PDA

View Full Version : International Women's Day!

Night Fury
03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
It's IWD! :)

To celebrate, let's talk about women who have inspired us! They can be people you know or even a celebrity if you'd like!

A woman who has inspired me was my A Level Philosophy teacher. When I started college I was painfully shy and she gave me so many oppurtunites to shine and stand out, she pulled me out of my shell and really helped me to be who I am today. She's a wonderful, spirited person who see's the best in everyone and looks out for everyone too.

I am also inspired by Ingrid Michaelson, who is an amazing, amazing musician! She writes so many nice lyrics that I just feel I can relate to on so many levels.

oOl9SCgKrSg

And finally, I bloody adore Yvonne Strahovski. I loved her in Chuck as Sarah Walker, and I just think she's such a nice, down to earth girl who is both beautiful and smart. I love her!

Jinx
03-08-2013, 02:44 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/grasshopperkel/white_Betty.jpg

Quindiana Jones
03-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Don't forget, tomorrow is International Arthur Day! 09/03/2013 woop woooooop!

Rosa Parks inspired me to not give up my seat on the bus to god-damn anyone. :colbert:

Night Fury
03-08-2013, 02:53 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/grasshopperkel/white_Betty.jpg

That's Betty White, right?

"To the window....! to the wall...!"

:lol:

Jinx
03-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Yes, that is Betty White. And if anyone does not goddamn love her, there is something wrong with them.

Night Fury
03-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Yes, that is Betty White. And if anyone does not goddamn love her, there is something wrong with them.

I love Betty White, she's fantastic.

Laddy
03-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Damn straight.

My mom inspires me. Because I am a momma's boy. :colbert:

Mikztsu
03-08-2013, 08:30 PM
In Finland, woman's 1€ is 80 cents. Converting this theory on this day - hope you enjoyed your 19 hours and 12 minutes. From bottom of my heart. :)

Kalen
03-08-2013, 08:52 PM
I am actually going to a strip club tonight. Just by chance that it fell on the most sacred of days.

Rantz
03-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Gotta give a shoutout to Amy Poehler and Tina Fey for their outstanding performances in the comedy department where they have really broken the mould and made a difference in how female comedians are perceived.

Miriel
03-08-2013, 10:03 PM
I was going to say Amy Poehler! I am in love with her. I think she is an amazing, smart, hilarious and talented woman. And the very best example of a feminist that I know, both in real life and as her character of Leslie Knope.

She runs a Youtube Channel called Smart Girls: The Smart Girls Channel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/smartgirls)

AMAZING advice in her "Ask Amy" segments. She's really reaffirmed to me the importance of women supporting other women. I love her and I want to be her best friend.

I'm constantly being inspired by great women. ALL the time. Just recently I've been inspired by Fawzia Koofi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawzia_Koofi) and Malala Yousafzai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malala_Yousafzai).

Also, my Mom. Who left South Korea after the police tried to arrest her for opposing and protesting the military dictatorship in the 1980s. She's traveled the world, created and operated successful businesses, and generally shown me how capable a woman can be beyond the gendered norms.

fire_of_avalon
03-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Dorothy Allison. To have lived the life she did, to bear such awful scars from it, the fact that she writes with such beauty and hope is astounding.

Shorty
03-08-2013, 10:48 PM
I also came here to list Tina Fey and Amy Poehler! Two such wonderful ladies with so many accomplishments under their belts, they make it impossible to ignore how far feminism has come these days.

Jenny Lewis is an inspiration to my creativity.

Bunny
03-09-2013, 12:27 AM
What about International Men's Day? This trout be sexist, yo.

My mother, my grandmother, and my "aunt" are perhaps the biggest female role models, as well as just general role models, in my life. My mother raised me and both of my brothers as a single mother and did a wonderful job doing so. Likewise, my grandmother and my "aunt" (who is really just a close family friend, but has been thought of as family since I was in the fourth grade) took over for my mother after she passed away. My grandmother, particularly, came out of retirement so she could support the three of us through high school and only just retired for a second time (10+ years after coming out the first time).

I don't really know about famous women inspiring me though. There are certainly enough of them that have done good things and most of them have been mentioned already.

Aulayna
03-09-2013, 03:19 AM

The first that came to mind sports women which is probably due to recently reading related books:

Jessica Ennis - her autobiography was really inspiring following all the turmoil she went through as a child due to being mixed race, to her severe foot injury just before Beijing 2008 which meant she had to pull out. How she became incredibly depressed as a result of that and then how show bounced back and went on to win gold at London 2012. Even just the little things like the trout she got for being small or not conventionally pretty.

Laura Trott - Her personality is so infectiously bubbly and down to earth for someone who became a world champion before the age of 20 and a double gold medalist. She seems so grounded and a real inspiration to younger people to go out and do something with their lives rather than hang around on street corners etc.

Although there's also...

Jade Raymond. One of the original brains behind the Assassin's Creed series who went on to become the Managing Director of Ubisoft Toronto. She was also on the receiving end of a disgusting amount of flak from the gaming community when she was first associated with Assassin's Creed yet kept on going. It's great to see such a strong female figurehead in the industry.

And of course...

Amy Acker - For no other reason than she just seems like a genuinely nice person. Possibly because I have a total girl crush on her too

Formalhaut
03-09-2013, 03:21 AM
I was going to do something on IWD, but then I thought it best to leave it, be slightly odd for a guy to bring up IWD. :p

As for role models who've inspired me, I don't really have any one person. I just take elements from a myriad of different people. Like "niceness", or "humility". And not just from women, men, even animals.

Pheesh
03-09-2013, 05:25 AM
Damn straight.

NorthernChaosGod
03-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Damn straight.

Shiny
03-10-2013, 03:50 AM
http://mayaangelou.com/uploads/photos/300px_maya_angelou.jpg

Jinx
03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
http://mayaangelou.com/uploads/photos/300px_maya_angelou.jpg

All I know is that this picture is awesome, because that puppet looks so offended.

maybee
03-11-2013, 12:51 AM