PDA

View Full Version : Smile

Calliope
03-29-2013, 04:32 AM
I work in a role where I don't really deal with the public - I'm constantly around members of the public at work, but I'm not really allowed to help people out unless they specifically come up to me and request that I do so. I'm also not particularly encouraged to talk to my coworkers unless I'm working out of public view, so I basically just walk around sorting things and putting them away. Being a fairly serious, reserved person (at work, at least); I often look something like this (http://blog.krisatomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/krisatomic-cheeruplove.jpg?abc533).

A few days ago, a total stranger walked up to me and told me to smile - this wasn't delivered with a joke, or any questioning as to how I was feeling, it was simply an order. This isn't the first time that this has happened, and I think in both recent cases I just stared at the person a moment before walking away - I certainly don't feel as if my natural response would be appropriate as an employee. I do not feel inclined to smile or make small talk for its own sake - which isn't to say that I never do it, but I'm not going to walk around with a smile pasted on my face simply to please anyone who might happen to glance at me, and I'm certainly not going to do it on command.

A coworker asked a second coworker if they liked to smile, and we both agreed that smiling wasn't really something that could be classified as something enjoyable or planned, it's simply a spontaneous, genuine action for us.

Do you have a naturally bubbly, friendly temperament? Is there an appropriate way to respond to people ordering you to smile?

Alright, I'm gonna go hang with kstew now :mad2: :( :mad: :redface: :|

Quindiana Jones
03-29-2013, 04:35 AM
Kick 'em.

Pumpkin
03-29-2013, 04:44 AM
All of my jobs have been working with customers and I went to school for sales and customer service. I was told to smile. All the time. Guy yelling in your face? Smile. Having a crappy day? Smile. Accused of doing something you didn't do? Smile. Always smile. Why? Because its what customers want to see. And the job is about making them happy. Almost any company will tell you that customers are their number one priority. If they had no customers, they'd have no business. Even just stalking shelves, a customer wants to see a smiling employee. Why? I don't know. I guess it does feel better as a customer when an employee smiles when they see you instead of ignoring you. Don't have to talk or anything, just give them a smile, and resume your work.

So basically I am trained to do it and any job I get will involve me smiling at customers even when I want to strangle them. Sometimes that's what lets me smile in their face, yes?

Jinx
03-29-2013, 04:49 AM
You're friends with Kristen Stewart???

Most the time I look rather grumpy. It doesn't mean I actually FEEL grumpy. It just has to do with the fact that for years I needed glass and am thus a squinter, and also that that's just the position my face normally goes into. It's what's comfortable, I guess (I use moisturizer, cos I am just gonna have the worst lines in 10 years :().

I'd be a bit annoyed if someone went up to me and told me to smile. You don't know who I am, stfu.

Pheesh
03-29-2013, 04:51 AM
I am quite a smiley person, and lots of people have told me I have a really good smile so that's probably why I tend to flash it a lot. One of the major times I can expect not to be smiling is at work though. Mostly because it's very hard work and it's much easier to lift heavy things and dig etc. if you're a little bit angry, but also because it's not a job where you interact with any customers so there's really no need.

I think if I were to sum myself up, it'd be that I won't smile over nothing and I can't really force a smile, but I have a lower bar than a lot of people for what I deem worthy of a smile :jess:

fire_of_avalon
03-29-2013, 04:57 AM
If I'm concentrating on something I don't usually smile unless I am successful at doing what ever I'm doing. But whenever I talk to people I tend to have neutral face with a slight lean towards smile. Even on the phone.

However, when I've had a rough day I have had people come up and say SMILE! IT CAN'T BE ALL THAT BAD. To which I give a tight-lipped smirk that says "You don't know the half of it." But once a lady told me to smile and I straight up told her no. That was a bad day.

Miriel
03-29-2013, 05:40 AM
But once a lady told me to smile and I straight up told her no. That was a bad day.

Haha, me too! I said no and just walked away.

Does this only happen to girls? Are there any guys who have had this happen to them? I feel like there is some weird expectation for girls to be smiling and bubbly.

Denmark
03-29-2013, 05:43 AM
no one's ever randomly told me to smile.

edit: ignore the above, pay attention to the below.

well, now, don't you tell me to smile
you stick around, i'll make it worth your while
got numbers beyond what you can dial
maybe it's cause i'm so versatile.

NeoCracker
03-29-2013, 05:44 AM
It's happened to me, and I generally just stare at them funny for a second before leaving.

