PDA

View Full Version : To Mars and never come back

Chemical
03-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Home - Mars One (http://mars-one.com/en/)

Dutch company is currently looking for applicants to take a one way ticket to Mars to set up a permanent settlement in 2023. The only catch is if you go you can never come back. Okay, the other only catch is your life on this distant planet will be broadcast to the world as a reality television show. Currently 1,000 applications have been received for the initial batch of pioneers.

If you qualified would you go let alone apply?

I would say yes, I would love to be one of the first to settle on Mars... the mere thought just blows my mind in awesomeness.

chionos
03-27-2013, 02:02 AM
If I didn't have responsibilities here on earth, I'd do it in a heartbeat, absolutely. I've seriously thought about talking my wife into it when they start asking for families.

Jinx
03-27-2013, 02:05 AM
No.

Aulayna
03-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that this makes a perfect setting for a Horror film? xD

Leeza
03-27-2013, 02:12 AM
No, Aulayna. I'm with you there. Seen too many sci-fi/horror movies. :)

No, I would not go. :cat:

Jinx
03-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that this makes a perfect setting for a Horror film? xD

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g107/tardisrosedalek/TheWatersofMarsPoster.png

Rocket Edge
03-27-2013, 02:52 AM
It was done.

I would go! My existence would be remembered forever. :cool:

Shorty
03-27-2013, 03:55 AM
Hell no I wouldn't do it. My life is here, not on Mars.

Okay, I might go if I could bring all of my trout and all of my pets and pick my companions and be supplied with an unlimited amount of sixlets and gin and turn the transportation into a party shuttle. Other than that, no.

Jinx
03-27-2013, 03:57 AM
Too dry for me.

Denmark
03-27-2013, 04:10 AM
wait wait wait

we're going to trust REALITY SHOW PARTICIPANTS to colonize Mars?

really

just

really.

http://dmzsports.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/snooki-situation.jpg

*shudder*

Quindiana Jones
03-27-2013, 04:28 AM
They better send mixed genders, or I'm not interested.

Calliope
03-27-2013, 04:32 AM
Bwahaha, what if you suckers did this and then it was just like The Truman Show?

Quick, someone help me fund a " space exploration and research facility". We can cook up some hostile aliens to harass the home base and steal all the booze, and then we'll have one benevolent one that just wants to learn to ride a bicycle.

Chemical
03-27-2013, 04:39 AM
wait wait wait
we're going to trust REALITY SHOW PARTICIPANTS to colonize Mars?

The astronauts must be intelligent, creative, psychologically stable and physically healthy.
What are the qualifications to apply? - Mars One (http://mars-one.com/en/faq-en/21-faq-selection/251-do-i-qualify-to-apply)

So, no... these wont be your typical reality show participants.

NorthernChaosGod
03-27-2013, 04:57 AM
I'd be pretty down. Colonizing Mars would be quite the accomplishment.

Jinx
03-27-2013, 04:58 AM

Julian would obviously be the one POPULATING Mars.

NorthernChaosGod
03-27-2013, 05:01 AM

Julian would obviously be the one POPULATING Mars.

k5wfusuQKcs

Pumpkin
03-27-2013, 05:36 AM
You could not pay me enough money to do this.

Your thought processes are persistent.
You persevere and remain productive. No
You see the connection between your internal and external self. No
You are at your best when things are at their worst. No
You have indomitable spirit. No
You understand the purpose of actions may not be clear in the moment, but there is good reason—you trust those who guide you. No
You have a “Can do!” attitude. No
You adapt to situations and individuals, while taking into account the context of the situation.
You know your boundaries, and how/when to extend them.
You are open and tolerant of ideas and approaches different from your own.
You draw from the unique nature of individual cultural backgrounds. No
You ask questions to understand, not to simply get answers.
You are transferring knowledge to others, not simply showcasing what you know or what others do not.
You trust in yourself and maintain trust in others. No
Your trust is built upon good judgment. No
You have self-informed trust. No
Your reflection on previous experiences helps to inform the exchange of trust. No
You are flexible in how an issue / problem / situation is approached. No
You are not constrained by the way you were initially taught when seeking solutions.
Your humor is a creative resource, used appropriately as an emerging contextual response.
You have a good sense of play and spirit of playfulness. No
You are aware of different forms of creativity.

Tigmafuzz
03-27-2013, 05:43 AM
Heh, I remember hearing about this. (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/143728-would-you-go-mars.html)

Of course I would.

blackmage_nuke
03-27-2013, 06:08 AM
I have trouble following orders and my crewmates would probably throw me out the airlock.

