PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock: Infinite

Aulayna
03-23-2013, 06:09 PM
It's nearly time. Is anyone else excited for this? Will you be getting it at launch or waiting a bit?

Slothy
03-23-2013, 06:41 PM
I am poor so I shall be waiting. Really want this though.

Shauna
03-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Got it preordered, so I'll be picking it up ASAP. I am pretty excited! :excited:

Pheesh
03-24-2013, 02:22 AM
This game looks amazing, but I can't spend the money on it just yet. I will be buying it the first possible chance I get though.

Quindiana Jones
03-24-2013, 05:38 PM
I will be buying it as soon as humanly possible, and it will cost me 50p.

Pheesh
03-25-2013, 04:38 AM
Yeah, I read some really good reviews and then couldn't resist. I have it on pre-order now through the cheap game store that I buy from, can not waaait :excited:

Shauna
03-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Tomorrrowwwww. I got a text from my game shop that it'll be ready for me tomorrow! :D I got a premium edition and I will get a cool poster and a keyring and other tat.

Pheesh
03-26-2013, 01:40 AM
It's downloading on Steam right now :excited:

Bunny
03-26-2013, 01:56 AM
Say what you will about Adam Sessler but since leaving G4 he certainly has upped his game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jchIi-vR_js&feature=player_embedded).

The first two Bioshock games are in my backlog; I should play them at some point. I won't buy Bioshock Infinite because I typically do not buy games immediately upon release, nor do I preorder them, but I will probably get it at some point in the nearish future.

Aulayna
03-26-2013, 02:32 AM
Holy shit that was an awesome review.

edczxcvbnm
03-26-2013, 06:10 AM
I was not a big fan of the first game and while this looks to be a much better game, I am going to pass until probably the Christmas steam sale next year when it will be probably $20.

I also have not read up on all of the changes but to my understanding they have done away with that horrible Morality "system" which is always a big plus. Those systems can be fun but are always very blind and obvious as hell unless you get a sense that you are changing the world (Knights of the Old Republic pulled it off decently which made it fun despite the obviousness of it all). Bioshock did not do this and I never viewed it as anything other than a pure gameplay mechanic. As a story tool, it gets old after the second one. nnNNNNO! No NO! NNNO!

Pheesh
03-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Have it running 1920x1080 on ultra and it looks absolutely stunning. Won't be able to play much tonight because I have to be up early, but the intro is amazing and I can't wait to sink hours into this game.

Depression Moon
03-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I read some really good reviews and then couldn't resist. I have it on pre-order now through the cheap game store that I buy from, can not waaait :excited:

Good to hear that there are still other used game stores other than Gamestop still around. Keep buying from that one. Also, I didn't pay much attention to it at first, but I might actually get it though people seemed to hype up the 1st one too much. It didn't even seem close to being game of the year for me. I only give the 1st one a 6. Just slightly above average.

Jinx
03-26-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm pretty interested to hear what everyone thinks about this. I never played Bioshock, but I spent many an hour watching my best friend at the time play it. I thought it was awesome. This new play on the utopia thing is interesting.

Aulayna
03-27-2013, 03:39 AM
Downloading it now :excited:

Psychotic
03-27-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm torrrrn. The setting, style, plot, all of it seems to be fucking incredible and I really want to explore and experience it. However, the setting was also amazing in the original BioShock too but as far as actual gameplay went I thought it was pretty poor. Reviews won't help as everyone jizzed all over BioShock at first. I think I'm going to sit on the fence a bit more and maybe wait for it to go down in price before committing.

Pheesh
03-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Just finished it. Best story in a video game that I've ever played, the whole final act was just so powerful and the ending that it culminated in had me sitting in silence for a good 5 minutes.

Ouch!
04-02-2013, 06:01 PM
I ended up getting the game as an early birthday present from my sister (I, too, had been planning on waiting). Very good story, solid gameplay, and an absolutely stunning environment. If you're not paying close attention to the audio logs you find throughout the game, the final act is going to seem like a bit of a stretch. I'll be playing through a second time to see how much of the foreshadowing I missed.

Psychotic
04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Zachie Chan did you play and like BioShock 1? How does the gameplay compare?

