PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy V Remake confirmed for Smartphone

Wolf Kanno
03-21-2013, 05:03 AM
A few years ago Square-Enix teased a remake of Final Fantasy V. They have no just released the first screenshots of the this game...

The game is apparently going to be a graphical remake of FFV Advance but using a graphical style closer to Final Fantasy Dimensions. Not much else has been released concerning any other new content but the GBA port of FFV did introduce four new job classes and a new super dungeon. The game still uses redrawn Amano character portraits to show who is talking in dialogue sequence.

The game is slated for the end of March for iOS and Android in the summer. Eyeson will have all of your coverage for this remake of a timeless class. Until then, enjoy one last screenshot!

[Source: Silconera (http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/20/final-fantasy-v-gets-dimensions-style-make-over-for-ios-and-android/)]

maybee
03-21-2013, 08:07 AM
I think that a 3DS remake would of been so much better and worth buying for than a new character sprite that looks like it came straight out of RPG Maker XV. :roll2

ShinGundam
03-21-2013, 08:42 AM
I think that a 3DS remake would of been so much better and worth buying for than a new character sprite that looks like it came straight out of RPG Maker XV. :roll2
Sadly, even it has better sprite work, it will still look like an RPG maker game.

the_best_noob
03-21-2013, 11:59 AM
I despise this. Not because I don't want an FFV remake, it means that there will inevitably be an FFVI remake. :(

Gamblet
03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Bartz still looks like a woman.. Why Amano, why?

Mirage
03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Because why not?

I'll probably get this.

Goldenboko
03-21-2013, 03:11 PM

I actually really enjoy the text system they seem to have implemented. Haters gonna hate I suppose :monster:

FFIX Choco Boy
03-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Now where's my FFIX International 3D HD remake with extra content, and expansion upon Vivi, Freya, and Amarant's stories?

Mirage
03-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Won't happen cause prerendered backgrounds look terrible when upscaled and remaking them all would take a fuckton of work.

VeloZer0
03-21-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm glad that SE is committed to this sprite art style that I hate so much. :(

Why not in 3D like FF3 and FF4? IMO those were the best products SE has made in a decade.

Elpizo
03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Where's my 3D remake?!

Mirage
03-21-2013, 05:43 PM
FF3 and 4 looked like shit in 3D.

Elpizo
03-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Only because the DS wasn't a very powerful 3D console. 3DS would look far better. In any case, it would be better than another slightly-updated-sprites-port that won't even have the advantage of including an interlude and sequel in the package like FF IV: TCC. If that were the case, sure, I'd be more lenient. This, though? Doesn't look all that great so far. In fact, I'd say those sprites look worse than the original. They aren't even giving us the high-res sprites from the PSP ports, the hell?!

Fynn
03-21-2013, 06:00 PM
I actually prefer these sprites to the FFIV PSP ones. They look a lot like the classic ones, just HD. Also, judging by Dimensions, these will look much better on retina.

Mirage
03-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Only if the resolution of the sprites is increased. Retina won't magically create image data out of nothing.

Fynn
03-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Only if the resolution of the sprites is increased. Retina won't magically create image data out of nothing.

I think it is. I know Dimensions looked loads better on my iPhone than on any screenshot I had seen before that. So there you go.

Jowy
03-21-2013, 07:19 PM
I'd rather be doing this on something that isn't my cell phone. Was hoping for the PSP treatment like FFIV got.

Fynn
03-21-2013, 07:24 PM
I need to counteract all the hate in these comments :)

I love the little touches to the interface, like the dialogue frames as well as ATB bars being so stylized.

Rebellious Eagle
03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Why does it have to be iOS though? I've got no room on my ipod for a game that big, plus I don't like gaming on it either...sigh. 3DS would have been a better choice.

Mirage
03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
You can get it on android too!

Elpizo
03-21-2013, 08:22 PM
I actually prefer these sprites to the FFIV PSP ones. They look a lot like the classic ones, just HD. Also, judging by Dimensions, these will look much better on retina.