Also i feel like this is either
a) a huge reality show prank like that one where they got a bunch of men to date a girl who was actually a guy (they wont be on mars)
or
b) a cult (the wont be on mars)

Chemical
03-27-2013, 06:51 AM
I just signed up for the applicant news letter. I will apply when able. But don't count on me populating the planet :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Maybe they will find Prothean ruins?

chionos
03-27-2013, 07:52 AM

I wish!
Other than the prospect of having to carry NCG's baby, this is sounding better and better.

Bubba
03-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Why would anyone want to live on Mars? It has literally NOTHING on it.

There's probably a Starbucks but those fuckers are everywhere.

Jinx
03-27-2013, 03:50 PM

I wish!
Other than the prospect of having to carry NCG's baby, this is sounding better and better.

That's the only reason I WOULD apply. :smug:

KoShiatar
03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
I think I'd miss Earth too much. I love the signs of the past that are all over here. Not just ancient art, but used objects, an old stone, a house in ruin... I don't think I could live happily without them.

Quindiana Jones
03-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Has anybody ever read The Gold at Starbow's End? Because I hope to god that happens.

Loony BoB
03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
I could never do this. There are too many things on Earth that I couldn't leave behind.

Psychotic
03-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Not yet, but aged 45, 50? Yeah. I might be ready then.

Calliope
03-27-2013, 08:12 PM
I think I'll do it, but only if I get an ant farm and some potato chips.

Slothy
03-27-2013, 08:25 PM

Actually, payment would be unnecessary since if you're never coming back then money isn't really valuable to you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Yes, I would absolutely do this. If it weren't for my being married and my history with depression, I'd have already applied.

NorthernChaosGod
03-27-2013, 10:37 PM

I wish!
Wtf is wrong with that? :colbert:

I wish!

That's the only reason I WOULD apply. :smug:

I love you, Boobies.

Miriel
03-27-2013, 10:49 PM

Yeah, it sounds nightmare-ish.

But I would watch the TV show of it. I'd watch in horror and fascination as everyone inevitably goes crazy and starts killing each other.

Renmiri
03-27-2013, 11:22 PM
I am not going but can think of a few politicians I'd like to "volunteer" to go :bgl::bigsmile::jess:

Chemical
03-28-2013, 12:51 AM
I'd watch in horror and fascination as everyone inevitably goes crazy and starts killing each other.

I wouldn't mind dying on Mars as long as it wasn't on impact.

Jinx
03-28-2013, 02:56 AM
Maybe this is where all of the fundie Christians can go to build their perfect society.

Slothy
03-28-2013, 03:36 AM
Maybe this is where all of the fundie Christians can go to build their perfect society.

They'd lack the requisite scientific knowledge to survive the trip thou... oh I see what you did there.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lndkw0pvIB1qioij1o1_500.jpg

Pike
03-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Hell yes I would do this. My idea of the perfect world is just sitting in one spot, indoors, playing games for the rest of my life. Sign me right the heck up.

Madame Adequate
03-28-2013, 01:18 PM
>People saying no

How can you be THAT damaged? How can you so thoroughly lack the most basic elements of humankind? How can you be devoid of the need to explore and push boundaries? I... I just can't understand.

Chemical
03-28-2013, 02:53 PM
>People saying no

How can you be THAT damaged? How can you so thoroughly lack the most basic elements of humankind? How can you be devoid of the need to explore and push boundaries? I... I just can't understand.

WWJTKD?

http://www.theschoolforheroes.com/SfHArt/cl_blog/picture_boldlygo.jpg

Jinx
03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
>People saying no

That's not it at all.

Mars is just a fucking shit hole. Why would anyone want to live there? If it a was cool planet with like oceans and shit, or the moon or something--sure.

Slothy
03-28-2013, 03:39 PM
That's not it at all.

Mars is just a fucking shit hole. Why would anyone want to live there? If it a was cool planet with like oceans and shit, or the moon or something--sure.

What? Mars is way cooler than the Moon. o_0

Flaming Ice
03-28-2013, 03:45 PM

Good idea... we can build nuclear bombs in secret and destroy earth!

:D

No society could be perfect no matter which people go.:)

Quindiana Jones
03-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Stick me alone on an island and you'll have just made one perfect society, and considerably improved the other.

Pike
03-28-2013, 05:52 PM
>People saying no

That's not it at all.

The point of going to Mars is to MAKE it like that.

Unbreakable Will
03-28-2013, 05:56 PM
No. I have way too many responsibilities here.

Jinx
03-28-2013, 06:26 PM
>People saying no

That's not it at all.

Mars is just a smurfing trout hole. Why would anyone want to live there? If it a was cool planet with like oceans and trout, or the moon or something--sure.

It's a fucking desert with no water. No matter what you do, it will remain to be a shithole.

Shorty, back me up, girl. She lived in the desert for a year or three or something? Just cos there's civilization there and shit doesn't mean it's a cool place to live. End of.

Quindiana Jones
03-28-2013, 06:38 PM
These people will be going there with the sole purpose of making it like that, which they will do every day for the rest of their lives. You are a silly bumhole. :colbert:

Shorty
03-28-2013, 07:07 PM
I lived in the desert for five years. I'd rather be dead on earth than alive on Mars.

Pike
03-28-2013, 07:35 PM
>People saying no

That's not it at all.

Mars is just a smurfing trout hole. Why would anyone want to live there? If it a was cool planet with like oceans and trout, or the moon or something--sure.

It's a fucking desert with no water. No matter what you do, it will remain to be a shithole.

This is massively incorrect but I cba to go into detail right now xD

And I don't care what it is; if I can sit on my ass and play vidya all day and not have to deal with anyone then sign me up.

Quindiana Jones
03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Pike, I think you've misinterpreted the purpose of this mission. xD

I lived in the desert for five years. I'd rather be dead on earth than alive on Mars.

Me too, apart from that bit about Mars.

Slothy
03-28-2013, 08:09 PM
It's a smurfing desert with no water. No matter what you do, it will remain to be a trouthole.

Allow me Pike.

No water except for the copious amounts frozen in polar ice caps (and that assumes none under the surface which isn't true since there's permafrost which stretches farther than the ice caps).

The Northern ice cap alone is about 56% the size of the Greenland ice sheet. The southern ice cap, despite covering a smaller area of the planets surface is thicker and has about as much ice as the Northern cap. If you melted one of them it would release enough water to cover the entire surface of Mars to a depth of about 11m (about 36 feet for you dirty yanks).

Does it ever get tiring being wrong about Mars TB?

Psychotic
03-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Maybe this is where all of the fundie Christians can go to build their perfect society.I thought that was how America got started.

Araciel
03-28-2013, 08:46 PM
They're still trying to start it.

Burtsplurt
03-28-2013, 09:12 PM
I would definitely do it. There's nowhere left on Earth to explore. Everest is pretty much a tourist destination. The idea of doing something new, pushing humankind's boundaries, is a massive thing. There aren't many people I admire more than pioneers such as Captain Scott.

I think I could die a happy man.

Miriel
03-28-2013, 09:18 PM
>People saying no

If you want to go, fine. I'll be happy to watch about your exploits. I really do think this will make for excellent TV.

But not wanting to go to a desolate hell scape is totally the reasonable response. Not having the basic elements of humankind my ass. Are you currently exploring all the wonders of Earth? Have you hiked the Pacific Crest Trail? Have you pushed yourself to run a 100 mile ultra marathon? Have you gone to the resource lacking nations of Earth to help build wells? Are you currently pushing the boundaries of science, literature, art? If you're not already doing all this stuff on earth, don't be sitting there acting all highfalutin just because you fetishize space exploration and think that by doing this one nightmarish thing, that this makes you better than all the people accomplishing extraordinary things right here on Earth.

Don't be that guy who doesn't want to do stuff simply because other people have done it before you. YOU still haven't done it. It's like when people stop liking a band because it becomes too mainstream. ugh.

Denmark
03-28-2013, 09:19 PM
There's nowhere left on Earth to explore.

except, you know, 95% of the ocean that covers 72% of the earth's surface. 68.4% of the Earth left unexplored.

IT'S OCEAN VS. SPACE TWO Y'ALL

space exploration is equally important, though. colonizing mars? i dunno. maybe.

Jinx
03-28-2013, 09:26 PM
You can make a civilization, but you can't make a fucking ocean.

I don't mind if other people want to do this, but yeah, I actually do take offense at being told I'm an idiot for not wanting to.

Slothy
03-28-2013, 09:33 PM
I don't recall anyone calling you an idiot.

And I think it would be more accurate to say we can't make an ocean on Mars right now. Who knows what the future will bring.

Jinx
03-28-2013, 09:35 PM

And I think it would be more accurate to say we can't make an ocean on Mars right now. Who knows what the future will bring.

