PDA

View Full Version : The Zeal peeps be dying their hair, yo.

Sephex
03-03-2013, 05:30 AM
So in Chrono Trigger the kingdom of Zeal people dye their hair. At least, I remember people saying that some Japanese line of the game or a developer said that.

I have also noticed that Alfador, the cat Janus owns has roughly the same hair color. Does that mean they dyed the damn cat?

Also, when Janus gets whipped into the year 600, years later as Magus he still has the same hair color. Did he have a few bottles of the hair dye on him?

These are serious questions that needs answering.

VeloZer0
03-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Maybe the royal family has naturally blue hair and as a result all the nobility feel compelled to emulate them?

Fynn
03-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Maybe the royal family has naturally blue hair and as a result all the nobility feel compelled to emulate them?

Nope. Schala's hair reverts to blonde after spending who-knows-how-long with the Time Devourer. Also, Kid - her identical clone - is blonde. So yeah.

VeloZer0
03-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Schala's hair turned blonde, but so did Terra's, so I don't usually put too much stock in it.

Fynn
03-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Schala's hair turned blonde, but so did Terra's, so I don't usually put too much stock in it.

Hmm... Terra's was originally blonde, judging by the artwork, but the sprite artists changed it so that she may be more distinguishable. Whereas Schala was supposed to be blue-haired, if Toriyama's art is anything to go by. You might say the hair change was stylistic, and yet Guile (who was supposed to be Magus, but they scrapped that) still has purple/blue hair. I don't think it's pure stylistic choice.

Del Murder
03-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Magus ground up blue imps and made more dye out of them.

Sephex
03-03-2013, 11:49 PM
I am happy that people are discussing Magus hair dye theories, but what about the cat? Did the Kingdom of Zeal dye Alfador's fur?

Citizen Bleys
03-04-2013, 01:46 AM
I don't think it's possible to dye the fur of a cat. I mean...have you ever tried to bathe one? Can't be done.

Roogle
03-04-2013, 10:08 AM
I believe the purple color scheme of the Zeal royal family was meant to invoke images of a time when only the richest families could afford purple colored dyes.

Elly
03-04-2013, 06:22 PM
omg, it just hit me the Blue fur is natural for Alfadore, its the people of Zeal trying to emulate him...
no but really, Roogle's prolly right, the Purples, and to an extent the Blues, are prolly there just to be a subconscious trigger to make us think of royalty...

Quindiana Jones
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Maybe they all dye their hair the same colour as the cat's natural coat? Maybe the cat is royalty?

theundeadhero
03-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Maybe when we was older Magus made a wig out of Alfador's dead cat body?

Elly
03-08-2013, 08:38 PM
eeewww... catskin cap, gross...

though it gives me the mental image of him running out the door of a log cabbin in the woods in his catskin cap like a drunken hillbilly, lol...

Wolf Kanno
03-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Its probably a bit of an artist warp kind of deal. Even Akira Toriyama did it when you compare sprite work with some of his animated cutscenes.

Case in point:

Frog's human form Sprite

Cutscene Human Frog

I feel the character designer of CC just took some liberties and the team rolled with it. Hell, some fans wouldn't be surprised if it was purposely changed to troll CT fans since there is an underlying belief among some CC haters that CC's whole purpose was to basically deconstruct and brow beat CT due to Masato Kato being exasperated with creative differences during CT's development.

theundeadhero
03-09-2013, 07:33 PM
That motherfucker! :p
I personally don't even enjoy CC that much.

qwertysaur
03-12-2013, 12:56 AM
The blue hair comes from Magic.

Elly
03-12-2013, 01:07 PM
ssshhh... don't insert fantasy into a discussion about logic in fantasy, you may cause the space time continuum to implode...

:lol:

Mercen-X
03-19-2013, 05:30 AM
I don't think it's possible to dye the fur of a cat. I mean...have you ever tried to bathe one? Can't be done.

If you feed a cat a food with a blue hue on the inside, it might dye it's own fur during its ritual tongue bath. :p