PDA

View Full Version : Meanings of words and phrases you got wrong for ages.

MJN SEIFER
03-23-2013, 06:49 AM
Basically what it says, this is a thread where we reveal words and pharases that we previously thought meant something else, and even used them completely in the wrong context until we were either corrected, or realized ourselves. Here are some of mine;

"Outspoken"
What I thought it meant: Someone who is always talked over, never noticed.
What it actually means: Someone who speaks very directly, or something.

"An Open Relationship"
What I thought it meant: Two people who are in love, and display it in the open, romantically, such as kissing in public places.
What it actually means: Two people who are in a romantic relationship, who allow each other to have other partners.

"Inflammable"
What I thought it meant: The opposite of "Flammable".
What it actually means: The exact same thing as "Flammable". :eek:

What about you?

Chemical
03-23-2013, 07:29 AM
During my time as a community nurse I was teaching children about bacteria and hand washing in health class. I used the word organism and the little girl asked me what and "orgasm" was in reply.

Not really what you means but it just reminded me of that story... Also I hate that almost no one uses the word "irony" properly.

Araciel
03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
None come to mind. I'm that gullible!

Mikztsu
03-24-2013, 02:07 AM
I have found English easier language than mine to describe your mind. But I often find myself understanding word "no" as "yes"... So if you say to me: "no means no", in my head is: ""Yes means yes." awkward lol! ( I take yes as a yes as well)