It wasn't said outright, but it was implied.

i.e. "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?"

Slothy
03-28-2013, 09:37 PM
I think you're taking things a bit too personally. No one is implying anyone is an idiot for not wanting to go Mars.

Denmark
03-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Does it ever get tiring being wrong about Mars TB?

Miriel
03-28-2013, 09:39 PM
No one is implying anyone is an idiot for not wanting to go Mars.

Pumpkin
03-28-2013, 09:44 PM
There are a few reasons I would not want to go. Lack of interest is one of them. There are other people who would be happier to do it and better qualified and could contribute more is another. Having responsibilities. The big one for me though is probably the fact that I hate change. With a passion. I mean I can do it when necessary and deal with the depression and the intense discomfort if its making an improvement on my life (moving, getting a job, etc) or if it's something small changing shampoo (this also makes me uncomfortable the first few times) but something like moving to Mars would make me extremely unhappy and would almost certainly severely set off my depression. Meaning I would be a big ball of misery and it would do nothing for anyone.

I know there are a lot of people out there who don't feel the same but I just can't imagine leaving everything I know and people I care about and basically my life to make a decision that cannot be unmade. It's just depressing for me.

Also Vivi, I get what you're saying about money being irrelevant, I was just saying that to illustrate my point that there is no way I would go to Mars.

Slothy
03-28-2013, 09:44 PM
I never said people weren't implying you Earthers are crazy. But idiot is something else entirely.

And Denmark, telling someone they are objectively wrong is not the same as calling them an idiot.

Shorty
03-28-2013, 09:45 PM

It wasn't said outright, but it was implied.

i.e. "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?"

I'm just going to jump in here and say that you often say things like this. Just sayin'.

mars sux erth rules

Denmark
03-28-2013, 09:46 PM
i was just pointing out the part that could be taken as a personal attack.

Slothy
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Or the sort of ribbing I do everyday with absolutely everyone. I'll try and add in more emotions so it's more obvious from now on. :p

Chemical
03-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Teraforming seems interesting and could be a possibility in the future. However, I am more interested in the social and ethical exploration that will be occuring. The adventure to a new planet seems, as some have pointed out, a chance to reform society or challange previous concepts.

In this new society with limited sexual partners an no competition for resources/status, is monogomy or polygomy prevalant?

How does the removal of a tangibile authority figure affect this new society? Eg. Crime is not dealt with through a court of law anymore since a person who is the offender can not be sent back to Earth.

It's pretty cool and could go totally The Beach or have the potential to be something more healthy and efficient.

Have you ever heard of the experiment with the 5 monkies? Well this is a pretty big opportunity to do things that just -aren't- done that way around here.

I realllly want to go to Mars. I want to be apart of that. Plus all the cool experiments.

Renmiri
03-29-2013, 01:44 AM

Nothing against Mars or exploring but I have kids and they need me here.

krissy
03-29-2013, 03:01 AM
The Mars Desert Research Station - In Focus - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/03/the-mars-desert-research-station/100472/)

NorthernChaosGod
03-29-2013, 03:10 AM
To be fair to MILF, I don't think he expects anyone here to actually drop everything in their life to hop the next space shuttle for Mars. More likely he thinks people should at least have the curiosity to want to go given the chance. I have family and responsibilities here on Earth too, but I think colonizing Mars would be a huge contribution to the human race as a whole.

Jinx
03-29-2013, 03:16 AM
Yeah, but again--Mars is a shithole. If we colonizing Neptune, heeeeeells yeah.

Quindiana Jones
03-29-2013, 04:10 AM
Neptune is a gas giant. That is literally a shithole. You suck at space. :colbert:

krissy
03-29-2013, 04:20 AM
i want to colonize mercury

http://www.freewebs.com/jingking99/photos/null/pic_1211579086_10.jpg

Calliope
03-29-2013, 04:38 AM
I have to go now, my planet needs me

Mikztsu
03-29-2013, 07:15 AM
I would have to get very very bored down here.

Pike
03-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Yeah, but again--Mars is a shithole. If we colonizing Neptune, heeeeeells yeah.

Neptune is a gas giant, you won't be able to see anything at all interesting and you'll be stuck inside a space station. By the time it gets to the point where you can go outside and/or actually see anything it'll be terraformed, same as with Mars. :p

Madame Adequate
03-29-2013, 09:30 AM
>People saying no

That's not it at all.

