PDA

View Full Version : Foods you used to love but hate now.

Jinx
04-04-2013, 07:09 PM
The thought of eating Chinese food literally turns my stomach.

I don't like pizza anymore. I might eat it sometimes, but it's very rare.

I'm starting to go off cauliflower.

Pike
04-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I go through phases with string cheese where I'll love it, hate it, and love it again.

maybee
04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Peanut Butter

Don't read unless you want to be put off the Peanut and Jelly Sandwiches forever. Please. :cry:

FDA laws allow for an average of 30 insect fragments per 100 grams of peanut butter. In that same half cup of peanut butter, you’ll also find at least one rodent hair (on average). Yum! Now that’s good eating!

Shorty
04-05-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm pretty sure there's something like that with all processed food. If I can't see it, I don't care.

I don't think I've stopped liking something I used to like. My palette has expanded since I was a kid.

Pike
04-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Peanut Butter

Don't read unless you want to be put off the Peanut and Jelly Sandwiches forever. Please. :cry:

FDA laws allow for an average of 30 insect fragments per 100 grams of peanut butter. In that same half cup of peanut butter, you’ll also find at least one rodent hair (on average). Yum! Now that’s good eating!

I read it and I don't care, peanut butter sandwiches are amazing and I'll continue to devour them en masse

Jinx
04-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Yeah, that's really not that big of a deal. The bugs are so ground up I don't even notice. And hell, I like my peanut butter crunchy anyways.

Madame Adequate
04-05-2013, 08:36 PM
look if picking parasites out of his sister's fur and eating them is good enough for steve, then eating crushed-up bugs is good enough for the rest of us :colbert:

maybee
04-06-2013, 10:13 AM
I read it and I don't care, peanut butter sandwiches are amazing and I'll continue to devour them en masse

More Rat hair/ poop and bugs for you then I guess.

Yeah, that's really not that big of a deal. The bugs are so ground up I don't even notice. And hell, I like my peanut butter crunchy anyways.

Lol

That's fine if you still enjoy PB. Completely fine. Though I'm put off PB forever.

Jinx
04-06-2013, 01:16 PM
You honestly probably shouldn't eat any food ever, then.

Pheesh
04-06-2013, 04:07 PM
You honestly probably shouldn't eat any processed food ever, then.

That's better.

Rantz
04-06-2013, 05:10 PM
I don't think I've stopped liking something I used to like. My palette has expanded since I was a kid.

Pretty much. I already struggle to think of foods I don't like, I don't think any of the few exceptions are things I've previously liked. Food is great, I'm not picky.

Unless you count like, weird-ass candy like jawbreakers or super flowery synthetic tasting bubblegum that all kids go wild for.

Mirage
04-06-2013, 05:22 PM

That's better.

Lol, do you really think not a single bug will find its way into your nonprocessed food?

Pheesh
04-06-2013, 06:45 PM

That's better.

Lol, do you really think not a single bug will find its way into your nonprocessed food?

Nope, nor did I say that I care if it does, but they were talking about peanut and some weird FDA regulation that applies to processed food and she then generalized it to all food. It's not fair that just cause the guy doesn't like the idea of eating peanut butter that she make him out to be some weirdo who should stop eating.

Jinx
04-06-2013, 07:32 PM
I didn't do that, Phil. x)

What I DID do is say: if you are that concerned about gross things (not just bugs) finding their way into your food, you're probably SOL.

Pike
04-06-2013, 09:18 PM

More Rat hair/ poop and bugs for you then I guess.

First of all, it's harmless in those small quantities.

Secondly, have fun not eating chocolate, anything with wheat or flour in it, or a whole list of other things anymore, either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_Defect_Action_Levels

EDIT: Here, have the whole list from A - Z. http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/SanitationTransportation/ucm056174.htm#intro

Want some highlights?

CINNAMON: Average of 400 or more insect fragments per 50 gram

CHOCOLATE: Average is 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams when 6 100-gram subsamples are examined (there's rodent hair here, too)

FRUIT JUICE: Average mold count is 10% or more

COFFEE: Average 10% or more by count are insect-infested or insect-damaged

CORN: Insect larvae (corn ear worms, corn borers) 2 or more 3mm or longer larvae, cast skins, larval or cast skin fragments of corn ear worms or corn borer and the aggregate length of such larvae, cast skins, larval or cast skin fragments exceeds 12 mm in 24 pounds

FIGS: Average of 10% or more by count are insect-infested and/or moldy

MUSHROOMS: Average of over 20 or more maggots of any size per 100 grams of drained mushrooms

PEACHES: Average of 3% or more fruit by count are wormy or moldy

PEAS AND BEANS: Average of 5% or more by count insect-infested and/or insect-damaged by storage insects in a minimum of 12 subsamples

PINEAPPLE: Average mold count is 20% or more

POPCORN: 1 or more rodent excreta pellets are found in 1 or more subsamples, and 1 or more rodent hairs are found in 2 or more other subsamples

POTATO CHIPS: Average of 6% or more pieces by weight contain rot

RAISINS: 10 or more whole or equivalent insects and 35 Drosophila eggs per 8 oz.

TOMATOES: Average of 10 or more fly eggs per 500 grams

PIZZA SAUCE/KETCHUP: Average of 30 or more fly eggs per 100 grams

WHEAT: Average of 32 or more insect-damaged kernels per 100 grams

So in short, enjoy eating tonight :)

Pheesh
04-07-2013, 04:12 AM
Just so you guys don't drive this poor fuck to an eating disorder.

The defect levels do no represent an average of the defects that occur in any of the products--the averages are actually much lower.

None of that stuff is any worse than when people tell you how much bacteria actually lives on your toothbrush or the amount of germs you'll put in your body by eating with your hands.

maybee
04-07-2013, 09:05 AM
I was going to come into today and say that there is actually more hidden bugs and rat hair/ droppings in more food than just PB because I did some more research but Pike was just too fast and quick. :cry:

So in short, enjoy eating tonight :)

I enjoyed my Coffee tonight very much thankyou.

Mirage
04-07-2013, 10:20 AM
How did the bug fragments in it taste?

maybee
04-08-2013, 06:51 AM
How did the bug fragments in it taste?

Good but a bit crunchy though.

Mirage
04-08-2013, 08:47 PM
On topic though, I don't think there is any food that I used to like that I no longer like. There are some foods that I am tired of, but they don't exactly taste bad because of that. Just a bit boring.

Shorty
04-08-2013, 10:08 PM
I did remember something I used to love and now hate. Creamed corn. I ate it ALL the time, and it was the only corn I would eat. Now the thought of it just makes me shudder.

Denmark
04-08-2013, 10:45 PM
insects are good for you. just don't think about them being there.

my food tastes have really only expanded over the course of my life. i used to be WAY pickier than I am now.

Calliope
04-11-2013, 06:06 AM
So many of the foods I ate as a child/young adult I would not eat now: Powdered milk, instant ramen, dried vegetables, white bread, white sugar, corn syrup, any easily avoidable animal products.