM
I must be so Yankee that I don't even know what that means.

Lonely Paper Star
03-01-2013, 10:11 PM
I used to think Toy Story was legit.

Sometimes I would open my bedroom door from the outside just the slightest so I could peek in and see if the toys were conversing with each other.

I thought this well after my childhood. YOU NEVER KNOW.

Agent Proto
03-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Oh, here's another one! When I was a kid, I used to think the past was all black and white, like how the old shows and movies were had no color, and photographs were in black and white. I seriously thought the world would be like that to our own eyes.

Rantz
03-03-2013, 01:57 PM
My grandma and one of my nannies taught me about life after death. I got things a little mixed up and figured you were made up of the body, the soul and the skeleton. When you died, the body was buried and the soul disappeared, but the skeleton went up to heaven to lay on the clouds and shoot zaps of fortune and misfortune upon the earthlings.

the_best_noob
03-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I was convinced that the tooth fairy was real. I was determined to capture her and lay awake all night and watched my mom come in at about 11 pm.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Around 2nd grade, I began coming up with a theory for how I could experience the world in first person POV. I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that everyone saw the world in that way, and I thought that maybe I was the only one in the world who saw the world in first person. To further that theory, I thought that everyone was essentially "programmed" to act the way they did, and I felt the world literally revolved around me. Since only one person ever experiences that first person perspective, I also believed that I would be reincarnated. I would lose all of my past memories, but it would still be me.

I believed that black holes actually acted as portals to alternate universes (and still like to think that). It was my dream in life to actually figure out how to survive the trip through a black hole and make it to the other side.

Also, Santa Clause.

blackmage_nuke
03-03-2013, 09:33 PM
I thought all carpets (but not all carpeting) could fly.

I also use to think it was the string that made balloons float. It made sense because the balloons with helium all had strings attatched and the ones filled with air had no strings.

I also thought I was a genius who was the first person every to discover masturbation (or as i thought of it back then, this awesome new game no one else seems to be playing) because no one else would talk to me about anything sex related when i was 10 year old.

The guy on the Australian $2 coin was Santa, the flower was an iceberg and the southern cross was snowflakes

All dogs were boys and all cats were girls.

Tigmafuzz
03-05-2013, 09:25 AM
All dogs were boys and all cats were girls.

...Dammit.

Cloudane
03-05-2013, 07:14 PM
At one point I was convinced there were hidden rooms between the inside and outside walls of the house

Oh and also that parsnips were just carrots without artificial colours

Greatermaximus
03-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Now that you mention it. I though every time a military officer who said 'sir' was referencing syrup. It sounded similar and I though Ms. Butterworth was in charge of the military when I was 4.

Pheesh
03-07-2013, 03:13 PM
That making it in the music industry was easy.

Cloudane
03-07-2013, 04:38 PM
That I'd grow up.

KentaRawr!
03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
I used to think that I would never die. Then my siblings told me when I was 5 that I would die. I wasn't very happy about this news. :colbert: