PDA

View Full Version : How nerdy are your parents?

Night Fury
03-16-2013, 07:20 PM
My mam has just spammed my Facebook wall with a load of Dr Who trailers. She knows I haven't even watched it since Tennant left.

Over Christmas my dad made me sit and ask him EVERY single question in his Star Wars trivia card set thing, just to show me he would get them all right - he did. It was the most tedious day of all time.

I clearly had no chance of not becoming a nerd with this upbringing.

So, how nerdy are your parents?

Jinx
03-16-2013, 07:29 PM
My mom has seen every episode of Star Trek and TNG. She's currently trucking through Doctor Who. She watches/reads Game of Thrones, and has read all of the Harry Potter books several times. She can recite most lines to Lord of the Rings. She and I have seriously discussed whether we'd be Sith or Jedi.

My dad has probably over 10k comic books. He knows basically everything about every superhero ever. He loves Star Trek and Star Wars.

Agent Proto
03-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Not very much so. My dad was pretty nerdy though, he owned a bunch of Star Trek novels, and was also part of some online roleplaying game based on Star Trek. He tried to get me involved at one point, but I tried to avoid it altogether. D:

Pike
03-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Both of my parents played a shitton of videogames back in the 80s. They are who got me into it. They also got me into Star Trek at a very early age. They have both since retired from the vidya but my dad still loves Star Trek. He even got a custom license plate for his truck that says "ENTPRZE".

Laddy
03-16-2013, 07:54 PM
My dad collected comic books, loves Star Trek and Lord of the Rings, is a huge fan of 90's WRPG's, and likes INXS.

My dad is a bit of a nerd.

Calliope
03-16-2013, 07:56 PM
My parents bought me a Sega Master System II for my fifth or sixth birthday, months in advance. It was pre-loaded with Alex Kidd in Miracle World, and after trying it out and dying pretty quickly, I handed it to my Dad, who proceeded to play the entire game through with no problem. He had secretly been waiting each night until I was asleep, and then would get the Master System out, plug it in, and spend hours playing the game xD. Later he would introduce me to FF7, and there you go.

My mother possesses no nerdy inclinations whatsoever.

Laddy
03-16-2013, 08:04 PM
I forgot, my dad used to play Guild Wars quite a bit and he could play Guitar Hero on Hard back when that was a thing.

Heath
03-16-2013, 08:07 PM
My dad was the one who got me into computer games, though I'd say that I played a lot more than he ever did. He tended to play more casually, probably completing only a couple of games a year. I remember being able seven or so helping him play the original Tomb Raider by reading bits of the strategy guide out to him.

Psychotic
03-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Not particularly, they're a bit more old-fashioned to be nerds. They like things like history, politics, ancestry and knitting. So sort of nerdy but not in a traditional sense. We're talkin' old school nerdery up in here.

Rantz
03-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Not particularly, they're a bit more old-fashioned to be nerds. They like things like history, politics, ancestry and knitting. So sort of nerdy but not in a traditional sense. We're talkin' old school nerdery up in here.

Yeah pretty much this.

Tigmafuzz
03-16-2013, 09:22 PM
My what?

Parker
03-16-2013, 09:30 PM
my parents are remotely nerdy

once got my dad to play rayman until he got a blister on his thumb tho

Leeza
03-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Well... my Mom died when I was only 13 and she was way too busy just taking care of us kids, etc. My Dad... pretty much the same as my Mom. Busy with making a living, although I know that they both liked to read. I would say that I am probably as old as most of your parents and I'm here, so that alone makes me nerdy. And it was me that introduced Skye-chan to Final Fantasy and gaming, and in turn she introduced me to EoFF. Nerds all around. :cat:

Teek
03-16-2013, 11:23 PM
My dad is not nerdy in the least. My mom probably WOULD have been a nerd, had circumstances permitted. She admits she found things like D&D in high school a little weird. She did play arcade games and whatnot, though. And she likes some of the music of my videogame soundtracks.

But nope, I have to saddle this burden alone :(

Formalhaut
03-16-2013, 11:32 PM
I don't know my dad, but my mum is definitely NOT a nerd. Far from it. She can barely operate her laptop, which she bought as a birthday present for her 47th birthday, and is for all intents and purposes the first time she's ever really used a computer. She's abit slow with the T.V remote as well; something I always rib her for.

