PDA

View Full Version : Should I replay FFX or wait for the remake?

FFfreak1
03-25-2013, 05:12 AM
What do you guys think? After looking at screens for FFX: R, I can't decide whether I should replay the game or just hold out for the new version what do you guys think?

Mirage
03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
I can't tell you what you should do, but I'm in the same situation and I am definitely waiting for the remake.

Elly
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
simple... if you wanna CodeBreaker past the Stupid Chocobo, play it on the PS2 now... if not, then wait...

Sephiroth
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
if you want the trophies later, practice now.

Nebulance
03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
I would wait, unless you've got no other games to keep you busy. I started a replay months ago, but I haven't really finished it at all -- I was planning on leveling everyone up to max values and going through the monster creations, but as this news has ramped up, I've decided to just wait and start fresh. Plus, I could finally pay closer attention when deciphering the Al Bhed language (I always miss that one letter from Home, that you can't go back and get!)

If you're looking for a JRPG fix, I would go with Ni No Kuni -- I highly recommend it! That's what I'm working on in the meantime, along with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance...

Mirage
03-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Or just practice while you can also acquire trophies. THere's not really a lot of practice needed anyway. It's all theoretical. THere are very few reaction based things in the game, except lightning dodging and whatever it was with those chocobos.

Jinx
03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Is there a confirmed release date for FFXHD? I'm not sure; I don't think there is.

In my opinion, play it now! If you want to play it, play it! :) I'm pretty sure even if the HD version comes out soon, it's going to be so pretty and fresh, you're going to play it even if you just beat it. I know I would/will.

Sephiroth
03-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Or just practice while you can also acquire trophies. THere's not really a lot of practice needed anyway. It's all theoretical. THere are very few reaction based things in the game, except lightning dodging and whatever it was with those chocobos.

As member of a trophy forum I know many people who don't want to lose time WHILE they get the trophies. Maybe here people don't want to get trophies fast or not at all but I know many who want to get them as fast as possible (whether it makes sense is irrelevant here).

Mirage
03-25-2013, 03:07 PM
But you're not making the trophies faster if you spend time practicing now. You're just moving things around.

Besides, we don't even know what the trophies will be yet. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to spend hours on finding the fastest way to do X when it later turns out X doesn't get you a trophy.

Additionally, I'd rather not get tired of the game before I play the PS3 port.

Sephiroth
03-25-2013, 03:26 PM
But you're not making the trophies faster if you spend time practicing now. You're just moving things around.

Well, you may move things, in this time the training, around but you definitely get the trophy faster if you don't need to try it 10 times after the release and practice before. You have the same effort but for many people it is important that their trophy is earned one day earlier. And with practicing that is possible.

Besides, we don't even know what the trophies will be yet. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to spend hours on finding the fastest way to do X when it later turns out X doesn't get you a trophy.

I am not talking about me, I have all the stuff already. But of course you just said "I don't know about you" without really talking about me practicing.

I definitely know earlier training is worth the time you have spent if you are interested in trophies and are a trophy hunter who wants to get them fast.

You are right about me not knowing which action brings a trophy at all. But I am very good at estimating such things. And such important side quests normally give you trophies.

Additionally, I'd rather not get tired of the game before I play the PS3 port.

Luckily that does not happen with me and Final Fantasy. if he/she gets tired easily is something I can't tell you. I just say in my eyes Final Fantasy X is worth two walkthroughs even if they are close together.

Mirage
03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
FFX might be worth two playthroughs. However, my two playthroughs of FFX happened a few years ago already. I just want to replay it to see if I experience it the same way now, ten years after I first played it. I suspect I won't, but we'll see. And maybe get some trophies, if they are actually appealing and not just really boring.

But no, really. If you're spending 40 hours practicing now and 20 hours getting the trophies when it launches, you haven't gotten the trophy "faster" than if you spent 60 hours when the game launched instead.

Sephiroth
03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
But no, really. If you're spending 40 hours practicing now and 20 hours getting the trophies when it launches, you haven't gotten the trophy "faster" than if you spent 60 hours when the game launched instead.

You have gotten the trophy faster because the time you spend before the release does not matter for a trophy hunter and not in this case at all. You spend exactly the same time in reality but the time is only important after the release. And if you get it 2 hours after the release or 5 minutes after the release you definitely have a difference. For the time count of getting a trophy you cannot count a time in which the option to get the trophy does not exist. You are absolutely right about the same time you need and the same effort. But if you get a trophy 2 hours after the release or 5 minutes then it is faster. You are just using "faster" in a completely different way.

Before Release: Training (2 hours) | No training
After Release: Succeeding (1st try) | Training (2 hours)
Getting the trophy | Succeeding
after a few minutes |Getting the trophy

Same time and effort. But the trophy itself was gotten earlier. Every trophy hunter and the PSN trophy time list could show you that. So for the official trophy list the trophy was gotten faster.

This is getting off-topic. I am sure the user FFFreak does not even want to know that.

Oh wait, people actually care about getting all the trophies before other people get them?

Yeah, whatever to that http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/tongue.gif.

Great response. Yes, there are people who do care about that, "trophy hunter" and "as fast as possible" implies that. I told you that before and that proves you did not even read my posts. And even without it it can be axiomatically proven what I said.

Don't expect another reply from me. I know now that you would not read or think about it completely but just focus on saying something different or answer with sarcasm as you did now. I am outta here.

EDIT: Even replying will not help here. You don't understand the 2nd and 4th axiom of communication.

Mirage
03-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Oh wait, people actually care about getting all the trophies before other people get them?

Yeah, whatever to that :p.

But again, the trophy hunters have no way of knowing which things will be trophies and which will not yet. They cpuld be wasting a lot of time on nothing. For all we (and they) know, 95% of the trophies could be story-based trophies, like all that terrible trout in FF13.

Karifean
03-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Personally I'd recommend playing it now. Partially because I think the game only gets better with every subsequent playthrough, partially because it'll probably still take quite a while until it's actually released. There was a rumor that it'll be June but I think it'll take some more time than that. So yeah, you might end up waiting a lot longer than you had anticipated.

Rocket Edge
03-25-2013, 05:14 PM
What? Why would you even consider it? I'm definitely holding out. To me it would ruin the experience of getting the HD release when I just beat the game. I really think you should wait. It'll make the game all the sweeter playing it in HD.

As someone mentioned, if you want an RPG fix, get Ni No Kuni. If you don't have any money, play another RPG game you already own.

Nebulance
03-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Personally I'd recommend playing it now. Partially because I think the game only gets better with every subsequent playthrough, partially because it'll probably still take quite a while until it's actually released. There was a rumor that it'll be June but I think it'll take some more time than that. So yeah, you might end up waiting a lot longer than you had anticipated.

for what it's worth, if you follow the pre-order link on finalfantasyxhd.com, Amazon lists a release date of Dec 31, but I'm not sure if that's just a placeholder.

Bubba
03-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Great response. Yes, there are people who do care about that, "trophy hunter" and "as fast as possible" implies that. I told you that before and that proves you did not even read my posts. And even without it it can be axiomatically proven what I said.

Don't expect another reply from me. I know now that you would not read or think about it completely but just focus on saying something different or answer with sarcasm as you did now. I am outta here.

To be fair, anyone would need a gold smurfing medal to fully read one of your posts, Sephiroth. Is there really any need for you to be that confrontational?

If anyone would like a summary of what he was babbling on about it is this... playing the game before the HD release will benefit you in regards to trophy hunting.

Personally, I'll be waiting for the re-release. I have a PS2 copy but my PS2 itself was KIA a long time ago.

Roogle
03-25-2013, 06:16 PM
If you wish to use any type of Codebreaker codes, then I would recommend playing it now as the port will be released on Playstation 3 which is very difficult to hack. Those types of devices like Codebreaker no longer exist in the current console generation. You will most likely have to do all of the tedious tasks like dodging lightning and the participating in the chocobo races.

Mirage
03-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Really now, Sephiroth. I read your posts and you keep saying getting trophies as fast as possible. I interpreted this as "in the shortest amount of time" each time. Maybe you thought you by that implied "before everyone else", but you didn't actually make that very clear until your last post.

Don't worry though, I am sure I can find a way to live without replies from you in the future.

Shiny
03-26-2013, 09:44 PM
I'd recommend that you get a used copy of the new one because I don't think there's a point in spending the extra dough for a game that looks pretty similar to the original.

Case in point:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/b5f3e2653e3f9896230952475da427a2/tumblr_mk2tl2qnjb1qakpgvo1_1280.gif

I don't see much of a difference aside from aspect ratio change.

Rocket Edge
03-26-2013, 09:53 PM
I gotta disagree. I think there is a considerable difference. Just look at Lulu!

Mirage
03-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah really Shiny. The difference is very big. Just look at Lulu's hair, necklace, that thing covering her tits, her corset, and of course the tits themselves. They all have a lot greater texture detail. There is a lot more detail in Wakka's clothes as well, and the grass behind them is a lot less blocky. Wakkas arms and shoulders now look like they have some muscle definition instead of being one big indistinguishable rectangle.

Jinx
03-26-2013, 09:59 PM
I keep looking at that stone thing behind Auron's legs. The detail is gorgeous.

Aulayna
03-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Personally I'd wait.

Especially if, unlike me, you live in the US. The HD remaster will have a substantial amount of new content compared to the current US version (expert sphere grid, Dark Aeons, Penance etc).

Khaotic
03-27-2013, 01:18 AM
I'd recommend that you get a used copy of the new one because I don't think there's a point in spending the extra dough for a game that looks pretty similar to the original.

Case in point:

Huh? There is a huge difference, and that's just from a still picture, having everything actually play out and experiencing the world with the updated graphics will be even more of a difference.

Depression Moon
03-27-2013, 05:36 AM
What's the point in buying a game you already have that isn't broken

The only diff is that this game will have trophies and just slightly better graphics.

Elly
03-27-2013, 11:34 AM
omg, from the quality differences alone in that screenshot comparison i'd be sold if i wasn't gonna already get it anyway, just so i can have the complete version of the game compared to the gimped one the U.S. got... mind you i did love the original, this will give me a chance to enjoy it again on my HDTV... let's face it, due to pixel stretching older games look like crap on HDTVs, it's why i still have my old systems hooked up to smaller monitors, the smaller the image gets the better it looks with older games...
anyway, there's a huge difference in the texture quality, i don't know how anyone could not see it, unless all you're looking at is the character positions on the screen as opposed to the quality of the textures used...

Mirage
03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
What's the point in buying a game you already have that isn't broken

The only diff is that this game will have trophies and just slightly better graphics.

Case in point:

Huh? There is a huge difference, and that's just from a still picture, having everything actually play out and experiencing the world with the updated graphics will be even more of a difference.
Hm, where to begin...

1. the game will have lower loading times.
2. Americans will get the previously unavailable international content in X.
3. Europeans will finally get a version that doesn't have a 16 animation slowdown as a result of a terrible PAL conversion job.
4. You can now play the game with a wireless ds3 instead of a wired ds2, this is very useful for people with big TVs and sit over 2 meters away from their screens.
5. Both Europe and America will gain access to the previously unavailable international content of X-2.

Is this enough reasons outside of "just better graphics", or do you want me to find a few more? :p

Jinx
03-27-2013, 03:55 PM
I hope they're talking out the terrible lag. :shobon:

Karifean
03-28-2013, 12:29 AM
According to Famitsu, the game is 70% complete so here's hoping it'll be done a few months' time.

Rocket Edge
03-28-2013, 01:14 AM
I know very little about what sort of development goes into a game, but if they are around 70% complete I'd say that is an encouraging sign. Hopefully we see it in Autumn, but if not, I just hope they stick to their target of before 2014 hits.

Rostum
03-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Yeah so many cool things to come with the remaster, I'd wait! At least I am. :D

Shiny
03-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Yeah really Shiny. The difference is very big. Just look at Lulu's hair, necklace, that thing covering her tits, her corset, and of course the tits themselves. They all have a lot greater texture detail. There is a lot more detail in Wakka's clothes as well, and the grass behind them is a lot less blocky. Wakkas arms and shoulders now look like they have some muscle definition instead of being one big indistinguishable rectangle.
They fool you.

They've added more colors and slightly more definition to the hair and eyes, but everything else has just been stretched to 16:9 to make it look like they've made a drastic change.

I'm interested to see what the FMV's will look like by comparison. That may show more of a difference to the original.

Rostum
03-28-2013, 11:31 AM
They've added more colors and slightly more definition to the hair and eyes, but everything else has just been stretched to 16:9 to make it look like they've made a drastic change.

This is not true. The textures are completely re-done - not added to because things don't magically work that way, there's more polygons, new lighting and shaders are added, and the aspect ratio has been changed and resolution increased not stretched. They are drastic changes for a PS2 game.

Mirage
03-28-2013, 01:44 PM
They fool you.

I'm interested to see what the FMV's will look like by comparison. That may show more of a difference to the original.

nope, they aren't fooling me. Either you need (new) glasses or you've got to be trolling.

Cloudane
03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Lead up to it. Play FF1 to FF9. By the time you're done with that, hopefully it should be out :)

Shiny
03-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Actually you're right, there is considerable change but it still doesn't hold up to the true HD graphics we see in their more recent games. There isn't much change to the definition to me to make me say,wow this is totally worth spending money on a brand new game. It isn't really brand new or outdated. I am perfectly fine with the original I currently have.

Roogle
03-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Actually you're right, there is considerable change but it still doesn't hold up to the true HD graphics we see in their more recent games. There isn't much change to the definition to me to make me say,wow this is totally worth spending money on a brand new game. It isn't really brand new or outdated. I am perfectly fine with the original I currently have.

Yes, I agree with you. I cannot consider this title a remake of any kind. It sounds like more of an upscaled port to a newer generation console. Have they said whether or not they are adding any additional content like a storyline segment? Those are the types of items that make me consider a game a remake.

Specifically, I consider Lunar: Silver Star Story and Lunar: Silver Star Harmony to be remakes of a game that was released a long time ago called Lunar: The Silver Star on Sega CD. The development studio used these new releases as opportunities to change, add, and remove story or gameplay elements.

Jinx
03-29-2013, 04:29 PM
They've never claimed it was a remake, just a remaster.

But for NA gamers, there is a lot of content we never had.

Mirage
03-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Of course it doesn't look as good as "true HD" (what does this even mean?) games, but I have no idea why you were (or seem to be) expecting that. this port has been a lot more improved than more or less every other ps2->ps3 port we've seen.

Shiny
03-29-2013, 06:20 PM
True HD meaning exactly what it means. It may be 16:9 and have more definition, but it still isn't really HD (meaning having trillions of colors and 64 bit quality) and definitely not comparable to the Bluray quality we get now. They're selling point would have been if they actually really did an HD game which will basically require a lot of work. This is the laziest I've seen them in a while.

Elly
03-29-2013, 07:22 PM
this is only gonna be a retextured port, they never claimed it would be a remake... in the U.S. though we're getting the bonus content previously only available outside of the States, so score for us finally...
as far as it being lazy, it looks like a lot of love went into this port compared to other HD Remixes we've seen released in the past by other companies, this isn't just a rescale like those others it's reskinned too, and that takes time and effort to create all those new textures... far from lazy it's actually on a scale a little better than the Chrono Trigger DS Enhanced Port, as far as effort and love poured into it... would i liike to see a true 1080p remake from scratch? sure i would, do i expect one in the next 10 years? no...

black orb
03-30-2013, 04:53 AM
>>> Tired of waiting for FFX HD? go and play Dark Souls, you will totally forget about FFX, in fact you will totally forget about FF..:luca:

Pete for President
04-01-2013, 11:46 PM
>>> Tired of waiting for FFX HD? go and play Dark Souls, you will totally forget about FFX, in fact you will totally forget about FF..:luca:

So glad you got to like Dark Souls so much despite a rough start! I could not agree more!

Although on topic: if one wants to replay ffx, go for it straight away. They won't change that much other than textures. The gameplay and story will remain the same so you might as well play the ps2 version.

Rostum
04-02-2013, 06:51 AM
True HD meaning exactly what it means. It may be 16:9 and have more definition, but it still isn't really HD (meaning having trillions of colors and 64 bit quality) and definitely not comparable to the Bluray quality we get now. They're selling point would have been if they actually really did an HD game which will basically require a lot of work. This is the laziest I've seen them in a while.

But making games is not the same as making film... What I mean to say is, it doesn't sound like you understand the processes that they had to go through in order to get the quality they have currently shown - it's a lot more work than you realize and cannot be compared with newer current generation games but rather previous PS2 games that have been remastered of which it looks remarkably better.

Roogle
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
But making games is not the same as making film... What I mean to say is, it doesn't sound like you understand the processes that they had to go through in order to get the quality they have currently shown - it's a lot more work than you realize and cannot be compared with newer current generation games but rather previous PS2 games that have been remastered of which it looks remarkably better.

I don't know if I would say that it's a lot more work. If you use a Playstation 2 emulator, you can upscale the graphics by tweaking with options that the original Playstation 2 never had. I did this with Persona 4 and it looked very similar to an "HD remake" on my computer.

Mirage
04-04-2013, 04:04 AM

I went to play Dark Souls and I didn't forget about FFX or FF. In fact, I wanted to forget about dark souls instead.

Shiny
04-04-2013, 05:21 AM

It wasn't a heck of a lot of work, that's apparent. I see that they went and modeled some things that didn't exist due to the fact that they weren't in the 4:9 frame, and they added definition to the textures. It confuses me as to why they would go for the effort of doing that and not make it up to the standards of what's true HD today. Yes, that would require more work. If they don't have any worthwhile extras to this they're not getting my money. They cannot impress with their ghetto HD.

Mirage
04-04-2013, 06:41 AM
i think you just have unrealistically high expectations for something that is simply a slightly enhanced HD port. and you're still ignoring all the international edition content that has never before been released in the US. Maybe you're just not very interested in ffx in the first place.

Rostum
04-04-2013, 06:48 AM

I don't know if I would say that it's a lot more work. If you use a Playstation 2 emulator, you can upscale the graphics by tweaking with options that the original Playstation 2 never had. I did this with Persona 4 and it looked very similar to an "HD remake" on my computer.

PS2 emulators do no magically create high resolution textures or increase the polygon count. All it does is run some filters that do not create "HD" remaster quality that we see in what they've shown of FFX remastered.

Roogle
04-05-2013, 04:24 PM
PS2 emulators do no magically create high resolution textures or increase the polygon count. All it does is run some filters that do not create "HD" remaster quality that we see in what they've shown of FFX remastered.

I have to admit that I don't have a discerning eye for graphics, but changing the resolution of a game to look better makes a big difference to me. This will look better than upscaling and running some graphical filters it on a Playstation 2 emulator, but I'm not really a fan of enhanced ports, and I think that they should add more content like Atlus did with Persona 4 Golden. I think Final Fantasy VII can use this treatment more than Final Fantasy X.

Mirage
04-05-2013, 10:03 PM
For the 6th time, they are adding more content, unless you've already got the international version of both FFX and FFX-2. The vast majority of people outside of Japan do not.

black orb
04-06-2013, 05:40 AM

I went to play Dark Souls and I didn't forget about FFX or FF. In fact, I wanted to forget about dark souls instead.
>>> M...Mirage???.. Since when you became a FFX fan? I thought you hated it.:luca:

Mirage
04-06-2013, 08:53 AM
I liked it enough to finish it twice, and I liked X-2 enough to finish it 102%, and get 2x iron dukes for everyone.

Also, I think FFX HD looks better than Dark Souls. Take that, "true HD graphics"!