PDA

View Full Version : Square-Enix is going to focus on Hardcore Gamers in 2013

Wolf Kanno
03-08-2013, 03:51 AM
A translated piece of text from Takehiro Ando, the head of the mobile division for Square-Enix says that SE is going to focus more on titles for Hardcore gamers than the social titles it has been releasing lately (http://gamingbolt.com/square-enix-wont-release-social-games-focusing-on-hardcore-gamers-in-2013). Recent announcements for a possible Thief reboot and a new Deus Ex title may be part of this new strategy but this year will also see FFXIV: A Realm Reborn get released and Lightning Returns.

It will be interesting to watch in the coming months for any new surprises such as revelations for the announced Final Fantasy title for PS4 and as many fans still hope, more info on the MIA Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Bolivar
03-08-2013, 04:34 AM
Very good strategy. Everyone and their grandmother are making bite-sized social games, I can find a few dozen down the street right now if I had to.

But when Square puts their mind to it and makes an ambitious project, no one in the industry can compete with them.

Skyblade
03-08-2013, 04:45 AM
Oh, yay. This coming from the head of their mobile department. I can't wait to see what a hardcore game looks like when put on an inferior processor with less resources and a controller scheme that makes the Kinect look brilliant.

Give me this statement from someone completely unassociated with their horrible cell phone games and I'll listen.

Del Murder
03-08-2013, 04:45 AM
It should be amusing to see what SE's definition of 'hardcore gamer' is and their speculation of what they want.

Spooniest
03-08-2013, 05:04 AM
I find it most encouraging that it's coming from the head of their mobile department, because that means the mobile games might be of better quality.

I just played Batman for the Gameboy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sBPnoMkHc) for the first time. This is a first-generation Gameboy game. The controls are tight, the powerups are cool and the game is well-balanced and designed. Batman, of course, looks adorable in chibi form, but you stop noticing once you get down to playing the game itself.

You can make a good game on a portable device, it just takes work.

NeoCracker
03-08-2013, 05:22 AM
I am both excited for this and prepared for disappointment.

maybee
03-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Cooooomeee oooooon New Chrono Trigger game !
:plumcheer:

Skyblade
03-08-2013, 05:51 AM
I find it most encouraging that it's coming from the head of their mobile department, because that means the mobile games might be of better quality.

I just played Batman for the Gameboy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sBPnoMkHc) for the first time. This is a first-generation Gameboy game. The controls are tight, the powerups are cool and the game is well-balanced and designed. Batman, of course, looks adorable in chibi form, but you stop noticing once you get down to playing the game itself.

You can make a good game on a portable device, it just takes work.

Oh, on a portable device, absolutely, most of my gaming is handheld these days.

Just not on a cellphone, which has been the entire Square Enix portable lineup (except for Type-0, which they never ported) for years.

Gamblet
03-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Cooooomeee oooooon New Chrono Trigger game !
:plumcheer:

CT with updated graphics would be awesome!

Cloudane
03-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Oh please tell me this is true and they know what they're talking about! I am so insanely sick of churned-out social/indie crap that costs (and is worth) 99p being shoveled onto tablets and phones and being told "it's the future!"

Gimme the PS4, a gamepad and some proper, energy-sapping/planet-killing antisocial gaming. And please keep the PC desktop alive, too. Kthx!

Laddy
03-08-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic.

Elly
03-09-2013, 12:18 PM
i'm gonna keep my hopes up to an extent... but, i'm praying their idea of Hardcore Gamers isn't synonymous with Smartphone Market, or worse Browser Gamer...

DMKA
03-09-2013, 04:18 PM
It's about time. I've grown quite tired of "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT COMING UP!" only to turn out to be a mobile port or browser game.

Here's hoping they focus their efforts on home console games for awhile.

Pike
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Unless they start making grand strategy and roguelikes I don't buy it. I'm very picky about the term "hardcore" :colbert:

DMKA
03-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Unless they start making grand strategy and roguelikes I don't buy it. I'm very picky about the term "hardcore" :colbert:

Yeah, it's pretty vague, seeing as everyone seems to have very different definitions of both a "hardcore" and "casual" gamer these days.

Laddy
03-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Technically they already made a roguelike. Several. The Torneko and some of the Chocobo Dungeon games.

Pike
03-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Technically they already made a roguelike. Several. The Torneko and some of the Chocobo Dungeon games.

I haven't played those. Permadeath and all? Because I'll be super impressed in that case.

Laddy
03-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Don't know; never played 'em.

Bolivar
03-09-2013, 08:40 PM
I think so actually.

Quindiana Jones
03-15-2013, 05:18 AM
I, like Del, am also looking forward to what Square-Enix think these words mean.