PDA

View Full Version : Cat or Dog

Del Murder
03-13-2013, 03:12 AM
What would you rather have as a pet: cat or dog?

There's a correct answer to this, but I just want to see how many people are wrong.

Agent Proto
03-13-2013, 03:21 AM
Dog of course. Cats are okay, but dogs. Come on, it's pretty obvious.

Faris
03-13-2013, 03:21 AM
You can't make me chose one! I will have both!

Right now it's easier for me to own a cat because I can go away for a weekend and not have to worry too much.

CimminyCricket
03-13-2013, 03:42 AM
Cats.

Madame Adequate
03-13-2013, 03:43 AM
Cats.

Because cats are better.

Bunny
03-13-2013, 03:44 AM
The apartment complex I live in has restrictions on the types of dogs you can have while living here - most of which include the type of dogs that I would like to have. So I have a cat.

When we move to a bigger place, we are going to be getting a dog.

I'd rather have both.

Denmark
03-13-2013, 03:47 AM
no option for rabbits :(

Freya
03-13-2013, 04:00 AM
You can't make me chose one! I will have both!

Right now it's easier for me to own a cat because I can go away for a weekend and not have to worry too much.

The apartment complex I live in has restrictions on the types of dogs you can have while living here - most of which include the type of dogs that I would like to have. So I have a cat.

When we move to a bigger place, we are going to be getting a dog.

I'd rather have both.

That.

Sephiroth
03-13-2013, 04:40 AM
A cat is the only being that is smart enough to enslave humans and do it right.

Laddy
03-13-2013, 04:42 AM
Dog. They have so much love and a desire to please you. Plus, they're super smart.

Denmark
03-13-2013, 04:49 AM
they're super smart.

http://i.imgur.com/Rb305.gif

"YEAH I'LL JUST JUMP OUT OF THIS TRAIN I'M REALLY SMART"

i love both dogs and cats, though i probably like cats slightly more because some dogs are mean and bark at me when i'm running. and they ignore their electric fence or their owners are assholes and never put one up. it really limits where i can run.

edit: ALSO SIMBA AND NALA ARE CATS
http://i.imgur.com/XXEEJFu.png

Pumpkin
03-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Both.

Mostly, I want a ferret.

Pheesh
03-13-2013, 05:01 AM
Both are fine. If you have a good dog they're probably more rewarding than a good cat. Cats are easier to own though.

I voted dog cause I have a dog atm and I love him to bits.

Shorty
03-13-2013, 05:15 AM
I love my kitties, but I love them slightly less than I love my mailbox-headed, act-before-thinking, whiny, begging, needy, stubborn-as-an-ass dog.

Del Murder
03-13-2013, 05:26 AM
Why would you prefer a pet that can enslave you?

Leeza
03-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Hmmm. I really need to think about this...

Cat. :cat:

Burtsplurt
03-13-2013, 08:03 AM
I used to have a cat named after the cartoon dog Snoopy. I like to think it was the best of both worlds as he was both a cat and also not a stinky dog.

NorthernChaosGod
03-13-2013, 08:21 AM
The only correct choice is a dog.

Ashi
03-13-2013, 09:49 AM

True that.

Where I'm living right now we have everything. Dogs, cats, birds..

Night Fury
03-13-2013, 09:54 AM
I love cats and hope to one day have a cat, but I can't live without a dog. I've had them all my life and a house just isn't a home without a dog imo.

Aulayna
03-13-2013, 10:01 AM
I love both but went with Dog. I've always had both though.

blackmage_nuke
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Neither but if I had to choose, probably dog.

Sephiroth
03-13-2013, 01:50 PM

I don't think you understood what I wrote because the enslaving thing cats do with humans is nothing bad. And it is a way to say how smart, cool and cute cats are. Except some cats which only look like cats but cannot be called "cats" since they are too ugly.

Bubba
03-13-2013, 02:37 PM
the enslaving thing cats do with humans is nothing bad

Tell that to the humans they supposedly enslave!

I know what you mean though when you say it's just a way of saying they are intelligent. There are clearly more enlightened than dogs but I would still rather have a dog as a pet as they have much more character. My last pet was cat though (more out of convenience) so I don't dislike them.

Slothy
03-13-2013, 02:49 PM

How can you not respect an animal that is so crafty they make you their slave and you don't even know it. Plus they pur. Purring is infinitely preferable to stupid, smelly dogs constantly whining for my attention and/or slobbering all over my crotch. And don't even get me started on barking. Every time I hear a dog barking at something when I'm near by I want to punch it.

qwertysaur
03-13-2013, 03:59 PM
I like both, but dogs win out in the end for me because growing up we had a dog and not a cat.

My cat thinks he is a dog sometimes though. :p

Unbreakable Will
03-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Cat hands down. I'm just not a dog person anymore.

Calliope
03-13-2013, 06:03 PM
I like cats and dogs. Cats, however, I find to be cleaner, quieter, and not in need of my constant attention and care. I largely find dogs to be needy, annoying and distasteful. When we eventually find a new apartment, Joe and I are either going to get a cat, a quaker/monk parrot, or a pineapple conure.

I asked people this question at work the other day, and I was shocked by how many people professed to be frightened by dogs.

Psychotic
03-13-2013, 07:24 PM
They're both lame. I want a god damn capybara.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-13-2013, 07:38 PM

My baby: Linux. Right now the only guy I share my bed with. :p

Tigmafuzz
03-13-2013, 07:54 PM
I refuse to answer this poll until the correct answer is added as an option.

