PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII - Old and New Playthrough

Forsaken Lover
03-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Replaying FFVII for the first time in years...

Well, I am intending to finish. I've started and abandoned several playthroughs.

I found an awesome hack that totally changed the gameplay. Well, not totally, but it has a lot of neat additions that rekindled my interest in playing through the game.

-Hundreds of enemy modifications.
-Extensive Weapons Modifications. Use of previously unused damage formulas. Weapons for Young Cloud and Sephiroth
-Armor and Accessories Modifications.
-Magic/Summons have been extensively modified. Fat-Chocobo replaces Titan and Each of Odin's attacks are on their own materia. No more KOR, but try out Zantetsuken
-A few new items for inducing Limit Breaks and Transformed status and power-ups
-New materia! Not only new materia for new spells, but many independant and support materia have been modified.
-Toggle 2x and 4x cut between multiple (random) enemies, and single enemy.
-New character portraits
-If you have a gameshark hacking program you can use control Sephiroth and Young Cloud with Limit Breaks and they level up! (I can provide the codes at a later time)
-A buncha other stuff that is more subtle and difficult to list

But yeah, I'm being beaten over the head with the Nostalgia Hammer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3xsW8udZ-w

How awesome is that track? And it's the theme for the tutorial, pussy-ass dungeons.

And ya know, they never did say who Cloud was talking to in his head. I'm guessing we're supposed to infer it's his "real self" but they never clarify.

And they never clarify anything about his mother, as far as i can recall. He has a flashback of seeing her, presumably when he came back to Nibelheim, but it's never addressed again. He certainly isn't screaming "you killed my mother!" at Sephiroth.

Or maybe it was Zack's mom? But I don't think so...

I do vaguely recall during the flashback that Cloud is really weird about actually going into his house. Maybe it doesn't "fit" with his incorrect memory of the events.

About to go through the Train Graveyard on my way to save the Sector 7 Slums. I hear the difficulty spikes like crazy later on but for right now I'm trying to do an Enforced Class Challenge. Cloud is a Paladin is all I've really settled on. Don't really have enough diverse materia or skills to give the other characters a "class" yet.

Elly
03-28-2013, 12:11 PM
well considering they already have Job Classes, all you'll have to do is play up to them with the Materia...
Cloud - Knight
Tiffa - Monk
Barrett - Ranged (like Archers)
Aerith - White Mage
Red XIII - Red/Black Mage
Cait Sith - Should not exist
Cid - Dragoon
Yuiffie - Ninja/Thief
Vincent - Ranged/Berserker

not sure i'd be too happy with not having KotR, not that i used it much, just cause it's kindda iconic for FFVII in my memory... Shiva was always my favorite summon...

Forsaken Lover
03-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Well yeah, it's like FFX where each character is clearly geard towards a certain class, but you can make anyone anything you want.

I'm at Fort Condor right now. The hardest boss thus far was Reno. That guy was a nightmare. Did like 600-damage with his regular physical attacks and I was so busy healing and barely staying alive that I couldn't get everyone out of the Pyramid thing. . Finally had to just put two people in the back row so we could survive. Was still a long fight.

I tried using Young Cloud instead of regular Cloud but the game does not like that. If Cloud is switched out the world map disappears and you can't move. Even if you use a code to make the sprite on the world map Cloud's, the game still won't work right. It sort of did for a while but then after I came out of a fight it went back to the
So I won't be using Young Cloud because I don't want to use two Clouds.

I've never bothered with the Fort Condor thing except when I had to during the Huge Materia part of the game. I think I might try it on this playthrough.

Oh and I was right about Cloud and his mother. He gets all weird if you go into his house during the flashback. He says she just randomly died, even though she was fine...

Speaking of mothers, it's really weird that Elmyra (Aeris' adopted mother) is never mentioned again in anything ever. Like, her daughter died, and no one gave a damn or told her as far as I know.

Roogle
03-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Speaking of mothers, it's really weird that Elmyra (Aeris' adopted mother) is never mentioned again in anything ever. Like, her daughter died, and no one gave a damn or told her as far as I know.

I believe she was held captive alongside Marlene for a large portion of the game. Can anyone confirm this? I know they address her fate in some of the extra materials that were released outside of the game.

krissy
04-01-2013, 01:32 AM
im doing the same thing right now. haven't played in over a decade, i think... but i booted up my original disc in the ps3 a few hours ago and im getting so many feelings

feels like coming home

is that weird

im such a nerd man

anyway playing without any hacks because original discs obv

atrocious translations. aeris refers to everything as 'it'. when i was 12 and still learning english i didn't think this was weird, but i didn't know what she meant.

Roogle
04-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Cait Sith - Should not exist

As you can imagine, Cait Sith is aligned with the Gambler job class because of the nature of his two Limit Breaks. That's a pretty easy one to pick out.

Elly
04-02-2013, 09:54 PM
lol, yeah, i know he's the Gambler Class, very much like Setzer... but "Should not exist is more fitting", as any character that has the ability to instant KO it's own entire party should not exist...

Roogle
04-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Oh, I think that idea was carried over from Final Fantasy VI because Setzer has the same potential with his Slots ability. The chances of happening upon it are extremely low given how many times one uses the command during the course of a normal game. I have never had it happen to me. I know, though, that there is a way to manipulate the Random Number Generator so that you can force the slots in your favor. That might make it more bearable, right?

WildRaubtier
04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
What's the name of the hack you're using, anyway?

Bolivar
04-09-2013, 08:29 PM
I put Cloud in the back, load him down with black magic, and watch his magic stats go through the roof. Gotta keep him alive though!

Damn, that song. FFVII's still Uematsu's best work imo.

Madame Adequate
04-11-2013, 05:00 PM
I figured Cloud did go see his mom, but he was ashamed he never made it into SOLDIER which is why he was uncomfortable about it.

I believe she was held captive alongside Marlene for a large portion of the game. Can anyone confirm this? I know they address her fate in some of the extra materials that were released outside of the game.

Just after getting the Huge Materia from the Rocket, I talked to Cait Sith on the bridge and he said he had told Elmyra and Marlene about Aeris' death, so it seems that you're correct.

I'm currently replaying with a different hack, and there's some seriously hard fights in there but it's great fun. I've also started to try to keep people in 'classes' of a sort, but given only three characters it can be a bit tricky to ensure you've got everything you need.

Madame Adequate
04-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I figured Cloud did go see his mom, but he was ashamed he never made it into SOLDIER which is why he was uncomfortable about it.

Just after getting the Huge Materia from the Rocket, I talked to Cait Sith on the bridge and he said he had told Elmyra and Marlene about Aeris' death, so it seems that you're correct.

I'm currently replaying with a different hack, and there's some seriously hard fights in there but it's great fun. I've also started to try to keep people in 'classes' of a sort, but given only three characters it can be a bit tricky to ensure you've got everything you need.

What's the name of the hack you're using, anyway?

Lost Wing (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10958.0).