I have to disagree with that. These don't look HD. The monster sprites show barely any difference from the original, and the character sprites are simply in a different form, but the resolution, detail or pixels or whatever don't look much better than the GBA port, let alone as high as the PSP ports. Whether one likes the style of the PSP ports or not, they did provide some very clean and HD sprites (I don't really see what's wrong with the IV: TCC sprites, they provided a nice mix of the classic sprites and the DS character models, and the monsters were gorgeous). This, however, looks more like a step to the side than a step forward.

Fynn
03-21-2013, 08:49 PM

I have to disagree with that. These don't look HD. The monster sprites show barely any difference from the original, and the character sprites are simply in a different form, but the resolution, detail or pixels or whatever don't look much better than the GBA port, let alone as high as the PSP ports. Whether one likes the style of the PSP ports or not, they did provide some very clean and HD sprites (I don't really see what's wrong with the IV: TCC sprites, they provided a nice mix of the classic sprites and the DS character models, and the monsters were gorgeous). This, however, looks more like a step to the side than a step forward.

Apart from looking like a generic Korean MMO and the inconsistencies between portraits?

Anyway, like I said, Dimensions didn't look like much from the screenshots, but you would not spot a single pixel there.

Elpizo
03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Apart from looking like a generic Korean MMO and the inconsistencies between portraits?

Anyway, like I said, Dimensions didn't look like much from the screenshots, but you would not spot a single pixel there.

You do realise that everybody who hasn't played a single Korean in their lives (such as me) will find that a moot point, yes? Hardly a big complaint there. (What does a Korean RPG even look like and why does it qualify as "bad" when something looks like it?) Even so, "generic" doesn't equal "bad". Also, what are these portrait inconsistencies you talk of? The only one I could kind of see is Cecil's, with long hair in portrait and overworld sprite, but short hair in his battle sprite. The others all looked pretty good. Mind you I've yet to play the After Years.

Fynn
03-21-2013, 10:14 PM

You do realise that everybody who hasn't played a single Korean in their lives (such as me) will find that a moot point, yes? Hardly a big complaint there. (What does a Korean RPG even look like and why does it qualify as "bad" when something looks like it?) Even so, "generic" doesn't equal "bad". Also, what are these portrait inconsistencies you talk of? The only one I could kind of see is Cecil's, with long hair in portrait and overworld sprite, but short hair in his battle sprite. The others all looked pretty good. Mind you I've yet to play the After Years.

Never said it was bad, as you noticed, I said it was generic. I personally prefer these sprites as they really seem more like the original ones but smoothed-out.
Cecil's hair is not the only problem. I generally noticed how they do not base the overworld and battle sprites or the portraits on a single piece of artwork, but on different ones, which was much the case in the original, but that was over 20 years ago. Such inconsistencies I find unacceptable now, especially after the glorious in terms of style DS remake. TAY was fine, though.
I'm not saying the FFIV:CC style is objectively bad, heck, I don't even personally think it's bad. I just feel much more at home with this. I probably would have preferred a full-blown 3DS remake, akin to the DS version of FFIV, but this is satisfactory to me. I enjoyed Dimensions immensely, and like I said, the style here is very much like that of the SNES-era games, but just smoother. Also, I love everything Amano, so bigger, nicer portraits based on his artwork make for a happy me :)

And I also think the backgrounds look much better than in Dimensions, which is another plus for me.
In other words, I dig it. I know a lot of people won't, but for me, this really makes me want to play V all over again.

Spooniest
03-22-2013, 07:08 PM
It pains me to think that all we know how to do is whine anymore.

They're remaking Final Fantasy 5. Why aren't you happy?

Final Fantasy 5 is freaking awesome.

I'm sorry, but no matter what niggling nitpicking details send fans into nerd rages, the power of Final Fantasy 5 and Job Systeming on my Smart Phone trumps it all to hell and back for me.

I say it's about time SE did something like this.