Calliope
03-14-2013, 05:01 AM
I've never understood why we have lolcats and not just loldogs instead - cats would never speak like that, but dogs definitely would.

Yamaneko
03-14-2013, 05:37 AM
Once one realizes there was no Miller Family Cat, the answer becomes immediately clear.

Miriel
03-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Dogs are fucking smart.
Dogs will love you with all their hearts.
Dogs will risk their lives to protect you.
Dogs are so god damn happy all the time that you can't help but be happy around them.
Dogs will go explore the world with you.
Dogs are snuggly as hell.

I've always liked cats, but dogs are just a whole other league. They are the best.

escobert
03-14-2013, 07:08 AM
I like dogs but, I love cats :p

Shiny
03-14-2013, 07:13 AM
I want grumpy cat as a pet. I will tickle and cuddle him until he is forced to live a joyful life.

With that said, I have two dogs whom I love dearly. I also have other pets and I don't hold them at a higher standard to the others because of their species.

Tigmafuzz
03-14-2013, 07:32 AM
him

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW GRUMPY CAT

Shiny
03-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Well, I've never seen it's genitals soooo...

Pheesh
03-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Just as a sidenote; watching this poll has been riveting.

Rantz
03-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Cats, dogs...

Why not both?

Madame Adequate
03-14-2013, 08:11 AM
I've said this before but look I've known some dumb cats - Rosie is not a powerhouse of mental agility for example - and you can teach dogs some impressive tricks (though that's more because a cat will say "fuck off" if you try to control it) but even the dumbest of cats does not need to be constantly watched in case it eats its own poop.

Dogs are wonderful and I adore them. I'd love to have a big dopey retriever or lab or something like that. But they are about as far from smart as something can be whilst still remembering to breathe.

As for the enslaving humans thing, it's more respect than anything else. Yes, cat people know exactly how beholden they are, and they know exactly how cunning cats can be. Look at any fictional portrayal of crazy future slavery and you will find something that enslaves through, for example, psychic powers or genetically engineering slaves to want their servitude. Well, we've already got that right here on Earth. All cat people know they are slaves, and they are perfectly happy with that state of affairs. Any species that manages this degree of magnificent bastardy is truly worthy of respect.

XxSephirothxX
03-14-2013, 08:36 AM
I don't think I could ever form the kind of emotional attachment to a cat that I can and have with dogs. Cats are fine. They can be clever and cute.

Dogs are companions. They got soul.

Miriel
03-14-2013, 08:36 AM
None of my dogs have ever eaten their own poop. Poop eating can be a sign of poor nutrition, parasites in their digestive system, or from wanting attention from neglectful parents, even if that attention is scolding. BTW, cats eat their own poop some times too.

To avoid this, feed your pets a healthy diet, get regular checkups at the vet, and don't starve your pets for attention to the point where they will do something they KNOW is bad in order to get your attention.

My Charlie potty trained himself within the first few weeks we brought him home. He was just a puppy and he would hold his pee for as long as he could and then make a break for the backyard to relieve himself. And always in a far away corner behind a bush. And once when we had another puppy in the house and Lizzie was getting less attention than she was used to, she jumped right up on the bed, paused to LOOK US IN THE EYE, and then whizzed all over the bed. That's not something a dumb dog does. That's something a vindictive dog does.

So does can be needy, yes. But most are super intelligent. Even the dopey ones are super in tune with your emotions and can tell when you're sad and will be there to comfort you. And of course there's dogs who can tell when someone is about to have a heart attack or a seizure and warn you about it. Service dogs in general are smurfing smart as hell.

They don't use cats in the police force or in the military, do they? They use smart, brave ass dogs.

Refusing to do things for other people isn't indicative of being smart. It just means you're selfish as smurf. Dogs that are happy to do your bidding aren't doing so because they're too dumb to know better, they do it because they love you and/or because they will be rewarded for it.

Night Fury
03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Anyone saying that dogs are not smart is wrong.

Dog's are incredible animals. A dog we bred was trained to become an epilepsy help dog as dogs can sense the changes in the body before a fit. Dogs are trained to assist the blind, deaf, and for people who are in wheelchairs or in some condition in which having a dog would benefit them. I've never once watched a cat assist a blind person across the road. Dogs have also been known to help their owner if they are in peril. Say, a child was out walking with her dog and parents, and she happened to fall into a river... a dog would jump in and help her and it has been known for them to do things like that.

Another dog I bred had been coming back from her walk, her owner took a nasty fall - Liza pulled her over away from the road and went and got help. Pretty smart dog.

My dogs are so so so smart. When my grandma passed away over Christmas, I came home and sat in my room not crying, but just sitting staring for a while. My dog who is usually so dumb and dopey and not at all that bothered about being hugged sat and watched me and then walked over to me, climbed up on the bed and sat beside me nuzzling his head into my shoulder and just let me hug him until I cried. If that's not a clever animal.... well, I don't know what is.

Slothy
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Dogs are smurfing smart.
Dogs will love you with all their hearts.
Dogs will risk their lives to protect you.
Dogs are so god damn happy all the time that you can't help but be happy around them.
Dogs will go explore the world with you.
Dogs are snuggly as hell.

I've always liked cats, but dogs are just a whole other league. They are the best.