Unless It is a customer, in which case I smile by default so I never hear it!

Pheesh
03-29-2013, 05:59 AM
Was reminded of this

7xpYAs94ppk

Calliope
03-29-2013, 06:16 AM
But once a lady told me to smile and I straight up told her no. That was a bad day.

Haha, me too! I said no and just walked away.

Does this only happen to girls? Are there any guys who have had this happen to them? I feel like there is some weird expectation for girls to be smiling and bubbly.

I really feel like this wouldn't happen to me if I were a man.

HNB, that video made me smile for realz!

Shiny
03-29-2013, 07:15 AM
I've been told I have a very chill and calm temperment. I talk very calmly at work usually and outside of work. Many people think I am stoner too because of this but in fact I am none of these things. I am highly stressed right now and as a calming mechanism for myself I speak more calmly or I am just exhausted. My face I guess looks normal or tired.

It is my hair that reflects my true state of mind: it is in total disarray right now. My hair is curly and wavy right now despite having naturally straight hair. Yesterday I had to put my hair in a bun cuz I woke up with a mullet. Ffffff

No one would dare tell me to smile if I was visibly upset (which is rare nowadays) because they know if I have gotten to the point of anger it's best to leave me alone. I am not approachable when angry.

Mikztsu
03-29-2013, 07:23 AM
I've been told I have a very chill and calm temperment. I talk very calmly at work usually and outside of work. Many people think I am stoner too because of this

I have been told the same thing, although I can get excited pretty easily. But I can't remember when I have raged or yelled or anything last time. Maybe I am slow in brain like that, have time enough for thinking process before excecution.

I would just probably say do I look that sad?

Spooniest
03-29-2013, 07:30 AM
I remember once doing a Curley impersonation in front of a customer...they asked me to do it again.

:D

Chemical
03-29-2013, 07:42 AM
I had a customer ask me to smile. I obliged while secretly punching him with my mind.

But usually it just comes naturally, I feel like a pretty happy, friendly person.

Iceglow
03-29-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm the type of person who has tons of energy all the time so seem really excitable even when I'm not. I'm constantly finding the funnier side of things though so I like to laugh and joke about a lot which means generally I'm smiling a lot of the time. A lot of the people I know outside of here and a few of those who know me really well on here often comment about how hard it is to upset me and how I don't show people when I'm upset. I don't know if I agree with that assessment I mean, I get upset just the same as everyone else but damn if I'm going to let every person who comes along do that to me and when they do manage it why would I show the world that someone got the best of me?

Looking over this thread, the one thing that stuck in my mind is Ashton saying if a guy is screaming in your face, smile. Yeah over in the UK if a guy is screaming in your face, smiling is likely to get you hit. Laughing in his face however is how I roll, especially when I have the power over what they want. Screaming at me for a refund sir? Get fucked.

Clo
03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
I hate it when strangers tell me to smile. They're strangers! Tell them your dog died.

Old Man: Smile, sweetheart! Hyuck hyuck!
Me: I put my dog down this morning...
Old Man: *asshole*

krissy
03-30-2013, 07:39 PM
*"your dog" will get better results i think

edit: i have indeed been asked to smile before by strangers.

Araciel
03-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Having grown up with crooked teeth I'm not quick to smile around people I don't know.

That being said, I'm getting better now its been corrected but yea...

Rantz
03-30-2013, 11:32 PM
My face looks pretty grumpy by default and seems to fall into a frown even if I'm generally happy. I do get people asking if I'm mad/sad but I've never had anyone straight up tell me to smile. That sounds 5% amusing because it seems like a bizarre suggestion and 95% infuriating because what no. It probably is more expected for women to smile, whereas troubled/thoughtful/whatevs is a more accepted look for men.

I generally don't feel obligated to look happier than I feel, courtesy smiles and the like excepted. I do, however, make an effort lately to smile when I do feel happy, because I think I'm bad at that, and letting a good disposition show outwardly is rarely a bad thing.

Zeldy
04-01-2013, 01:32 AM
I smile too much at work maybe. But then my colleagues wonder why they're always getting the arsehole customers and I've never had one. I manage to get a customer coming to me saying how annoyed they are by the fact that the DVD is scratched and that it's been the 5th one in a row that hasn't worked and manage to have them leaving thanking me for their custom. There's been a few times I've had to put my foot down and refuse service or ask kids to leave, and that's usually with a smile, too..