PDA

View Full Version : Bands that really should still be around

Mirage
02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Inspired by this thread by Pike:

http://home.eyesonff.com/lounge/149027-bands-really-shouldnt-still-around.html

Basically, post bands that are no longer active, but that you wish still were.

Pike
02-28-2013, 02:00 PM
REM. :(

NeoCracker
02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
This is entirely irriational, but for some reason whenever he sings I want to punch Michael Stype in the mouth. REM infuriates me, and I have no clue as to why this is. o_O

I do love Losing my Religion though. :p

I wouldn't have minded another Jet Album either.

And Morrison died to young, The Doors were fucking awesome. :(

Shorty
02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
The White Stripes :(

Pike
02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
SARAH I CAN SEE YOUR REP :mad2:

I'm going to add Simon & Garfunkel to my list

NeoCracker
02-28-2013, 03:13 PM
I could never get into the vast majority of Simon and Garfunkel Either. :p

Well, except Cecelia, which is a fucking wonderful track. :love:

Pike
02-28-2013, 03:23 PM
HOW DO PEOPLE NOT LIKE SIMON & GARFUNKEL

Night Fury
02-28-2013, 03:34 PM
The Spice Girls :(

charliepanayi
02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
The Delgados
The White Stripes
Sleater-Kinney
Fugazi

Jinx
02-28-2013, 04:26 PM
The Civil Wars

:(

Shorty
02-28-2013, 04:44 PM
SARAH I CAN SEE YOUR REP :mad2:

>__________>

Also, I'm not sure if anyone here knows who the Handsome Furs are, but they broke up last year and it seriously broke my heart :(

I would list The Postal Service BUT THEY HAVE BEEN RESURRECTED AND I AM GOING TO SEE THEM IN CONCERT <33333

sharkythesharkdogg
02-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Most bands I can think of probably shouldn't still be around now, but should have lasted a good bit longer.

Refused would probably still be making some cutting edge music.

NorthernChaosGod
02-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Some of these may not be a good choice for now, but should have lasted longer.

Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin (only with Bonham)
Death
Iced Earth (with Matt Barlow)
Control Denied
Dio
Lost Horizon (no album since 2003 :colbert: )
Necrophagist
Pantera

NeoCracker
02-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Well, since Apparently Gorrilaz are no more, as I recently learned, I want them back. :cry:

Jowy
02-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Alexisonfire and At the Drive-In.

Denmark
02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
THE BEASTIE BOYS

rip MCA :(

Calliope
02-28-2013, 10:34 PM
THE BEASTIE BOYS

Also Queen, Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley.

Non dead bands/artists: Sleater-Kinney, Le Tigre, Will Smith, The Sneaks.

Madame Adequate
02-28-2013, 10:36 PM
THE BEASTIE BOYS

Yeah, rip :(

Pheesh
02-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Blind Melon Y_Y

The Man
03-01-2013, 12:57 AM
NecrophagistWha? I can't find any information suggesting they've broken up (although Metal Archives says their current status is unknown), and last I heard they were planning on making a third album. They are taking absolutely forever to make it though, :<

Lykathea Aflame/Lykathé (I'm starting to grow incredibly afraid that their long-rumoured second album is vapourware)
!T.O.O.H.! (they are back together but guitarist/bassist Humanoid has health problems preventing him from performing competently live and doesn't want to exist as a studio project so Democratic Solution will be their last album)
Death
Hendrix
The Doors
Windir (smurf you blizzard)
Nasum (smurf you tsunami)
Akercocke
The Beatles
Tom Lehrer
Isis
Sacramentum
R.E.M.
Insect Warfare
The Mars Volta
At the Drive-In (yes I know they're back together but they're not going to make new material. smurf.)
Emperor (although at least Ihsahn is making similar music to their later stuff in his solo career)
Peccatum
Lurker of Chalice
Frank Zappa (yes I know he had an absolute troutload of releases but it's still not enough :()
Weakling
Nagelfar
Joy Division
Dissection
Mr. Bungle (although I've heard rumours they might reunite)
Rage Against the Machine (smurf your live-only bulltrout, we need new songs already)
Estatic Fear (supposedly he is working on new material but smurf knows when we'll see it)
Lux Occulta (same deal as with Estatic Fear, except it's more than a one-man band)
Beastie Boys

I could go on. It's probably not a surprise that more than half of these are underground metal bands. Underground metal bands seem to have a more difficult time staying together as it's not a particularly lucrative style to perform.

Madame Adequate
03-01-2013, 01:03 AM
I forgot ATDI were back together. Why won't they make new stuff. Omar :argh:

Shoden
03-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Lost Horizon, their only 2 albums with Daniel Heiman were probably some of the greatest to ever exist in metal.
A lot of bands I would mention were part of the NWOBHM movement that just never "made it" and split up before they could really become great then alas, terrible in old age.

Pheesh
03-01-2013, 01:19 AM

Nah, Omar and Cedric don't like each other anymore. No more ATDI or tMV.

Honestly though, the last two Mars Volta albums were sub par.