1) Apparently not smart enough to figure out that the last thing I want is their face in my crotch every five seconds.
2) I've never had a dog myself, but this seems a silly point to make since I've never had a cat that didn't love me.
3) Impressive if I ever feel the need for some home security. Annoying when I just have some friends coming over to visit and they won't shut the hell up.
4) I've been around happy dogs. They're annoying as hell and won't stop looking for affection that I don't want to give them.
5) Why do I want an annoying dog exploring the world with me? A well trained cat could do the same and not be annoying.
6) My cat loves to snuggle more than any animal I've ever seen. And the best part is, he doesn't smell like a dog while doing it.

:p

Pheesh
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Everything in that post is what a badly trained dog would do, not a good one. It's no different than those up themselves cats that never want to be stroked and just claw at your leg.

Pumpkin
03-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I think it's a matter of which dog and which cat. I have had many of both and I've had plenty that were cuddly, dog and cat alike, loyal, playful, and smart. It's not something that is exclusive to one species or the other.

Laddy
03-14-2013, 04:38 PM
You guys know dogs can be trained, right? :p Like, dogs (especially a more intelligent one) can be trained to pretty much anyone's specifications if you know what you're doing.

Shauna
03-14-2013, 04:49 PM
I think it's a matter of which dog and which cat. I have had many of both and I've had plenty that were cuddly, dog and cat alike, loyal, playful, and smart. It's not something that is exclusive to one species or the other.

How dare you try to take a moderate stance! This is EoFF! Only one can win! :argh:

Slothy
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Everything in that post is what a badly trained dog would do, not a good one.

You guys know dogs can be trained, right? :p Like, dogs (especially a more intelligent one) can be trained to pretty much anyone's specifications if you know what you're doing.

So let's break this down then: if I wanted a dog that wasn't an annoying waste of time, money and space, I'd basically have to put in effort to prevent it from being the annoying waste of space it really wants to be. And I'd still have to put up with it being smelly, unattractive, and it's constant need for affection lest it degenerate into an emotionally damaged sack of meat because I didn't feel like throwing a ball in the yard with it one day.

Or I could just buy a cat and bypass all of that silly bullshit altogether. You're doing a poor job of convincing me that Dog's are anything more than useful tools for human survival.

Shorty
03-14-2013, 05:02 PM
I actually have no idea how my dog would react if I were in a threatening situation. He's protective of his property and is an alert barker in the home if he hears noises from the other side of the door, but he is the biggest wuss I have ever seen. I'm almost entirely certain that he would cower behind me in order to be protected if someone broke in or attacked me or something, but I can't be sure because it's never happened. He's not the sort of dog to stand up and fight back if he feels threatened, which is something I have witnessed during the several times he has been attacked by other dogs. This makes me conclude that he would probably not drag me to safety or anything, but I hope he would.

Having said that, my dog is incredibly in tune with my emotions, happy and sad. He's so smart, and can understand more than just single-word commands. He can be incredibly obstinate and stubborn if he doesn't want to do something, but he is very smart.

Night Fury
03-14-2013, 05:08 PM
I actually have no idea how my dog would react if I were in a threatening situation. He's protective of his property and is an alert barker in the home if he hears noises from the other side of the door, but he is the biggest wuss I have ever seen. I'm almost entirely certain that he would cower behind me in order to be protected if someone broke in or attacked me or something, but I can't be sure because it's never happened. He's not the sort of dog to stand up and fight back if he feels threatened, which is something I have witnessed during the several times he has been attacked by other dogs. This makes me conclude that he would probably not drag me to safety or anything, but I hope he would.

Having said that, my dog is incredibly in tune with my emotions, happy and sad. He's so smart, and can understand more than just single-word commands. He can be incredibly obstinate and stubborn if he doesn't want to do something, but he is very smart.

Shorty I can honestly say he would probably surprise you in a nasty situation.

Shorty
03-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I hope he would!

Laddy
03-14-2013, 05:22 PM
So let's break this down then: if I wanted a dog that wasn't an annoying waste of time, money and space, I'd basically have to put in effort to prevent it from being the annoying waste of space it really wants to be. And I'd still have to put up with it being smelly, unattractive, and it's constant need for affection lest it degenerate into an emotionally damaged sack of meat because I didn't feel like throwing a ball in the yard with it one day.
On second though, don't get a dog. Ever. :stare:

Bunny
03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Everything in that post is what a badly trained dog would do, not a good one.

Or I could just buy a cat and bypass all of that silly bulltrout altogether. You're doing a poor job of convincing me that Dog's are anything more than useful tools for human survival.

You probably shouldn't have pets.

Shiny
03-14-2013, 06:21 PM
6) My cat loves to snuggle more than any animal I've ever seen. And the best part is, he doesn't smell like a dog while doing it.:p
Obviously you've never been around clean dogs then. My dogs don't have an odor.

Also Vivi your posts reminds me why I dislike a good amount of cat owners. You shouldn't see a pet as a waste of space, time, and money. Otherwise what is the point in having one? I know people that will only get a cat just to have a pet, and do absolutely nothing for it aside from occasionally feed it. I don't see the point in that. I get pets as companions and additions to the family -- I'd treat a cat the same way.

TrollHunter
03-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Vivi, you just dont seem like a pet person at all. Why have a pet if you dont want it around?

Considering my dogs have saved me from others that have tried to attack me, calmed down family arguments, helped me cope with my aspergers, saved my mom when she passed out in the bathroom, are as avid about hiking in the mountains as i am, and are freaking adorable i think my answer is fairly obvious.

Laddy
03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
I wonder if Vivi thinks of children similarly.

