PDA

View Full Version : April Steam Events: Heart of the Swarm, FTL, and a special surprise!

Slothy
03-27-2013, 07:37 PM
April will soon be upon us so I'd better get this damn thread up already.

Even though it's not really a Steam game, I still just got my copy and want to play with people. So first up this month we're going to be playing:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121203111513/starcraft/images/8/87/Heart_of_the_Swarm_SC2_Cover1.jpg

Heart of the Swarm folks. Now I know Aulayna mentioned Saturdays not working for her. Not sure about you other SC2 playing folks. Right now I'm tentatively thinking that we'll do this on Sunday, April 7 at around 5pm EST. We could push it to a weekday before or after that if it works better for most people. I'm also always willing to jump online and play folks anytime by the way.

And that actually brings me to the surprise mentioned in the title. This being April or, as accountants like to call it, tax season, I'm going to be putting my tax refund towards something other than cocaine and hookers for once!

For this month, anyone who is able to join in for some team play in the SC2 event (and I may open this up to anyone who gets on to play a game or two with me before the second event if some people want to play but can't make it) your name will be entered into a random draw for a copy of the game FTL: Faster Than Light. I checked my Steam friends and I don't think many of you actually have it.

Which brings us to the second event as well:

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/ftl-faster-than-light-review.jpg

A wonderful little single player strategy game that everyone should play. I'm setting this event for a Sunday as well: April 21 at 5PM EST unless there's consensus on another day working better for everyone. We'll all get on Skype and help each other out/rage at the randomness and how unfair it is that our Engie crew is forced to fight off a bunch of Mantis' that boarded our ship!

There's a prize for this one as well. Anyone who's able to make it on the day of will also be entered into a draw for a copy of the original Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition. It's another awesome game that everyone should play, and I figured what the hell? I've had a gift of it available ever since I pre-ordered Human Revolution and when the hell am I going to have any use for it?

So that's it from me for now. Discuss the events, get yourselves psyched up, or make fun of my taste in games. Have at it!

EDIT: Forgot to include my battle.net info. Anyone who's in feel free to put the particulars in here and I'll edit them into the first post here. You can just add me using my email: emperor dot gestahl at gmail dot com.

Rostum: rostum at live dot com dot au

Skyblade
03-28-2013, 05:54 AM
I don't have any real set schedule, but if I can figure out how the friend list and such works, I'll be happy to let you slaughter me anytime you see me on. Just don't expect me to be good at SCII.

Rostum
03-28-2013, 06:43 AM
I finally got HotS, so I can try to make it though I don't know what my plans are thus far. Just add me on BattleNet under rostum at live dot com dot au. That's on the US server though.

Madame Adequate
03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Everyone get FTL it is amazing.

Slothy
03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
I don't have any real set schedule, but if I can figure out how the friend list and such works, I'll be happy to let you slaughter me anytime you see me on. Just don't expect me to be good at SCII.

The nice thing is that there are plenty of quick and easy options to play SC2 without playing against each other for anyone who isn't so into that thing or is worried about getting their ass kicked. The AI matches alone are quite a bit better than WOL since AI now use different strategies, and the matchmaking for co-op games versus the AI is actually kind of nice.

Everyone get FTL it is amazing.

It would be a crime against humanity not to agree with this. For those who'd rather just buy it than try and win a copy from me, it's on sale on Steam for $5 (regular $10) until tomorrow I believe. There aren't many better ways to spend $5, and most of them would require high class prostitutes to start competing with Steam sales.

edczxcvbnm
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM
HotS? I am there and ready to lose!!

Slothy
04-07-2013, 12:54 AM
So who's pumped for tomorrow? Give us all of your info so I can add you. Remember that there is a sweet game up for grabs people!

Pike
04-07-2013, 01:19 AM
I don't have HotS :(

Slothy
04-07-2013, 02:28 AM
At least you already have FTL then.

Don't worry Pike, we can play Morrowind again sometime soon. :)

kotora
04-07-2013, 12:49 PM
How about playing some WoL? :monster:

Slothy
04-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Might not be a bad idea if some WoL folks want to join in.

EDIT: Perhaps what I can do, since a few people have mentioned not having HotS yet, is do a WOL event next week and include everyone who shows up for that in the FTL draw as well.

kotora
04-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Wanna play a game now Vivi?

Slothy
04-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Wish I had time now. I have to get showered and dressed in about ten minutes and head out to run some errands. Add me though and I'll be happy to play some games when I'm on in the future.

Rostum
04-08-2013, 06:50 AM
This event sucks, no one ever added me.

