PDA

View Full Version : Soup

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
A war is being waged at work. Well, not a war. But a fun argument which is generally only going on for the very sake of having a fun argument. Anyway, this serious question has been posed and now YOU TOO can get involved.

Is soup a food or a drink?

Night Fury
03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
When is soup a drink?! It's a food!
You dip bread in it and it has chunks of vegetables and stuff in it! FOOD.

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 11:52 AM
When is soup a drink?! It's a food!
You dip bread in it and it has chunks of vegetables and stuff in it! FOOD.
Not all soup has chunks of vegetables in it. And you can dip cookies in drinks but that doesn't make the drink a food. :D

Night Fury
03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
But soup without the chunks is then blended up I assume? And you serve it in a bowl! And before you say cup soup they are not soup, it's a stock.

Also, when I'm thirsty I wouldn't say.. "Ooh, I'm thirsty.... I know what I fancy... SOME SOUP"

the_best_noob
03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Because of how I eat it, it's a food. I dip a spoon in and immerse the spoon of soup in my watering mouth. I do that with chili, which is definitely a food and not a drink. Therefore, soup is a food:colbert:

Shauna
03-07-2013, 11:56 AM
It's food. But, I also don't tend to eat soup that doesn't have chunks of veg and stuff in it. Also I would say that I eat soup, as opposed to drinking it.

Night Fury
03-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I actually have some cup soups at the back of the cupboard which would go down a wee treat right now actually as I need a snack which isn't chocolatey.

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 12:05 PM
But soup without the chunks is then blended up I assume? And you serve it in a bowl! And before you say cup soup they are not soup, it's a stock.
Tomato soup doesn't have to have chunks. There are a lot of soups without chunks out there! Also, you can get soup that is normally suited to a bowl and have it in a cup instead. At work, there are huge soup pots and you can choose a bowl or a cup. I choose a cup!

Also, when I'm thirsty I wouldn't say.. "Ooh, I'm thirsty.... I know what I fancy... SOME SOUP"
To be fair, I wouldn't say "Ooh, I'm thirsty... I know what I fancy... SOME SOUTHERN COMFORT AND LEMONADE" because alcohol actually dehydrates you (as does coffee). So drinking alcohol or coffee to relieve your thirst is a futile thing to do, but despite this they are still drinks.

Some people at work brought up that it's made from food, and I counter this with 100% fruit juice which is 100% food, while soup is largely made up of water mixed with food items.

For me, when you have chunks of food in your soup, they are not part of the soup, they are chunks of food in the soup, much like marshmallows in my hot chocolate doesn't mean that my hot chocolate is a food. :D

Bubba
03-07-2013, 12:30 PM
It is food. Plain and simple.

Some people at work brought up that it's made from food, and I counter this with 100% fruit juice which is 100% food.

Not really, if it's made from 100% fruit juice then it's just the juice of the fruit which would be a drink. They aren't made from 100% blended fruit.

I suppose you the closest you could get is fresh orange with juicy bits... there isn't really such thing as a (no tomato bollocks please) fruit soup though.

Maybe there should be. A... Foup?

sharkythesharkdogg
03-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Alcoholic drinks are still drinks. You have the interesting point of noting they only serve to dehydrate, but hydration isn't the only purpose of a drink. They can also be social in nature. Things like afternoon tea are more social. Going to get a beer with your coworkers is more of a social thing. Some drinks are just there for enjoyment.

The main division in my eyes is that almost no one drinks something and calls it a meal. (The only exception being smoothies, those I consider a meal, but some don't). No one drinks or eats soup as a refreshment. It's always considered a snack, or even for heavier soups and chowders, considered the main course of a meal.

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
It is food. Plain and simple.

Some people at work brought up that it's made from food, and I counter this with 100% fruit juice which is 100% food.

Not really, if it's made from 100% fruit juice then it's just the juice of the fruit which would be a drink. They aren't made from 100% blended fruit.

I suppose you the closest you could get is fresh orange with juicy bits... there isn't really such thing as a (no tomato bollocks please) fruit soup though.

Maybe there should be. A... Foup?
Many fruit can be turned into juice using 100% blended fruit (minus the core in some cases). And why should it matter regarding it being a fruit or a vegetable? They're both foods, right?

Tomato juice and tomato soup have extremely similar if not identical ingredients, both can be drunk from a cup (eaten from a cup!?), both can be heated. Tomato juice is definitely a drink... why not tomato soup? Also, tomato is a fruit. You don't have to like it, but it is the very definition of fruit. It just isn't as sweet as most fruit, but that doesn't make it any less a fruit (see also: pumpkins and other squashes). :)

Don't even get me started on smoothies. :D

Alcoholic drinks are still drinks. You have the interesting point of noting they only serve to dehydrate, but hydration isn't the only purpose of a drink. They can also be social in nature. Things like afternoon tea are more social. Going to get a beer with your coworkers is more of a social thing. Some drinks are just there for enjoyment.
I agree completely with all of this. Drinks are not simply a method of hydration or easing of thirst. They are there for all kinds of reasons - the only common thing, for me, is that you drink them. Like you do many soups. :D

The main division in my eyes is that almost no one drinks something and calls it a meal. (The only exception being smoothies, those I consider a meal, but some don't). No one drinks or eats soup as a refreshment. It's always considered a snack, or even for heavier soups and chowders, considered the main course of a meal.
Perhaps a meal doesn't have to be food, and can include drink so long as it is suitably nutritious. They are, after all, made from food. Interesting that you consider a smoothie a meal, though.

I consider something you drink to be a drink, and something you eat to be food. If I had to be technical, I would say that a soup is both food and drink, but if that were the case I would also find myself saying that 100% fruit juice is technically food and drink, too... but that's weird.

Bubba
03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
If it's called juice it's a drink.

If it's called soup it's a food.

/thread

Calliope
03-07-2013, 12:52 PM
If I'm on an aeroplane and I ask them to mix it with alcohol, will they look at me strangely?

If the answer is yes, it is probably not a beverage.

Agent Proto
03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Soup is food since its served in a bowl. Now if its served in a cup. I'd consider it a drink. Same goes for smoothies. Hell I even call halo halo a drink, even though it has chunks of fruits in it, only because its srrved in a cup!

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 12:55 PM
If I'm on an aeroplane and I ask them to mix it with alcohol, will they look at me strangely?

Water should never, ever be mixed in with alcohol. And when I asked someone in a local club to get me a Southern Comfort and lemonade, they looked at me funny... and later when I sipped at the drink I immediately realised they had somehow translated 'lemonade' as 'water' ...or at least something that had no fizz whatsoever and was rather bland. :(

I could probably think of a few drinks that shouldn't be mixed with alcohol, now that I think about it...