Miriel
03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Hey, notice how the dog people will say positive things about dogs and why we love them. And very little about cat negatives. But cat people will talk only a little about the pro-cat stuff and a bunch about why they hate dogs. Says something about cat people, don't you think? ;)

Vivi, my list never said that cats are excluded from any of those behaviors. It was just a list of why dogs are awesome. Dogs will love you, cats will love you, so pick whichever love you want. Does it make you feel better about your life decisions to hate on dogs?

Citizen Bleys
03-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Where I'm living right now we have everything. Dogs, cats, birds..

Birds?

Seriously, who wants the only pet that literally shits on you. Constantly.

My cat is awesome and does not shit on me.

Unbreakable Will
03-14-2013, 07:08 PM
There can only be one...
Yeah, that just happened. Highlander Cat. I want one.

Citizen Bleys
03-14-2013, 07:25 PM
But cat people will talk only a little about the pro-cat stuff and a bunch about why they hate dogs.

Misrep. Only one cat person is saying anything anti-dog in isolation. That being said, whenever I compare cats and dogs, cats come out ahead.

I think dogs are alright, I just like cats better; the only reason I don't like having a dog at my house to visit is that it scares the stuffing out of the cat.

Cats are cleaner, better behaved -- and don't talk training here, cats are better behaved by default -- smarter, and yea, more loyal.

I don't have to rub my cat's nose in its own excrement, she knew to use the litter box instinctively. Scooping litter takes literally 2 minutes, I never step in a cat mess (because cats don't make messes), and I don't have to search the whole bloody yard.

I don't have to wrestle my cat into a bath to keep her from smelling, she takes care of that herself.

I don't have to worry about my cat poisoning herself as she won't eat literally anything that will fit down her gullet; My favourite breed of dog is a labrador retriever, and one lab literally ate the watch off of my father's wrist while he was passed out drunk; another eats *all* of the dog food put out for her within minutes. I can put out a dish of cat food and it will last for 3-4 days depending on how hungry the cat is. My cat smells everything before eating it, which is an instinct designed to avoid ingesting poison. Hence, I can go to work and leave my cat home alone all day without worry that she will starve or ingest poison.

Cats are smart. You can trick a cat once and then it remembers forever. My cat made the mistake of walking across the top of the fireplace when there was a fire on once, as a kitten, and now every time she does it she tests the surface with a paw first to make sure it is safe. Trick a dog, and you can fool it again with the same trick ten minutes later. I'm also in the process of training my cat to appreciate Bach, and it is working. I challenge you to do that with any other pet.

Cats are loyal. I come home at night and my cat is waiting for me and purring. Sure, dogs are affectionate too, but it's universal. My cat is affectionate towards me, and hates everyone else. I can pet someone else's dog for ten seconds and it will be just as affectionate towards me as anyone. My cat is discerning. It's capable of making an us/them distinction and trusting me while distrusting strangers.

Calliope
03-14-2013, 08:16 PM
I was going to write about cats, but Bleys just did, so: Birds.

Birds?

Seriously, who wants the only pet that literally trouts on you. Constantly.

My cat is awesome and does not trout on me.

None of my cockateils, cockatoos, rosellas, ringneck or rainbow parakeets ever had problems defecating everywhere. I certainly would not like to be caught in the spray of some of the hawks, falcons, eagles and owls I work with, but that is simply due to size, and it's not a scenario that is very likely. And if it did? So what? Shit happens, and it's not a dealbreaker when it comes to my feathery cohorts. As with any animal that responds to reward-based stimuli, birds (I'm thinking toucans and parrots) can also be toilet-trained.

I find corvids and parrots to be very fascinating, curious and friendly creatures. Our pet Stellar's Jay was adorable; hiding his peanuts around the room, and when we left or looked away he would go and re-hide them in different places. They have an awesome ability to mimic different animals (ours did a perfect imitation of a Swainson's Hawk, and some sort of parrot) and other environmental noises (I think our wee sprocket could also mimic a car alarm).

I wish I could have a pet crow, I always enjoy watching them interact, they're very social and intelligent. Once Joe passed by a dead crow in the middle of the street; probably a hit-and-run victim. The other crows in its flock kept hopping over to look at it and be near it, but of course they had to move whenever another car came; it was very sad.

Once I was walking down the street and saw two crows huddled together on the footpath, and as I approached, one of them dropped something - a perfectly intact dead sparrow one of them had been carrying in its beak. We had a tiny corvid stand-off as I inched closer to my house to go get my camera, and the crows hopped back towards their sparrow, seemingly unafraid and not at all in a hurry. Eventually I caved and went to go get my camera, and one of them just hopped up, carefully picked up its prize, and looked at me as if to say "sucker!" before flying away. It was very beautiful.

Unbreakable Will
03-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Once I was walking down the street and saw two crows huddled together on the footpath, and as I approached, one of them dropped something - a perfectly intact dead sparrow one of them had been carrying in its beak. We had a tiny corvid stand-off as I inched closer to my house to go get my camera, and the crows hopped back towards their sparrow, seemingly unafraid and not at all in a hurry. Eventually I caved and went to go get my camera, and one of them just hopped up, carefully picked up its prize, and looked at me as if to say "sucker!" before flying away. It was very beautiful.
That's awesome, I love birds and if my wife would let me own some I would. The only one I've had was a parakeet named Charlie who was sweet to me but bit the shit out of everyone else. We had an exclusive club membership of a boy and his bird vs. the world.
:D

Calliope
03-14-2013, 08:24 PM
The raptors I work with can get very moody and definitely have their favourite handlers! If you have the patience to build trust with an animal, the bond you share is well worth it :love:

edczxcvbnm
03-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Dogs. Cats are smelly sacks of shit that poop and piss in your house. This one time Sephex was so drunk he was going to show his cats and started to relieve himself in the litter box! You will never have that problem with a dog so there!

