PDA

View Full Version : Different friends for different things!

Jinx
03-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Other than, you know, just being friends because you enjoy them.

I am currently having a nice bitch rant to Clo. I always talk to her when I need to unload. She and I also have a lot of the same viewpoints, and I enjoy talking to her (and being slightly catty about them with her).

I call Denmark when I'm really upset about something. He's a good person to unload upset sad things on.

I talk to Shorty when I feel the need to gush about something, or be girlie, or I have a really important secret. She's super trustworthy, and I like knowing there's someone I can tell things to.

My irl friend Ann is my goofy fun friend. She and I act like 10-year-olds together. I'm actually sort of serious and withdrawn in a lot of scenarios, but she pulls the idiot out of me.

My irl friend Bryan is my friend who I give advice to. It's an interesting dynamic really--he's a very committed Christian, and I'm, well--and he always comes to me to talk girl problems and ask for advice regarding a girl we both know. He's also super super sweet, and even though we have differing opinions, I feel like he's one of the few Christians who hears me out and treats me with respect. We also like to talk LotR together.

What friends do you go for for different things?

Denmark
03-29-2013, 06:09 PM
I have friends from different communities that don't overlap at all, so it's kind of a weird, I guess, trichotomy? There's basically three main groups of people I interact with.

First group is the real life people. My parents, my brother and sister-in-law, and any friends from school I still keep in contact with. They're all great because I get to actually see them on a fairly regular basis.

Second group is those internet pals what shares my speedrunning hobby. They're a lot of fun to hang out with; usually the topic of conversation is video games and/or pizza or something along those lines. They'd fall into the category of being "chill bros". We don't often talk about personal stuff (though this could be related to the fact that we're a bunch of dudes in our 20s) but they're all awesome people. (these folks also make up the majority of my twitter interactions)

Lastly we have you nerds from EoFF. Since EoFF has been a part of my life in one way or another for 12 years, and since I've bothered to stick around/come back, it must mean I like you people. And I do. I have a bunch of really close friends from this place and many more that I enjoy bullshitting with. You've been the source of most of my social life for the last 6 months when I've been stuck in my parents' house looking for a job. I'm not going to name names here, you know who you are. :<3: Also, I've met far too few of you in person. I'll do my best to change that.

Bunny
03-29-2013, 06:28 PM
I don't really talk to anyone from EoFF anymore.

I pretty much just talk to my fiance for any emotional support or anything like that.

Aulayna
03-29-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't have friends.

kotora
03-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Some friends for playing vidya and other nerd stuff
Some friends for doing cool things like partying and getting drunk (doesn't happen these days now that I'm back from Portugal)
Some friends all over Europe that I can visit once in a while

Most of my daily social interactions are with the EoFF crew, though.

Night Fury
03-29-2013, 09:59 PM
I have my friends at work to get away from my friends in my house/uni. I have a completely separate uni/work life and I LOVE that.

My lovely friend just came over and we had a big chat about stuff that's happened recently and it was lovely, we had a hug too and I just feel so much better about everything. :)

Then I has Phil - he's my go to for everything ^_^

Other friends I'm close to on here.... Freyacakes and Goboboboboooo for Editor-y things. Usually I just spout shit at Boboo :)

And then myself, BoB and Shauna are gonna have a weekend of food and alcohol fueled vidya fun. Eeeeeeh

Shauna
03-29-2013, 10:14 PM
And then myself, BoB and Shauna are gonna have a weekend of food and alcohol fueled vidya fun. Eeeeeeh

Awww yeah, party time.

But uh. I go to Mr Shauna for just about everything - another friend I have can also fill this role. She's pretty great.

Other than that, I have you guys for filling me social interaction quota of the day, and I have a nice relationship with my family and if I need to chat about stuff I can.

Chemical
03-29-2013, 10:20 PM
The friends I have are all multifunctional. Especially the ones I sleep with.

Aulayna
03-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Actually being serious this time:

For most EoFF related stuff it's usually Locky. She's my partner in crime. The Cordy to Fred etc. There are others I'd love to talk too but my lack of free time usually puts a spanner in those plans. Plus I detest the irc channel :p

Outside of EoFF though - living in a different country to where I grew up my friend circle is mostly colleagues who all share similar interests as everyone is essentially a nerd and into video games which leads to a very skewered perspective. Which is great for doing things with those interests but remarkably lame for anything outside of it.