Ouch!
04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
It's not a radical improvement over the original, and I would never say that the combat is Infinite's strongest point. Battles are much faster now. The addition of skylines and manipulating tears add more variety, as well. The game is also a lot easier, largely as a consequence of Elizabeth providing support (she'll toss you ammo, health, and salt once each per encounter when you're running low). The gameplay isn't ever distractingly bad the way it can be in the original. That said, there's not much to running through the game decimating everything with the shotgun and the RPG. I didn't really start using vigors until near the end of the game, and even then it was more because they're fun and not because I needed them strategically.

Aulayna
04-03-2013, 02:02 AM
I only played it for about 4 hours and in all honesty was pretty bored. My friends keep telling me "give it time, give it time."

In an age where I have various pick up and play games at my disposal that I know are going to give me 30-40 minutes of enjoyment an actual AAA game really needs to grab me within the first couple of hours or else I'm going to lose interest. It sounds pomptuous but it's true - and Infinite has fallen victim to this.

I liked listening to the audiologs and watching the kinetoscope things that flesh things out a bit more but nothing about it has really felt new and exciting to me. The combat feels somewhat clunky to me and the skyrail thing that everyone raves about I feel like I already did in other games, Metroid Prime 3 being one that comes to mind.

I also dislike the save system as I have no real way of telling on the fly how long it's been since my last auto-save was.

I dunno I'm just not seeing the mindblowingness of it that other people are raving about - but then maybe that's just because "steampunk" esque stuff has never really floated my boat.

Maybe I'll give it some more time over the weekend.

Pheesh
04-03-2013, 04:08 AM
It definitely gets better the longer the game goes on. But that said, I thought it was awesome from the start, the setting and story hooked me from the get go and I never felt bored. Is the combat a bit lacking and sometimes very frustrating? Yes. Does it detract from the amazing plot? In my opinion, not at all.

Jinx
04-03-2013, 04:12 AM
I'd never play it, but the concept sounds very fascinating.

G13
04-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Just beat it. Pretty great game. I did not see that ending coming, all my theories were way off base.

So, who's gonna do 1999 Mode? :D

Pheesh
04-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Just beat it. Pretty great game. I did not see that ending coming, all my theories were way off base.

So, who's gonna do 1999 Mode? :D

Thinking about it. I definitely want to play through it again, so I'll probably give it a shot and hopefully don't end up throwing my computer through a window.

G13
04-05-2013, 09:48 PM
I just started a playthrough on it. It's not as difficult as I thought it would be, but these Columbia policemen are nothing compared to the later enemies. Should be fun experienced when that first Handyman makes the scene.

DMKA
04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
I went ahead and bought it. It's pretty good so far. Some of the content actually makes me surprised that there hasn't been all sorts of controversy over the game.

The way they've made the use of music in the game is pretty clever. :D

Quindiana Jones
04-10-2013, 09:30 PM
I went ahead and bought it. It's pretty good so far. Some of the content actually makes me surprised that there hasn't been all sorts of controversy over the game.

The way they've made the use of music in the game is pretty clever. :D

Could you elaborate on this? I'm curious about both parts.

Anybody discovered how magnificently overpowered Murder of Crows is? Couple it with the Overkill and Head Master Gears, and you can very quickly, very easily and very Salts-lessly create a minefield of stunlocking. :D

G13
04-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Racism is a central theme in this game. And if you pay attention to the music you can hear 1912 renditions of songs from groups like the Beach Boys, Tears for Fears, CCR, Cyndi Lauper, etc. I heard Girls Just Wanna Have Fun playing as carnival music, it was pretty cool.

I beat the game on 1999 Mode. It was difficult but not as difficult as some of the articles I had read about it said it was. I was expecting more than a few ragequittingly difficult fights, but I think maybe one of them had me fuming for all of five minutes. It was still fun though. It added a new level of fun to the gameplay, which I already found really enjoyable.

Quindiana Jones
04-12-2013, 03:51 PM
I know that racism is central, just don't see why that would be controversial.

I realised about the music yesterday, yeah. I initially just assumed that Beach Boys covered God Only Knows, but then I remembered the whole fiasco that plagued its conception. Great little references all over the place. :)

Shoeberto
04-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Say what you will about Adam Sessler but since leaving G4 he certainly has upped his game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jchIi-vR_js&feature=player_embedded).