Sephex
03-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Dogs. Cats are smelly sacks of shit that poop and piss in your house. This one time Sephex was so drunk he was going to show his cats and started to relieve himself in the litter box! You will never have that problem with a dog so there!

I would buy a liter box and piss in that too if it would teach a dog a life lesson.

Put that on a ****ing T-shirt, bro.

Loony BoB
03-14-2013, 09:36 PM
*puts cats into the lead*

I hope to have both when I'm older.

Citizen Bleys
03-14-2013, 09:46 PM
None of my cockateils, cockatoos, rosellas, ringneck or rainbow parakeets ever had problems defecating everywhere.

One of my relatives had a budgeriar for a while; I visited them for a weekend and got shat on approximately 16,384 times.

Loony BoB
03-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Cats are loyal. I come home at night and my cat is waiting for me and purring. Sure, dogs are affectionate too, but it's universal. My cat is affectionate towards me, and hates everyone else. I can pet someone else's dog for ten seconds and it will be just as affectionate towards me as anyone. My cat is discerning. It's capable of making an us/them distinction and trusting me while distrusting strangers.
I just want to emphasize this point. People - well, those that don't own cats - don't seem to realise that cats are extremely affectionate. I can only imagine they don't realise this because the cats are only this way towards their 'chosen' family. Dogs often show anyone love, and this means even non-dog-owners can understand the love. But I know that my cat will always put familiy first, and love me above all others. When I arrive home, she runs to the door, rubs up on my leg and rolls over so I can rub her belly (which she hates at any other time). If I move into another room, she'll follow me to see what I'm going to do. She'll often just flop down between my keyboard and monitor so she can get cuddles.

Cats do love people, it's just that until you prove to them that you deserve that love, you won't get it. People love to go on about the evil of cats, but the love cats give is what makes me love them back.

TrollHunter
03-14-2013, 10:13 PM
I personally adore cats. Problem is I'm deathly allergic to them. My sister had this one apparently hypo-allergenic cat that loved me to bits, and he was just awesome.
Still prefer dogs though :p

Also, put them back into a tie.

Miriel
03-14-2013, 10:25 PM
But cat people will talk only a little about the pro-cat stuff and a bunch about why they hate dogs.

Misrep. Only one cat person is saying anything anti-dog in isolation.

See, you're doing the same thing. Over and over in your post you talk about something you like about cats, and then try and reinforce the fact that you like it by dissing dogs. The pattern goes, "SOMETHING NICE ABOUT CATS, UNLIKE DOGS, AMIRTE??"

Which is dumb.

My dogs are not affectionate toward other other people. They will be fine with strangers approaching me during the day, but if it's night time and someone comes too near me, they will get their hackles up or bark. They know that during the night, I need to be protected and they show a guardianship they don't display during the day. My dog's breed is legendary for their loyalty. You can find so many stories of dogs who will protect their owner's dead bodies, and even stories of dogs who will go visit your grave. My dog's breed is also known for being almost self-cleaning. Dirt just sloughs off them.

My pups smell great. I regularly just bury my nose in their fur and get a big whiff. Granted, they do get fancy mango bath shampoo. But still.

I don't need to diss cats to reinforce how awesome my dogs are. Dog people = happy/content people ;)

Denmark
03-14-2013, 10:35 PM
you people argue over the most pointless things

Loony BoB
03-14-2013, 10:48 PM

Misrep. Only one cat person is saying anything anti-dog in isolation.

See, you're doing the same thing. Over and over in your post you talk about something you like about cats, and then try and reinforce the fact that you like it by dissing dogs. The pattern goes, "SOMETHING NICE ABOUT CATS, UNLIKE DOGS, AMIRTE??"

Which is dumb.

My dogs are not affectionate toward other other people. They will be fine with strangers approaching me during the day, but if it's night time and someone comes too near me, they will get their hackles up or bark. They know that during the night, I need to be protected and they show a guardianship they don't display during the day. My dog's breed is legendary for their loyalty. You can find so many stories of dogs who will protect their owner's dead bodies, and even stories of dogs who will go visit your grave. My dog's breed is also known for being almost self-cleaning. Dirt just sloughs off them.

My pups smell great. I regularly just bury my nose in their fur and get a big whiff. Granted, they do get fancy mango bath shampoo. But still.

I don't need to diss cats to reinforce how awesome my dogs are. Dog people = happy/content people ;)
When you compare things, you have to compare them. What did you expect in this thread? :p

Pretty sure I mentioned why I like cats without dissing dogs, though.

Raistlin
03-15-2013, 01:10 AM
I love both cats and dogs (real dogs, not the little rodent "dogs" that are no bigger than cats), and would ideally have both one day. If I had to get a pet right now, though, it would be a cat. They are easier to take care of and I could leave it at home all day without concern.

However, nothing beats a really great dog. My last dog, a pit-bull/lab mix, may have been the best pet I could ever hope to have. The affection and companionship you can get from a dog is second to no other pet.

