PDA

View Full Version : Pope Watch!

Shauna
03-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Join me as I watch a seagull sit on a chimney (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21758339)

Crazy folk, standing in the rain. What is their deal.

EDIT: Well, it only took like 3 minutes, but I am officially bored. I admire the dedication of those actually at the Sistine Chapel.

Anything people do that you find yourself amazed at their patience for?

Unbreakable Will
03-13-2013, 06:07 PM
That seagull has amazing stamina. With the dedication he has presented I feel that he should be the new pope.

Pike
03-13-2013, 06:21 PM
wow I had no idea people take this pope thing so seriously

Jinx
03-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I dunno. Cos it's a foundation of their religion, I guess.

Shorty
03-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Can we have Pope Day where we all walk around in funny robes and pope hats?

srs bzns

Tigmafuzz
03-13-2013, 06:28 PM
I like seagulls too. Can I be pope?

Shauna
03-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Can we have Pope Day where we all walk around in funny robes and pope hats?

I am already half way there! I have a homemade Pope hat in the house. Somewhere. https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285559_10150262940108139_6529244_n.jpg

...I wish my only pictures of this didn't include so many drunk people.

Aulayna
03-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Papal conclave: Live blog – is there smoke yet? | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/12/papal-conclave-live-blog-will-it-be-white-smoke-or-not-3537372/?ITO=facebook)

Unbreakable Will
03-13-2013, 06:47 PM
The seagull is gone. :cry:

Tigmafuzz
03-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Oh wait, nevermind. I forgot we Americans can't be pope because we're all heathens :cry:

Shorty
03-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Ridiculousness! I will be Pope if I please!

Tigmafuzz
03-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Apparently there's a pope now.

I bet he's old.

Psychotic
03-13-2013, 07:18 PM
It's me, you guys! I'm not going to lie, I would be a smurfing amazing Pope. You better smurfing believe I would Crusade the everloving smurf out of France.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-13-2013, 07:36 PM
If anything, you are an antipope Paul. SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

Psychotic
03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Oh, am I? Thanks! I've always wanted to be an antelope. :)

Tigmafuzz
03-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Oh boy, here it comes. About to open the doors.

Tigmafuzz
03-13-2013, 08:13 PM
A Jesuit pope from Argentina named Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who will take the name Francis.

what kind of name is francis

Psychotic
03-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Awww man, I hate Argentina.

krissy
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
The archbishop of Buenos Aires is a Jesuit intellectual who travels by bus and has a practical approach to poverty: when he was appointed a cardinal, Bergoglio persuaded hundreds of Argentinians not to fly to Rome to celebrate with him but instead to give the money they would have spent on plane tickets to the poor. He was a fierce opponent of Argentina's decision to legalise gay marriage in 2010, arguing children need to have the right to be raised and educated by a father and a mother. He was created a cardinal by John Paul II on 21 February 2001.

some things stay the same

Denmark
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm tellin you man, they introduced this New Pope

but in a couple weeks when Easter rolls around Benedict is gonna be all like "I'm back, bitches" and they'll revert to Pope Classic

Greatermaximus
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Pope

Skills

Summon: Deity

Madame Adequate
03-13-2013, 09:24 PM
My Lord!

We have received a report from foreign lands!

They report that the Pope in Rome has called a CRUSADE

Against out colony of The Falklands!

Our armies shall crush them beneath out boots!

krissy
03-13-2013, 09:24 PM
EZIO, THE POPE IS A TEMPLAR

Burtsplurt
03-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Meh, he looks the same as the last one. Maybe slightly less near death, and I have my suspicions about Catholic priests who wear tinted glasses.

Unbreakable Will
03-13-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm gonna miss Pope Palpatine and his pet seagull who shat continuously atop the chimney. :G

Shauna
03-13-2013, 11:38 PM
That seagull was a true hero. :(

Pheesh
03-13-2013, 11:42 PM
You just know that inside they were holding egg and spoon races and seeing who could hold their breath the longest in order to decide.

