PDA

View Full Version : Yoshi Unknowingly Used By Indie Developer?

Evastio
03-05-2013, 11:24 PM
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/fake-yoshi-bro.jpg

So supposedly, an indie developer created this game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Eo5dgGIz0) (called Era's Adventure), buying the Yoshi model off TurboSquid, using it as the main character of his game, not being familiar with Yoshi.

Full Story: (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/nintendos-yoshi-sneaks-on-to-google-play-in-unlicensed-game/)

UPDATE (3/1/13): Botond Kopacz, the developer behind Era's Adventure, has gotten back to Ars Technica, saying that the use of Nintendo's IP was unknowing and inadvertent. "Actually this is an indie game developed by one developer, so due to the limitation of effort, I purchased a cute character from TurboSquid, one of the biggest 3D asset stores, without knowing the background story of the character Yoshi, since I'm not a Super Mario fan," he said in an e-mail.

Indeed, the model from Era's Adventure does seems to show up in a quick search of Turbosquid's database. Turbosquid representatives weren't immediately available for comment on their hosting of this royalty-free 3D model of Nintendo's copyrighted character.

"Once the game was released on the Play Store, after spending hundreds of hours in making the game, I started receiving 'kind' mails from Super Mario fans that I stole Yoshi, etc. So I started Googling and I realized that the character is really from the Super Mario series," Kopacz said.

But even after hearing about the problem, he says he didn't find anything related to the specific 3D model of Yoshi in the US copyright, trademark, and pattern database. "Since no assets are stolen from any Nintendo game or website and the Yoshi's name is not present anywhere, there is no copyright violation. [There would be] at least pattern violation if the 3D model is detailedly registered in the US pattern database."

Still, Kopacz says he's working on modifying the character to be less similar to Nintendo's iconic dinosaur. "I know that, even if I modify the character a little bit, that this will still be a big problem for the Nintendo fans, but I'm making the game alone so I have really limited time to do some changes. And I still hope that many people will find the game great and many people will enjoy it."

ORIGINAL STORY:

Mobile gaming boosters who want Nintendo to give up the hardware game and make titles for iOS and Android were probably excited to see a 3D render of Yoshi's smiling face looking up from a Google Play icon this week. Unfortunately, the green dinosaur's appearance in Era's Adventure 3D, from unknown Hungarian developer Andev, is as phony as the $1.99 bill you'd need to purchase the full version from Google's digital store.

As shown in its official YouTube trailer, the game features a 3D Yoshi model practically indistinguishable from the official art used for Nintendo's popular character (save for a permanent, slightly dazed grin on his face). It's unlikely that an official Nintendo game would feature that model walking around semi-realistic wood-and-stone environments, shooting a never-ending stream of fireballs at random piles of barrels and crates, but hey, you never know when Nintendo will decide to mix up the formula, right?

Google Play is full of homages to popular characters and games, of course (e.g., Awesome Land, which we featured in last week's Android app roundup), but this blatant use of another company's IP goes quite a bit farther than most. Despite Google's recent attempts to crack down on apps that are "confusingly similar," the Google Play store is still an untamed jungle with little order or control.

Unlike Apple, Google puts apps through little-to-no approval process before making them available on its online store, relying on post-release complaints from users or copyright holders instead. That might be for the best, since it's unrealistic to expect Google to do a full copyright and IP search for all of the thousands of apps that are submitted to Google Play every day (and even Apple's system lets through scams like last year's best-selling fake Pokemon Yellow app).

Neither Andev nor Nintendo immediately responded to our request for comment. In any case, we'd expect the normal post-release review process will take down Era's Adventure quite quickly, though it should be noted that none of the 12 "five star" user reviews for the game (out of 14 total so far) seem to mind the game's illegal use of a familiar Nintendo character. And the eventual takedown won't stop the 100 to 500 people that Google Play estimates have already downloaded the game from playing around with a virtual Yoshi on their phones and tablets. Maybe if they squint really hard, they can make themselves believe that Nintendo has actually fulfilled their dreams of a real Yoshi game on Android.