And I don't understand how anyone can seriously say that cats are smarter than dogs. Dogs (at least the bigger ones; small dogs aren't real dogs) are far more capable of learning and obedience on a whole different level than cats. I've had dogs distinguish between shoes/toys he could and couldn't play with, cats/animals he could and couldn't chase without invitation (he would chase our cats if they initiated the play), and places outside the yard he could and couldn't go on his own without approval -- all with little to no deliberate training on our part.

fire_of_avalon
03-15-2013, 02:24 AM
I am a dog person through and through, though cats are nice to be around too. I have two dogs now and I may have a cat or two someday. Like others, though, I will probably always have a dog.

they're super smart.

http://i.imgur.com/Rb305.gif

"YEAH I'LL JUST JUMP OUT OF THIS TRAIN I'M REALLY SMART"

i love both dogs and cats, though i probably like cats slightly more because some dogs are mean and bark at me when i'm running. and they ignore their electric fence or their owners are assholes and never put one up. it really limits where i can run.

edit: ALSO SIMBA AND NALA ARE CATS
http://i.imgur.com/XXEEJFu.png
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YIlWQwiW42U/UDv6XOvq6gI/AAAAAAAACjo/a6Wr8K94hOg/s1600/Balto(1).JPG
Balto.

I've said this before but look I've known some dumb cats - Rosie is not a powerhouse of mental agility for example - and you can teach dogs some impressive tricks (though that's more because a cat will say "smurf off" if you try to control it) but even the dumbest of cats does not need to be constantly watched in case it eats its own poop.

Dogs are wonderful and I adore them. I'd love to have a big dopey retriever or lab or something like that. But they are about as far from smart as something can be whilst still remembering to breathe.
Actually... (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324610504578273952723296148.html)

I was going to write about cats, but Bleys just did, so: Birds.
I wish I could have a pet crow, I always enjoy watching them interact, they're very social and intelligent. Once Joe passed by a dead crow in the middle of the street; probably a hit-and-run victim. The other crows in its flock kept hopping over to look at it and be near it, but of course they had to move whenever another car came; it was very sad.

Crows are the best - and might the smartest non-human animal out there. They make tools and they remember people and they even talk about people who are especially memorable (people who have been nice or mean to them.) I would have a pet crow if it were legal.

Denmark
03-15-2013, 02:28 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YIlWQwiW42U/UDv6XOvq6gI/AAAAAAAACjo/a6Wr8K94hOg/s1600/Balto(1).JPG
Balto.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2myo9DfBf1qdeoygo1_500.gif

Leeza
03-15-2013, 02:40 AM
So does can be needy, yes. But most are super intelligent. Even the dopey ones are super in tune with your emotions and can tell when you're sad and will be there to comfort you. And of course there's dogs who can tell when someone is about to have a heart attack or a seizure and warn you about it. Service dogs in general are smurfing smart as hell. .
I work in a long-term care facility and we had a cat (it's in my album) that would go into the resident's room and sleep with them when he knew that they were about to die. Normally he would just be going into the rooms of residents that he felt comfortable with, but every so often he would be with someone else just before they passed. This happened too often to be a coincidence.

Both dogs and cats have similar qualities. One difference is that most dogs are bigger than cats and do require a lot more attention so people who want a pet have to decide on how much room they have and how much time they can devote to said pet. I cannot see a dog in my small house, even though I really would not mind having one. My cat is very self/cleaning/independent... if her food bowl is full and her litter box is clean. Dogs need bathing and walking on a regular basis as well as a lot of attention/play time. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me.

My cat definitely does also need attention, but picking her up and cuddling her for a few minutes is enough to make her happy for the rest of the day and then she keeps herself busy. Except for when she want to have conversations... then I have to talk to her and she always has to have the last meow. :cat:

Citizen Bleys
03-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Point for cats:

http://www.bleysmaynard.net/lateforwork.jpg

Checkmate.

Madame Adequate
03-15-2013, 03:47 AM
Actually... (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324610504578273952723296148.html)

Bah, you can take your facts, I've met dogs IRL and they're about as smart as a brick sandwiched between two planks of wood :p

(I genuinely didn't know that, awesome link!)

Raistlin
03-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Both dogs and cats have similar qualities. One difference is that most dogs are bigger than cats and do require a lot more attention so people who want a pet have to decide on how much room they have and how much time they can devote to said pet. I cannot see a dog in my small house, even though I really would not mind having one. My cat is very self/cleaning/independent... if her food bowl is full and her litter box is clean. Dogs need bathing and walking on a regular basis as well as a lot of attention/play time. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me.

These are all valid concerns. Dogs certainly do require more attention, more effort, and more space (depending on the type of dog) than cats. That's the reason I will be getting a cat first. But if you have that attention, and are willing to put forth the effort, dogs can be amazing pets.

Pumpkin
03-15-2013, 04:18 AM
Cats and dogs can both be very smart and I have heard and read stories of both cats and dogs doing their best to protect their owners, alert them when the house is on fire by waking them up, etc. Winning that award they give out to animals.

They're both better than YOU.

You heard me

Miriel
03-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Dogs only need to be washed every 6 weeks or so. It's a hassle to do it if your dog doesn't like water, but I have a local place where they have huge tubs built for dogs. And afterward they smell so good and you just want to snuggle them forever.

Dogs definitely need more attention than cats, but I think it's a good thing. I like spending time with my dogs and doing activities with them. It makes my heart so happy when I get to take them to new places and see their faces light up and their tails go nuts. I love picking out new toys for them to play with, or teaching them new tricks. I also really like the exercise it gives me. I enjoy running and enjoy it 10000 times more if I get to run with my dogs. Hiking with my dogs is also smurfing amazing.