Shauna
03-07-2013, 12:57 PM
What about whiskey? That is sometimes mixed with water. :3

Calliope
03-07-2013, 01:02 PM

Water should never, ever be mixed in with alcohol. And when I asked someone in a local club to get me a Southern Comfort and lemonade, they looked at me funny... and later when I sipped at the drink I immediately realised they had somehow translated 'lemonade' as 'water' ...or at least something that had no fizz whatsoever and was rather bland. :(

I could probably think of a few drinks that shouldn't be mixed with alcohol, now that I think about it...

I disagree - tonic water or soda water are perfectly valid mixers, for example. You could cut your whiskey or bourbon with tap water, although I wouldn't advise it, I'd just add ice cubes.

Why the hell did you ask for lemonade instead of ginger ale? I too have suffered from being served lemonade instead of fizzy lemonade since emigrating - our country set us up for failure, man.

Anyway, vodka + V8 vegetable juice = valid

vodka + Campbell's tomato soup = not a thing

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
If it can go with tomato juice, it can probably go with tomato soup, too. Someone obviously has to try this... not me, though. I don't like vodka. ;)

Calliope
03-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I guess vodka pasta sauce is a thing, along with bourbon barbecue sauce, whiskey chocolate cake, jello shots, etc. I sense a strangely ambiguous dinner party in the future.

Next query:

STONE SOUP - FOOD, OR FRAUD?

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Drink. ;)

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 01:33 PM
I just had lunch... a jumbo sausage, pasta with pepper cream sauce and thai beef noodle soup as the drink. No other drink. The soup washed it all down just fine... although it certainly lacked in the noodle department!

Soups are generally salty, but that is the fault of chefs, manufacturers and society. You can have relatively little salt in your soup and still have it taste nice. You could probably come up with saltless soup (a quick search says it's easily doable). Also, salt content doesn't automatically make something a food any more than sugar content does.

Calliope
03-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Drink. ;)

HERE'S YOUR DRINK, DANIEL (http://25.media.tumblr.com/917005f12750cc7c3bed559704156de0/tumblr_mht5oljr7a1qexr74o2_r1_500.gif).

Now I really want to make soup, despite swearing off of soup forever last week when the soup I had for lunch leaked all over my bag, resulting in $130 in library fines :(

Also, for the "if it's in a bowl, it's food" argument, what about when you go to those coffeehouses that serve their drinks in giant bowls instead of cups for some reason?

If soup is a drink, can you drink it through a straw?

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Now I really want to make soup, despite swearing off of soup forever last week when the soup I had for lunch leaked all over my bag, resulting in $130 in library fines :(
Wow, that sucks. :( Danielle once bought some milk and it leaked all through her bag, we had to throw the bag out in the end.

Also, for the "if it's in a bowl, it's food" argument, what about when you go to those coffeehouses that serve their drinks in giant bowls instead of cups for some reason?
Not to mention if you put water into a bowl and use a spoon to drink it... well, it's still a drink, isn't it?

If soup is a drink, can you drink it through a straw?
You can. It's certainly easier than drinking a milkshake through a straw. Although with some soups that have chunks of food in them, the chunks of food may jam in the straw, which would ruin the experience.

The soup I had at lunch could definitely be drunk through a straw, it was very thin. The tomato and basil soup I had yesterday would probably have been suited to it, too...

Aulayna
03-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Oh god yet another thread arguing over semantics. WHO'S IDEA OF FUN IS THIS!? :mad2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soup

"Soup is a liquid food"

/thread

Chris
03-07-2013, 01:49 PM
This thread disturbs me.

I don't know where you whiny bitches come from, but here, soup is both. :nonono:

Bubba
03-07-2013, 02:03 PM
What about broth?

EDIT: Extra-cold Macdonalds milkshakes are definitely classed as food

Calliope
03-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Gruel? Liquid aminos?

I dunno. Take food, add enough water and blend until liquidy, strain out the will to live and eat a basket of hot chips instead.

I've reached the point in the "evening" where I am considering drawing up plans to construct some sort of t-shirt-cannon-style device that fires cardboard containers of flaming hot soup, which are consumed by their recipients like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBxQZjQk34U), so I'm going to bed now. Seeya, soupmeisters! May our passion for irrelevant nitpicking never die.

Del Murder
03-07-2013, 02:30 PM
A drink? Are you insane, BoB?

Quindiana Jones
03-07-2013, 02:31 PM
If it primarily sustains you in the way that food sustains you, it's a food. If it primarily sustains you in the way that water sustains you, it's a drink.

Soup is a food.

Pheesh
03-07-2013, 03:03 PM
It's listed in the food section of every restaurant menu, not the drink section. You crazy Kiwi.

Loony BoB
03-07-2013, 04:51 PM
But why, Phil? WHY??? If you get some soup in a cup and you drink it and it has no food chunks, why would you not call it a drink?

Quin: So... back to fruit juices... :D

Chris: Yeah, a lot of people actually said 'both' at work, too, but I find it much more fun to polarise things because of the debate it can bring about. I get strangely amused at how incredibly easy it is to argue that soup should be classed as a drink. The two people who sit opposite me get very wound up at me drinking soup with my lunch. :D

Also, to anyone who mentions 'liquid food' as proof that soup is not a drink...

any liquid that is swallowed to quench thirst, for nourishment, etc.; beverage.
Any liquid, probably including liquid food! :mwahaha:

qwertysaur
03-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Food. :quina:

Psychotic
03-07-2013, 06:42 PM
The poll on this thread is brilliant.

Shauna
03-07-2013, 06:50 PM
The poll on this thread is brilliant.

I know, right?

It almost makes me feel sorry for him. But then I remember he considers soup a drink, and that all disappears.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Food. I have made enough soups to know.

EDIT: Tomato juice and tomato soup are two very different things.

NorthernChaosGod
03-07-2013, 07:31 PM
The things you people argue about...

Denmark
03-07-2013, 08:08 PM
i believe that soup is a food because that's how i was raised

it's just my belief system i don't understand why we're having an argument over what people BELIEVE

and who is RIGHT and who is WRONG

BOB IS A RELIGIOUS FUNDAMENTALIST TRYING TO CONVINCE EVERYONE ELSE TO GO OVER TO HIS WAY OF THINKING

move this thread about religion to eyes on each other please

Shorty
03-07-2013, 08:09 PM
what the fuck towns

Miriel
03-08-2013, 12:10 AM
This thread is actually making me angry. Like, legit makes me want to punch BoB in the face.

Agent Proto
03-08-2013, 12:16 AM
BoB, are you responsible for this? (http://www.issoupadrink.co.uk/)

Shorty
03-08-2013, 12:25 AM
He must be. He must be.