So what do you guys think? Is he innocent or not?

krissy
03-05-2013, 11:35 PM
i can honestly see that happening
but i don't think it takes that long to re-skin the friggin skeleton with a new model, especially if it's just one character and everything else is in place already. just change the head in blender or something, done deal

maybee
03-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Innocent ? Yeah right. Who doesn't know Yoshi ? If you don't know Yoshi you had a sad, sad childhood.

Rostum
03-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Oh well, it looks terrible anyways.

Formalhaut
03-06-2013, 12:26 AM
I think he genuinely doesn't know who Yoshi is. Anyone with half a brain would know that you can't rip a character, let alone a flagship character, without all sorts of legal and copyright battle.

No one would even risk getting caught. It's bloody Nintendo. They've got a crack team of lawyers just lying in wait to pounce. Low budget indie game or not, who would risk it?

Though I do agree. Must be incredibly rare for someone not to hear of Yoshi. Did he not play Yoshi's Island? Or Super Mario Galaxy II?

Bolivar
03-06-2013, 02:49 AM
LOL unfortunately for him, copyright vests upon creation, so the lack of registration is no defense.

This is hilariously similar to a landmark copyright case (http://performingsongwriter.com/george-harrison-my-sweet-lord/) involving George Harrison.

Del Murder
03-06-2013, 03:33 AM
Seriously, who hasn't heard of Yoshi?

nik0tine
03-06-2013, 04:18 AM
Turbosquid hosts all kinds of content like this. I've always wondered how they get away with selling this stuff.

Bubba
03-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Innocent ? Yeah right. Who doesn't know Yoshi ? If you don't know Yoshi you had a sad, sad childhood.

Seriously, who hasn't heard of Yoshi?

This.

Anyone who has even the slightest interest in making games can not fail to recognise Yoshi.

Pike
03-06-2013, 10:17 AM
wow, someone's been living under a rock.

Bubba
03-06-2013, 10:28 AM
wow, someone's been living under a rock.

... or he's telling porky pies.

Quindiana Jones
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
I can understand being ignorant of Nintendo characters if you don't play video games, but I reject the idea that it's possible if you are an actual game developer. Nobody is that indie.

Shorty
03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
No, I'm sorry. That thing is an exact replication of Yoshi. An exact replication. He may have not known what Yoshi or Mario Bros is, but he definitely saw Yoshi somewhere and replicated him to a T.

Even then I'm skeptical. You are in the business of game development, you fucking know who Yoshi is.

Shoeberto
03-06-2013, 05:07 PM
He's from eastern Europe and hadn't heard of Yoshi and bought a 3D model for a dragon game he was making off of a 3D model warehouse that didn't vet IP very well. It happens, and it's not really as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

And no, the game doesn't look very good, but it doesn't mean the guy deserves the shit storm he's gotten from this.

black orb
03-06-2013, 05:14 PM
He's from eastern Europe and hadn't heard of Yoshi and bought a 3D model for a dragon game he was making off of a 3D model warehouse that didn't vet IP very well. It happens, and it's not really as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

And no, the game doesn't look very good, but it doesn't mean the guy deserves the trout storm he's gotten from this.
>>> This..:luca:

And I would totally play that game. only for a couple of minutes of course :P.

Evastio
03-07-2013, 01:49 AM
I'm personally not sure if I believe him or not. I can understand Hungary not receiving the same exposure to video games as other countries and the general public there not being familiar with popular video game icons, but an indie game developer that's making a game, not being familiar with one of the most recognizable video game characters? Either way, the link he used to download Yoshi even stated that Yoshi was from Mario, so he should have had at least some idea that he was using intellectual property (plus getting the rights to an existing game character for only $65 should have raised a red flag in his mind. Then again given Hungary's lack of exposure to video games in general, it may not be his fault that he didn't know that).

Laddy
03-07-2013, 03:06 AM
This is adorable.

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 02:24 PM
There are a number of characters people would consider 'famous' that I don't recognise all that well, particularly from Nintendo because I've never owned most of their consoles (only recently owned a GBA and DS, and very, very rarely used them). I recognise Yoshi because I've played Mario Kart with my mates and because of sites that make use of them, but if someone showed me a famous character from Metal Gear Solid that isn't Solid Snake then I wouldn't recognise them, and there are a number of characters from other major Nintendo IPs that I doubt I'd recognise (I used to think Link was actually called Zelda, and I have no idea what the actual Zelda looks like to this day, etc etc).