Unbreakable Will
03-13-2013, 11:44 PM
<a href="http://s1174.beta.photobucket.com/user/AralGamelon/media/neverforget_zpsf9df1f0a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r601/AralGamelon/neverforget_zpsf9df1f0a.jpg</a> (http://s1174.beta.photobucket.com/user/AralGamelon/media/keeperavi_zpsd86f17d4.jpg.html)

Shorty
03-14-2013, 02:49 AM
this seagull business is killing me xDD

Raistlin
03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
I found the seagull far more interesting than which old, bigoted white guy a bunch of other old, bigoted white guys would choose as the head old, bigoted white guy.

Bolivar
03-16-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm very happy they picked someone who really embodies a life of humility and service to others instead of someone who just talks about it. Especially during Lent, when we're welcoming new Catholics into the Church and hoping to be worthy of them joining us. Being Colombian myself, it's really awesome to see a Latin get the job. And a Jesuit to boot, whose big mission has always been bringing education to the masses and social justice and economic welfare to the disenfranchised. Pope Francis seems to embody a lot of the best things about the Catholic Church and has received praise for working with non-Catholic groups and advocating tolerance and respect for everyone. I'm looking forward to watching what he accomplishes.

Teek
03-17-2013, 12:23 AM
I'm very happy they picked someone who really embodies a life of humility and service to others instead of someone who just talks about it. Especially during Lent, when we're welcoming new Catholics into the Church and hoping to be worthy of them joining us. Being Colombian myself, it's really awesome to see a Latin get the job. And a Jesuit to boot, whose big mission has always been bringing education to the masses and social justice and economic welfare to the disenfranchised. Pope Francis seems to embody a lot of the best things about the Catholic Church and has received praise for working with non-Catholic groups and advocating tolerance and respect for everyone. I'm looking forward to watching what he accomplishes.This.

I mean, did we really expect a pope who would be pro-gay marriage, legalize abortion and allow female priests? Really?

He so far seems a hell of a lot more capable than the last pope and I have high hopes he will slowly help usher in a new era for the Church. But then, let's give him longer than a few days, at least, to do it.

Formalhaut
03-17-2013, 12:30 AM
I mean, did we really expect a pope who would be pro-gay marriage, legalize abortion and allow female priests? Really?

He so far seems a hell of a lot more capable than the last pope and I have high hopes he will slowly help usher in a new era for the Church. But then, let's give him longer than a few days, at least, to do it.

Eh. I agree. I didn't expect the pope of all people to be openly liberal. I guess it could have been worse, and this Pope does seem to be slightly more open and media savvy than the previous pope.

Doesn't mean I still like his view though. :p

Unbreakable Will
03-17-2013, 01:11 AM
I for one only like popes when they remind me of popular dark lords of the sith.
I don't like a lot of popes.
:monster:

Raistlin
03-17-2013, 09:05 PM

Of course not. But with those archaic views as the baseline, it's hard to take the church leadership as a whole seriously.

Jinx
03-17-2013, 09:34 PM

Of course not. But with those archaic views as the baseline, it's hard to take the church leadership as a whole seriously.

Except that's what their religion is founded on.

Regardless of whether or not people agree with it, the fact that people are getting upset there's an anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, and anti-women clergy kind of blows my mind. Really, what did you expect?

Raistlin
03-17-2013, 09:59 PM
I never said I was upset. I just said I don't take them remotely seriously as a moral authority, just like I don't take any the views of any organization stuck in the Middle Ages seriously. Just because no one expected any differently does not bizarrely make them immune from criticism; that would seem to only justify more criticism if no one expects them to change on their own.

And I even specified "leadership," because there are plenty of reasonable Catholics out there who don't share those views.

blackmage_nuke
03-17-2013, 10:11 PM
I assume this is like a Headmaster of Hogwarts dealie and by resigning instead of dying as pope he doesnt get his portrait up in the Pope office.

Unbreakable Will
03-18-2013, 01:30 AM
He also doesn't get his own popemobile in heaven.

Bolivar
03-18-2013, 03:03 AM
And I even specified "leadership," because there are plenty of reasonable Catholics out there who don't share those views.

Your ability to acknowledge this makes me wonder why you say such sweeping generalizations about the Church. Because when I go to hear the Archbishop of Philadelphia preach every weekend, I don't recall hearing any of the negative stuff you guys talk about. In fact, I'd say you'd fit right in, Raistlin :beer:

I didn't expect the pope of all people to be openly liberal.