Me am so happy! :D

VeloZer0
03-22-2013, 07:39 PM
A remake isn't intrinsically good, it's only good if you enjoy it over and above how you would enjoy another playthrough of the original.

Provide you like the changes and the medium I have no doubt that would be awesome. It's just that it doesn't seem like a lot of people here are in that basket.

Elpizo
03-22-2013, 08:29 PM
They're remaking Final Fantasy 5. Why aren't you happy?

Because there seems to be little reason to pick this version over the excellent GBA port, unless you're absolutely dying to play it with touch controls or with character sprites taken from FF Dimensions. Personally, touch controls and different character sprites don't cut it for me. Unless they're cramming this full of extra content, which I doubt.

Not to mention, given how many people wanted a full-blown remake in the vain of III and IV DS, a simple port that doesn't even give us HD sprites feels like a blow to the balls.

Spooniest
03-22-2013, 08:40 PM
I've just about had it hearing about the "excellent" GBA ports. I thought they were shit.

Elpizo
03-22-2013, 09:10 PM
I've just about had it hearing about the "excellent" GBA ports. I thought they were shit.
That's nice. Doesn't change the fact that they weren't.

VeloZer0
03-22-2013, 09:14 PM
I actually didn't have a whole lot of love for the GBA ports either. I would rater play the originals.

Spooniest
03-22-2013, 09:22 PM
I've just about had it hearing about the "excellent" GBA ports. I thought they were trout.
That's nice. Doesn't change the fact that they weren't.

I thought they were.

I also think anyone who isn't at least mildly pleased that Final Fantasy V is being shown some attention (finally) is a prissy little entitled bastard.

Elpizo
03-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Anybody who would prefer to play the original V instead of the vastly superior V Advance is out of his mind. Not to mention V Advance was actually translated. There is no reason to pick the SNES version over the GBA one unless you're alergic to quality GBA games or something. There's absolutely nothing the SNES version of V did that V Advance didn't do better. And yeah, I include music in that. One could argue that IV Advance suffered from too many glitches (at least the US version) and that VI Advance suffered loss in the quality of its music, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with V Advance. It's as good as perfect. Any new version of V that wants to improve upon that will have to do better than changing the character sprites.

Sephiroth
03-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Anybody who would prefer to play the original V instead of the vastly superior V Advance is out of his mind.

Or someone who wants the oldschool feeling of enjoying something in its original version like me.

I have Final Fantasy V for the Super Famicom/Nintendo, the Anthology version and the GBA version. I use them all.

battles with Exdeath (in the castle and his first form in the void)

The rift is not the void.

Spooniest
03-22-2013, 11:51 PM

If I get a smartphone or tablet the first thing I'm doing is downloading Final Fantasy V.

It certainly beats that 'All The Bravest' fiasco any day of the week.

Mirage
03-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Anybody who would prefer to play the original V instead of the vastly superior V Advance is out of his mind. Not to mention V Advance was actually translated. There is no reason to pick the SNES version over the GBA one unless you're alergic to quality GBA games or something. There's absolutely nothing the SNES version of V did that V Advance didn't do better. And yeah, I include music in that. One could argue that IV Advance suffered from too many glitches (at least the US version) and that VI Advance suffered loss in the quality of its music, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with V Advance. It's as good as perfect. Any new version of V that wants to improve upon that will have to do better than changing the character sprites.

That's actually wrong. There are a few valid reasons to like the SNES version. The SNES version has a lot better audio quality, both sound effects and music. The GBA version also has a few minor slowdowns in places where the SNES does not.

Fynn
03-23-2013, 01:51 AM

That's actually wrong. There are a few valid reasons to like the SNES version. The SNES version has a lot better audio quality, both sound effects and music. The GBA version also has a few minor slowdowns in places where the SNES does not.

Speaking of music, I bet this remake will have an awesome remade soundtrack. I know Dimensions had an incredible sound quality, even better than the original soundtrack, so I guess that's to be expected here.

Gamblet
03-23-2013, 06:36 PM
I actually didn't have a whole lot of love for the GBA ports either. I would rater play the originals.