There's a reason so many people treat their dogs like they're children. It's work, but you don't mind cause they're your babies and you love them. But like having kids, I wish more people would really consider the responsibility that comes with having a dog/kid before they jump into anything.

That being said, my Lizzie is suuuper low maintanence. One of her favorite things in the world to do is just sleep. For stretch of 6-10 hours at a time. And most dogs in general sleep anywhere from 12-18 hours a day. So they really don't need constant attention or activity.

Bah, you can take your facts, I've met dogs IRL and they're about as smart as a brick sandwiched between two planks of wood :p

(I genuinely didn't know that, awesome link!)

If you have netflix, try watching Dogs Decoded (http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dogs_Decoded_Nova/70148726?locale=en-US). It goes more in depth into the stuff that article talks about. It's really interesting to see how dogs have evolved to really be tailor made into companions for humans.

Tigmafuzz
03-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Some breeds of cat > some breeds of dog
Some breeds of dog > some breeds of cat
All breeds of dogs and cats > people

That article fails to mention how cats have 300 million neurons compared to dogs' average of 160 million. Not taking sides, just sayin'

Loony BoB
03-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Pretty sure the article mentions neurons right at the start (albeit without the numbers involved, it does give the same idea), Tig. :p

Cats and dogs are simply intelligent in different ways, and comparing the two is silly. Dogs are better at being trained by humans, while cats are better at learning on their own. Also, one could argue that dogs need to be trained, while cats train themselves. Cats can certainly be trained, though, to some extent (ie, do action to get reward). They just are less willing to do things on demand, which isn't really down to intelligence so much as it's down to whether or not they have a desire to please / receive a reward.

edczxcvbnm
03-15-2013, 11:12 PM
While I agree with BoB, I must also point out that having more doesn't mean it is better. If those extra Neurons are all going towards the innate ability to always land on your feet they aren't really being put to good use. That hyperbolic example aside, <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/science/the-tomato-ripe-juicy-and-bursting-with-genes.html?_r=0">Tomatoes have more genes than humans</a>. More != better, just different.

None the less I would argue that the ability to understand language (to an extent) and make some deductions based on knowledge of that language is very intelligent and more so than a cat. STUPID CATS ARGLE-BARGLE ;D

Jinx
03-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Miriel, my dog has also done that thing where she makes sure everyone is looking at her, then pops a squat.

I love cats. I want one soooo badly, and once we move, we'll probably get one. However, I prefer dogs.

I'm really getting frustrated with the "all dogs are stupid" sentiment. I have two stupid dogs (but are both very sweet--neither needs attention all the time, either) and one highly intelligent dog (the dog I mentioned above.) She "talks" to people. And it's not just barking. She has a very diverse vocal range, and makes different noises depending on her mood and what she is trying to say. There's no doubt when she starts talking what she is trying to convey to you. If one of my parents wants me, they can say, "Go get Sam!" and she will come to my room/door and bark at me until I come out. She follows me everywhere I go. She is also like a little kid--if she's doing something she knows is wrong, but you laugh at her, she will stop, look at you, and keep doing it because she knows you think it's funny.

She also sighs and gets this bored look on her face when she is bored--and if you give a toy, she goes crazy. And contrary to popular belief her, she's not this ball of energy that is constantly going and wanting to jump and stuff. Most of the time, like Miriel said, she's a lazy little shit and wants to sleep. And if she's not bored and you give her a toy, she looks at you like you're an idiot.

She's got such a personality. I adore her.

NorthernChaosGod
03-16-2013, 06:24 AM
Dogs are also more badass than cats.

inb4 lions or some big cat, none of you people fucking have one.

Night Fury
03-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Urgh, I know it's the mail, and I know it focuses on the 'illegal immigrant' but I read this story a while back and it's awesome.

Jake the hero: Judge praises ROTTWEILER who stopped illegal immigrant from raping woman in park | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1258123/Jake-hero-Judge-praises-ROTTWEILER-stopped-illegal-immigrant-raping-woman-park.html)

Mirage
03-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Cats, because I am right.

Værn
03-16-2013, 01:12 PM

inb4 lions or some big cat, none of you people smurfing have one.

My cat has no front claws and still scares the crap out of every dog in the neighborhood. Your argument is invalid :colbert:

Mirage
03-16-2013, 01:31 PM
I have a lynx, actually. It could claw a great dane's eyes out no problem.

Mikztsu
03-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Always been one of them cat people. I can't be objective though, having never owned a dog. Wasn't objective before had my first cat and fell in love. Likely would happen with right dog too.

Bubba
03-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Go Dogs!

Has the poll finished yet?

NorthernChaosGod
03-17-2013, 03:02 AM
I have a lynx, actually. It could claw a great dane's eyes out no problem.

smurf your lynx, I have Insanity Wolf.

My cat has no front claws and still scares the crap out of every dog in the neighborhood. Your argument is invalid :colbert:

I don't believe that at all.

Formalhaut
03-17-2013, 03:06 AM
Annnd my vote now leaves it exactly 50/50. Fancy that.

I really like both, but I find my cat just straight adorable!