These things can happen, basically. Nintendo isn't as massive as it once was, either, so if this guy only recently got into games and focused all his attention on the likes of Call of Duty and Skyrim then he probably wouldn't have seen much (nor paid attention to) Nintendo stuff.

Quindiana Jones
03-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Point of interest: Eastern Europe's main export is not lucky heather and shabby horses anymore, and Hungary is not a backwater country. They have electricity, and plenty of access to gaming and its industry. :up:

Shoeberto
03-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Point of interest: Eastern Europe's main export is not lucky heather and shabby horses anymore, and Hungary is not a backwater country. They have electricity, and plenty of access to gaming and its industry. :up:
I wasn't claiming that it was some third-world country. A lot of eastern Europe has been more heavily PC-centric since in the early days of the industry, the console devs didn't ship as many games there. It's a very different eco system where iD Software is more likely to be revered in the pop culture than Nintendo.

Evastio
03-08-2013, 01:33 AM
There are a number of characters people would consider 'famous' that I don't recognise all that well, particularly from Nintendo because I've never owned most of their consoles (only recently owned a GBA and DS, and very, very rarely used them). I recognise Yoshi because I've played Mario Kart with my mates and because of sites that make use of them, but if someone showed me a famous character from Metal Gear Solid that isn't Solid Snake then I wouldn't recognise them, and there are a number of characters from other major Nintendo IPs that I doubt I'd recognise (I used to think Link was actually called Zelda, and I have no idea what the actual Zelda looks like to this day, etc etc).

These things can happen, basically. Nintendo isn't as massive as it once was, either, so if this guy only recently got into games and focused all his attention on the likes of Call of Duty and Skyrim then he probably wouldn't have seen much (nor paid attention to) Nintendo stuff.
I agree about games like Call of Duty being more prevalent in media, but not about Nintendo losing its prevalence to that degree. It's still going really strong with a large amount of game releases and sales (both New Super Mario Bros. DS and Wii have sold over 27 million units, the Wii has outsold both the PS3 and the Xbox 360, and the DS and 3DS have outsold the PSP and Vita, respectively). Just because Nintendo isn't as prevalent or get as much publicity as in the past, that doesn't mean it's not as big a player in the gaming industry.

Either way, not knowing Mario or other major characters from the series like Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Bowser, and Toad is quite rare (even if they don't know their names, most people at least know they're from Mario or at least that they're video game characters). It's one thing to have never played Mario, but not hearing about or seeing him is quite ridiculous, especially if you have enough interest to go into game developing. Even though you think many kids nowadays don't know who Mario is because of Call of Duty getting more publicity, that's actually quite the opposite seeing how most kids and parents I overhear in the general gaming section of stores talk about and check out Mario games (yeah, it turns out that not all kid gamers are behind the mic screaming in Halo and CoD). Yeah, the internet and forums nowadays focuses a lot more on PS3/360/PC when it comes to gaming and gaming media, but that isn't representative of the whole gaming community (otherwise, the Wii wouldn't have been outselling both 7th Gen consoles and the DS would've never beat the PS2 in being the #1 best selling game console/handheld).

Anyways, about thinking Link's name was Zelda, welcome to the club (probably 70% of gamers think that at first. I know I did). But that still goes to show that Link is recognizable and well known among the public, since they at least associate him with the Zelda video game series. As for Solid Snake, people really overrate his iconic status. You could show a picture of him to random people on the street, and less than 1/3 of people would know who he is or where he's from.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Well, if it weren't for EoFF, I don't know when I would have learned about Zelda. I certainly don't read about Zelda in the papers very often and he just looks like an elf, doesn't he?

Also, Mario is far, far more famous than Yoshi.

All I'm really saying is that it's very possible that someone would never have known Yoshi despite being a game developer. It would be a fairly rare thing, but it's absolutely possible.

Jinx
03-08-2013, 02:34 PM
I think you're a special case, BoB.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 04:36 PM
If 'special case' means 'didn't grow up on Nintendo' then I guess so. :D

EDIT: Oh, wait, I did have a few of those one-game-only consoles - Donkey Kong, a racing game and I forget what else.