Quindiana Jones
03-08-2013, 01:08 AM
BoB, go ahead and try to survive off of fruit juice drinks. When you die of malnourishment, this problem will have been definitively solved.

Flavoured drinks, regardless of how deliciously chunky they may be, only hydrate us, they do not sustain the human body's other functions. I have no doubt that one - in particular, you - could make a soup in such a way that it could be considered a drink, but at that point it would cease being soup, so... ;)

Miriel
03-08-2013, 01:22 AM
I think this thread warrants a 1 week ban for Loony BoB. :colbert:

Shorty
03-08-2013, 01:24 AM
All in favor?

The Man
03-08-2013, 01:24 AM
Aye.

Dead Kennedys made a song called "Soup Is Good Food". Notice: Not "Soup Is a Good Drink". "Soup Is Good Food". I think that settles it. :monster:

JUpidCc7wwY

Lonny BoB has been wrong about a lot of things before, but he has never been more wrong than he is in this thread.

Pike
03-08-2013, 01:25 AM
NEXT UP ON EYES ON FF:

WATER

IS IT A FOOD, OR A DRINK?

Madame Adequate
03-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Bob what the hell, how can you be THIS WRONG? This is as wrong as Shorty except that EVEN SHE IS CORRECT THIS TIME

Also Bob when you smear yourself in feces and start yelling random insanity about soup being a drink at co-workers, that's not an "argument at work", it's a crazy person. :colbert:

Denmark
03-08-2013, 01:43 AM
i wonder if this could have just been a ploy by this towns guy to get us to all unite?

actually no fuck that burn the heathen

Calliope
03-08-2013, 04:40 AM
You know something Daniel? NO SOUP FOR YOU! Come back, one year!

maybee
03-08-2013, 05:14 AM
​Soup is a food, but it can be drunk like a beverage

/ thread

Shiny
03-08-2013, 05:42 AM
iit: People take soup way too seriously.

I see it as food unless it's just the broth, then it becomes a drink.

Denmark
03-08-2013, 06:18 AM
just the broth

why would you even

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 09:15 AM
BoB, go ahead and try to survive off of fruit juice drinks. When you die of malnourishment, this problem will have been definitively solved.

Flavoured drinks, regardless of how deliciously chunky they may be, only hydrate us, they do not sustain the human body's other functions. I have no doubt that one - in particular, you - could make a soup in such a way that it could be considered a drink, but at that point it would cease being soup, so... ;)
What makes a soup a soup!? :D For me, it's "liquidated food" and since a drink is a consumable liquid, that means that soup is a drink... oh, and I question what you're saying regarding the fruit juice thing. I mean, 100% fruit juice "with bits" is basically the entire inside of the fruit, and acts as both a drink and a food.

Sorta like soup. ;D

I have yet to have anyone tell me a reasonable, logical reason that soup is not a drink. :)

G13
03-08-2013, 09:37 AM
A drink quenches ones thirst. I do not reach for a cool frosty mug of soup after a hard day of working in the sun.

It sounds to me that your logic is lying in the fact that both soup and drinks contain water. Bread and beer both have yeast. Bread must be a drink too. *nod*

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 09:45 AM
A drink quenches ones thirst. I do not reach for a cool frosty mug of soup after a hard day of working in the sun.

It sounds to me that your logic is lying in the fact that both soup and drinks contain water. Bread and beer both have yeast. Bread must be a drink too. *nod*
No, my logic is lying in the fact that they are both consumable liquids. You drink soup, you don't drink bread. xD Although if you liquidate it...

EDIT: And not all drinks quench thirst. Coffee and alcohol dehydrate, not hydrate. And it could be argued that some soups can quench thirst depending on how thin they are. The soup I had yesterday definitely quenched mine! It was really thin. Like, really, really thin. Strong, still, though. They obviously used a lot of beef stock.

The Man
03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Soup is a primarily liquid <span style="font-size: 72px; font-weight: bold; color: #38e897;">food</span>Notice how it doesn't say soup is a primarily written <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #38e897;">drink</span>, because that would be ridiculous. BoB is so smurfing wrong there really needs to be a new word to define how wrong he is.

No one drinks soup. It's eaten with a spoon. Because it's a food. Furthermore nearly all soups have solid additives that one would not find in any self-respecting drink, because soup is not a drink.

BoB is the wrongest wrong in the history of wrongs.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
But it also fits the definition of drink, Manny. :monster: Not all soups have chunks of food, not all soups are "eaten" with a spoon (seriously? eaten? do you eat chunkless soup?).

Denmark
03-08-2013, 10:32 AM
the tomato soup i eat is "chunkless" and i would never say i drink it

it could never quench my thirst

just give it up already

Psychotic
03-08-2013, 10:35 AM
See, if anyone else had made this thread I would applaud what a marvelous troll they had pulled off. As lonny bob is genuinely round-the-bend, loop-de-loop crazy I can only shake my head.

Denmark
03-08-2013, 10:40 AM
i still maintain my point that this is a thread made by a religious fundamentalist trying to force everyone to join their wacky sect and trying to explain why they're right using cyclical explanations while everyone else is arguing with actual science

and idk why this is still in GC not EoEO

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 10:41 AM
But you do drink chunkless soup. It's in the science of drinking! You take a liquid into your mouth, you don't have a need to chew, you swallow. :D

The Man
03-08-2013, 11:00 AM
No one drinks tomato soup. What, you take a frakking straw and drink it, BoB? Or slurp it out of the bowl? You're crazy. The civilised world eats it with a spoon. It's time to put away childish things and join the rest of the world.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 11:02 AM
No one drinks tomato soup. What, you take a frakking straw and drink it, BoB? Or slurp it out of the bowl? You're crazy. The civilised world eats it with a spoon. It's time to put away childish things and join the rest of the world.
The soup at my work allows you to use either a bowl or a cup. I use the cup, because I drink it at my desk, and you shouldn't drink from a bowl when you're at your computer desk at work!

I do sometimes slurp stuff from bowls, but that's mostly when I have noodles in the soup and am done with the noodles. It's efficient consumption.

Drinking from a spoon is still drinking, by the way. If you pour water into a bowl and use a spoon to consume it, you're still drinking. Hence, you drink soup.

The Man
03-08-2013, 11:03 AM
I repeat, you are nuts. The civilised world does not sip soup from a cup.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 11:05 AM
What if there is really good soup and you need to take it to your desk but the only way to take it to your desk is in a cup? Would you miss your opportunity to consume some really good soup!?

Also, I think I edited my post when you were posting: Drinking from a spoon is still drinking.

The Man
03-08-2013, 11:07 AM
No it isn't. You are the only person in the entire world that ever says you drink anything out of a spoon. The proper English usage is eat soup. No one besides you claims to drink soup, because it is impossible. Soup is a food.

