PDA

View Full Version : FF's timeline and Aesthetics

Greatermaximus
03-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Lets say all the FF's were created at the same time. They each retain their unique plot, theme, but lets give them all the best graphics possible.

Which one is better?

I created a topic about not seeing the story. Lets pretend you can see it quite clearly here. ;)

VeloZer0
03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Just because they have the best graphics possible doesn't mean that they are the same aesthetically. Presentation plays a huge part, camera angles and the like. I don't think you can separate a game's story telling from it's graphical presentation, because the way the dev team presents the story is intricately linked to it's tools to present it.

Greatermaximus
03-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Then why discuss one over the other and/or prefer one. I guess we all like to be a statistic.

Del Murder
03-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Just because they have the best graphics possible doesn't mean that they are the same aesthetically. Presentation plays a huge part, camera angles and the like. I don't think you can separate a game's story telling from it's graphical presentation, because the way the dev team presents the story is intricately linked to it's tools to present it.
Nah, the answer is FFVI.

Cecil Leonhart
03-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Graphics are overrated, though. XIII may have the "best" graphics, but I still like VI's graphics the best. I get what you're saying, though, GMaximus, but that's the thing. VI may have my favorite, but I really can't imagine any other FF fitting in that style.

Elly
03-14-2013, 12:24 AM
if all FFs were made today using the graphical quality of FFXIII... VII would still be the best one, followed by XIII, X, & VI respectivly... and yes i am judging by story...

for the inevitable "but XIII was an endless hallway"... Barthandalous clearly tells you that he's herding the party like cattle through a slaughter chute, guiding their progress... so there is a plot device in play for said hallway... though if someone got up to make a sandwich during that diatribe then i can see how they'd miss that key information ...

Bolivar
03-14-2013, 12:46 AM
Obviously there's a lot of elements that come into play as to what makes a game good, when you remove all developer constrictions at the time. FFVI had amazing dungeons. FFV's difficulty scaled wonderfully along with the story to present a consistent challenge. And I always liked how FFII let me build any kind of character I want.

But as VeloZer0 hinted, there's a lot of intangibles at play, and that's why I'd still give it up to Final Fantasy VII. I think it has the best pacing in the series, the best music, and the most cinematic combat of the games which tried it. It's the apotheosis of the virtues of the game designer and his/her ability to craft an experience, rather than leaving it up to the player to make their own fun. Very close is Final Fantasy XII, which was a giant of gameplay and a giant in story.

Cecil Leonhart
03-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Bolivar, I commend you for praising XII. That game receives way too much hate.

Rebellious Eagle
03-18-2013, 03:11 AM
I don't think graphics are what makes the game, and I really do love the simplicity of the graphics of the earlier FFs. In any case, FFVI would still be my favorite, even though it's perfect with the graphics it has now.

ShinGundam
03-18-2013, 03:18 AM
I don't think graphics are what makes the game, and I really do love the simplicity of the graphics of the earlier FFs. In any case, FFVI would still be my favorite, even though it's perfect with the graphics it has now.
Simplicity? play more early 90s JRPGs and you will get sick of it, some of commercial games feels like hack rom.