PDA

View Full Version : I saved a Husky today

Freya
03-12-2013, 05:34 AM
There was this poor dog, he was lost and scared and he kept going up and down the road and across traffic as I was washing my car. So I ran out there to try to see if he was collared or anything. I tried to whistle at him to see if he'd react but he wouldn't. He wouldn't come near me cause he was frightened and scared and he didn't seem very use to people. I ended up running out into traffic on a highway and because I was chasing after him a few other people started to try to catch him as well thinking he was my dog. Eventually he crawled under a truck that stopped in the middle of the highway. We backed up traffic for a while and someone had called animal control. He was frightened so he was snapping a bit but you could tell he was just scared. He had been limping and you could tell he was tired as well. He had a collar with his name and a phone number to contact and they took him away.

tldr; I ran out into traffic to save a lost Husky.

My boyfriend said I filled my good samaritan quota for the month. 'Cept I wasn't doing it to fill any quota. I just couldn't bear to see the poor guy hit and someone lose a friend because I didn't try to help. It wouldn't have set right with me if I could have done something but didn't.

What's something you have done that could be considered being a "good samaritan"?

Yar
03-12-2013, 05:45 AM
I saved a guy's life a couple weeks ago. :p I think I told you about it.

This guy wasn't watching where he was walking and walked straight into an intersection with oncoming traffic. I grabbed his shirt and pulled him back. It lead to an awkward conversation that I didn't understand.

Freya
03-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Oh yeah! Well of course it was an awkward convo, that's what you get when you're in another country o.o

Look at us being all nice and stuff.

Shorty
03-12-2013, 06:00 AM
I'm so proud of you, kc. I like to think that I'd save any animal I found that was in distress if I was able to. Good for you for stopping traffic. Poor thing was probably scared to death.

I've been a good samaritan at giving strangers directions in the past. Most of the time I'm too anxious to talk to strangers, let alone willingly do anything nice for them.

nik0tine
03-12-2013, 06:04 AM
I always give homeless people my change when they ask.

Freya
03-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Yeah he looked like he'd been lost for a day or so. His hair was a little matted and he was just walking really slowly all confused. Poor guy. :( I think i'ma call the humane society tomorrow to see if they got him home.

Night Fury
03-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Hmm. The only good thing I think I've done lately was to help my housemate through a traumatic experience she had. But then I wouldn't say that was all that good really, as I'd expect any decent human being would have done the same thing. Saying that, my other housemate was neither use nor ornament and didn't help at all, in fact she made it worse. But I've learned not to expect too much from that :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Rantz
03-12-2013, 08:25 PM
I have let many people gaze upon my face.

Freya
03-12-2013, 08:27 PM
I just called to see if they found the guy his home but they said they haven't heard anything :( this police department/animal control department is useless.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I haven't done much because I'm a scumbag, but nice work! Yay, husky! :kakapo:

Tigmafuzz
03-12-2013, 09:04 PM
I ate a husky today.

Miriel
03-12-2013, 09:14 PM
I've been a good samaritan at giving strangers directions in the past. Most of the time I'm too anxious to talk to strangers, let alone willingly do anything nice for them.

Oh man, I am CONSTANTLY being stopped and asked for directions. Which is pretty hilarious since I get lost all the time and I think north is whatever is ahead of me. But I always do my best to steer people in the right direction. Just the other day, a girl asked me for directions and I didn't know where we were exactly, so we used my phone map to get her to the right place.

Tony and I saved an older couple who were stuck in the mountains in the dark on a hike awhile ago. I also bought a panhandler a bagel since he said he was hungry. I offer food to homeless people whenever I can, but often I get turned down.

I also regularly donate to a dog rescue organization.

I try to be a kind person.

Leeza
03-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Nicely done, Freya. :)

One time I stopped traffic as well because there was a dog that was hit by a car and he was lying right in the middle of the road. No one else was stopping. I did, and the guy behind me was quite pissed off but eventually he saw reason and helped me move the dog off to the side of the road. The dog was very heavy, but still very much alive. Anyway, I ended up staying with the dog while the guy went and found the dog's owners a few houses down. The dog was eventually okay, but I just couldn't believe that no one would stop to help this dog but would have instead let other cars run over him.

Freya
03-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I don't get people sometimes! How they can't stop to help an animal out :(

Formalhaut
03-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Aww, Freya! My love for you have grown even more that I know you're willing to run into traffic to rescue animals! I love animals! This makes me feel all gooey and lovely inside! I shall rep each post you make in this thread as a sign of my gratitude.

As for my acts of samaritanship recently, I did make an thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/149064-giving-blood-donating-organs.html) about me giving blood and being on the organ donor register. Being a young person, rates of blood donation are incredibly low so I guess I'm an oddity.

I've also been somewhat of a confidant to my friends. I like to be open with my friends and I like them to know that I'm always available for a chat should they need one. I've always been a confidant whenever possible.

fire_of_avalon
03-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Freya and Justy: Baddest of Asses.

I haven't done anything that awesome lately. xD

Calliope
03-13-2013, 12:46 AM
I secretly gave a sick friend of mine a DVD to watch, and left another friend of mine a handmade birthday card. I volunteer at a raptor centre; it's nice to be able to help creatures directly. I try to listen to people when they talk.

Shiny
03-13-2013, 12:46 AM
I try to be an asshole, but it always leads to unintentionally good samaritan acts. >=(

Like this one time I was just standing outside listening to my mom gossip about the neighbors and a little bird fell in my hand. The tree was pretty far up. My dad fed it and then gave it to a rescue service.

Another time a blind person asked if I could walk them across the street. I had to go in the same direction so I was like k.

I give to charities, but I don't feel it's important to note those as I'm not doing it for recognition.

And don't get me started on directions. For some reason people think I'm approachable so they constantly ask me directions. Sometimes I know where they want to go, but most of the time I'm like, "I don't know where that is". A day hasn't gone by where this hasn't happened with exception of the weekends when I'm not in the city. I get a lot of people coming up to me speaking Spanish asking me puede ir a blah blah.

Laddy
03-13-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm practically a hotline for hormonal female high school graduates.

qwertysaur
03-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Freya, Yar and Leeza all deserve platters of cookies.

I had a student give me brownies today because she got a B+ on her second calculus test after I tutored her. She failed her first one and was considering dropping the class so I'm happy I was able to help her.

Shorty
03-13-2013, 05:17 PM
I think north is whatever is ahead of me

I do this, too :| I know that toward the city is north, but for some reason I always think the San Jose direction is north!

Rantz has a tadpole hero story that he needs to share.