PDA

View Full Version : So many emails, so little time.

Pheesh
03-11-2013, 01:31 PM
768 unread emails in my inbox. Now, normally I keep my inboxes very clean and will mark a lot of posts as read even if I don't read them, but 768 unread emails is to the point where I would have to actually dedicate time to bring it back to having no unread emails. I'll probably end up doing it though cause it makes me cringe whenever I look at it.

What are you guys like with your emails? Do you just let it build up in there or do you go through and mark everything as read? Or do you, god forbid, actually read every email that you receive?

blackmage_nuke
03-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I have this self destructive mentality where i believe if I dont read the emails the bad news it contains doesnt happen

Shauna
03-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I check my emails at least once a day and do not let it get out of control. I don't read every email, though. The amount of crap I get through outweighs the important stuff. It comes down to delete the crap I don't care about, and organising important emails away. :3

CimminyCricket
03-11-2013, 01:35 PM
I have several email addresses and I treat each one differently. I have my 'professional' email that I keep cleaned up, I have my forum/game email since xbox likes to send out an email every two hours and then I have the two emails I've had since high school that I keep just because. With the exception of my 'professional' email, they're all super dirty and cluttered.

Chris
03-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I just can't... just can't. So many mails. :|

Pheesh
03-11-2013, 01:38 PM
I have also kept basically every email I've received on my current email. That's 10 year's worth of emails >_<

Cloudane
03-11-2013, 02:04 PM
I have a massive cleanup around once every 1-3 years where I sort everything out, delete all the rubbish, and get to inbox zero. Then I promise myself I'll keep on top of it so I don't have to go through such a tedious exercise again..

.. it always gets out of hand about a month later.

Parker
03-11-2013, 02:10 PM
I have about 16,000 unread emails between two accounts. They're all newsletters and stuff. I'm just too lazy to mark as read or unsubscribe.

Interestingly, my university email account is kept clean, and it bugs me when fellow students don't read thier emails :D

Bubba
03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
I would say about 95% of the emails I receive are absolute garbage and can be instantly deleated. I do try and keep on top of them but I'm currently at around 1000 emails.

5%
Family/band members

95%
Groupon offers
Flight deals
Hotel Deals
Play.com deals
Online betting
Short-term loan offers
Credit card offers
Cash into Gold deals
Bar offers
Restaurant offers
Male impotency solutions
Female impotency soloutions
RSPCA
Leg waxing treatments
Mental Health questionnaires
Midget wrestling tournament application forms

Faris
03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
I have constant access to my email accounts through my phone so I usually delete or reply to them really fast.

Loony BoB
03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I check my inbox regularly but don't move things around regularly enough. I mean, sometimes I do, but right now it's not very tidy at all and I really should take some time to clean it up. ...later...

Pike
03-11-2013, 04:22 PM
I feel like I need to point out that I haven't deleted a single email in my gmail so there's stuff in there going back to 2006 or... I dunno whenever gmail first hit the internet.

Everything is "read", though. A lot of times I just skim the subject and if it's not important I'll mark it as read without actually opening it.

I use Thunderbird because I want to have Mozilla's babies and it helps me keep track of my emails as they come in :aimsun:

Shorty
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
I have constant access to my email accounts through my phone so I usually delete or reply to them really fast.

Yep.

I keep currently important things in my inbox - packages/purchases that haven't arrived yet, emails to myself that serve as reminders of something, upcoming flights and upcoming concerts/events. I get a shit ton of EoFF emails every day (subscribed threads, yo) and I delete them after I've read them. Same with facebook, livejournal and tumblr and whatevs. I have file folders for my landlord, myself, Pontus, etsy purchases, my sister, recipes, and I can't bring myself to delete my grandmother's folder even after she passed even though it's been a few years.

I guess I'm decently organized with it. There's currently 55 emails sitting in my inbox that need to be "completed" to be filed and it's driving me nuts. My old hotmail account is out of control, though. Lord knows what's in there.

NorthernChaosGod
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
I check my email at least every few hours from either my phone or computer, because I'm dependent on technology like that. I actually go through and delete stuff I don't need anymore too.

Rantz
03-11-2013, 08:23 PM
I have a Gmail for communicating with actual people, and some important stuff like banks, Facebook and whatnot. I keep it clean of unread mails and generally check everything I get immediately. I do a "select all -> archive" every once in a while to keep the inbox nice and tidy, too. I don't usually label stuff manually but I have some filters set up to label some things automatically.

Then I have an account at mail.com which I use for 99% of signup forms and newsletters and whatnot. I don't check it frequently at all - maybe once a week, when I just skim the subject lines and check what interests me, then I select all and mark as read.

It makes for very unobstructive email interaction!

Denmark
03-11-2013, 08:31 PM
i use gmail, but i use it really poorly. everyone else's gmail inbox that i've seen is super organized and i'm like "EVERYTHING GOES IN THE INBOX, WHO CARES ABOUT ORGANIZATION". i'm most likely to see/remember important emails if they're just in the inbox. i have a chrome extension that tells me when i have an unread email, so i read every single one. the little number that shows up on the icon is annoying and marking as unread is the way to remind myself of things.

about 10k-11k emails in that inbox.

Aulayna
03-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Hotmail: Spam
Gmail: Spam
Yahoo: Family members and old mailing lists I'm still part of
Personal domain: important things (bills etc), linkedin notifications
Work: Work

Facebook: Everything else

Pike
03-11-2013, 09:32 PM
I keep thinking I should make an email account specifically for spam/mailing lists and I keep failing to get around to it. :shobon:

fire_of_avalon
03-12-2013, 01:27 AM
I don't get any emails that aren't spam or warned posts.

I'm such a loser.

Heath
03-18-2013, 12:18 AM
My personal non-spam accounts are fine, it's my work emails that get cluttered. My Monday mornings usually begin with me deleting the Your Outlook Inbox is Full emails.

Cloudane
03-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Your system administrator secretly hates you :p

Exchange mailbox storage is expensive (since it has to be ultra fast and safe) so typically there's a bit less available than users would like to hoard. Not a lotta people know that :)

Psychotic
03-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Amazon is getting a little bit needy right now and all my emails are from them!

My work email is always managed efficiently though.

Burtsplurt
03-18-2013, 08:49 PM
My Yahoo account just says 999+ - I think it got bored counting. It's somewhere in the tens of thousands.

Even my work e-mail has several hundred that are unread. I justify it because it's amazing the number of times I need that seemingly pointless e-mail from 2009. On second thoughts, that has never actually happened but I'll happily carry on regardless!

Heath
03-18-2013, 08:58 PM
I do mean to add them to my nice ordered .PST files, but I never seem to have the time at the moment. It's usually people sending ridiculously big attachments that quickly clog it up. I'm out the office for the next three days, so I'll look forward to another couple of system admin emails!

Shorty
03-18-2013, 11:29 PM
4% full
Using 0.5 GB of your 10.1 GB

I don't know how you people let clutter fill your e-lives.

NorthernChaosGod
03-19-2013, 05:55 AM
4% full
Using 0.5 GB of your 10.1 GB

I don't know how you people let clutter fill your e-lives.

What was that?

You are currently using 273 MB (2%) of your 10355 MB