NorthernChaosGod
03-01-2013, 01:31 AM
NecrophagistWha? I can't find any information suggesting they've broken up (although Metal Archives says their current status is unknown), and last I heard they were planning on making a third album. They are taking absolutely forever to make it though, :<

It's been forever since Epitaph and I haven't even heard much in the past couple years. I don't think they've broken up, just that they're dicking around or something. >:[

The Man
03-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Yeah what is it, nine years? That's still not as much as the 13 years since Elvenefris though. Lykathea Aflame fans have been even more patient than Wintersun and Necrophagist fans :monster: Lux Occulta and Estatic Fear are other examples of bands that have taken even longer than Necrophagist :monster:

NorthernChaosGod
03-01-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm super impatient. I was getting pretty upset about Time not coming out, especially since I was actually following all the updates. At least that one turned out great. I can't imagine waiting over a decade for new material. :(

The Man
03-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Yeah, Time is great. I want part two now :(

Honestly though, the last two Mars Volta albums were sub par.They weren't up to the standard of the first four, but I'm sure they'll still be better than anything either of them does on their own :colbert:

Pheesh
03-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Totally agree. It was just sad to look forward to an album for all that time and then it be a disappointment. At least I don't have anything more than a vague interest in their solo stuff.

The Man
03-01-2013, 02:17 AM
To be honest I wasn't terribly disappointed by either Octahedron or Noctourniquet because the descriptions Omar and Cedric gave before the albums were released led me not to expect much. What sucks is they seem to have lost interest in doing the crazy psychedelic prog they were doing at the beginning of TMV's existence and there are far too few artists performing that style competently right now so TMV will be horribly missed. :<

Pheesh
03-01-2013, 02:29 AM
Both albums were a waste of exceptionally good drummers's talents. At least I never get sick of the first 4 albums.

Slothy
03-01-2013, 02:37 AM

Honestly though, the last two Mars Volta albums were sub par.They weren't up to the standard of the first four, but I'm sure they'll still be better than anything either of them does on their own :colbert:

I'd say both were far better than Amputecture, but then, Amputecture was so mind numbingly bad that I didn't listen to a new Mars Volta album until finally giving Bedlam in Goliath a shot maybe two or three months ago. Then I realized that Amputecture was probably an anomaly and grabbed the rest. Now sure, not everything on Octahedron and Noctourniquet is great, and none of it is really like the style they set out in the beginning, but most of those aldums are good to really fucking great.

Sephex
03-01-2013, 02:43 AM
I am glad that Trent Reznor is bringing Nine Inch Nails back.

The Man
03-01-2013, 06:15 AM
There are a lot of good songs on Octahedron and Noctourniquet, but Amputechture is not a bad album and Octa and Noct are not better than it :colbert: If nothing else "Day of the Baphomets" is one of the best songs TMV ever recorded, and alone makes the album almost worth the price of admission :doublecolbert:

Laddy
03-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Jeff Buckley needed more time to show him awesomeness.

The Man
03-01-2013, 07:14 AM
How the smurf did I forget Jeff Buckley? I'm ashamed of myself.

Slothy
03-02-2013, 12:32 AM
There are a lot of good songs on Octahedron and Noctourniquet, but Amputechture is not a bad album and Octa and Noct are not better than it :colbert: If nothing else "Day of the Baphomets" is one of the best songs TMV ever recorded, and alone makes the album almost worth the price of admission :doublecolbert:

I haven't had any desire to listen to Amputecture in the last 6 years or whatever since it was released, but I distinctly remember there being two songs I thought were good, two that were mediocre at best, and the rest being border line unlistenable piles of shit. That album had absolutely nothing on Deloused or Frances, or even anything that came after if you ask me. Now to your credit, I'm listening to Day of the Baphomets again now and it's probably one of the songs I thought were good (only three minutes in so there's always time for that to change), but I'm not going to lie, until this thread I never met anyone who actually liked that album with the exception of one or two songs.

The Man
03-02-2013, 12:34 AM
To be honest I've only met a few people who dislike that album. The only song I don't particularly like on it is "Vermicide", although if you're really picky about vocals I can see why the album might not go over too well. There are some really annoying vocal effects on certain parts of it, but I don't care about vocals too much :monster:

Slothy
03-02-2013, 12:42 AM
I can't remember it well enough to speak with any authority as to what I didn't like about the whole thing. I no it wasn't just vocals though. Most of the songs just did not sit well with me. In particular though I remember not feeling that John Theodore was in top form on that album. The drumming seemed quite bland compared to what he did on the previous two albums.

Citizen Bleys
03-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Arlibido
Thrush Hermit
Brother Cane

I can understand why nobody's mentioned the first 2 since they're Maritime bands, but surely other people have heard of Brother Cane?

chionos
03-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Arlibido
Thrush Hermit
Brother Cane

I can understand why nobody's mentioned the first 2 since they're Maritime bands, but surely other people have heard of Brother Cane?

A dead friend was into Brother Cane. To be honest, I never liked them, but if them coming back would bring him back, I'd take it. =)

Don't know the other two, as you anticipated, but listening to Arlibido now.

Forsaken Lover
03-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Pantera

This.

Also Malice Mizer.

Shoden
03-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Bathory
Dio

The only reason they're not is because of death. :/

Would love to hear how Quorthon could have developed on the Nordland sound, there's been a rise in bands getting in touch with their cultural roots, heritage and history in the same way he did with his own.