PDA

View Full Version : Stop getting big heads, you jerkfaces

Calliope
03-13-2013, 12:43 AM
Or: The Thread of Eternal and Sincere Gratitude. What kinds acts have you been the recipient of lately?

1) Abby brought me a vase of flowers a couple of weeks ago - I didn't expect that at all! They are very pretty.

2) A lady in my writing class emailed me to say my writing was "so powerful" it made her cry. That was kind of her, although it makes me uncomfortable.

fire_of_avalon
03-13-2013, 12:59 AM
This is a good thread.

Today when I told my co-worker I would be a mean doctor, if I were a doctor, she told me I was smart enough to be a doctor. While I don't think that's true, I know this particular co-worker has a lot of respect and admiration for doctors so I really appreciate the sentiment behind her words.

A patient brings us candy for no reason! Good candy. Big bags of good candy. We don't deserve it, at least I don't, but we still get it and that's great and I'm thankful we have it when crazy people come in or we get stressed out and want something good.

My sister has decided that every other Thursday she is taking me to lunch for a few because we don't get to spend much sisterly, one-on-one time together anymore and she knows I miss her. And she knows I like lunch.

I am really lucky in a lot of ways I don't often recognize. I should remember that.

Jinx
03-13-2013, 01:06 AM
My dad is giving me the money he's owed me for a few years, and I will be able to pay off some of my debt.

It's nice, cos I didn't think I'd ever see it.

Denmark
03-13-2013, 01:12 AM
my parents are letting me continue to live in their house and eat their food for free, at my age

and people are generally being nice people to me lately

Shlup
03-13-2013, 02:03 AM
I went to my dad's house the other day and told them the fetus I'm hosting is female. Their neighbor was having a baby shower, and when my brother told her that I was having a girl too she packed up the salvageable baby shower stuff all nicely and brought it over to me, including some flowers in a pot painted with "Baby girl" (BJ said he wanted to throw it away because the B was capital and the g wasn't, the butt). I'm not a fan of pink on PINK on PINK, but I kept about half of it and it was really nice of her.

Miriel
03-13-2013, 02:54 AM
Baby girl! ^____^ :jess::jess::jess:

Pike
03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
The gubment gave me $400 as a tax refund and I thought I was only going to get like $100 :)

Shoeberto
03-13-2013, 02:29 PM
I got a glowing review at work earlier this week, and the same day a friend of mine gifted me Magicka on Steam so we could play it together this weekend.

Plus in general I consider myself to be lucky every day with my home life. My girlfriend is wonderful and we've made a very comfortable home together with some incredibly sweet and loving animals.

Madame Adequate
03-13-2013, 05:32 PM
The gubment gave me $400 as a tax refund and I thought I was only going to get like $100 :)

THANKS, OBAMA!

No wait I mean it sincerely :(

Also yeah like denmark my folks let me live at home and eat their stuff which is pretty great because otherwise I'd be a crazy homeless person

Shorty
03-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Jumping on the parent-gratitude train. If my mom wasn't letting me move home for the summer, I would be very, very, very poor. She's setting up my guest house with all of this super cute shabby chic furniture that she's painted and re-upholstered herself with material that she let me pick out just to make me more comfortable coming home. I am so grateful for such a thoughtful mother.

I've also been so incredibly lucky that I've been able to keep all of my animals (well, the ones that mean the most to me - I miss my fish and my birds) throughout these tricky moving processes.

Greatermaximus
03-13-2013, 10:28 PM
I decided to buy something from someone else although I can easily create it myself.

Denmark
03-13-2013, 10:47 PM
I decided to buy something from someone else although I can easily create it myself.

did you buy a child

Jowy
03-13-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm glad that I've acclimated so well during my move and eternally grateful to be living with such great friends.

Unbreakable Will
03-14-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm thankful that my grandfather is letting Nikki, Haiden and I stay with him until our military situation pans out. I got the last bits in place and all I need to do now is go to MEPS and swear in. Here's hoping!
:D

Jinx
03-15-2013, 04:26 PM
I went to my dad's house the other day and told them the fetus I'm hosting is female. Their neighbor was having a baby shower, and when my brother told her that I was having a girl too she packed up the salvageable baby shower stuff all nicely and brought it over to me, including some flowers in a pot painted with "Baby girl" (BJ said he wanted to throw it away because the B was capital and the g wasn't, the butt). I'm not a fan of pink on PINK on PINK, but I kept about half of it and it was really nice of her.

omg there will be two of them

I'm really excited for you. Congrats. :)

Mirage
03-15-2013, 06:15 PM
My dad helped me out financially recently because I am a poor mother fucker. That's pretty nice, considering my age.