And no I would not drink soup out of a cup, because you do not drink food. That's ridiculous. Restaurants have been known to serve soup in cups, but it is still a food when thus served, because one eats it with a spoon, unless one's name is Lonny BoB.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 11:29 AM
No it isn't. You are the only person in the entire world that ever says you drink anything out of a spoon. The proper English usage is eat soup. No one besides you claims to drink soup, because it is impossible. Soup is a food.

And no I would not drink soup out of a cup, because you do not drink food. That's ridiculous. Restaurants have been known to serve soup in cups, but it is still a food when thus served, because one eats it with a spoon, unless one's name is Lonny BoB.
...why the hell would you have soup in a cup and then use a spoon to drink it? That's idiotic. I mean, I can understand if there were chunks and you wanted to eat the chunks, but... thin soup? Really? With a spoon? From a cup?

I mean, I don't even...

The Man
03-08-2013, 11:34 AM
The question you have to ask about yourself about any dish with liquid contents is: Would any self-respecting restaurant serve this without a spoon? If the answer is yes, then you may have yourself a drink. If your answer is no, then you certainly do not. Have you ever known a restaurant to bring you a soup without a spoon? Ever? I've ordered soup from easily dozens and maybe even hundreds of restaurants, and every single one brought me a spoon. That is because soup is a food that you eat with a spoon, regardless of whether it is served in a cup or a bowl. You do not drink soup out of a cup, unless perhaps your name is Daniel Towns, and that would only be because you have no self-respect. Self-respecting people use the spoons that soup is served with to eat the soup, because soup is spoon food.

And now I want a good serving of soup, which I will proceed to eat, with a spoon, because unlike Lonny BoB, I have self-respect.

Shauna
03-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Having soup served in a cup is pretty common here. It's often for lunch on the go or whatever.

Doesn't make it a drink though. xD

Calliope
03-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Do you guys still throw elections? Can there be a "Soup is a Food" party?

The Man
03-08-2013, 11:47 AM
We're actually planning an election right now. If I don't run it myself I'll start one. Though I'm tempted to name it after the Dead Kennedys song I posted above.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 11:47 AM
The question you have to ask about yourself about any dish with liquid contents is: Would any self-respecting restaurant serve this without a spoon?
They always serve soup in bowls because it is considered to be normal to do so, not because it is a requirement. It is also considered to be more respectable because people don't take their restaurant meals 'to go'. For chunkier soups, it may become a requirement, though - it's rather annoying having chunky soup in a cup. But there is nothing wrong with drinking soup from a cup. I expect thousands of people do so every day. In fact, I know hundreds within my building do so every day! The soup here is generally pretty good. :D

If the answer is yes, then you may have yourself a drink. If your answer is no, then you certainly do not. Have you ever known a restaurant to bring you a soup without a spoon? Ever? I've ordered soup from probably hundreds and maybe even thousands of restaurants, and every single one brought me a spoon. That is because soup is a food that you eat with a spoon, regardless of whether it is served in a cup or a bowl.
...that doesn't somehow magically make it not a drink. Just because you can consume it using a spoon doesn't instantly make something a food. That's kind of silly. Just because it's what society and tradition have dictated to be normal doesn't mean that soup is not a consumable liquid (ie, a drink). This is perhaps one of the weirdest definitions I have ever seen for food - "something that you don't drink from a cup in a classy restaurant". You're so weird, Aaron. xD Coming up with these crazy definitions to try and justify something that has been pushed into your head by irrational tradition. I thought you were a man of science. :smash:

You do not drink soup out of a cup, unless perhaps your name is Daniel Towns, and that would only be because you have no self-respect. Self-respecting people use the spoons that soup is served with to eat the soup, because soup is spoon food.
There are about 3,000 to 4,000 people in this building and there is always a queue at the soup area, and the cups are used more often than the bowls. It's not because they aren't self-respecting, it's because they have so much self-respect that they don't give two craps what Mr. Man thinks and would prefer to not be using a bowl & spoon at their work desk.

Having soup served in a cup is pretty common here. It's often for lunch on the go or whatever.
Thankyou, Shauna! Some people are so rude to people just because they do things differently. Next thing you know, The Man will accuse every single person in the world but him of not being self-respecting because they are not him.

Doesn't make it a drink though. xD
Well, no, putting something in a cup doesn't make it a drink. I could put a screwdriver in a cup but it wouldn't be a drink (or food). I could put milk in a bowl (hi, cereal) but that doesn't make it a food, either (the cereal is food, milk itself is still a drink). When I drink the milk using a spoon, I drink it. I don't chew it! I eat the cereal like I eat chunks of food in the soup. But if it's just the leftover milk after I finish the cereal, I'm drinking the milk, not eating it.

Soup is a drink because you drink it. Sometimes it has chunks of food in the soup, but the liquid without chunks of food is still soup - chunks of food without the liquid is not still soup. It's just chunks of food. So the liquid is the soup. The soup is the liquid. Liquid that you consume is a drink. This is all very simple, I'm not sure why you people can't wrap your heads around the idea of soup being a liquid and consumable liquid being a drink.

The Man
03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
They always serve soup in bowls because it is considered to be normal to do so, not because it is a requirement.I said in the very post you quoted that they don't always serve soup in bowls:
Restaurants have been known to serve soup in cups Did you even read my post? They do, however, always serve soup with a spoon. Because it is a food.

It is also considered to be more respectable because people don't take their restaurant meals 'to go'. For chunkier soups, it may become a requirement, though - it's rather annoying having chunky soup in a cup. But there is nothing wrong with drinking soup from a cup. I expect thousands of people do so every day. In fact, I know hundreds within my building do so every day! The soup here is generally pretty good. Then your building is full of weirdos. I know of no one that drinks soup from a cup, because here in America we have self-respect and know that soup is a food for eating with a spoon.

...that doesn't somehow magically make it not a drink. Just because you can consume it using a spoon doesn't instantly make something a food. That's kind of silly.I didn't say that because you can consume something with a spoon makes it a food. I said that because something is consumed with a spoon that makes it a drink. And no matter what you say, soup is traditionally eaten with a spoon. Because it is a food. Yes, you can consume coffee with a spoon if you want. But no one does that, because it is not a food, and one person (or even several dozen people) consuming coffee with a spoon would not make it any less a drink just because of the way that person consumed it. It is the exception, just as the people at your work drinking soup without a spoon is the exception. Soup is, in the overwhelming majority of cases, consumed with a spoon by self-respecting people, because it is a food.

