PDA

View Full Version : The Sigil and Crest drama

Crop
03-10-2013, 11:56 PM
I've recently been playing through FFX again, and was dreading doing the big three - Chocobo Racing, Butterfly Catching, and Lightning Dodge as I had never really tried any of them.

Lo and behold it only took me two tries for the Chocobo Race, and not many more for the Butterfly Catching! I have the Lightning Dodge next, and I can imagine that being the most difficult.

Anyone else found these deceptively easy? Or have all three got your number?

Sephiroth
03-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Keep one eye closed so you don't need to blink too much. Pause after dodging every 10-20 lightning bolts (and press Pause right after the jumping so you don't pause while another lightning strikes) and stand in the corner between the Cactuar Rock and the wall where you could find Wakka's ball.

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/5805/cetrafinalfantasyx.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/4623/cetrafinalfantasyx1.jpg

Cloudane
03-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Lucky you. It took me days of the chocobo racing and I never even bothered with the butterfly catching after going at it for a few hours.

I found the lightning dodging alright though. There's a pattern to it if you're running around that little crater where it's obvious the lightning has struck harder, and you can get through it quickly enough there.

Pete for President
03-11-2013, 08:16 AM
There is no drama. People whine about it, but it really isn't too hard.

I found Butterfly Catching the hardest of the three, but a good hour of trial and error was enough.

The lightning dodging only takes 15 - 20 minutes when dodging without pauses. So that too is very plausible to get within an hour, even including failed attempts.

And Chocobo Racing is just too often falsely accused of being too hard. Using light taps on the analogue stick to steer is the key.

Skyblade
03-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Butterfly Catching only took me three tries, once I discovered the trick.

Navigate via the minimap, not the main screen.

The camera in the Macalania woods hates you, and is responsible for most of the screwups. You can't tell where precisely you are on the trail, or where the butterflies are, since it is so zoomed back and at such a low angle. The minimap is much nicer to you (since it shows exactly where on the path you are), especially if you get a map of the butterfly locations to know exactly where to avoid.

NeoCracker
03-16-2013, 02:43 AM
I tried these things once then stopped giving a fuck. They just aren't fun, and the rewards are pointless unless you are either a completionist, or are beating the international version or some shit.

Heath
03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
I honestly never had a problem with the chocobo racing (it was only after I'd done it and came to these very forums I saw what the fuss was about). Lightning dodging however, I tried a couple of times before deciding there were better, less tedious ways to waste my life playing computer games. ;)