PDA

View Full Version : What is the longest you have been stuck in an airport?

Pike
03-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Four hours in Denver between flights reporting in. I have like two more hours to go and I am super bored.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO WHEN YOU ARE STUCK IN AN AIRPORT?

Shorty
03-20-2013, 06:03 PM
February 2012. Missed my 3:30 flight because I was in the middle of an interview that went three hours longer than I thought it would (and I didn't get the job goddamnit). Arrived at the Oakland airport at 5:30pm to find that there were no outgoing flights to Phoenix that were not a million dollars until the next morning at 6:30am.

You haven't been through hell until you've spent the night (13 hours) on a cushion at the Oakland airport.

fire_of_avalon
03-20-2013, 06:07 PM
A couple of hours. I'm lucky I guess.

Calliope
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
About eight hours. I downed whiskey, ate french fries, worshipped vonnegut, and zoomed around an empty upper floor on a trolley.

Araciel
03-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Maybe an hr our two..Flying sucks and I rarely do it.

Madame Adequate
That's bad Sarah D:

My longest is like six or seven hours.

Denmark
in an airport, not terribly long i don't think. 4-5 hours sounds right.

i've really only been stuck overnight due to something that's been the airline's fault, so we got put up in a hotel on their dime. :]

Pike
03-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Maybe an hr our two..Flying sucks and I rarely do it.

Actually being on the airplane is great but all the other extra stuff is pretty sucky.

Araciel
03-20-2013, 06:31 PM
You're clearly normal-sized.

Pike
03-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Under-sized! 5'2" here :}

CimminyCricket
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Spent 24 hours in an airport on two separate occasions.

Denmark
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
consider yourself lucky

i know james has it worse because he's a giant but even i have the right to complain

(that was at pike but i got sniped)

Agent Proto
03-20-2013, 06:51 PM
I had twice stayed overnight at an airport because my family had missed a flight both times. :(

Psychotic
03-20-2013, 07:03 PM
I've posted this story so many times but: 48 hours, Newark Airport, New fucking Jersey.

What did I do? How did I survive?

well

let's just say that was the day I earned my user name. I still have PTSD and flashbacks about that shit.

Parker
03-20-2013, 09:23 PM
about 5 hours in Detroit I think. which is about 4h55m more than most people can stand being in detroit

Shorty
03-20-2013, 09:25 PM
shit I couldn't stand to be in detroit for longer than two minutes

Unbreakable Will
03-21-2013, 12:19 AM
I once had to wait an incredible amount of time to pick up my moms car from the airport. There was some jackass who parked juuuust so, behind our goddamn cars where there was clearly no smurfing parking spot, leaving myself and two other motorists stranded for two hours until a tow truck could come and tow his car to the impound. I say impound but I sincerely hope to this very day that it was car hell and the owner never saw his lovely souped up piece of trout again.

Faris
03-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Only because I like to be insanely early when flying, a few hours. I bring things to keep me well entertained though.

Jowy
03-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Three hours.

Pheesh
03-21-2013, 12:59 AM
We were supposed to have a 15 hour layover or something in Singapore on the way back home from USA. But we asked the front desk and they moved us to an earlier flight, only ended up waiting 3 hours. I think my longest was 6, I slept.

Bunny
03-21-2013, 01:00 AM
6 hours, I think.

I missed a flight due to the airline fucking something up and had to transfer to another flight that wasn't until later in the day. It was annoying.

At least DIA is a good airport.

Madame Adequate
03-21-2013, 01:51 AM
consider yourself lucky

i know james has it worse because he's a giant but even i have the right to complain

(that was at pike but i got sniped)

I like flying but yeah 6'3" here and I sorely wish I could afford 1%er class seats because it's truly awful.

Pumpkin
03-21-2013, 03:52 AM
4 or 5 hours, I think. One of my flights got cancelled once so I had to wait until 6:30 the next morning... Okay cancelled isn't exactly it. I was flying from Ottawa to Toronto, it was fine. Then it was Toronto to Boston. Well we were flying over Boston and there was a storm so we turned around and went back to Montreal. And from there we went back to Toronto. I hate flying so this was awful.

So I had to stay overnight but the airline booked me a hotel room. The bad part was it was on the top floor and I am terrified of heights, so I got barely any sleep that night and had an early flight. Plus I didn't know my way around so that contributed to the stress.