Tigmafuzz
03-17-2013, 02:22 PM

I've seen cats beat the living shit out of dogs before. Usually mothers protecting their babies or whatever, but still. They'll scratch the fuck out of those dogs' faces if they come too close.

mini ninja
03-17-2013, 03:32 PM
[/QUOTE]

I've seen cats beat the living trout out of dogs before. Usually mothers protecting their babies or whatever, but still. They'll scratch the smurf out of those dogs' faces if they come too close.[/QUOTE]

I would say this whole "cat vs dog argument" is pointless since every dog AND cat are different, which would make this "versus" argument endless... But as a dog person i must say that i like cats too, But dogs are more fun in my opinion.

Iceglow
03-17-2013, 11:01 PM
I would probably go for a cat to be honest. Dogs are cool and fun but a lot more high maintenance, my current life - work - home schedule and balance would fit a cat more.

NorthernChaosGod
03-19-2013, 08:42 AM

I've seen cats beat the living shit out of dogs before. Usually mothers protecting their babies or whatever, but still. They'll scratch the fuck out of those dogs' faces if they come too close.
They need claws for that.

Leeza
03-19-2013, 03:37 PM

I've seen cats beat the living trout out of dogs before. Usually mothers protecting their babies or whatever, but still. They'll scratch the smurf out of those dogs' faces if they come too close.
They don't necessarily need claws. A cat has attitude and it protects its territory. Dogs don't know that the cat has no claws and the cat probably doesn't realize this either. Their approach to the dog speaks all. No dog would come near my cat. She's start chasing them as soon as they came near our property line. And hissing, etc. Most dogs (unless they have never been scratched at all before) know how a cat scratches and they don't want any of it.

Slothy
03-19-2013, 04:25 PM

I've seen cats beat the living trout out of dogs before. Usually mothers protecting their babies or whatever, but still. They'll scratch the smurf out of those dogs' faces if they come too close.
They don't necessarily need claws. A cat has attitude and it protects its territory. Dogs don't know that the cat has no claws and the cat probably doesn't realize this either. Their approach to the dog speaks all. No dog would come near my cat. She's start chasing them as soon as they came near our property line. And hissing, etc. Most dogs (unless they have never been scratched at all before) know how a cat scratches and they don't want any of it.

Too true. I've known plenty of people with both dogs and cats in the home and you know what was true of all of them: the cat was clearly the one in charge and if it had any reason to put the dog in its place, it would and the dog would learn its lesson awfully fast. There is nothing more hilarious than seeing how much dogs will let a cat not even a quarter their size run the show.

Night Fury
03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Okay, I think we all know how this will all be settled.

You do remember who came out on top in this wee film eh?

Slothy
03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
You do remember who came out on top in this wee film eh?

Since i didn't tend to watch stupid childrens movies starring dogs, let alone watch them when I was 16, no I don't know who came out on top. But a children's movie proves nothing.

I've never seen an actual dog win a fight against a cat. They always turn tale and run. And if we expand our focus to variants of the species living in the wild then the scales only tip more in favour of cats. Wolves may be decently cool, but no one likes Coyotes, Hyenas or the like. But everyone loves Lions and Tigers. And either would tear into a wild dog and start eating it before it was even dead.

Shauna
03-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Man that movie was dumb. xD Why were the cats evil anyway?

Pheesh
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Cat supporters are just as annoying as cats.

NorthernChaosGod
03-19-2013, 09:06 PM

Too true. I've known plenty of people with both dogs and cats in the home and you know what was true of all of them: the cat was clearly the one in charge and if it had any reason to put the dog in its place, it would and the dog would learn its lesson awfully fast. There is nothing more hilarious than seeing how much dogs will let a cat not even a quarter their size run the show.

My dog gives zero fucks that our cat still has claws, he messes with her anyway. She's nearly as big as him.

Rebellious Eagle
03-20-2013, 01:45 AM
I've had cats my whole life and I love them to death. Going to college is going to be hard since no cats for me :(

TrollHunter
03-20-2013, 05:32 AM
People are still arguing over this...?

Calliope
06-23-2013, 08:08 AM
So, I am with a couple of doggies right now and they are the quietest, most mild mannered doggies I have ever seen, and they are also so cute and soft and I think I am going to cry I love doggies now :(

Del Murder
06-23-2013, 08:18 AM
The margin for dog's victory was much lower than it should have been. :colbert:

Chemical
06-23-2013, 02:26 PM
I just made it smaller, just to spite you.

Both are weird.
GbycvPwr1Wg
4fsSAPyHxJI

Bloodnight
06-27-2013, 07:28 PM
I have both, but as a person, who likes running I prefer dogs, cats are more of homebodies than dogs, by far. ;)

But they both are smart, cats are wayward ( just like humans ), if they don't obey, it doesn't mean they're stupid, like some people are saying.

Parrots are cool too! :D Too bad you can't teach your dog or cat how to talk.:(

Bloodnight
06-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Also, look at this :p

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/206/b/f/Final_Fantasy_by_emlan.png

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/257/2/a/Final_Fantasy_II_by_emlan.png

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/210/4/2/Final_Fantasy_III_DS_by_emlan.png

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs48/PRE/f/2009/214/6/3/Final_Fantasy_IV_DS_by_emlan.png

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs48/PRE/f/2009/215/0/3/Final_Fantasy_V_by_emlan.png

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/223/0/2/Final_Fantasy_VI_by_emlan.png

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/227/7/7/Final_Fantasy_VII_by_emlan.png

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/234/1/7/Final_Fantasy_IX_by_emlan.png

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs48/PRE/f/2009/231/3/8/Final_Fantasy_VIII___X_by_emlan.png