The first two Bioshock games are in my backlog; I should play them at some point. I won't buy Bioshock Infinite because I typically do not buy games immediately upon release, nor do I preorder them, but I will probably get it at some point in the nearish future.
I held out on both 1 and 2 for a few years each also. I just finished 2. I think they're both great, though the first beats the second for sheer wow value. I'm really excited for this one though and plan to put it on my to-play list in the very near future. I want so bad to know about the story but also to not have it spoiled, which is making it a very hard thing to be on the internet right now.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Game set me back about half a dozen autosave points for no reason. Lost about 4 hours of progress. This is why I hate it when developers don't include the ability to manually save your game.

/ragequit

/ragefix

So, I decided to see to this issue, with righteous vengeance and furious anger. Turns out Irrational Games, living up to their namesake, didn't consider the possibility of somebody playing offline and turning off their Xbox. Meaning that every time I turned it on to play, I was back in Novemeber 2005. I remember that year. It was a shitty year, Irrational. Don't make me revisit it every time I want to play this game. I went through each save file in my System Settings one by one, finding the most recent and loading it up. If it was in the wrong place, I deleted it. Rinse, repeat. Finally got me back in my rightful place. Now every time I stop playing Bioshock, all I have to do is go into the Settings, delete all the save files except the most recent one, and everything should be fine and dandy.

Fink is right; isn't simplicity just the fucking best? :monster:

G13
04-15-2013, 12:00 PM
I had the same issue. I took my Xbox to a friend's to play 1999 Mode and didn't set it up to play online. Every time I reloaded an autosave it would take me back to the Sea of Doors save and I could not understand why.

I restarted the game mode three times before realizing what the issue was. :greenie:

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Ohhhhh, he doesn't row.

Those two characters are easily my favourite thing about this game.

NeoCracker
04-16-2013, 03:23 AM
A Spoony V-Log on Bioshock that was very interesting!

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2013/04/14/bioshock-infinite-review/

It's a sit down and talk about a game review, not one of his over the top massive game reviews. :p

It does kind of nail the reasons I could never get into the series.

Shauna
06-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Just finished this ol' thing. Thoroughly impressed. I did love it quite a bit.

Slothy
06-08-2013, 08:08 PM
God I wish I could play this. I get 2 frames per second on the lowest settings (I mean that literally. I measured with FRAPS) and I've kept the people with 2K games customer support thoroughly stumped for 26 days. At this point, even if it gets fixed I'm not sure I'll be able to play it without a bad taste in my mouth.

Pheesh
06-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Just finished this ol' thing. Thoroughly impressed. I did love it quite a bit.

Tooooold you.

And that really sucks Vivi, it's a game that should be played by everyone imo.

Slothy
06-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Yeah, it's weird. In all of the years I've been playing PC games this is the only time I've had one not work at all and not been able to easily fix it myself, let alone have every solution that tech support has offered up fail on me as well for nearly a month. The strangest thing is that it runs the same on the lowest settings as it does on really high settings. I got no improvement in the frame rate at all when I dropped them all down, and no programs seem to be interfering with it.

Minor edit: I think my favourite part though was when the 2K rep told me flat out after a couple of weeks of messages back and forth that there was nothing else they could do. Mentioned that if they couldn't help me I'd have to try and see if I could get a refund through Steam and their tune changed remarkably quickly.

Depression Moon
06-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Minor edit: I think my favourite part though was when the 2K rep told me flat out after a couple of weeks of messages back and forth that there was nothing else they could do. Mentioned that if they couldn't help me I'd have to try and see if I could get a refund through Steam and their tune changed remarkably quickly.

That's how a lot of companies do.

Slothy
06-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Minor bump to say I found a solution to my issue just over a month later. And I do mean I found the solution because the tech support guys were stumped.

Managed to find some posts from a couple of people on the 2K boards from back in March saying that they had the same issue but it went away when they played the game in windowed mode instead of full screen. Tried it and my frame rate was smooth as a baby's butt straight away. Cranked the graphics as high as they would go immediately, frame rates are still smooth. I have no idea why this works, but fuck it, I don't care any more. I'll probably start into this once I finish The Last of Us. After I got it working there was just this feeling of "that's it? Fuck this game!" And I really don't have the desire to start playing it right this second.