Nerdiness doesn't really run in the family to be fair. I'd say I'm really the only one.

fire_of_avalon
03-16-2013, 11:42 PM
My dad played video games with us through the PS1 era and I clearly remember him beating The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past when I was a kid.

He also has incredible knowledge about American classic cars. And he likes cartoons. That's about it, I guess. I don't know what my mom does or did.

Unbreakable Will
03-17-2013, 01:17 AM
Not even slightly. My uncle was my saving grace from becoming a monotonous robot.

Cloudane
03-17-2013, 03:29 AM
Geeky, rather than nerdy. But let's see.

We have 8 desktops and 5 laptops in active use

Both were big Trek fans back in the TNG days

They were into ham radio back in a day and ran a packet radio station

Nowadays my dad runs a weather station
My mum is max level hardcore player in WoW
They're 60 and 59.

Pretty geeky.

Formalhaut
03-17-2013, 03:41 AM
My mum is max level hardcore player in WoW
They're 60 and 59.

Oh what, in level?

Cloudane
03-17-2013, 03:44 AM
Ohoho~
My dad hasn't played WoW for ages
Those are age. I have no idea what the top level is in WoW these days, 90 or something? She's up there.

escobert
03-17-2013, 04:16 AM
My dad has played video games as long as I can remember. My mom only plays facebook games. Neither is very nerdy however.

Oh my dad does love him some Star Trek 1st gen. and both read books daily.

Freya
03-17-2013, 04:17 AM
My mom is a trekkie. My dad isn't a nerd at all. Neither play games but ive been surrounded by nerd media my whole life.
Actually that's a lie my mom now has a 3DS and plays puzzle games and angry birds. But if its too complicated she cant play it.

Depression Moon
03-17-2013, 04:28 AM
You know how rare it is to find a nerd in the hood
Imagine how rare it is to find old nerds in the hood

Shiny
03-17-2013, 07:53 AM
My dad was some what of a gamer, but not to the extent that my brother and I are. He also collects RC model airplanes and has a flight simulator on his computer to practice with before he uses the real thing. In addition to that, he is a car hobbyist -- collects remote control cars that he races on his track, or the hobby shop tracks. Many of the cars he owns he made himself and painted them.

My mom on the other hand, is an interior design nerd. She'll watch home improvement shows to get decorating ideas. I don't know if that counts as nerdy. I guess the more traditional nerd side of her would be her profession of wearing a lab coat and looking through a telescope.

maybee
03-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Mum. Not nerdy at all. She hates comic books, video games, and the like.

Dad. He's quite the nerd yeah, he loves to study about history and World War II, loves video games, however he can't stand comics.

G13
03-17-2013, 09:33 AM
My parents are not my version of nerdy. Neither play video games or read books or watch sci-fi movies or anything fun. My mom knits, and my dad, I dunno, does whatever old people do in Florida. Complain about the heat?

I remember once my dad overheard a friend and I in an in-depth discussion about Star Wars and he busts into the room shouting "OH BOY, THAT CAPTAIN KIRK SURE WAS A HELL OF AN ACTOR!"

Mirage
03-17-2013, 09:56 AM
My dad listened to electronic music when he was young, apparently, but that's about the extent of it.

Oh wait, he used to be an audiophile. That's nerdy, right?

Shlup
03-17-2013, 10:59 AM
My dad has a computery job and my mom has read A Song of Ice and Fire. That's about it.

Shauna
03-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Dad likes Star Trek and Star Wars and many other sci-fi nonsense, anime, video games (he kicks my butt at Worms Armageddon)... yeah, he's a bit of a nerd. :p
Mum is slightly less, but she still enjoys a lot of nerdy stuff. :3

Pheesh
03-17-2013, 12:46 PM
My Dad used to play Crash Team Racing while I was away staying with my mum during the week. I'd go to his place and he would actually beat me on occasion. That's the most he's ever been interested in video games though.

Tigmafuzz
03-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Geeky, rather than nerdy.

