PDA

View Full Version : Pixar or Gtfo

Chris
03-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Perhaps it is just me, but unless it has the Pixar Studios logo plasted on it, I tend to scuff. These past couple of days I have been watching several non-Pixar animated movies, and actually found myself enjoying them quite a lot. When did this attitude develope? A lot of people I know, have all become the same way - it's either Pixar or gtfo.

maybee
03-05-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm the odd one out here. I don't really enjoy Pixar movies all that much. Toy Story is okay, but not the Holy Grail of movies, same with Finding Nemo that so overhyped it made the overhype for FF XIII back in 2008 look pale.

Are they funny ? Yes, they always manage to gain a good joke now and again.

Are they heart-warming ? Yes, who didn't feel sad when Buzz realized that he was a toy and not really a Space Hero ?

Are they well- written ? .... They can be.

Are they the best- best- best- best thing ever ? No.

They are so over hyped. Even when Brave was about to come out the Internet when crazy. When Finding Nemo was out, everybody went crazy for it, same with all the other Pixar movies.

They are entertaining movies, but not animation holy grail gold. I would rather pick up Little Mermaid or HOND from the old VHS store to be a Black Sheep here.

Ouch!
03-05-2013, 11:43 PM
I think the thing about Pixar is not that they beat classic animation, but when it came to computer animated movies, Pixar, for a very, very long time, was far and away better that just about every other studio. Dreamworks had its moment in the spotlight with Shrek, but then went largely downhill until How to Train Your Dragon. Other studios have, more recently, begun to catch up. But for a long time, there was a long disparity between the quality of work Pixar was doing with computer-animated movies and that of their competition.

Jinx
03-06-2013, 12:46 AM
I fill like computer animated movies have ruined what I once used to love. Except for Tangled and Brave, I seriously hate them.

Del Murder
03-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Pixar is the gold standard for computer animation. They set the tone, and like Ouch! said for a long time no one could come close. But like all things once people notice consistent success they raise their own standards to live up to it. That's how you have great non-Pixar computer animated movies like Despicable Me or Wreck-It-Ralph.

I still think Pixar is the best, though Brave and Cars 2 have been below their usual standard. I have no reason to believe Monsters U. won't be awesome.

Night Fury
03-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Dreamworks is pretty good imo.

How to Train Your Dragon.

Pheesh
03-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Toy Story 3 and Up! are two of my favourite all time movies, so yeah, I love Pixar. But I've never thought that an animated movie was automatically worse because it wasn't done by Pixar, it's just that like others in this thread mentioned, Pixar were the best for so long.

Mercen-X
03-07-2013, 04:31 AM
I would rather pick up HOND from the old VHS store to be a Black Sheep here.

"House of Naked Dolls?"

maybee
03-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I would rather pick up HOND from the old VHS store to be a Black Sheep here.

"House of Naked Dolls?"

Rofl ! No. :jess:

Hunchback of Notre Dame.

NeoCracker
03-08-2013, 08:15 AM
I enjoy a lot of Pixar, though there have been movies I thought were far better such as Coraline and Paranorman.

But yeah, I hated Finding Nemo. Other then that, they've been pretty consistant in making enjoyable movies.

Big D
03-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Up and Brave were, for me, showing some serious signs of the Disneys. Especially Brave, which was honestly a let-down in every respect except for the mind-blowing animation and visual detail. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some rabid anti-Disney type or anything - I like their work and its reputation speaks for itself. But their growing influence on Pixar's storytelling has led to some disappointments along the way.

Dreamworks have been making more hits and fewer misses over the years; everyone loves HTTYD, and their back catalogue includes overlooked gems like The Road to El Dorado, which is brilliant to watch as an adult 'cause of the epic bromance and fantastic banter.

Shorty
03-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Up and Brave were, for me, showing some serious signs of the Disneys. Especially Brave, which was honestly a let-down in every respect except for the mind-blowing animation and visual detail. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some rabid anti-Disney type or anything - I like their work and its reputation speaks for itself. But their growing influence on Pixar's storytelling has led to some disappointments along the way.

I felt this way about Up. Also, The Road to El Dorado is amazing.

Other than that, I've loved most Pixar movies I've ever seen. A Bug's Life (because Dave Foley), Monster's Inc, Toy Stories, etc. And nobody here can tell me that they didn't get feels while watching Wall-E.

Ones that I'm not so fond of are The Incredibles and Cars. What makes Pixar so great is that they generally write their films in a way that can appeal to adults as well as their intended audience, but I felt like that slipped a little with Cars, The Incredibles and Up.

Del Murder
03-09-2013, 05:31 AM
Up was amazing D! On my top 5 Pixar list for sure.

1. Toy Story 3
2. The Incredibles
3. Wall-E
4. Up
5. Monsters Inc.

Miriel
03-09-2013, 06:24 AM
I don't see how Up was in any way Disneyfied. I can see the argument about Brave because Brave was way more... typical. But Up was pretty different and innovative. How often do you have a main character who is an old man or a little asian boy?

blackmage_nuke
03-09-2013, 06:43 AM
I think Bolt is one of the most underappreciated 3d animated films. I was sceptical at first, "Oh a kids movie with a puppy as the main character, how original" but then I was surpised to find it was quite unique. It was a Disney production and I wasnt aware that it wasnt Pixar until I looked it up after I saw it.