It's like a bubble really, I didn't really realise how much I'd become absorbed in it till I went back home last year for the Olympics and met up with old friends and it literally felt like the bubble had burst. Suddenly I came crashing back to reality, seeing how much things had changed back home, what some of my more long time friends who I'd wrongfully neglected had been doing with their lives and how I'd just really been stagnating for the past 5 years.

So I guess EoFF and my work colleagues are for my nerding. My friends back home are who I talk to about more serious life things and then I have some other online friends for random gushing.

Out of all of them there's probably 1 or 2 who transcend all of those barriers but time is our greatest enemy.

Parker
03-30-2013, 01:07 AM
I have my uni friends for chilling with and drinking with. They're a lot of fun, and I don't tend to speak to them about personal stuff, but I'll always listen.

My best friend at home is my kinda Joey-Chandler friend. We're best friends and total bros and we'd do anything for each other but we don't tend to talk about personal stuff all the time. Another friend at home I go for coffee with, she's close and we tend to talk about personal stuff a lot.

I lost a bunch of other home friends over a silly argument, which sucks for my social life here but I don't mind too much because of all my chill drinking buddies at uni.

Online, I have one friend who I talk to about literally everything. I feel sorry for her because she's my vent and probably thinks I'm smurfing nuts.

Otherwise I havent really been that close to online people until the last year or so on EoFF. I've met a lot of cool internet people all of which I would totes chill with irl. Too many to list but I guess they know who they are.

OH and also I wanna friend to put my penis into. text me ladies.

Pheesh
03-30-2013, 01:40 AM
I have my best friend irl, when he and I hang out I know I am at least always guaranteed a laugh. Together we're really funny and although we don't have as many things in common as we used to it's one of those friendships that works despite that. He's who I will chill out with, but not someone to talk about personal issues with.

My other good irl friend is used solely for talking about video games, tv shows and sports.

Tara is the combination of a friend I can laugh and have fun with, but also tell serious things to and get advice/support back. I also continue to learn new things about her (we have a lot in common as well) so for a while she's been my most interesting friend, cause she's shiny and new.

Shorty is there so I don't feel so bad if I've started drinking at 10am, and also great if you're a little bit broke while traveling and need a place to stay >.> She also somehow brings out the absolute worst, gossipy side in me that I didn't even know I had. I don't know how she does it but whenever I talk with her I'm like a woman in a nail salon.

And this will sound really lame, but my mum. Even though she lives on the other side of the country she and I will speak once a week like clockwork and I can tell her absolutely anything (not saying that I do, though) without fear of being judged. She gives really great advice and asks for advice from me in turn. Back when I still lived at home our senses of humour were the exact same, which has kind of dissipated now, but still I am incredibly proud of the friendship I've been able to forge with my mum.

Clo
03-30-2013, 07:55 PM
This seems to be true for most people -- I think it would be fun to have a "universal" friend. Someone who can handle any conversation with anyone.

I have yet to find that.

Araciel
03-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Snuffie.

I have friends for different levels of nerdiness, from talking about comic books or sci fi movies, to playing hardcore D&D.

I have work friends tha I go out for wings with and play poker.

I will always mention my family as we spend a ton of time together.

There is some cross-over.

Pike
03-31-2013, 09:42 AM
I talk to MILF about vidya gaems

I talk to MILF about stuff that is bothering me

I talk to MILF when I want to geek out about something

I talk to MILF when I want to have a serious discussion on some sort of topic

I talk to MILF when I need to confide in someone

Yeah you better believe I'm gonna put a ring on it

Madame Adequate
03-31-2013, 10:00 AM
I talk to Pike about absolutely everything and I actively avoid everyone else.

Got her finger measured for a ring a couple of days ago~

Pheesh
03-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Aww, congrats guys.

not really, you just took away my chances at the cutest couple ciddie. Die, bastards.

Iceglow
03-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Well there's several social groups I hang out in that don't really overlap it's weird.