Well first of all I think climbing Mons Olympus or walking the length of Valles Marineris would be pretty cool regardless of oceans and trout, and I don't see how the Moon is any cooler than Mars is, but I think the main reason I would want to live there is because it is another smurfing planet holy trout how awesome is that.

You can make a civilization, but you can't make a smurfing ocean.

I don't mind if other people want to do this, but yeah, I actually do take offense at being told I'm an idiot for not wanting to.

We can't make an ocean? We destroyed one in twenty years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aral_Sea) by smurfing accident, and all we need to do with Mars is slam some ice asteroids into the planet. I'm pretty sure we can make one if we wanted to. I don't know what your obsession with oceans is though, I mean if it's the naval angle then you've got spaceships.

Also I guess it'd be fair enough to take offense at being called an idiot. If only I had done so. :roll2

>People saying no

If you want to go, fine. I'll be happy to watch about your exploits. I really do think this will make for excellent TV.

But not wanting to go to a desolate hell scape is totally the reasonable response. Not having the basic elements of humankind my ass. Are you currently exploring all the wonders of Earth? Have you hiked the Pacific Crest Trail? Have you pushed yourself to run a 100 mile ultra marathon? Have you gone to the resource lacking nations of Earth to help build wells? Are you currently pushing the boundaries of science, literature, art? If you're not already doing all this stuff on earth, don't be sitting there acting all highfalutin just because you fetishize space exploration and think that by doing this one nightmarish thing, that this makes you better than all the people accomplishing extraordinary things right here on Earth.

Don't be that guy who doesn't want to do stuff simply because other people have done it before you. YOU still haven't done it. It's like when people stop liking a band because it becomes too mainstream. ugh.

I'm having some trouble and perhaps you can help me: Can you show me where I said any of that stuff in my post? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't say a goddamn thing about the wonders of Earth, exploring places on this planet, or pushing myself or the boundaries of art and science. In fact I think there are an enormous number of things down here on Earth that are amazing and if I had the means I'd be out there exploring every last corner of the planet. Heck one of the things I'd love to do is visit the world's most extreme points, like the most northerly inhabited place and the most remote islands and all kinds of things like that. I'd love to drive across America, or even from Nome to Tierra del Fuego. I desperately want to visit ancient sites like Troy and the Great Wall and the Karnak Temple Complex and Petra. The main reasons I'm not doing stuff like that is because of my disability and my lack of financial means. And I won't presume to claim that I'm succeeding but yes, I am actually trying to push the boundaries of literature.

I don't want to do anything 'first' (I won't deny it'd be cool as heck, but I don't want to do it to BE first or anything). I have absolutely no idea where you got that from. All I said was that I don't understand how people could lack the incessant drive to do things like go to Mars. The same drive that makes people explore the wonders of Earth, hike the Pacific Crest Trail, or run a 100 mile ultra-marathon is what makes people want to go to Mars. Pushing the boundaries of science? Hmmm I wonder what one of the primary reasons I "fetishize space travel" is. Maybe it's because the fruits of the space program to date have given us such technological wonders as advancing MRI Scanners, highly efficient solar panels, and little things like modern computers and the infrastructure needed for the Internet. So in short you quite literally listed a bunch of reasons that support my argument because unless you HAVE that drive to explore and understand absolutely none of that trout in your post even matters. I'm not acting "highfalutin", I'm saying that I don't comprehend how the ambition you are citing ends at the boundary of Earth's atmosphere.

But please do continue to be super mad because I consider curiosity and the desire to explore core, indeed defining, aspects of our species and I wonder how people can lack them.

Quindiana Jones
03-29-2013, 02:44 PM
MILF, did you just call me a dickhead? Screw you, man. I don't deserve that sort of talk.

Chemical
03-29-2013, 03:38 PM
78 posts later and not a single quip about colonizing Uranus. :cool: Forshame eoff, forshame.

Jinx
03-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Again, MILF. How is not wanting to go to Mars lacking curiousity? Fuck.

And for the record--yes, I know Neptune is a gaseous planet. It's also not fucking ugly as shit like Mars.

NorthernChaosGod
03-29-2013, 08:54 PM
You're ugly. :colbert:

Slothy
03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/MarsSunsetCut.jpg

If that's ugly then I don't want to see beautiful.

krissy
03-29-2013, 09:21 PM
78 posts later and not a single quip about colonizing Uranus. :cool: Forshame eoff, forshame.

not a problem

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/43/Sailoruranus.jpg/220px-Sailoruranus.jpg

Jinx
03-29-2013, 09:32 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/MarsSunsetCut.jpg

If that's ugly then I don't want to see beautiful.

