PDA

View Full Version : Korean food is best food!

Miriel
04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyn87abXds1qg0b8fo1_500.jpg

Korean BBQ = unlimited meat, which you cook right in front of your face.
A crap top of flavorful, delicious veggie sides served with every meal.
Soup also included in every god damn meal.
Restaurants give you complimentary dessert. Free frozen mothersmurfing yogurt!

CAN IT GET ANY BETTER?! No. It can't.

Talk about how Korean food is the best food!

Pheesh
04-01-2013, 11:37 AM
We were staying just off of Korea town in LA and didn't once try Korean BBQ, despite getting a lot of recommendations, I really regret it now. Next time I'm in Melbourne I'll have to track down a good one as my state is terrible for any kind of dining.

kotora
04-01-2013, 11:54 AM
I made me some kimchi a couple times. It was pretty good but most people around couldn't really appreciate the spicyness.

There's this little Korean place in town I go to every once in a while. Gotta love their kimchi pancakes. Would've been much better if they sold soju though :cry:

Psychotic
04-01-2013, 11:59 AM
I have never had Korean food before but I am interested in your unlimited meat idea and wish to subscribe. Tell me more about the meat.

Miriel
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
I have never had Korean food before but I am interested in your unlimited meat idea and wish to subscribe. Tell me more about the meat.

OK.

There's usually anywhere from 6-10 different kinds of meats you can order. Marinated ribs (or unmarinated), beef brisket, thin slices of pork belly (basically bacon), chicken, shrimp, octopus, etc. And you can keep ordering plates over and over. So if you have a plate of brisket and you love it, you can go back and order more of it until you feel like barfing cause you ate so much.

The marinade for the beef is a delicious mix of soy sauce, sugar, garlic, sesame oil, onions, and peppers. IT IS TO DIE FOR.

The meat also comes to your table raw.

http://www.thedeliciouslife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/chung-dam-kbbq-bulgogi.png

At which point you cook it up at a grill placed in the center of your table.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/tntdiner/files/2012/04/KOREAN-BBQ-1-480x315.jpg

You eat it alongside a bunch of fresh veggies and salad. This is important otherwise you will get meat fatigue too quickly. You must pace yourself! And one of the best things, the sauces! You get a hot chili garlic sauce or a sweet soy sauce or a salty sesame oil sauce to dip your meats in. It makes everything delicious to the max.

And one of my fav parts, the soup! They bring it out halfway through your meal and place it on the hot grill so it can cook and bubble up.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b940e220d65b5958f3bdd18512e232fc/tumblr_mesh4hI0Q81rux0w0o1_500.jpg

Occasionally at the end of the meal, the staff will take whatever leftover meat and veggie and rice there is and throw it onto the grill and create this fantastic fried rice concoction. NOM NOM NOM.

We were staying just off of Korea town in LA and didn't once try Korean BBQ, despite getting a lot of recommendations, I really regret it now. Next time I'm in Melbourne I'll have to track down a good one as my state is terrible for any kind of dining.

Noooooo. ;_;

If there's anything you *have* to eat while in LA, it's Korean food. And then Mexican food.

Pheesh
04-01-2013, 12:19 PM

Noooooo. ;_;

If there's anything you *have* to eat while in LA, it's Korean food. And then Mexican food.

I actually got served authentic Mexican food in San Diego by a family that we were tail-gating with at the Chargers game, It was so amazing. But yeah, I really regret not going to one of the many, many Korean BBQ places that were literally 5 minutes walk from us :(

Psychotic
04-01-2013, 12:36 PM
I delighted in hearing these tales of meat and I will now investigate Korean BBQ. I have learned through the power of the internet that there is such a restaurant in the nearby sitting of Birming Ham and will attend the next time I am there. I encourage all fellow British EoFFers to join me in this quest for Korean BBQ. Thank you, Lady Miriel, thank you.

Jinx
04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I've never had it, but that looks great!

Are all/majority of Korean meals like that, or is that just what they serve in restaurants?

Miriel
04-01-2013, 01:26 PM
The unlimited meat thing, that's just for Korean BBQ. And fair warning, the unlimited thing seems to only exist in places with very large Korean populations. If the Korean restaurant doesn't have a korean name, and is instead called something like Korean Palace, then you're not likely to get unlimited meat. I grew up with it in SoCal, where it's ubiquitous, but even in Northern California it's harder to find.

All regular korean meals, whether it's BBQ or at a tofu house or just eating at home, does come with banchan (http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Banchan) though. It's one of the best things about Korean food. No matter what your main meal is, you get a ton of little sides to eat with it.

Del Murder
04-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Korean food is pretty good. BBQ is one of my favorite things ever.

I also really like bibimbap (rice mixed with a bunch of stuff and hot sauce) and donkatsu (breaded pork cutlet).

We had Korean food for dinner last night actually!

Goldenboko
04-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Holy shit I love bibimbap.

Loony BoB
04-01-2013, 04:35 PM
I love bibimbap too! I've never had it, but with a name like that, it can't be bad.

This Korean BBQ thing sounds pretty awesome. This threads reminds me of when I lived in Auckland, the variety of food in that city was amazing and there was a decent Korean population. Turns out there area couple of Korean restaurants in Edinburgh, though... don't think they have the unlimited meat option (is it safe to assume that also comes with unlimited veg/rice?).

I like Thai and Chinese food while with Japanese I tend to stick to the sushi (not a fan of the few other Japanese meals I've had). Which of these is Korean most similar to, if any of them?

Agent Proto
04-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Bulgogi is good. I love that stuff. :D Kimchi is alright, but it can be too strong for me.

Miriel
04-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I like Thai and Chinese food while with Japanese I tend to stick to the sushi (not a fan of the few other Japanese meals I've had). Which of these is Korean most similar to, if any of them?

It is most similar to Mexican food.

Loony BoB
04-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Ooh, how unexpected. =o Interesting... will have a look through the menus sometime and order something in.

Renmiri
04-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Quimchee, Bulgogi, korean salted fish... yum

Shorty
04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
I love Korean BBQ! There's so much food that it's never finished.

Del Murder
04-04-2013, 06:53 AM
I'd finish it. Me and one of Miriel's friends can really pack it in at the all you can eat places. We order more plates just for the two of us while the rest of the group is rubbing their stomachs.

Night Fury
04-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Mmmm food. Mmmmm Korean food. I really want soommee!

Rostum
04-04-2013, 10:35 AM
I love Korean food! It's a new craze in Melbourne at the moment, there are tons of Korean restaurants and BBQ places opening up all around the city and a lot of them are quite delicious!