PDA

View Full Version : Mods (PC version)

Madame Adequate
03-07-2013, 05:39 PM
So after hankering for a good old play through of FF7 I ended up getting the PC re-release so I can play it without having to turn all the way around in my chair to use my TV!

I also got it because it's possible to play with mods, which believe it or not has been a long-standing thing in the PC scene. It apparently took them years to figure out how the game works and build the tools needed, but there are quite a few on offer nowadays; many are located are this forum: Qhimm.com Forums - Index (http://forums.qhimm.com/)

I'm using "gjoerulv's Hardcore mod" and oh boy the name isn't kidding around. I got a game over before reaching the first save point in the reactor twice, then I had to grind for 45 minutes to beat the Guard Scorpion. It sure is a thing. I've broken this game in half before and now it's like it's all new and I just love it.

Have you played FF7 with mods before? Might you do so in the future?

Mirage
03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Idk, difficulty through grinding seems like a pretty cheap way to add difficulty to me.

Are there mods that don't make enemies extremely much higher level, but instead make their attack patterns more complex, or "intelligent"?

Madame Adequate
03-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah that's what this is doing. I had to grind for items rather than levels, so that I had what I needed by way of potions and Bolt Plumes to take on the Guard Scorpion. Similarly when I got to Airbuster I had to actually make sure to only attack him in the back, to defend and heal carefully, and so on.

Skyblade
03-10-2013, 07:12 AM
I hope they don't make the Guard Scorpion intelligent. Hmm, if I just never lower my tail, they'll always eat a couple hundred points of damage whenever they attack...

Forsaken Lover
03-10-2013, 07:38 AM
The only mods I was interested in were the graphic overhaul mods. You can give all the characters actual realistic limbs and you can even mod Cloud to look like AC Cloud with a sword on his back. It looked really cool.

Of course I later learned that I would also have to use the music replacement mod because the PC version come saddled with some crappy midi version of the OST.

Also I never got my AC Cloud to work right. His head wouldn't show up for some reason and I just stopped caring.

PC games are a pain.

Sephex
03-10-2013, 06:35 PM
I tried to do this for the recent PC release, but it did not work out for me. :( I followed the instructions too.

Mercen-X
03-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Most PC versions of console games sound like pure hassle to me.

Madame Adequate
03-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Even if that were true it'd be worth it to play FF7 and actually be challenged again.