Slothy
04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Sadly no one ever actually showed up yesterday either. I'll run another event this weekend as well (times to come), but I may also simply take the names of those interested in a copy of FTL in this thread for the draw.

PS: I believe I've lined up a special guest for the FTL skype session in a couple of weeks. And by lined up I mean he told me he was in over Skype last night. I'm debating whether to tell everyone who it is or if you can all figure it out from what little I've said.

Slothy
04-10-2013, 02:14 PM
So I was having a thought for re-attempting a SC2 event this weekend and I'd really only need 3 people to show up for a couple of games to try it.

Basically, what I want to try and do is get some replays for Day[9]'s Funday Monday show next week and see if we can get on. For those not familiar, Day[9] does a SC2 show about 4 days a week, and most Mondays involve showing replays of fans playing games under ridiculous constraints he sets out.

This weeks constraints are to play a 4v4 game where only one person builds units to attack. Everyone else can expand, build workers, build defensive structures, and send money to the guy building the army. I think it could be hilariously good fun, totally non-serious, and it'd be cool if we managed to get a replay on the show, even if it's just because everything goes horribly wrong.

My thoughts on a time are Saturday at 9am eastern time. It seems to be the most reasonable compromise between North America, Australia, and the UK since I know we have members who play in all of those places. I'd be more than happy to volunteer for the job of fighting since I usually end up being the only guy doing that when I play 4v4's anyway. :D

What does everyone think? Are there three people who'd be up for this with me?

kotora
04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm more of a 1v1 guy but if enough people will show up I'll join in.

Slothy
04-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Sadly no one showed for the SC2 game on Saturday morning. You all continue to disappoint me. :p

Anyway, in the interests of deciding who to give a copy of FTL too, I shall include anyone that's posted in this thread and who posts in it until Friday at around 9pm EST. Aside from people I already know have it anyway. After that I'll do the draw, and I expect to see the winner on Sunday. :)

kotora
04-15-2013, 04:35 PM
I've been playing a bit of SC2 this weekend. Ain't seen you around either bro :colbert:

Slothy
04-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Aside from when the event was supposed to happen I was sadly fairly busy. I did get on then though and played a few games while waiting for others to show but never saw anyone come online in SC2 or my Steam friends list.

Freya
04-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Awww. I've been debating on getting FTL but I can't commit to definitive dates right now with my wacky work schedule. I'll try to see if i can get it byt the 21st though.

Slothy
04-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Or you could wait until Friday and see if you win it. :)

krissy
04-17-2013, 04:48 AM
ok but where's the catch

Slothy
04-17-2013, 01:17 PM
The catch is that once you play FTL it will be difficult to play anything else ever again.

Also, the a second name will be picked from the draw and locked in a room with Iceglow for five minutes with the lights out. It'll suck, but hey, I don't make the rules.

Slothy
04-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Okay, so it's time to see who the random number generator picked to win a copy everyone. Is everyone excited?

And the winner is... not Freya sadly. She's going to have to buy her own copy. The actual winner is

edczxcvbnm. A PM will be going out to him shortly. If it turns out he already has it (since I'm really not sure) then I'll simply draw another name of course.

Now I mentioned before that a special guest said he'd be showing up for some FTL action. I think we may as well mention who it is now so that if he doesn't make it we can all be disappointed and everyone can hate me for letting the cat out of the bag. The super secret dude showing up for some FTL will be none other than Jiro! That sexy Aussie mothersmurfer himself.

edczxcvbnm
04-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Because I am a timely person (pppft! Yeah right). I vacate my prize. I swear, Friday Night - Saturday has become my "not online at all" days :/ Odd how that seems to happen.

Slothy
04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Since ed was kind enough to give his prize to her, Freya will be getting the copy of FTL. Hope to see you and a lot more people tonight Freya. It really is a spectacular game.

And on a side note about tonight, I have supper at my parents this evening so I will be just around a half an hour late, but I will definitely be on.

Freya
04-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Omg ed youre amazing! I'll try to get on tonight after I get off work. Hopefully someone else will be on!

edczxcvbnm
04-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Ugh! I am still playing tech support at my parents house so it looks like I miss this event as well :/

Slothy
04-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Well, after about two straight hours of FTL I am beat. This play session has only strengthened my hatred for nebulas, asteroid fields and solar flares.

I'm thinking next month we may revisit TF2 and Morrowind. I'm thinking I'll add an event for each weekend and at different times to better suit folks in different parts of the world. Anyone have any other suggestions for games they want to see come up?

Freya
04-22-2013, 04:30 AM
I wasn't able to get on tonight but i'm trying to install it now. My internet is being wacky so it's taking a bit. Stupid bad provider.

EDIT: Things I learned. I suck at this game but damnit i love it.