Rebellious Eagle
03-21-2013, 05:01 AM
About 10 hours? It was this past November on the school music trip to Germany. It was just after Sandy hit so flights were backed up and ours was delayed for 5 hours.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Only because I like to be insanely early when flying, a few hours. I bring things to keep me well entertained though.

I also like to do this. I hate being late for anything, but the idea of being late for a plane makes me start to twitch. One time I actually got there early enough that the gate attendant bumped me up to an earlier flight for free. That let me get to my connecting flight extra early too. :jess:

I think the longest layover I had was 5-6 hours, but that was a long time ago.

Night Fury
03-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Like 4 hours at Heathrow when I was traveling to Mexico. It was okay. I have a 6 hour one when I got to Australia though, it will be either truly horrible because I'm on my own, or truly amazing because I'm on my own and nobody will nag me to go to certain places - or just be nagging at me.

Aulayna
03-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Spent about 8 hours in Heathrow one time when I came back from LA and booked the last flight back to Cork to give me leeway if there was a delay at LA... which there wasn't... most boring 8 hours of my life as it was in the crappy domestic flights terminal which has like nothing in it :p

XxSephirothxX
03-21-2013, 10:15 PM
I've never had an especially bad airport experience. The only long waits I've had have been traveling with people who want to arrive insanely early, which was understandable for the few years post-9/11 when security was a real nightmare. I've probably had to sit around for 3 hours or so.

And I'd much prefer sitting in an airport to sitting on a plane. I'm about 6'1", which isn't especially tall, but it's tall enough to make legspace a constant annoyance. Someday I'll fly first class. Someday.

Cloudane
03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
I think it was about 10 hours. Monarch plane - first they couldn't start it, then it sprung a leak. Annoying, and every 4 hours or so they gave us a £5 voucher for a "meal" (£5 in an airport will get you a bag of crisps and maybe a mars bar if you're lucky)
However I'd rather they spend however many hours is necessary making 100% sure the plane is safe than have it drop out of the air.

It was an expensive delay as I ended up browsing Currys Digital and getting a tablet duty-free :p

Iceglow
03-22-2013, 01:18 PM
6 hours, we couldn't get a train early enough to go to the airport in the morning and the last train we could book the night prior was at like midnight. Stanstead airport sucks sometimes, I sat down listening to Absolut radio and even got them to play a song for me by texting in. My ex, slept with her head on my lap meaning I was stuck on a cold metal bench for 6 hours. I stole the cleaners power socket and plugged my laptop in to the mains, using the seat next to me and my hand luggage I was able to play Dwarf Fortress.

Cuchulainn
03-22-2013, 01:37 PM
I've a glorious 15 hour wait in Newark to look forward to.

Rantz
03-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Probably 6 or 7 hours. Being in a rush is a much worse experience, though, at least to me. When I went to the US and back I cut it close with pretty much every single flight. I never want to run that much ever again.

Another bad flight experience was when my luggage ended up on the wrong flight. I came home to middle-of-winter Sweden from middle-of-summer Argentina wearing nothing but a button-up shirt and chinos, and had to wait outside in the snow for a train. It was the coldest I've ever been.

KoShiatar
03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Summer 2011, Frankfurt airport. I should have had a flight around 8 pm , but despite getting email confirmation and all, my booking had not gone through. I had to spend the whole night in the airport until the next available flight to Italy at 7 in the morning.
I was pretty desperate but it went better than I thought. At night there's always people and police around and some bars only close half an hour to clean out and sell things to eat all night. I also had my Kindle with the Game of Thrones books on it, so plenty to read.

I Took the Red Pill
03-23-2013, 04:11 PM
7 hour layover in Manila on the way to Saigon. It was cool though, the airline had an area with comfy chairs and outlets set up so I jacked in the laptop and watched enough of The Wire to start talking like D'Angelo Barksdale

Pike
03-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Being in a rush is a much worse experience, though, at least to me. When I went to the US and back I cut it close with pretty much every single flight. I never want to run that much ever again.

oh man. That was totally me when I had to changeover in Chicago to get on my flight to the UK.

SUPPOSEDLY I had 45 minutes but in reality by the time I got off the first plane I had about 15 and I had to run to the other end of the stupid concourse. It was like that part in Home Alone.