Freya
03-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I hope they make another HTTYD. Oh man. Pixar can shove it when it comes to Hiccup and Nightfury.

maybee
03-09-2013, 12:41 PM
I want another Ku Fu Panda. How to Train was pretty cute though, and I think that they making another one.

Bubba
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I want another Ku Fu Panda

I watched this on a Sunday afternoon on my own when I was extremely hungover and subsequently a tad emotional. I remember tearing up when his master died towards the end. He didn't even die... he was just pretending. I'm glad no-one was there to see me.

The same thing happened to me with Free Willy 3.

maybee
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
I want another Ku Fu Panda

I watched this on a Sunday afternoon on my own when I was extremely hungover and subsequently a tad emotional. I remember tearing up when his master died towards the end. He didn't even die... he was just pretending. I'm glad no-one was there to see me.

Watch the 2nd one. You'll cry even more. And the peacock is a excellent villain.

Shiny
03-10-2013, 04:03 AM
In the next couple of years, Pixar will no longer be the standard for computer animated films with Disney, Universal, and Dreamworks having some exciting stuff in the works for the upcoming years. However I don't think Dreamworks and Universal will be able to catch up because they're not as good at storytelling as the Pixar team. Disney probably will be able to be on par.

DMKA
03-10-2013, 06:40 AM
I fill like computer animated movies have ruined what I once used to love. Except for Tangled and Brave, I seriously hate them.

Same. There are a few I like, WALL-E and Tangled for example, but the vast majority of them I don't like at all. I hate the way so many animators choose to make their CGI characters look, and I hate that CGI films replaced traditional animation.

Pixar has made some good films, but I think they get way more praise than they deserve, and people forgive them way too easily. Not to mention now they're doing all the things people who claim to love Pixar but hate Disney for doing. The most amusing part of this phenomenon now ("I love Pixar but I hate Disney") is that Pixar IS Disney. Hell, the whole reason Brave was made the way it was is because Disney wanted another addition to the Princess line. :p

Even though I don't care for some of their stuff, I will admit that I don't think Pixar has ever made a "bad" film, I'll give them that. I also don't think any of the films in Disney's animated features canon are bad either, but people seem to hate everything they've made since Mulan by default.

charliepanayi
03-10-2013, 11:06 AM
People expect quality from Pixar based on past experience, there's very few people around who have matched their consistency in delivering great films, certainly their run from Toy Story 2 through to Toy Story 2 is amazingly good, it's like the film equivalent of David Bowie's run of albums in the 1970s (without the copious drug intake - well, probably). From other animated studios it's always been more of a mixed bag over the last 10-15 years, so you're never sure if the latest one will be more of a How to Train Your Dragon or more of a (shudders) Shark Tale.

Ouch!
03-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I hope they make another HTTYD. Oh man. Pixar can shove it when it comes to Hiccup and Nightfury.
You mean like this? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1646971/)

charliepanayi
03-10-2013, 10:48 PM
They were always going to make another How to Train Your Dragon, that film was huge. The only surprise is it's taken them so long.

qwertysaur
03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
I love how every single Pixar movie has a reference for the next pixar movie. I really admire the attention to the little details that come together to make the movie special.

Also Pixar makes some of the most charming short films ever. La Luna was adorable and magnificent.

Depression Moon
03-11-2013, 07:45 PM
You never watched The Prince of Egypt or The Iron Giant back in the day Chris
I put those 2 above a lot of Pixar stuff.

Shorty
03-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Aaaaah, I love The Iron Giant! That animation was ahead of its time.

charliepanayi
03-11-2013, 08:53 PM

Pixar clearly saw the latter (which is brilliant) as they hired Brad Bird and he wound up directing two of their best films. The Prince of Egypt is good but no way does it compare with Pixar's best. Plus it loses points for the horror that is a Houston/Carey duet.

Chris
03-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Aaaaah, I love The Iron Giant! That animation was ahead of its time.
The Iron Giant is quite possibly one of the best in history.

Other ones I like are: "Once Upon a Forest", "We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story", "A Troll in Central Park", "Ferngully" and "Help! I'm a Fish".

I love all of those so much. :(

Shorty
03-11-2013, 10:21 PM
All that and no mention of The Princess and the Goblin?

We may be steering into another territory, though.

(fucking love fern gulley ;____________________; )

Chris
03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
I usually loathe MLP, but I loved this one as a kid:

http://eu.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/74/MPW-37128

It is SOOO much better than the FIM crap. :cry:

DMKA
03-12-2013, 02:45 AM

Agreed. The Iron Giant, The Prince of Egypt and The Road to El Dorado are better than anything Pixar's ever made, and better than many of the movies Disney's even made, in my opinion.

maybee
03-12-2013, 06:16 AM
(smurfing love fern gulley ;____________________; )

This. But I'm loving Ferngully more as a adult than I did as a child. As a child I couldn't watch it all the way through because the badguy scared me too much. Now he's rather interesting, because he's basically having sexual orgasms by all the pollution. It's interesting how they put something quite adult into something aimed at children.

DMKA
03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
(smurfing love fern gulley ;____________________; )

This. But I'm loving Ferngully more as a adult than I did as a child. As a child I couldn't watch it all the way through because the badguy scared me too much. Now he's rather interesting, because he's basically having sexual orgasms by all the pollution. It's interesting how they put something quite adult into something aimed at children.

Tim Curry is an acting genius.

Bubba
03-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Tim Curry is an acting genius.

Tim Curry is scary as smurf.

Laddy
03-27-2013, 10:42 PM
I can testify that both are one in the same.