PDA

View Full Version : I just bought my domain!

Night Fury
03-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Just bought the domain for my blog! This is so exciting :D

It was fairly cheap too, now I hope this will get me a lot more traffic so my blog can grow and be all... professional news website and stuff! Eeeep! :D

Anyone else ever bought a domain?

CimminyCricket
03-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Si. I bought one in 2007 and haven't stopped using it. It's easy to forget you pay for it when it I only get charged once a year xD

Night Fury
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah it's really not a lot either! It was $10 which ended up being about £8.50

I can't wait to get home and off this shitty library computer and play around with it!

Jinx
03-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Wow. That's super cheap.

EDIT: So what are the benefits of buying a domain name, other than having it be YOUR SITE.

Night Fury
03-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I think you can do a lot more with it to do with coding, you'll get a lot more traffic and it'll be taken more seriously as a journalism site.

CimminyCricket
03-05-2013, 01:57 PM
It's like having a sign on your business. It's there so people know who you are when they see it and in the internet's case find you. It doesn't really let you change anything on the inside of the store. If you want to be able to code more stuff, you'll have to get a host that doesn't limit you.

Shoeberto
03-05-2013, 02:14 PM
I think you can do a lot more with it to do with coding, you'll get a lot more traffic and it'll be taken more seriously as a journalism site.
It doesn't really have much to do with the coding aspect. That part is dependent on what sort of hosting you have - different hosts have different server configurations to allow you to do more things.

A domain is basically like a calling card. It's so when you're telling someone about your website, you don't have to say "oh check out my blog it's at geocities dot com slash tilde cloudxtifa4ever slash media slash pages slash blog dot aych tee em el."

And it is super cheap. That's why the good domains go fast to squatters who will sell you something desirable for a trumped-up price. But I don't think I've ever paid more than maybe $10 for a year of domain registration.

I've had expectnomore.net (http://www.expectnomore.net) for close to ten years now.

Quindiana Jones
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
The fourth through seventeenth planes of Oblivion are my domain. Got them dirt cheap, since I bought in bulk. It only set me back around five human souls.

Pike
03-05-2013, 03:16 PM
The fourth through seventeenth planes of Oblivion are my domain. Got them dirt cheap, since I bought in bulk. It only set me back around five human souls.

I object on the grounds of there only being sixteen planes of Oblivion.

Edit: Unless you're talking about planes not directly owned by the Daedric Princes I guess

As for the initial question: yes, I own three different domain names which all point back to various segments of some hosting I've got going on. A domain name by itself doesn't do much; the hosting is where it's at!

Aulayna
03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I've had multiple domains in my time. Most of which have long expired by now apart from radiant-mythology which is currently just my personal hosting dump until I get around to doing something with it.

In alphabetical order from what I recall:

auchindoun.com
battlegroup10.net
khcommunity.com
radiant-mythology.com
spiraonline.com
zchq.net
zcentralhq.net
zeldacentralhq.com
zeldacentralhq.net
zeldacommunity.com

Quindiana Jones
03-05-2013, 03:25 PM

I object on the grounds of there only being sixteen planes of Oblivion.

Edit: Unless you're talking about planes not directly owned by the Daedric Princes I guess

Of course, since you can't purchase domains that are already owned by Daedric Princes.

Pike
03-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Okay, fair enough.