Just because it's what society and tradition have dictated to be normal doesn't mean that soup is not a consumable liquid (ie, a drink). This is perhaps one of the weirdest definitions I have ever seen for food - "something that you don't drink from a cup in a classy restaurant". You're so weird, Aaron. xD Coming up with these crazy definitions to try and justify something that has been pushed into your head by irrational tradition. I thought you were a man of science. Just because something is a liquid does not make it a drink. You're chastising me for having weird definitions and you yourself are using one of the weirdest definitions I have ever heard. If ice cream melts, is it suddenly a drink? Of course it isn't. Ice cream is a food and so is soup.

You want to talk about science? Take a scientific survey of how soup is consumed. I guarantee the overwhelming majority of respondents will say they consume soup with a spoon, like a food. Because, not coincidentally, it is a food. People don't drink soup. They eat it.

There are about 3,000 to 4,000 people in this building and there is always a queue at the soup area, and the cups are used more often than the bowls. It's not because they aren't self-respecting, it's because they have so much self-respect that they don't give two craps what Mr. Man thinks and would prefer to not be using a bowl & spoon at their work desk.What you weirdos in Scotland are forced to do by your work being weird and not giving you proper time to eat soup with a spoon like self-respecting people does not change the way soup is consumed by the overwhelming majority of people who eat it. Which is with a spoon. Whether a dish is served with a cup has nothing to do with whether it's a drink. I've seen solid foods served in cups before. Does that make those foods magically drinks if they're served with cup instead of bowls or plates? Of course it doesn't. Whether something is solid has nothing to do with whether it's a food, and whether something is served in a cup has nothing to do with whether it's a food. Soup is eaten with a spoon. Therefore it is a food.

The simple question you have to ask yourself is: If you were to go out on a date with someone, would you eat this dish with a spoon or would you drink it like a Neanderthal? I know of no self-respecting person who would drink the liquid of their soup as though it were a tea or an alcoholic beverage when in the presence of the opposite sex. It is simply not done. What you weirdos are forced to do by your weird work shifts has nothing to do with whether soup is a food.

Soup is a drink because you drink it. Sometimes it has chunks of food in the soup, but the liquid without chunks of food is still soup - chunks of food without the liquid is not still soup. It's just chunks of food. So the liquid is the soup. The soup is the liquid. Liquid that you consume is a drink. This is all very simple, I'm not sure why you people can't wrap your heads around the idea of soup being a liquid and consumable liquid being a drink.You drink it because you have no self-respect. The overwhelming majority of people (i.e. those who have self-respect) consume it with a spoon regardless of whether it has chunks or not, because it is a food.

By the way, in case I didn't mention this before, you're weird.

Night Fury
03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm so tempted to abuse my power and close this thread.

It's infuriating me greatly.

The Man
03-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Do it. And then ban him for good measure so he can't make a new one.

There are just so many ways Towns is wrong here that I keep thinking of new ones.

Imagine, if you will, that Towns goes out for a meal with five friends. Let's just imagine this scenario:

Server: "Hi, welcome to Derpy's Gourmet Café. May I take your drink order?"
Friend 1: "I'll have water."
Friend 2: "I'll have lemonade."
Friend 3: "I'll have Coca-Cola."
Friend 4: "I'll have the pinot noir."
Friend 5: "I'll have coffee with two sugars and half-and-half."
Towns: "I'll have a nice cup of tomato soup. And you can hold the spoon, thanks."

Which of these people is the server going to look askance at?

Restaurants don't list soup on the drinks menu. Because soup is not a drink. Soup orders are generally taken as appetizers with the rest of the food. Because soup is, in fact, a food.

Night Fury
03-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Stop feeding the troll The_Man!

Or should I say "Stop quenching the troll's thirst!" ;)

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Now Manny, you're repeating yourself. And as for people looking at you weird, I could ask for tomato juice mixed with coca-cola and they'd look at me weird, too. They do that because it's a request they aren't used to, not because it isn't a drink. But yeah, you wouldn't get looked at weird if you asked for soup in a cup over here, and I don't think you'd get looked at weird in NZ either... perhaps, yes, if you asked for this in a high class restaurant, but they would also look at me weird if I asked for tartare sauce on my mashed potatol, cheese on my fish or anything that they are not used to serving.

I mean, think about it. How much liquidated food do you need to mix in with a cup of water before you no longer consider it a drink?

Manny, can you find a definition of 'drink' that clearly excludes soup?

Wikipedia: a kind of liquid which is specifically prepared for human consumption.
Dictionary.com: any liquid that is swallowed to quench thirst, for nourishment, etc.; beverage.
Wiktionary: A served beverage
For reference, 'beverage' is defined as 'a liquid to consume'.

It should be noted that Soup is mentioned on the Wikipedia page for 'Drink' under 'Miscellaneous'. :D

Chris
03-08-2013, 01:16 PM
This is infuriating!

I work in a hospital, and a lot of patients are on a nutritional compact energy drink DIET, and some are on a nutritional soup intake only, which are categorized as being a nutritional drink.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 01:19 PM
This is infuriating!

I work in a hospital, and a lot of patients are on a nutritional compact energy drink DIET, and some are on a nutritional soup intake only, which are categorized as being a nutritional drink.
CATEGORIZED AND EVERYTHING.

Shiny
03-08-2013, 01:56 PM
No one drinks soup. It's eaten with a spoon.
Okay, while I don't agree with BoB I don't agree with this either. A lot of people drink soup out of a canteen in fact when I was child I'd only see children drink soup out of their plastic canteens.

Quindiana Jones
03-08-2013, 02:59 PM
BoB, find me a fruit or vegetable that, when pressed, makes a soup. And tomato soup is not just pressed tomatoes, you bumhole. :p

Point of interest: I drink hot chocolate from a cup via a spoon, because it is so much more delicious that way. BoB is still wrong, though.

Quindiana Jones
03-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Also, soup is not "liquidated food". Christ on a bike, man. Putting trout in a blender and cranking it up to eleven does not make soup, it makes a mess. An inedible mess. The foundation of your wrongness is this incorrect definition, so I request and require that you bring it up to date. :colbert:

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 04:09 PM
The definition is all over the world, buddy. Find me a soup that you can't drink and involves no liquid, and I'll correct you and point out that it isn't a freakin' soup.

As for being hospitalised - funny you mention that, Boobs, since Chris is a nurse and just stated that soup is categorised as a nutritional drink. He also mentions that some are on nutrional soup intake only.

BoB, find me a fruit or vegetable that, when pressed, makes a soup. And tomato soup is not just pressed tomatoes, you bumhole. :p
You're right, you need to add a lot of drinkable items to get soup to a drinkable state. You certainly wouldn't avoid adding these items (such as, you know, water), as then you wouldn't be able to drink it. Because soup is, after all, liquid food which you drink. If there is no liquid to drink then it ceases to be a soup.

Point of interest: I drink hot chocolate from a cup via a spoon, because it is so much more delicious that way.
Exactly.