People that actually care about the distinction between what constitutes a "geek" or a "nerd" are, in fact, both :p

Calliope
03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Has anyone ever handed their parent either a console gaming controller, or a handheld console, and watched them try to play a platformer? Do they jump/move side-to-side as their characters do? Parents just don't understand.

Teek
03-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Has anyone ever handed their parent either a console gaming controller, or a handheld console, and watched them try to play a platformer? Do they jump/move side-to-side as their characters do? Parents just don't understand.Back when FFX was new, I was playing it out in the front room but had to run to do something. I gave the controller to my mom who was in the same room, who looked terrified. "Just press that X button if nothing happens. I'll be right here."

"I don't know what I'm doing!"

I sighed. "They're just talking, Mom. I'll tell you to move if you have to."

Well, it turns out I was slightly longer than I expected, and she did start moving forward, but the way she handled the directional pad was hilarious: she tried to actually hold the stick, as in, pinched it between two fingers, like an old-school arcade stick.

I died laughing, it was great.

Unbreakable Will
03-17-2013, 04:27 PM
I used to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the Ps2 with my stepdad and he did the same thing with the analog stick that Teeks mum did, pinching it between two fingers. :D

He never understood how he could never win.

Formalhaut
03-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Has anyone ever handed their parent either a console gaming controller, or a handheld console, and watched them try to play a platformer? Do they jump/move side-to-side as their characters do? Parents just don't understand.Back when FFX was new, I was playing it out in the front room but had to run to do something. I gave the controller to my mom who was in the same room, who looked terrified. "Just press that X button if nothing happens. I'll be right here."

Haven't you heard of the pause button?

Night Fury
03-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Haven't you heard of the pause button?

No man, he ran out to get something to escape the tedious talking scene if it was FFX. :lol:

Teek
03-17-2013, 05:32 PM
No man, he ran out to get something to escape the tedious talking scene if it was FFX. :lol:
Mostly this.

It was my second time through, it was that part where there's some giant battle going on on a beach (I can't remember now, Miihen Highroad?) and I wanted to get something done really quick.

I missed nothing. :D

Formalhaut
03-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Oh, Operation Mi'hen in Mushroom Rock Road?

Yeah, to be fair, that entire section dragged on abit for me. I don't blame you passing the controller!

Jinx
03-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Unless you want to see a cutscene, there's no reason to worry with this game. Because of the battle system, you don't even have to pause when you leave the room. Same with the scenes, and just standing there.

Cloudane
03-17-2013, 06:40 PM
That can be a useful way of using the analog stick, for example during the chocobo race :p

Some would argue that FFX basically *is* one long tedious talking scene.
I like it but it does get annoying losing to Seymour and having to listen to him prattling on about the spiral of death for half an hour for the 7th time!

Mirage
03-17-2013, 07:50 PM
I didn't even think you actually had a pause thingie during battle in 10.

Jinx
03-17-2013, 09:46 PM
I didn't even think you actually had a pause thingie during battle in 10.

It does. Basically the music stops playing (I think.) I think it's more for time logs than anything?

Denmark
03-17-2013, 11:48 PM
how dare you hijack this thread into a thread about FINAL FANTASY you nerds

my parents spend as much time online as I do. my dad has a master's degree in chemistry and my mom has a bachelor's in spanish.

they're kinda nerdy.

theundeadhero
03-18-2013, 04:10 AM
Neither are nerdy enough to be worth mentioning.

Aulayna
03-18-2013, 12:15 PM
My Mum isn't really that nerdy. I think she was more of my musical influence than anything else. She did like Buffy and Angel though.

I think it was my Dad who was responsible for most of my nerdiness. He got me my first console and also brought me up on the likes of Star Trek, Thunderbirds, Dr Who (the originals, this was many years before Ecclestone/Tennant and so on) etc. My Uncle was also very big into Star Wars and table top games and TCGs so that rubbed off on me.