If that's beautiful to you, I really don't want to see what your standards for beauty are.

Slothy
03-29-2013, 11:48 PM
I think someone needs glasses. :p

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/MARS-Viking.jpg

Yeah, I'm not going to image tag that since the original is 6445x6445.

Jinx
03-30-2013, 12:11 AM
You think you're proving some point, but you really aren't.

Slothy
03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
What point? I'm just providing some stunning images for those in this thread that actually appreciate them. We've already determined that your taste in planets is somewhat suspect. I mean, of the three gas giants within the solar system you could choose from, you picked the least interesting and attractive one as your example of a beautiful planet? Everyone knows Jupiter is the best gas giant.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/images/content/709568main_jupiter-800x755.jpg

Denmark
03-30-2013, 12:42 AM
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/image/neptune_voy2.jpg

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/image/planetary/saturn/saturn.jpg

yeah, jupiter's okay. but all the planets are.

Slothy
03-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Neptune is fairly monochromatic and Saturn is less interesting than its rings. Jupiters colour variations, storms that could swallow the Earth, and http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Hs-2009-23-crop.jpg are all more visually interesting if you ask me.

Plus watching the revolution of Jupiter is a thing of beauty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PIA02863_-_Jupiter_surface_motion_animation_1fps.ogv

NorthernChaosGod
03-30-2013, 02:38 AM
Yeah, Jupiter is the best of the three.

Madame Adequate
03-30-2013, 08:39 AM
There are four gas giants :colbert:

Denmark
03-30-2013, 08:59 AM
yeah but nobody wants to look at uranus

Pike
03-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Pluto is the best planet

RIP in peace :( :cry: :G :whimper: :crying2: :crying:

Slothy
03-30-2013, 12:13 PM

How the fuck did I think there were three? Excuse me while I go kill myself now.

Faris
03-30-2013, 01:11 PM
I keep reading this thread's title in the http://battlenations.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/leave-now-and-never-come-back-meme.jpg and it is driving me crazy.

If you qualified would you go let alone apply?

Nope, nope. Not until they make a way to go back.

Bubba
03-30-2013, 02:22 PM
What the hell are you guys talking about?

The best plant is clearly the Giant Pitcher Plant. It is both beautiful and deadly in equal measures.

NorthernChaosGod
03-31-2013, 12:16 AM

How the fuck did I think there were three? Excuse me while I go kill myself now.

I'll just watch. :p

fire_of_avalon
03-31-2013, 03:16 AM
I never said people weren't implying you Earthers are crazy. But idiot is something else entirely.

And Denmark, telling someone they are objectively wrong is not the same as calling them an idiot.
Ahahahahaa, Earthers.

I don't know if I could do that. Maybe if I got really bored down here and didn't have anyone left I wanted to see or hold again, I would go. It's the not coming back that bothers me.

Night Fury
03-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Definitely. Step one to becoming Tara Shepard.

Tigmafuzz
04-01-2013, 03:47 AM
These arguments about personal preference are hilarious.

qwertysaur
04-01-2013, 06:51 AM
I prefer to live on a planet with a magnetic field that deflects the constant stream of deadly cosmic radiation from the sun. Also planet wide dust storms are a turn off as well.

Iceglow
04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
I would be interested in going, I'd certainly apply for it and see who else is going, that'd be the deal breaker for me is who else got to go.

Miriel
04-01-2013, 11:46 AM
But please do continue to be super mad because I consider curiosity and the desire to explore core, indeed defining, aspects of our species and I wonder how people can lack them.

Oh c'mon, you know better than to do the whole, "Oooh ho ho, why you so mad? Just calm down" tactic. Cause seriously? Who gets mad about this stuff? Unless, you're legit mad at the idea that people don't want to go to Mars. Like that idea offends you, which I don't think it really does, unless I'm totally mistaken.

I do think the whole point of my post either just completely went past you, or you're deliberately ignoring it. The point being that it makes no sense to call someone damaged or uncurious for not wanting to go to Mars, when there is such a crapton of amazing things to do and accomplish and explore right here on Earth. The whole point of my post was about how ridiculous it is to make the claim that to not want to go to Mars is somehow equal to not having basic human traits, which is something you're STILL insisting in your rebuttal post. Which is bonkers. BONKERS.

It's not like a single person in this thread is advocating that no one goes to Mars.