Yeah, GBA version looks ugly and sounds are kind of... off.

EDIT: rather*

Elpizo
03-23-2013, 07:39 PM
You people are weird. How in the name of smurf did the GBA ports look ugly? Aside from the touched up battle-backgrounds in IV and V and some updated character sprites in IV, everything looked the same. Heck, VI was practically unchanged, aside from the smaller screen. I mean, I can get people not liking the PSP port style, but the GBA versions were basically the SNES ones (IV aside, since the game didn't age as well as V and VI graphically) with better translation. If they're ugly, it's like saying the original ones were ugly. Which is okay, if you didn't like the original, but liking the SNES graphically but calling the GBA ugly while they're nearly the same (again, except for IV, it did receive a much needed upgrade) is just weird. Weird.

Spooniest
03-24-2013, 12:15 AM

The battle background is all that was upgraded. Cheap, easy.

The sprites are exactly the same, and the palette now has a washed-over look.

Maybe this isn't a deal-breaker, but the music and sound effects are terrible.

And I still think the script is ridiculous, in every version of this game that's been made. The remake (if it's even localized) will probably still not be very interesting in this regard. But that's not why I play Final Fantasy V in the first place.

Fynn
03-24-2013, 08:03 AM
I think the GBA version was the best so far. And the script is amazing, as it captures that goofy feel of this installment perfectly.

Mirage
03-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, sprites are a bit brighter, but there is actually a legitimate reason for this. Graphics were generally made brighter on GBA to make them more visible on the original GBAs, those without backlit LCDs.

But still, it's just not possible to make the audio sound as good on GBA, because it has inferior sound hrdware compared to the SNES.

I like the GBA script as well.

Elpizo
03-24-2013, 01:11 PM
I actually prefer the GBA soundtrack to the SNES one at times. I think it actually improves some tracks. Especially the music that plays during your battles with Exdeath (in the castle and his first form in the void). The original one doesn't manage to make it sound like you're having an epic battle, it sounds rather dull to be honest, while the GBA does manage to capture that feeling of "epic battle with the big bad". The one thing I can agree with is some of the sound effects. It's weird, but there's something absolutely charming about that dull "thud" you hear when you kill a monster, both in IV and V, in the SNES versions. That's one thing the GBA didn't quite manage to capture, but it's a small sacrifice for all other improvements.

Spooniest
03-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Once we see this remake in action, we'll be better able to gauge its comparability to the GBA version.

But I still would love to have FF5 on my phone.

Even if the story is kind of mind-numbing Saturday morning cartoon garbage, the gameplay is what elevates the whole thing into greatness.

Elpizo
03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
The story is decidedly not saturday morning cartoon garbage. I hate how people always throw that trout around as if it's a commonly accepted fact, while it's not. There's no denying that the gameplay is definately V's strongest aspect, but the story is nothing short of solid as well and even gets surprisingly dark in certain areas. It's kind of alike in IX in that aspect, come to think of it. The characters are likeable and well-rounded, which also goes for the supporting cast. This whole thing of "V's story sucks" should be handed over to the Mythbusters. It's one myth in need of some desperate busting. I blame VI for creating it.

Fynn
03-24-2013, 06:03 PM
VI has a far better story, but V's is awesome as well. In a very self-conscious, subversive way. In a way, it's a parody of all the previous games in the series and should be commended for it, since it's good parody. It's tons of fun.

Spooniest
03-24-2013, 11:24 PM
I didn't hear that from someone, you know, that's my actual opinion after having played it. Maybe you have different standards than I do or something. I don't find the story to be interesting in the slightest.

The music, the gameplay, hell, the palette and animation are all top-notch. I just don't like the story.

It's never stopped me from playing the shit out of it.

Elpizo
03-25-2013, 12:25 AM
*shrugs* Doesn't make it bad. You didn't like it, fine. I didn't like VI's story, but I'd never call it bad.