Shorty
03-18-2013, 05:37 PM
My dad is a sci-fi and film geek. Strangely enough, though, we weren't raised on Star Trek or anything. He took me and my cousin to see a re-release of A New Hope when we were really little - I couldn't have been more than five. He had boxes and boxes and boxes of sci-fi books and magazines (http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/) and a ton of sci-fi stories he'd written on his computer (I've found a couple online that were published in magazines and books; I love stumbling across my father's writing). One book in particular that always stood out to me was Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials (http://www.amazon.com/Barlowes-Guide-Extraterrestrials-Science-Literature/dp/0894803247). (I tried to look for a copy of my own years ago, only to find it was discontinued, but thanks to Amazon I was able to obtain one!) He also had a lot of Isaac Asimov books. A lot. I definitely get my sci-fi and film love from him, and thank god for that. I don't remember him ever really playing video games with us, but he would get us games he thought we would like.

My mom is not geeky or nerdy in any sense of either of the words. She was a pristine home-making, interior decorating, furniture re-upholstering wife who grew intensely irritated with her children if we spent longer than thirty minutes playing video games. She also wanted to take away all my Goosebumps books because she didn't like what they were about.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-19-2013, 06:47 AM
My dad watched DBZ with me as a kid. Also, both my parents are into Merlin and stuff. My dad more than my mom enjoys the fantasy and sci-fi stuff. Need to force them to watch Game of Thrones...

NorthernChaosGod
03-19-2013, 08:37 AM
My parents don't really do any nerdy things anymore. :(

When I was younger I used to play NES games with my a lot. And he used to draw a lot of DBZ characters, so I assume he watched at some point.

Sephex
03-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Please forgive the quality of the pictures. There is no good source of light where these were taken and the best camera I have is on my cell phone. This is a fraction of what is all over my parent's house. My dad enjoys to collect things occasionally. Also, yes, he needs to dust once in awhile. Spoiler tag for size and the amount of pics.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/2013-03-19_15-48-24_66_zps24cebbc1.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/2013-03-19_15-48-50_216_zps0245cc5d.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/2013-03-19_15-48-57_795_zpsea80e72c.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/2013-03-19_15-49-12_883_zpsd8af07c0.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/2013-03-19_15-49-26_516_zps2bf1470f.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/2013-03-19_15-49-35_997_zps69e712d8.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/2013-03-19_15-50-10_80_zps19de49b8.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/2013-03-19_15-50-46_177_zpsbd650663.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/2013-03-19_15-52-08_847_zps9487563a.jpg

Jinx
03-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Sephex's dad wins this thread.

Calliope
03-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Sephex, I feel a vague urge to cry and call whoever makes that Hoarders TV show.

marrylessey1694
03-20-2013, 05:37 AM
100 % nerds is me.

Teek
03-20-2013, 06:01 AM
My mom is not geeky or nerdy in any sense of either of the words. She was a pristine home-making, interior decorating, furniture re-upholstering wife who grew intensely irritated with her children if we spent longer than thirty minutes playing video games. She also wanted to take away all my Goosebumps books because she didn't like what they were about.Your dad must be extremely attractive; I wonder how their marriage works out.

(Or their, you know, being together).

Araciel
03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
My mom read like every Piers Anthony and Anne McCaffrey book ever, tested the NES before getting us one for christ-mass and played the trout out of Final Fantasy, thus being responsible for my being on this site right now.

My dad watched Star Trek TNG with me every week when I was a baby James and it was epic - he also loved Star Wars, all comic book movies and tv shows - watched x men and spider man cartoons with us. He told me once he was way into archaeology when he was a kid and loved Greek mythology and whatnot, so when he saw my D&D stuff, he didn't understand most of it but could name like every sick monster and its history/powers.

Shorty
03-21-2013, 12:04 AM
My mom is not geeky or nerdy in any sense of either of the words. She was a pristine home-making, interior decorating, furniture re-upholstering wife who grew intensely irritated with her children if we spent longer than thirty minutes playing video games. She also wanted to take away all my Goosebumps books because she didn't like what they were about.Your dad must be extremely attractive; I wonder how their marriage works out.

(Or their, you know, being together).

They've been divorced for twelve years.

Pheesh
03-21-2013, 12:45 AM
:tumble2:

escobert
03-21-2013, 01:27 AM
I recently found this picture of my dad at about the same age I am now. Maybe a couple years younger. He's to the right and my aunt and uncle to the left.