We've got my work friends, people like Owen, Grace (yes I'd still hit that!), Sam and so forth who I can joke about most things with and guarantee a fun night out with (especially me and Owen, we seem to get up to trouble that I don't even remember instances of meeting girls and getting off with them. Other times we'll wind up drinking and laughing so much it's a wonder anyone would come near us, more than once we've been mistaken for a couple)

Then we've got my mate J, J kinda fits in there on his own. Dude is like my oldest friend in the world, I've known him solidly since day 1 of year 7. In knowing the man since I was like 11 it's scary just how much we know about each other and at same point don't know. These days it's hard to get time to spend with the guy, we work different sides of the city and even though we live close together sometimes the only time we've got together is down the gym. I'm fairly certain J gets told absolutely anything and everything; who I'm sleeping with/dating/cheating on/want to be dating the why's and what fors and the conversations where we respond at the end with "shit we're getting old" and "dude, I grew the fuck up!? I'm like Peter-fucking-Pan, isn't that impossible?!" we've done many nights out drinking and many nights in gaming over the years. I don't need to do crazy hi-jinks stuff with this dude going out, chatting over a few pints is more than cool enough for me.

Hicks is someone whom I'm slowly losing contact with which sucks dude is like a bro. This guy is my go-to guy when it comes to going to bands and gigs because he will generally always want to go with me to a gig because we love the same bands. He's been getting his head down with work and the gym and finding he hasn't got the time to spend with people like me even though he misses the company. It doesn't help that he still lives in North London and the people he drinks with up there I don't talk to these days for damn good reasons which means even if I was going to go Camden for a pint or two it'd be difficult for him because we might bump in to people who it's frostier than the artic in a blizzard with. Talking wise again like J (whom he has met and spent time with also has met Paul and Quin before now along with one or two other EoFF members) we talk about everything we've not known each other as long as I've been friends with J but we've been pretty close since 2004.

Then we've got people from here, not everyone from here but my bros on here, the guys I love more than life itself and hate just as deeply :love: Paul and Dan mainly let's face it we're the 3 fucking musketeers! The prickhearts. We spent so many hours on XBL together that the jokes have their own jokes. I would give anything to spend time with these dudes and I have skipped dates to chill out when I've needed it. If I'm online on XBL mostly it's with one or both of these dudes. I can tell them anything and fully expect it to never be dropped and the piss be taken mercilessly regardless of if I'm doing well/good for myself hence I probably tell them less than everything but I know equally if I message either one of these guys with a "dude, I could do with a chat" I will have both of them either in my messenger window/inbox asking whats up or telling me to get my ass on xbl to talk. There's others too like Huxley, Baloki and Parker who I talk to a fair bit, though Huxley is so obsessed with Pike he doesn't respond to anyone any more he betrayed us.

Then there's the rest of y'all you're for the most part a group of cool people, I'd spend time down a bar drinking with 90%+ of you and a fair few of you have done just that with me. I come here after all these long years because when I do need public opinion/personal input or to offload I can get that and some good feedback too whilst enjoying myself immensely rest of the time.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Work friends: When I want to drink and get drunk and have semi-serious conversations
Friends from old work places: Drinking and also much more serious conversations (sometimes both) and fun stuff
University friends: Geeking out, going to the movies, life/serious conversation, just all around fun
Other university friends: VIDEO GAMES. We multiplayer a lot of stuff together and also have serious conversations.

Basically, I like to talk about serious stuff but also be silly too with any group of friends.

As for EoFFers? I do not really have many that I keep in touch with anymore, but they are also for serious or lighthearted chats as well as being silly and just chilling. I used to RP with some *looks at Phil* but haven't done that in AGES.

~*~Celes~*~
04-06-2013, 11:59 PM
I have friends at work that I can talk to about anything, i still have a couple of friends from high school that I talk to, but i am a terrible person at keeping in contact, so the person i go to the most is hubby.

Shiny
04-07-2013, 01:50 AM
My friend Andrea who use to go on this site I talk to about relationships, Final Fantasy, the people on this site and Jrock.

College friends I talk to about movies and shows.

Friends I made through my bf we talk about the highs and lows of our days during fellowship.

My good friend since middle school I confide in about hardships like my friend commiting suicide and my grandmother passing.

My bf we talk normally about anythig but I only really confide in my dad or my good friend.

Eoff friends well I have discussed pretty much everything with many of you a some point. The best convos have been the drunk convos and voice messages.