Calliope
03-19-2013, 09:49 PM
For the last six months I've been taking a memoir writing class at the university. There are about ten of us in the class, and everyone is at least twice my age, because twentysomethings usually have jobs and families and don't simply sit around stewing about the past and trying to make it into art. It has been a valuable process; learning to share and talk about things, to have a captive audience, to read deeper, to try to accept compliments, to take criticism without absorbing and amplifying it, to reflect on language and produce longer pieces of work than I am accustomed to.

It's a three-quarter class, and having just finished the second quarter, I mentioned in passing to one lady that I wasn't sure if I would be taking the last part of the class because it is very expensive (about a month's worth of my wages). I've been thinking about it for the last couple of weeks, trying to figure out if I can take another class (nope, credit classes would cost three months worth of wages), or simply join a writing group, if I should just enroll, or stagger along on my own, etc.

Anyway, today I woke up to an email from my classmate asking me to call her; I thought maybe she wanted a critique or something because there's a literary journal she is considering submitting to soon. She had actually emailed my classmates letting them know I may not be taking the last class, and within an hour everyone had pledged to chip in to cover my tuition, because apparently they see me as something of an integral member of the class.

I am not only the recipient of a generous monetary donation, but I am also being strongly encouraged to seek a publisher for the small pieces I have produced thus far. It is no small thing to take the time to read on the life and work of another; I hope I could one day create something someone else might find of value. It is funny; I feel so alone so much of the time, but there is at least a roomful of "successful adults" somewhere that believe I might carry worth.

Rye
03-24-2013, 03:04 PM

Hahaha, I love this.

I guess the most generous thing that has happened to me lately is just the overwhelming good will that I've received since I've moved. A lot of people have either given me small gifts or useful items for the house, helped me in some way to find a really great apartment for a killer price, or just generally have been kind and supportive.

It's one of those occasions where I've felt really touched and eager to pay the good will forward the next time I find some young person trying to move out.

Araciel
03-24-2013, 10:47 PM
I avoided stepping on a snail once.

Chemical
03-25-2013, 05:57 AM
Calliope, that is a very touching story!

My room mate and best friend does so many little things for me it is hard to pick only one thing but I am truly grateful to have her in my life... but maybe back in February when she organized a cross-dressing surprise birthday cake and tea in between my work shifts.

Calliope
03-25-2013, 06:27 AM
I was pretty touched! & that sounds like a pretty excellent work break.

Yesterday, one of my co-workers asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee, her shout. She came back with like...six fancy coffee drinks for people, she probably spent at least half her shift's wages on coffee! It was very kind of her. Every so often I bake cupcakes or something and bring them to work, perhaps next time we can coordinate our efforts!

chionos
03-25-2013, 07:00 AM
That sounds like a pretty stupid-awesome situation, Calliope. I wish my classmates thought enough about me to pay for my tuition!

Also, bestow upon us thy works, thou muse, thou voice of epic poetry?

I can't think of any RAoKs I've been the recipient of recently, but I did get the chance a few days ago to buy gas for someone who was out of town and had lost their wallet. Afterwards I wondered if I had been scammed, but oh well, I'm happy I did it.

Oh, I forgot, I went to visit my grandmother last week in the middle of the day and she made biscuits for me, which is (you'll just have to take my word for it) simply the best thing in the whole world.

Also, my two-year-old son got in my face the other day.
He looked me in the eyes and asked, "You happy?"
I didn't know what to say, because he was so sincere and curious and too-mature-to-be-two in that moment, and also because I wasn't actually happy. I was angry about something trivial, insignificant.
He grabbed my head with his tiny hands and made me look at him, because apparently I had gotten distracted by my own thoughts and wasn't answering him.
He asked again, "You happy, dad?"
I didn't want to lie, so I said, "No, I'm mad"
He waited for a few seconds then asked again, "You happy, dad?" and he smiled, and I didn't want to lie, so I said, "Yes, I'm happy"
And he said, "Good, I love you."
Two years old, and he's already a better person than me.

Calliope
04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
A friend of mine picks me up to do volunteer work on Sundays, and although it was my idea, I'm always a little sluggish because I'm not an early morning kinda person. She was set to arrive earlier than usual, so texted me asking if she could pick up a cup of coffee or a red bull to placate me, even though she wasn't getting one for herself.

We've had a few people take us to the airport lately; which is always a considerate gesture, particularly given travelling can be stressful for some people even if everything runs smoothly.