PDA

View Full Version : Salad

Aulayna
04-01-2013, 07:16 AM
For some people Salad is the most boring food in the world, for others it's a sign of diet hell, and others just love it.

Where do you stand with Salad?

Freya
04-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Salad is for rabbits! I am a people!

Madame Adequate
04-01-2013, 08:33 AM
I like salad alright! Just a simple one, some lettuce, cucumber, tomato, and I'm quite happy.

Psychotic
04-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Get out of here with your no good healthy good! :colbert:

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm a good ol' fashion salad tosser! ;)

Caesar, especially the one at my work. Homemade dressing~

Pike
04-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Salad is great if you use baby spinach as a base and then add cheese, tomatoes, eggs, bacon and chicken.

Salad dressing is vile, though.

blackmage_nuke
04-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I've never finished a salad and thought "that was well worth the money"

Pheesh
04-01-2013, 10:22 AM
I have very simple, Italian salads. So just some lettuce, tomatos and cucumber with plenty of salt and olive oil. Mmm, I can eat it by the barrel full.

Jinx
04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm like Phil. I like simple salads. Romaine and baby spinach, some grape tomatoes, a little feta, and balsamic dressing. Om nom nom.

Sometimes we do chef salad dinners. With lots of meat, egg, croutons, cheese, veggies, etc.

Also, cooking up some chicken, throwing buffalo sauce on it, then putting it in a salad with ranch dressing is amazing.

Calliope
04-04-2013, 05:09 PM
I tend to prefer my greens sauteed or juiced. Most salads I come across in moderately priced establishments tend to be wilted little bowls of disappointment, slathered in a suffocation of mayonnaise and regret. Salads do not simply have to be a mix of lettuce, tomato and cucumber, nor do they need to exist only as a side dish - they can be healthful, vibrant and totally satisfying, even without chunks of chicken or tuna strewn throughout them.

The ideal green salad has a balance of bright colours, crisp textures and fresh, interesting ingredients that may include kale, red and yellow capsicum, mushrooms, sesame or sunflower seeds, snowpeas, asparagus tips. I make a killer thai salad which includes an almond-butter and chilli based dressing.

I also enjoy a variety of grain-based salads, using quinoa, barley, freekeh, wheatberries (a recent discovery) and tossed with olives, tomatoes (sundried or fresh), corn, edamame, sultanas or cranberries, and roasted cashews.

Denmark
04-04-2013, 05:24 PM
grilled chicken caesar salad plzkthx

Shorty
04-04-2013, 05:47 PM
I would never buy a salad from an establishment where there are other food options. I will rarely eat salad, and if I do it consists of spinach, avocado, tomato and poppyseed dressing.

Formalhaut
04-04-2013, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't mind a salad on the side, but I wouldn't have it has a main meal or anything like that. It's not filling enough.

Bearing that in mind, I'm often in love at salad bars.

Calliope
04-22-2013, 04:09 AM
Also, I win friends with it.

Agent Proto
04-22-2013, 04:16 AM
Thousand Island is top tier salad dressing.

Pumpkin
04-22-2013, 04:20 AM
I like salad with lettuce, tomato, shredded cheddar, and italian or caesar dressing. Never egg or any meat but bacon. Rarely bacon.

LocoColt04
04-22-2013, 04:33 AM
Thousand Island is top tier salad dressing.Thousand Island is every secret sauce ever.

If it's a Chef's Salad (which is hardly a salad, but rather a giant meat sandwich without the loaf of bread), I'll go for a homestyle ranch dressing. If I'm gonna have a heart attack in a bowl, I may as well go all out.

Otherwise;

Romaine and spinach, with a variety of the following: carrots, broccoli, corn, sprouts, asparagus if handy, shredded cheddar & mozzarella, SOMETIMES bacon or tomato or avocado or some combination. Dress with either: light oil & vinegar with light salt and lots of pepper, OR fresh lemon and lime juice, salt, and pepper.

Formalhaut
04-22-2013, 04:35 AM
Salads with meat in are probably the best ones, mainly because it strikes a balance for me as 'carnivore' and 'healthy eating'.

I concur with the above notions of how awful salad dressing is. Ugh. Gimme olive oil and a very light sprinkling of salt any day.