BoB is still wrong, though.
Yet you just can't prove that soup isn't a drink. :D

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 04:31 PM
By your definition of a drink--something you swallow--window cleaner must be a drink too.

Go drink some, BoB.
No, window cleaner is not something I would define as a consumable item with any nutritional value. That's about as absurd as defining chewing gum as food. Oh, wait. Okay, it's as absurd as defining cardboard as food.

The definitions provided were...

Wikipedia: a kind of liquid which is specifically prepared for human consumption.
Dictionary.com: any liquid that is swallowed to quench thirst, for nourishment, etc.; beverage.
Wiktionary: A served beverage
For reference, 'beverage' is defined as 'a liquid to consume'.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 04:34 PM
:<3:

Madame Adequate
03-08-2013, 04:55 PM
He also mentions that some are on nutrional soup intake only.

Almost as if... it provides sufficient nutrition for people... as though it were food :confused:

I'd like it to be publicly known that if I had the power to do so, I would bestow upon The Man a medal for his tireless argument with the most wrong person in the history of the world.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Drink can be nutritious, too. :)

03-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Can I bring BoB to work with me today? Please! I want him to pose this question to my boss!

Just because people put it in a cup, does not make it a drink. Servers at work do it all the time so they can snack on some. I mean, is a salad less of a salad if it is on a plate than in a bowl? Does it somehow change what it is? No.

The methodologies used to make soup tend to be more involving than that of drinks. Furthermore, drinks do not require seasoning or if they do not to the large extent that soups do. Mostly all soups are cooked at some point, even cold soups will either be cooked then cooled or have ingredients cooked then cooled. Most soups also involve a mirepoix as their basis, or sometimes just onions or onions and celery.

Moreover, if you compare say tomato soup (hot), a raw tomato soup (cold), and tomato juice, you will find a difference. Specifically, the first two are methodologically similar in making, though differ in ingredients (to a small extent) whereas the latter is merely the juice of tomatoes.

Chris
03-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Infact, some of those energy, liquefied, food drinks, have more nutrition in them than a whole regular meal. So, you gain nutrition from them, and they are considered to be both food and a drink.

Shorty
03-08-2013, 07:03 PM
98 posts in this thread, really

how is this still continuing

Aaron for EoFF President 2013

Madame Adequate
03-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Yes, they can. They are not, however, sufficient to sustain someone. We need food for that.

Chris
03-08-2013, 07:35 PM

Yes, they can. They are not, however, sufficient to sustain someone. We need food for that.
Where do you people get this idea from? This is absolutely not true. Like I said, some of those compact energy substitutions, actually have more nutrition in them than a whole regular meal. :(

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Chris is my main man. High five, Chris, we have the facts behind us <3

Madame Adequate
03-08-2013, 08:46 PM
You go right ahead and drink nothing except those energy drinks for a couple months and we'll see how you're doing.

Agent Proto
03-08-2013, 08:47 PM
BoB, just give up.

http://i.imgur.com/ARzmj4q.png

Mikztsu
03-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Just to make BoB happy, I vote for drink. What the hell is wrong with you, though.

Chris
03-08-2013, 08:51 PM
You BITCHES cannot argue FACTS! YOU give up! You simply cannot! :whimper:

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Vote in the poll, Chris. Fight the conformists!

Madame Adequate
03-08-2013, 09:02 PM
"Conformists" isn't an insult when one is conforming to basic facts of reality :colbert:

BatChao
03-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Soup is a food because its main purpose is to fill you with nourishment instead of quench your thirst. Drinks are meant to quench your thirst. However, one does not eat soup, but instead drinks it. BUT one DOES EAT chilli, even though chilli is often placed alongside soup. Chilli is not a soup, though.

The Man
03-08-2013, 09:04 PM
"Conformists" isn't an insult when one is conforming to basic facts of reality :colbert:Jump off the cliff! Don't be a conformist to that pesky law of gravity! See what happens! Maybe you'll fly!

Pike
03-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Never Forget

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 09:15 PM
"Conformists" isn't an insult when one is conforming to basic facts of reality :colbert:Jump off the cliff! Don't be a conformist to that pesky law of gravity! See what happens! Maybe you'll fly!
Only Chris and I have been spouting facts in this thread. The rest of you lot are definitely conforming to traditions that have no logic behind them. You are the ones saying the world is flat, Chris and I are the ones saying the world is round! We are making great strides towards the future for humanity, while you cling to the past.

Mikztsu
03-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Never Forget

Actually it's 2 on the drink. I voted 15 minutes ago.

Chris
03-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Chris = facts = truth = valor = dignity

I am so sorry that so many of you lack many of the above. :(

The Man
03-08-2013, 09:24 PM
By the way, since BoB cited Wikipedia for the definition of "drink", I feel like pointing out that he didn't even cite the entire paragraph he quoted.

It can be divided into various groups such as plain water, alcohol, non alcoholic drinks, soft drinks (carbonated drinks), fruit or vegetable juices and hot drinks. Note what category is missing here: Soup. Soup is, however, found on the side dish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_dish) page, which says:

A side dish, sometimes referred to as a side order, side item, or simply a side, is a <span style="color: #38e897; font-weight: bold; font-size: 36px;">food</span> item that accompanies the entrée or main course at a meal. Notice what is found on this page:

Antipasto
Asparagus
Baked beans
Baked potatoes
Broccoli
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Coleslaw
Dinner rolls or other breads
French fries or steak fries
Green beans
Greens
Macaroni and cheese
Macaroni salad
Mashed potatoes
Mushrooms
Pasta salad
Potato salad
Salad (often a "side" salad)
<span style="color: #38e897; font-weight: bold; font-size: 36px;">Soups</span>
Squash

I can't help it that some of you are completely and utterly objectively wrong. There is no hope for you people. The rest of us clearly have the sense to realise that soup is not a drink.

Chris
03-08-2013, 09:30 PM
You... are... WRONG. :crying:

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Manny, look further down the Drink page on Wikipedia, perhaps even do Ctrl+F and search for soup. :D

Shorty
03-08-2013, 10:02 PM
stop calling him manny goddamnit manny has not posted in this thread

The Man
03-08-2013, 10:08 PM
If you click on the link, as pointed out twice before, it says:

Soup is a primarily liquid <span style="color: #38e897; font-weight: bold; font-size: 36px;">food</span>
Nothing in there about it possibly being defined as a drink under certain circumstances. One case of Wikipedia claiming that it "may be defined as either food or drink" compared to two cases of it unambiguously calling soup a food is not helping your case. In fact the word "drink" does not appear even once in the soup article. Because it is unambiguously not a drink.

I think I will take the word of food service industry professionals over lonny bob. And people who work in hospitals. Everyone knows hospital food isn't real food.

