PDA

View Full Version : I know far too much about video games

Freya
03-01-2013, 01:29 AM
I work at a certain retail store that sells video games. Before I was very stuck in my likes and dislikes of games so my knowledge was limited. Now, hell I know so much crap. I surprise myself sometimes when people ask me about games. Even if I don't know too much about it I can wing it and bs like a mofo. It's even bled into my social life. Someone mentions something and I shut it down fairly quickly.

How vast is your gaming knowledge? Do you limit yourself to a certain genre or platform? DO you know too much about video games?

Bolivar
03-01-2013, 01:46 AM
I used to limit myself to JRPGs, with a couple genres on the side, but they stopped making those so I've played a ton way too many shooters, racers, and action games this generation than I probably would have otherwise. As a result, getting into general gaming happenings led to me knowing a lot about the big publishers, their studios and partners, and some of the individuals with lead roles on games.

I do kinda wish I'd spend more of the time sunk on news blogs and even here, to a lesser extent, would be spent on games instead.

Laddy
03-01-2013, 06:25 AM
My niche is mid 90's to early 00's WRPG's. Outside of that, I'm about as knowledgeable as the average gamer.

qwertysaur
03-01-2013, 06:32 AM
I am a pokémon encyclopedia.

Pike
03-01-2013, 10:28 AM
How vast is your gaming knowledge? Do you limit yourself to a certain genre or platform? DO you know too much about video games?

I think I know quite a bit. Even about things that I don't play. This is a side effect from spending large amounts of time on /v/ and the Something Awful gaming subforum. In particular I know a lot about strategy games. I uh... I also know a lot about the TES series :shobon: :redface:

Pete for President
03-01-2013, 10:53 AM
There are some games I know almost everything about. FFX, Dark Souls, GTA Vice City...

if only that memory space was used to remember more useful things :cry:

Shauna
03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I think I know quite a bit. Even about things that I don't play. This is a side effect from spending large amounts of time on /v/

Well, I don't personally browse /v/ but people I know do and they link me to things.

I dunno how much I know, but I can talk about stuff quite widely. 90% of it might just be stuff I pulled from my ass, but luckily other people don't know that. :shifty:

Mirage
03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm probably as knowledgeable as the average gamer, except with lots of knowledge about a few select series and titles, such as Final Fantasy, Tales, Disgaea, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Star Ocean and Metal Gear Solid.

Jinx
03-01-2013, 02:42 PM
I've never really claimed to be that knowledgeable about video games. I know a fair share about certain Final Fantasy and Zelda games. Oh, and Shadow Hearts. That's about it.

Shoeberto
03-01-2013, 03:19 PM
I know a pretty good amount about general gaming history from the '80s up until now with a few very niche areas that I've studied more deeply. I've become a lot more knowledgeable about the tech behind it all in recent years, which tends to tell a pretty interesting story about the development process.

Pike
03-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Oh yes that reminds me. I do know a LOT about gaming history because I read every gaming history book I can get my hands on and then I re-read them once a year or so.

Madame Adequate
03-01-2013, 05:26 PM
I know a stupid amount about videogames, but my knowledge of the current console generation is lacking because it's the first time in a long time I've only had one of the consoles, and I've become more of a PC gamer over the last few years.

Rantz
03-01-2013, 05:34 PM
I know diddly-squat. Which is weird because I always tend to get niched in with the gaming crowd and they always talk about super popular games I've never even heard of and I'm like, well... I love the LoZ games and the FF games! :3

Freya
03-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Guys! the bew walking dead game has the voice actors of merle and daryl actually in it! Oh and the new game by bungie? not limited to just the 360. What about that game defiance? Apparently your choices in the game affect the scyfy show. But last of us is zombies but not zombies and only on ps3. Weird naughty dog once created crash bandicoot and is now one of the big name devs. Etc etc etc

Shorty
03-01-2013, 09:22 PM
I used to be pretty damn knowledgeable about the main Tomb Raider Games, Gex, Crash and Spyro (I was just good at them, so I guess that makes me knowledgeable?) and some other old PS games but it's been a long time since I've played all of them. FFVIII is pretty much the only Final Fantasy that I've mastered and I'm pretty knowledgeable about it.

I'd say my knowledge of Fallout ranges in the 50% range, if not less, purely because there is just so much trout and so many smurfing paths to take and so much to do and I've barely cracked even half of it (that may be a generous estimate).

black orb
03-06-2013, 05:46 PM
>>> I only know about the games I have played.. My 10 year old cousin know more about videogames than me..:luca:

Bubba
03-07-2013, 04:39 PM
My knowledge is more around retro gaming as I'm a bit of a collector in that regard. I have an entire double wardrobe dedicated to retro games and magazines covering mid 1980's to the late 1990's.

Come at me, ladies.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 04:54 PM
"Compared to who?"

Basically, I could say I am because I know more about gaming than anyone in my office, and perhaps more than most people in the city.

However, compared to the likes of some people at EoFF, I'm a fair bit behind. I just don't have the finances nor the time to really push through as many games as I'd like to push through. I do like to think I cover a very broad variety of games over the past twenty years, though.

Rantz
03-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Basically, I could say I am because I know more about gaming than anyone in my office, and perhaps more than most people in the city.

However, compared to the likes of some people at EoFF, I'm a fair bit behind.

Pretty much. Although you're probably more updated than me still. I'm a nerdy honky but I'm still a filthy casual.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-08-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm about average though there are some series I know very well, even the entries I did not play. :D

Madame Adequate
03-08-2013, 05:27 PM
My knowledge is more around retro gaming as I'm a bit of a collector in that regard. I have an entire double wardrobe dedicated to retro games and magazines covering mid 1980's to the late 1990's.

Come at me, ladies.

Can... can I come at you instead? :drool:

Bubba
03-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Yes... Yes you can. You, Pike, me and my Missus can have a four-way.

I have a SNES Multitap, you see.

Sephex
03-08-2013, 07:55 PM

Come at me, ladies.

Sounds good. When can I come over? Even though I am a fat American, I promise not to eat everything.

Bubba
03-09-2013, 09:43 AM

Come at me, ladies.

Sounds good. When can I come over? Even though I am a fat American, I promise not to eat everything.

My door is always open.

Though that's mainly because my huge pile of NES games don't fit into the corner of the wardrobe properly.

Freya
03-09-2013, 09:45 AM
So while writing my latest article about Dragon Quest X coming to the Wii U in japan I needed some price points for the Wii U bundles in America to put in. What did I do? Did I look them up? No. I knew them off the top of my head and what came with each bundle o.o Someone Help me D:

Mercen-X
03-09-2013, 06:53 PM
I only know what genre's I like and I usually judge Action/Adventure/RPGs on their skin before I give them a shot. Otherwise I need outside feedback before trying a game. I'll waste time playing games I don't like (shooters, sidescrolling, etc.), but I usually dish a lot of guff.