We have the ability these days, to share our experiences with each other in a freakin' remarkable way. YOU can go to Mars and give up everything to do it. And I can witness it by watching the extravaganza on TV, and then go about fulfilling my career goals, having children, seeing the beautiful parts of this world and I will personally, not have been made lesser for it. It for sure doesn't make me, or anyone else who shares this sentiment of not wanting to go to Mars damaged. It's such a bizarre assumption that I had to make my own assumption that you were ignoring all the things a person could accomplish on Earth in favor of having a big huge blinding boner for Mars.

Dude. It looks like a perfectly round poop. A big round poop. But I mean, if that's the style you dig...

Renmiri
04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Meh, I'd go if I was just finishing college and had no major family ties. It seems like a cool adventure.

But on the north side of 30, single mom with kids and family depending on me, things are different. Being cold, eating bland food, having to worry about leaks leaving me gasping for air ? Get enough of that with my old tired bones already :p Right now my life is dedicated to getting me and my loved ones to survive this crazy 21st century we have. And is more than enough "adventure" for me right now.

Slothy
04-01-2013, 07:52 PM

Dude. It looks like a perfectly round poop. A big round poop. But I mean, if that's the style you dig...

This just in: Miriel has no soul. More at 11.

NorthernChaosGod
04-02-2013, 07:52 AM

You look like a poop. :colbert:

Chemical
04-02-2013, 08:56 AM
I just got an email and I am officially on the newsletter for application. When the time comes you have a week to send in a 1 minute response video to a question. :) vote chemical for mars 2023.

XxSephirothxX
04-03-2013, 08:54 PM
I don't think I'm cut out for a trip to Mars, but the idea of a one-way visit fascinates me. Some scientists actually think it's the only practical way we'll get humans on Mars for the foreseeable future. I listened to this podcast episode about a one way trip to Mar (http://99percentinvisible.org/post/7388874903/one-way-ticket-to-mars)s a couple months ago--highly recommended!

Larahl
04-04-2013, 02:27 AM
I really want to go and be part and do my share in this amazing historical moment, but going away forever feels too overwhelming. Still, I will send an application. If I'm qualified no way I'm missing this chance to an adventure to another planet and be in a spaceship... in space!

Pike
04-04-2013, 02:05 PM
if there is one thing I've learned from this thread it's that Mars is serious smurfing business and is the most polarizing topic in the history of mankind and causes serious amounts of butt devastation all around

http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF020-Skub.gif

Slothy
04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Pike, every topic on this forum is polarizing. :p

But the exploration of space is always serious fucking business. Our survival as a species depends on it.

Pike
04-04-2013, 02:32 PM
But the exploration of space is always serious fucking business. Our survival as a species depends on it.

I agree, of course, but I really wanted an excuse to post skub.

Jinx
04-04-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure our species really deserves to carry on, tbh. Once we die out, we should die out naturally. In case you hadn't notice, our species kind of sucks.

Pike
04-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Our species landed on the moon about 50 years after inventing heavier than air flight just because we could.

Our species is GREAT.

Slothy
04-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Our species includes Patrick Stewart and Morgan Freeman. Your argument is invalid.

Madame Adequate
04-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Also maybe we should try to improve ourselves as a species (By doing awesome things like pursuing scientific and technological goals) rather than just saying "We're shit, let's give up :monster:"

Also also you've got a deeply incorrect comprehension of what our species is. Our intelligence IS natural. Evolution removed almost every other advantage we could possibly imagine, except the capacity for extraordinary endurance, and traded it all in for intelligence. Saying we should forego that and allow ourselves to "die out naturally" (as though species-wide suicide could be natural) is utterly nonsensical. It is exactly equivalent to arguing that cats should stop using their claws and stealth, that bears should shave their fur, or that fish shouldn't use their fins to swim around.

Calliope
04-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Personally, I would rank the elimination of pollution, habitat destruction, poverty and disease over space exploration. Until our lives on Earth are fair and harmonious, we have no business in overconfidently going where no man has gone before.

Slothy
04-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Personally, I would rank the elimination of pollution, habitat destruction, poverty and disease over space exploration. Until our lives on Earth are fair and harmonious, we have no business in overconfidently going where no man has gone before.

You seem to believe that we have to choose between one or the other. In fact, so many technological advances can be traced back to the space program that I'd argue that it's almost irresponsible not to continue to explore space.