Roogle
03-25-2013, 06:05 PM
I feel like the sprites could be done better. I agree with the poster who made the assessment that the game looks like it could have been made on one of the RPGMaker series.

the_best_noob
03-25-2013, 08:07 PM
V's sprites look a little different mostly because of the backgrounds. The only thing that was clearly worse was the music, because the SNES had a much better sound card than was possible to put in the GBA.

Goldenboko
03-25-2013, 08:08 PM

Any reason? Or just baseless opinion? :P

Andio
03-25-2013, 11:03 PM
I hate mobile controls so.....
No I will not get it. :razz:
Though a 3DS remake, I would buy that

Spooniest
03-26-2013, 01:42 AM
I've just about had it hearing about the "excellent" GBA ports. I thought they were trout.

I like flying the airship in Final Fantasy VI. They butchered it.

Fynn
03-26-2013, 07:53 AM

I like flying the airship in Final Fantasy VI. They butchered it.

... How?

Spooniest
03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
The damn thing feels like it's got one propeller left and you're just barely staying aloft. The problem is that for whatever reason, the mode 7 map just refuses to animate as fast on the GBA as on the SNES. This makes flight extremely clunky. It was my favorite part of the game (flying the airship), and now it's junk.

Cue nerd rage.:bou:

Elpizo
03-26-2013, 03:02 PM
So... because the airship in VI Advance wasn't to your liking, all the GBA ports are trout?

Seems legit.

Mirage
03-26-2013, 06:39 PM
If you like airships, it is.

Gamblet
03-26-2013, 08:29 PM
*grabs popcorn*

Continue...

Elpizo
03-26-2013, 10:34 PM

Still fail to see how VI's failed airship makes IV and V Advance trout. :confused:

Spooniest
03-27-2013, 03:38 PM

Still fail to see how VI's failed airship makes IV and V Advance trout. :confused:

All the mode 7 effects looks like garbage on the GBA, and all the music and sound effects are inferior copies of their SNES counterparts. The SNES lays the smack down on the GBA eight days a week. I won't deny that it's novel to have the GBA versions, but the novelty of a portable version is all that I find redeeming about them.

I just fucking hate the worthless GBA.

Elpizo
03-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Given how little IV and V use mode-seven, it's really not that big of a deal. The music and sound for IV and V is fine, in some areas even improves over the SNES version. Well, admittedly, some sound effects lack the charm of the SNES ones (the death-sound of monsters, mostly), but the rest is hardly nails-on-a-chalkboard. It's hardly that bad. Plug in some headphones and you have pretty good audio. It's not enough to ruin the entire experience, in any case. At least not for me.

The GBA is hardly "worthless". It has an incredible library of fantastic games and great RPGs, so much so that calling it worthless is kind of insulting. Even with its inferior-to-the-SNES audio hardware, it still managed to produce games with great music (Golden Sun and Megman Zero spring to my mind). Not to mention that music alone is hardly enough of a factor to doom an entire system, since a handheld is so much more than that and the GBA delivered on all fronts. It was an all-around solid handheld, that doesn't even come anywhere remotely near "worthless".

Spooniest
03-28-2013, 12:41 AM
There is more licensed garbage on the GBA than I have ever heard of a system having.

I dun like it :colbert:

The Man
03-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Anyone who claims the GBA's sound is superior to the SNES's is objectively wrong, sorry. There are advantages to the GBA ports but if sound is that important to you then the SNES versions will be clearly superior.

Elpizo
03-28-2013, 08:02 AM
There is more licensed garbage on the GBA than I have ever heard of a system having.

I dun like it :colbert:

You clearly don't have a Wii. Or a DS, for that matter.

Fynn
03-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Apparently, the game is already out in English. At least here in Europe.

Spooniest
03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
See, that's how you turn a project out!!

Roogle
03-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Apparently, the game is already out in English. At least here in Europe.

Can you post a source? That would be a very fast turnaround time if that is the case. Square Enix should have announced this title a long time ago if it is already out in Europe of all places.