It depends on your definition of liberalism. If you're talking about social justice, compassion for the poor, and harmony across all divisions, you'd be hard pressed to find someone more liberal than this guy.

Except that's what their religion is founded on.

Our religion is founded on kindness and compassion towards others. All else is small peanuts, really.

Jinx
03-18-2013, 03:39 AM
I was raised Christian my whole life. I've read nearly all the Bible. If you're saying legalism isn't a key component of Christianity, then you aren't reading your Bible properly, sorry.

Unbreakable Will
03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Yeah I had Southern Baptist upbringing that thankfully did not stay, mostly because I can think for myself, and I heard on a daily basis bigotry, bigotry, fire and brimstone, love of god, bigotry, infighting bigotry. Not just one church, several. I believe in God but organized religion can suck a big one and so can judgement and persecution of others for that matter.

Bolivar
03-18-2013, 04:55 PM
I was raised Christian my whole life. I've read nearly all the Bible. If you're saying legalism isn't a key component of Christianity, then you aren't reading your Bible properly, sorry.

Actually, last week's Gospel was the story of the prodigal son, which is about how people with strong legalist opinions are usually just as far away from God as those they're trying to condemn.

C'mon Sam, I know you're better than "you disagree so your interpretation is wrong."

Pheesh
03-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Everything after that last image of the seagull needs to be taken out of here and dumped into an EoEO thread where it belongs :colbert:

Jinx
03-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Actually, last week's Gospel was the story of the prodigal son, which is about how people with strong legalist opinions are usually just as far away from God as those they're trying to condemn.

C'mon Sam, I know you're better than "you disagree so your interpretation is wrong."

The prodigal son isn't about legalism. It's theme is that if you turn from God, you can always come back and be forgiven.

Dude, I am just saying what is written plainly in the Bible. It's not even about interpretation. You can't interpret blatant words. I used to read a looooooot of the Bible every day. And the Bible itself says that you can't pick and choose what to believe.

Yes, you CAN focus more on the love bits. But you can't forget the God's wrath bits. Or the part where JESUS HIMSELF SAYS that a Christian is judge saved on their fruits--how they act, and how they turn from sin.

Shorty
03-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Everything after that last image of the seagull needs to be taken out of here and dumped into an EoEO thread where it belongs :colbert:

Feelup is right. This is steering a little off-topic from the original Pope Watch discussion.

You guys are welcome to make a thread in EoEo about policies of the church and interpretation of the bible, etc.

Denmark
03-18-2013, 05:13 PM
so i heard the pope was catholic is that true

Shoden
03-18-2013, 09:19 PM
So yeah I heard the Thatcher wannabe from Argentina wants to use the Pope and his stance on the Falklands from when he was a cardinal to try and force a claim on them. Hopefully he gives her a good old fashioned Popeslap which is like a pimpslap but with a bit more holy in it. The two clashed in the past apparently.

Still, I think that Seagull was robbed, surely his efforts must be realised to the point where he is allowed to lead a whole church.

Seagulls over there are surely more civil than the ones here which spend most of their free time lying, cheating, desecrating cars AND WORST OF ALL, STEALING GREGGS PASTIES FROM PEOPLE.
Seagulls all over the world should take of this, holy, bird's behaviour!

krissy
03-18-2013, 11:40 PM
sounds like a personal pastry vendetta there
do you wanna talk about it?

Unbreakable Will
03-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Pastry theft is nothing to hold back, let the authorities know and get some counseling. With a bit of hope you can learn to purchase one again. :greenie:

NorthernChaosGod
03-19-2013, 05:50 AM
So yeah I heard the Thatcher wannabe from Argentina wants to use the Pope and his stance on the Falklands from when he was a cardinal to try and force a claim on them. Hopefully he gives her a good old fashioned Popeslap which is like a pimpslap but with a bit more holy in it. The two clashed in the past apparently.

Still, I think that Seagull was robbed, surely his efforts must be realised to the point where he is allowed to lead a whole church.

Seagulls over there are surely more civil than the ones here which spend most of their free time lying, cheating, desecrating cars AND WORST OF ALL, STEALING GREGGS PASTIES FROM PEOPLE.
Seagulls all over the world should take of this, holy, bird's behaviour!
So someone stole your sweet roll?