In fact even just looking at your list of problems we need to overcome on Earth, many could be helped or solved by advancing into space. Elimination of pollution? We need cleaner fuels and better ways to store energy and recycle a great many materials. All things which may be required on long term space voyages. Habitat destruction? Colonization of other worlds to allow the human race to continue to expand and exploit resources gained from worlds, asteroids and moons with no life could help alleviate this. Poverty and disease? Poverty is really not something that will be solved faster if we stop investing in the exploration of space. We're not going to suddenly solve the problems inherent in present day political systems, international relations, and economics by taking money from space programs and throwing it at these. Particularly when the amount being spent on space exploration is a pittance compared to things like the US defense budget. Same goes for curing disease really. The biggest problem with disease in the world are preventable illnesses which crop up in third world countries that you don't see here. It's utterly pathetic that that's true, but we can blame pharmaceutical companies, the patent system, and god knows how many other factors for that being the case. As for more first world diseases like cancer, these are an issue, but you're not going to cure them by just throwing money at them. In fact, you might be less likely to cure them if you just throw money at them. We actually have things like MRI's these days because we went into space, not because we gave doctors research grants so they could cure us.

My point being, the idea that we have to choose between solving problems on Earth and going into space is a false dichotomy. Both sides can and have benefited from the other and that should be encouraged to continue, not the other way around.

Calliope
04-04-2013, 07:41 PM
We don't have to choose, but I think that we should because any money or fuel spent on space exploration is wasteful while we still have so many problems around scarcity (or perceived scarcity) of resources, animals becoming extinct, etc. There are many valuable qualities and achievements to be had by explorers, scientists, etc., I'm just not sure why those breakthroughs can't be made without the allure of travelling through space. I'm certain that there is a list somewhere, but what common, practical good has come of the moon landing, other than perhaps velcro? I also don't think that humans have the right to exploit resources simply because they find them on interplanetary ecosystems. So I guess I disagree, but I don't mind that we do.

NorthernChaosGod
04-04-2013, 09:04 PM
We don't have to choose, but I think that we should because any money or fuel spent on space exploration is wasteful while we still have so many problems around scarcity (or perceived scarcity) of resources, animals becoming extinct, etc. There are many valuable qualities and achievements to be had by explorers, scientists, etc., I'm just not sure why those breakthroughs can't be made without the allure of travelling through space. I'm certain that there is a list somewhere, but what common, practical good has come of the moon landing, other than perhaps velcro? I also don't think that humans have the right to exploit resources simply because they find them on interplanetary ecosystems. So I guess I disagree, but I don't mind that we do.

Seriously?

NASA Technologies Benefit Our Lives (http://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html)

Calliope
04-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Yes, and I said so with the express purpose of provoking someone to do my research for me - so thanks, I'll read that.

Crop
04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Yes, no doubt. Seriously, where do I sign up?

I love my life here on Earth, but being one of the first people on Mars would be remembered for the rest of time. I mean we all end up dying anyway, might as well do something super epic before you go.

Madame Adequate
04-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Also take a look at this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/NASA_dollars.jpg

Spending on NASA is a really good idea in tough economic times because it keeps things moving.

Slothy
04-05-2013, 02:16 PM

NCG, the sexy man that he is, covered a lot of the technological end. I'd like to add one big one that isn't on that list though: miniaturization. There was a time when it was seen as a good thing to have TV's and home stereo systems that were big and bulky like pieces of furniture. Not they fit in my pocket because NASA needed electronics and computers that could do the same job but with a lot less weight and while taking up less space. We can basically thank them for computers no longer taking up entire rooms and allowing the sort of technical advances which have actually saved lives, and which wouldn't have happened if you spent money funding research by a doctor in a lab to cure cancer instead of engineers trying to make faster, smaller computers to go into space.

And that's the point that I'm getting at here: anyone who says that we haven't had substantial benefit in every single field of science and human development because of things the space program gave us, developments that probably wouldn't have happened had we not attempted to overcome the greatest technological challenge humanity had ever faced in the entire history of civilization, is just plain wrong. It ignores the enormity of the challenge of actually going into space and returning in one piece, and just how much technology needed to literally be invented to do the job. Anything that gives that much back in terms of technology and furthering all scientific endeavors, not to mention the positive economic benefits that go with it, can't be described as wasteful. I'm sorry, it's literally just wrong to say that.

Also, I'm not sure why you believe we don't have the right to exploit resources from other planetary or other bodies in the Solar System and beyond? We're talking about bodies with no life to speak of that are rich in resources we need. That they are there and we would benefit is enough reason to utilize them.

NorthernChaosGod
04-06-2013, 02:42 AM
NCG, the sexy man that he is, covered a lot of the technological end.

Thanks, bby. :aimkiss: