PDA

View Full Version : so i got an FFIV cartridge.

Jowy
03-06-2013, 10:00 AM
and I can't read a word of Japanese. Just became a paladin and called it quits for the night. Once the magnetic cave rolls around I'm probably gonna rage quit. anyone care to join along on this fun little challenge?

Yar
03-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Just press A relentlessly!

Jinx
03-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Choose whichever names are prettiest. :D

Evastio
03-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Which console? SNES, PS, GBA, DS, or PSP?

And I don't think rage quitting is necessary. You're pretty familiar with FFIV so language barriers shouldn't be an issue. It wasn't an issue for me when I played Pokemon Soul Silver in Japanese (and I only played through the game 2-3 times before that).

Mirage
03-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Well evastio, even if he's played it before, it could get pretty tricky to figure out which armor pieces are of metal and which aren't.

So Jowy, is your game as complete as this? :> (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1132077/images/2013-03-07%2014.35.41.jpg)

Jowy
03-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty much winging it with healing items and armours. Restorative items are a gamble too...I beat Scarmiglione by the skin of my teeth; when Porom gets KOed it goes downhill from there.

Baigan's gonna suck, boy howdy.

Evastio
03-08-2013, 01:36 AM
You still haven't answered regarding which version it is. :/

Well evastio, even if he's played it before, it could get pretty tricky to figure out which armor pieces are of metal and which aren't.
Well, you got a point about metal equipment. But he could use guides and figure out what it is and if it's metallic based on the defense it gives and who can equip it.

Jowy
03-08-2013, 10:23 PM
You still haven't answered regarding which version it is. :/

Well, you got a point about metal equipment. But he could use guides and figure out what it is and if it's metallic based on the defense it gives and who can equip it.

FFIV Super Famicom Japanese hardtype cartridge bro.

Jowy
03-13-2013, 11:32 PM
about to blindly stumble through the magnetic cave for the earth crystal. god help us all.

espritduo
03-14-2013, 03:23 AM
This may or may not be useful. I dunno, I've never tried to play a game in Japanese, so just having a reference list might not help at all in practice. But, here it is!

Final Fantasy IV/Translations - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV/Translations)

Roogle
03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Yes, the page that espritduo linked will make your playthrough of this Japanese copy of Final Fantasy IV like any other playthrough if you use it. It might take a little time to match up the symbols, but you might even learn some rudimentary Japanese from it.

Evastio
03-20-2013, 03:13 AM
So how was the Magnetic Cave?

The strategy I always used for that dungeon was just run from every battle until I face the Dark Elf (which I head straight to except when going to save points), then after the seal is broken get all the treasure chests. I never bothered with re-equipping my team with all non-metallic equipment since it seems really painful having Cecil use arrows and everyone use weaker equipment that isn't metal.

Jowy
03-20-2013, 11:24 PM
I'm grinding in the woods to get two Cat Claws for Yang. I'll take all the firepower I can get.

Spooniest
03-23-2013, 02:13 AM
Put this on while you're grinding, brother

s6E1IPGlCFM

Roogle
03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm grinding in the woods to get two Cat Claws for Yang. I'll take all the firepower I can get.

What are the stats on the Cat Claw? Is it really worth looking for them since you find at least one later on?

espritduo
03-27-2013, 04:01 AM
Yang's claws don't really increase his attack power, and their effects don't stack with multiples of the same claw, so there isn't any reason to equip two of the same claw, really. The Cat Claw's claim to fame is it can put enemies to sleep and give a +5 Strength, which isn't really that much. Exploiting elemental weaknesses are a much more effective use of claws that the random chance to put an enemy to sleep and the +5 Strength. You also get the Fairy Claws in the Magnetic Cave, which are insanely useful against Ogres and Mad Ogres (even with Edge using them!) and also give +3 Strength. But really, two different elemental claws to hit as many weaknesses as possible for a given area are the way to go in general.

Spooniest
03-27-2013, 04:37 AM
Now now, if the guy wants him some CatClaws, who are we to say no?

Jowy
03-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Nice food for thought; I always used to equip two of the same when applicable to produce a higher chance of whatever status effect would proc. if grinding for two really isn't necessary (which I've done on every single playthrough!), might as well skip it!

Roogle
05-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Did you finish your playthrough of this game on the Japanese Final Fantasy IV cartridge?

Jowy
05-07-2013, 05:13 AM
I got sidetracked with FFIX. I'm a quitter!

Sephex
05-09-2013, 04:04 AM
Now now, if the guy wants him some CatClaws, who are we to say no?

I obviously understand the context of this conversation, but I can imagine someone unfamiliar with the FF series reading that question and interpreting it as a dude who is trying to run a female fight club with "Cat Claws" being slang for underground female fighter.

Roogle
05-13-2013, 11:48 PM
I got sidetracked with FFIX. I'm a quitter!

You're not going to finish it? You could probably beat the game in a day or two.

Jowy
05-14-2013, 12:02 AM
i forgot to get the TwinHarp and got rolled at Dark Elf. i really hate that dungeon and don't wanna do it again.

Roogle
05-16-2013, 10:44 PM
What is wrong with that dungeon? You can equip everyone with equipment that allows them to fight properly. You can equip Cecil with a Bow and put him in the back row and Cid can fight with a Wooden Hammer.

Jowy
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
being at an extremely low level and out of ether for Tellah to huff.

VeloZer0
05-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Yeah, but swords are awesome and anything that inhibits by using them therefore sucks. :p

Roogle
05-22-2013, 11:06 PM
being at an extremely low level and out of ether for Tellah to huff.

There are certain monsters that are more susceptible to Osmose than other monsters. Tellah can target these with this spell to have a near limitless supply of MP for his entire stay in your party.