Loony BoB
03-08-2013, 10:25 PM
If you click on the link, as pointed out twice before, it says:

Soup is a primarily liquid <span style="color: #38e897; font-weight: bold; font-size: 36px;">food</span>
Nothing in there about it possibly being defined as a drink under certain circumstances. One case of Wikipedia claiming that it "may be defined as either food or drink" compared to two cases of it unambiguously calling soup a food is not helping your case. In fact the word "drink" does not appear even once in the soup article. Because it is unambiguously not a drink.

I think I will take the word of food service industry professionals over lonny bob. And people who work in hospitals. Everyone knows hospital food isn't real food.
Soup is liquid food, yes. Water is melted ice and toast is cooked bread and adults are grown babies.

:D

Chris
03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
I am so offended by this entire conspiracy! :stare:

Pike
03-08-2013, 11:50 PM

I am polling Tumblr. The number is rising every time I go back.

Madame Adequate
03-09-2013, 12:03 AM
The poll has been... corrected.

Chris
03-09-2013, 12:06 AM
This is cyber bullying. :(

The Man
03-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Pointing out how wrong you and lonny are is not cyber-bullying, sry.

Also now I kind of wish I had a tumblr so I could like and reblog Pike's entry. Not enough to actually go through the trouble of making one though.

Jowy
03-09-2013, 02:04 AM
if it were a drink, it would be stocked accordingly with other beverages at your local grocer.

but it isn't.

03-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Only Chris and I have been spouting facts in this thread. The rest of you lot are definitely conforming to traditions that have no logic behind them. You are the ones saying the world is flat, Chris and I are the ones saying the world is round! We are making great strides towards the future for humanity, while you cling to the past.

I cook for a living. At one point, a station I was working at I was responsible for making soup. That means I made about 80 litres of soup a week. Not to mention in the summer running hot and cold soups. I worked that station consistently for two years and I have had to make soups at other jobs too, but not to the degree that I did on that station at my current job. I think that making over 8000 litres of soups qualifies me to talk about soups.

NorthernChaosGod
03-09-2013, 07:16 AM
Why the hell is this thread still going?

Where do you people get this idea from? This is absolutely not true. Like I said, some of those compact energy substitutions, actually have more nutrition in them than a whole regular meal. :(

What kind of shitty meals do you eat?

Del Murder
03-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Threads coming soon from the mind of Loony BoB:

Are computers machines or man?
Is an apple a fruit or a meat?
Is Final Fantasy a video game or a board game?
Are cats animals or vegetables?
Do bears crap in the woods or do they use the pay toilet?
Is EoFF a gaming site or a dating site?

Denmark
03-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Threads coming soon from the mind of Loony BoB:

Is EoFF a gaming site or a dating site?

well it depends on who you ask, this might actually be valid

Del Murder
03-09-2013, 08:01 AM
There's only one way to find out! Get to it BoB!

qwertysaur
03-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Sorry Chris, but you are 100% wrong on this one.

You are not going to get all your essential amino acids, essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals as well as enough carbohydrates to meet all your bodies needs on pills and supplements alone. It's even in their name, they supplement your intake from your food, not replace it. Remember that Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluble and must be with some other fats to be readily absorbed, while the B vitamins and C are not stored by the body so you need to constantly take them.

Chris
03-09-2013, 12:37 PM
No, u

We have soups that are specifically enriched with everything a patient needs to be sustained, so I am absolutely NOT WRONG. These soups are for patients only, as they are high in calories, carbs, vitamins and so on. And because so many of the patients who are on this diet cannot eat it, they drink it through special cups - thus making it both FOOD and DRINK.

:cool:

Agent Proto
03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
You said that its both food AND drink. This thread specificly asks if its one or the other. When you say both, you are basically agreeing that soup is a food which you can also drink. Not just a drink like BoB is saying.

Chris
03-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I have always argued that it was both! But the poll didn't have that option, so I sided with Bob, 'cause you know, had to.

Rantz
03-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Soup can pose as a drink when presented and imbibed as one, and fulfilling certain requirements. However, it is clearly primarily a food, and it is still a food even when it is a drink. This stuff about drinking from a spoon is too insane to even address.

NorthernChaosGod
03-10-2013, 03:19 AM
No, u

We have soups that are specifically enriched with everything a patient needs to be sustained, so I am absolutely NOT WRONG. These soups are for patients only, as they are high in calories, carbs, vitamins and so on. And because so many of the patients who are on this diet cannot eat it, they drink it through special cups - thus making it both FOOD and DRINK.

:cool:

I demand some of this soup.

Raistlin
03-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Not since the "Picard or Kirk?" thread has a poll been so (correctly) one-sided. If it were anyone else except for Loony "is tomato a fruit or a vegetable?" BooB, I would say he was trolling.

Loony BoB
03-10-2013, 02:00 PM
soup is a food which you can also drink. Not just a drink like BoB is saying.
Woah, woah, woah. When did I say soup wasn't a food? On at least two occasions in this thread I've said it was both. :D And on at least one occasion I've said I just split the poll to make the debate more interesting, and on at least one occasion I have said I've thoroughly enjoyed winding people up over this. It's not my fault that despite KNOWING that I enjoy winding you all up over this that you insist on trying to convince me that soup is not a drink. :D

Also, I'm assuming that you people saying "Bob" are talking about TSoL because my username is most definitely BoB, and his real name is most definitely Bobby, which Bob is short for. >=P Speaking of TSoL, you mention that you made soup in litres... that's weird, that's how drinks are measured. :p As for qwerty, I'm pretty sure that someone with the evidence backing him up such as being a nurse who deals with specific diets has all the proof he needs that soup can sustain someone. I mean, come on - people have permanently lost the ability to chew and carried on without any solid foods at all for the rest of their lives.

Psychotic
03-10-2013, 02:13 PM
What if you freeze the soup and consume it as a solid? What is it then? Oh, and what if you superheat the soup so that it's soup gas? Enquiring minds want to know.

Loony BoB
03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
What if you freeze the soup and consume it as a solid? What is it then? Oh, and what if you superheat the soup so that it's soup gas? Enquiring minds want to know.
If it's solid, it's obviously food. And not really soup anymore. It's frozen soup, which I guess doesn't really have a name aside from 'frozen soup'.

I have no idea what you would call it as a gas. Just... gas, I guess? You certainly don't eat or drink gas... you inhale it. o_x

Psychotic
03-10-2013, 02:18 PM
So soup is also an inhalant in addition to being food! Excellent! Now we're getting somewhere. Now what if you're consuming the soup in zero gravity? And what if it's in a vacuum?

Loony BoB
03-10-2013, 02:21 PM
I don't have a huge amount of knowledge/experience on consumption within zero gravity / a vacuum. :( I'm sorry, Psychotic. I've let you down...

Psychotic
03-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Not to worry! I have plenty more questions!

Right, spaghetti bolognese. That comprises of spaghetti, sauce, and meatballs. Spaghetti bolognese - as a sum of the component parts - is a food. Spaghetti and meatballs are foods. But what is the sauce? Is it a food or a drink? I must know!

Loony BoB
03-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Sauce is a condiment, isn't it?

Psychotic
03-10-2013, 04:38 PM
What's the difference between a sauce and a soup?

And we all know that food and drink both go into your oesophagus, and if they go into your trachea you are in trouble and will DIE. So, if soup got into your trachea, would a coroner say that you choked or drowned?

Loony BoB
03-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Depends on wether it was a chunk of food in the soup that choked you or the soup that drowned you. Two different things. One is the result of something jamming your trachea and stopping you from being able to breathe, the other is a complete inability to breathe due to being submerged and effectively suffocated by a lack of air and eventually leading to you taking liquid into your lungs... I think.

Sauces are probably like soups, they are liquid food and could be described as a drink if you liked to drink things that are completely and utterly gross when consumed on their own. Sadly, I know of a couple of people that would probably drink sauces... :stare: Condiments should remain condiments.

Parker
03-10-2013, 04:49 PM
I drank gravy once or twice

03-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Also, I'm assuming that you people saying "Bob" are talking about TSoL because my username is most definitely BoB, and his real name is most definitely Bobby, which Bob is short for. >=P Speaking of TSoL, you mention that you made soup in litres... that's weird, that's how drinks are measured. :p As for qwerty, I'm pretty sure that someone with the evidence backing him up such as being a nurse who deals with specific diets has all the proof he needs that soup can sustain someone. I mean, come on - people have permanently lost the ability to chew and carried on without any solid foods at all for the rest of their lives.

Because you measure liquids by volume not by mass and we usually store them in 16-20 litre buckets? I do not think anyone is arguing soup is a liquid. But being a liquid, or primarily a liquid, does not make it a drink. Unless you consider solutions of HCl and Bleach drinks but then you're insane or having a death wish.

I think BoB is just trying to troll the French, or at least French cuisine. Trying to return the the times of the Hundred Years' War. I know what you are up to!

Loony BoB
03-10-2013, 08:53 PM
I didn't know you were French. :D

But being a liquid, or primarily a liquid, does not make it a drink. Unless you consider solutions of HCl and Bleach drinks but then you're insane or having a death wish.
HCl and bleach are not designed for human consumption and therefore are not a drink. Mentioned this somewhere before - it's like saying a kitchen sponge is food because it's solid and can be consumed. That doesn't mean it should be consumed in any way whatsoever, and therefore is not food whatsoever.

EDIT: I don't get the purpose behind you editing the poll, MILF. :p Everyone who clicks through to see who voted can see you're messing with it. ;) Fixed again. >=]

03-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Quarter, actually. Grandmother was Quebecois. But I was more going for the French as in French cuisine which underlines much of our understanding of food. :p

One could argue that HCl is design for human consumption insofar as it is found in the stomach and is used in our consumption of food. But then then the counterargument would be equally one of semantics. More to the point, I used exaggerated examples to point out the fact that we use litres to measure liquids yet being a liquid is not a sufficient condition for something to be a drink, only a necessary one.

Moreover, depending on your definition of "designed for human consumption", you could argue that the milk of other mammals are not designed for human consumption, yet we still consume them. Therein there is an argument to say that milk, specifically cow's milk, is not a drink. Also, it points to the interesting paradox that as a species we are more comfortable with consuming the milk of another animal than our own. Given the issue around breastfeeding in public as well as the idea of human milk products being marketable.

Raistlin
03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Depends on wether it was a chunk of food in the soup that choked you or the soup that drowned you. Two different things. One is the result of something jamming your trachea and stopping you from being able to breathe, the other is a complete inability to breathe due to being submerged and effectively suffocated by a lack of air and eventually leading to you taking liquid into your lungs... I think.

Sauces are probably like soups, they are liquid food and could be described as a drink if you liked to drink things that are completely and utterly gross when consumed on their own. Sadly, I know of a couple of people that would probably drink sauces... :stare: Condiments should remain condiments.

Daniel, you are treading dangerously close to an Iceglow-level of pulling bullshit out of your ass.

Del Murder
03-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Wait a minute...what if he is Iceglow?

Psychotic
03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
I've met them both and they are both tiny little men of about five foot seven. They also both have ridiculous accents that I had trouble believing were real. What if...?

Del Murder
03-10-2013, 10:19 PM
This may be bigger than we all thought.

03-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Is this all some elaborate April Fool's prank happening?

Loony BoB
03-10-2013, 10:53 PM
5'8" bitch :cry:

Quarter, actually. Grandmother was Quebecois. But I was more going for the French as in French cuisine which underlines much of our understanding of food. :p

One could argue that HCl is design for human consumption insofar as it is found in the stomach and is used in our consumption of food. But then then the counterargument would be equally one of semantics. More to the point, I used exaggerated examples to point out the fact that we use litres to measure liquids yet being a liquid is not a sufficient condition for something to be a drink, only a necessary one.

Moreover, depending on your definition of "designed for human consumption", you could argue that the milk of other mammals are not designed for human consumption, yet we still consume them. Therein there is an argument to say that milk, specifically cow's milk, is not a drink. Also, it points to the interesting paradox that as a species we are more comfortable with consuming the milk of another animal than our own. Given the issue around breastfeeding in public as well as the idea of human milk products being marketable.
Fine. SAFE for human consumption, you pedant. xD

qwertysaur
03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
As for qwerty, I'm pretty sure that someone with the evidence backing him up such as being a nurse who deals with specific diets has all the proof he needs that soup can sustain someone. I mean, come on - people have permanently lost the ability to chew and carried on without any solid foods at all for the rest of their lives.
I never said that you couldn't live off of soup. I said you could not live off of supplements alone. Two completely different things. :p

Dr Unne
03-11-2013, 07:47 PM
There are cultures where people pick up their bowl and drink their soup from it. SoupTale: ASIAN SOUP ETIQUETTE (http://www.soupsong.com/basetiqu.html)

I don't speak Cantonese, but the internets say "drinking soup" is a thing people say in Cantonese, rather than "eating soup". Drink instead of eat soup? - Grammar, Sentence Structures and Patterns - Chinese-forums.com (http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/23250-drink-instead-of-eat-soup/)

EDIT: Also see this image from the front page of Lipton's CUP-A-SOUP website that shows a girl drinking soup out of a bowl. http://www.makinglifebetter.com/microsite/detail/255843/lipton-cup-a-soup